Drunk drivers could face jail time without suspension during Songkran

webfact

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

These folks have no clue as to how endemic drunk driving is, even their own folks crash when intoxicated and DUI .....  utterly clueless    

And yet motorcycle riders get on here and cr@p on how they are safer than everyone else because they have “50 years riding experience”. Wrong. Their lives here are always in the hands of the endemic-level drunk drivers, regardless of their riding experience. 

Edited by Nemises
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

If only , that's what needs to happen , but maybe it is only

words, like every year , lock em up , then maybe it will get

through to those that drink drive, that is not acceptable ,

there needs to be a change.

regards worgeordie

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The first loan my now ex-wife received was for 7 years and that was on an already 6 year old Mercedes she bought from a friend who was still making payments.........She bought it for 300k less then the friend had initially paid 6 years prior, what a joke on how much resold cars command here.  And so in essence the bank was getting 13 years of payments.  Stupid 

Your wife got terms over 7 years... That is common.

What ever the previous owner had paid does not come into the equation.

So my question still stands, do banks give car loans over 12 yr terms ?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 2long said:

Has anyone pointed out to the fools in charge that drunk driving is bad all year round, always,... and forever!?

And that the Police don’t decide what rules apply. They prosecute them and the courts decide on what laws are passed through parliament.

it’s a simple process if only everyone understood their role

Edited by Reigntax

Tough to change when these folks are part of the problem.  They ask others not to do something but the rules don't apply to them. I wonder when they got together to discuss this important topic was it doing clicking glasses of Hong Tong? ????

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Your wife got terms over 7 years... That is common.

What ever the previous owner had paid does not come into the equation.

So my question still stands, do banks give car loans over 12 yr terms ?

I understood what you wrote, but my point was in essence the loan period when you added them together was 12 years that the bank was collecting on.  I myself have never heard of a loan longer than 7 years.  I don't do loans I pay the cash upfront and walk with the best discounts I can obtain at the time.  A 12 year loan would be crazy, but I guess if you were buying a Top end Mercedes for 12 MThb and could only afford a certain amount as a payment every month along with the down, then if you had a decent job and owned a home anything is possible.

35 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Just follow what works. Take Australia model. If driver is drunk, car goes into press. With 12 years of payments left on it, that's quite a harsh punishment...

Sorry but Australia does not have any such policy and only a magistrate has power to make such a judgement

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I understood what you wrote, but my point was in essence the loan period when you added them together was 12 years that the bank was collecting on.  I myself have never heard of a loan longer than 7 years.  I don't do loans I pay the cash upfront and walk with the best discounts I can obtain at the time.  A 12 year loan would be crazy, but I guess if you were buying a Top end Mercedes for 12 MThb and could only afford a certain amount as a payment every month along with the down, then if you had a decent job and owned a home anything is possible.

Unless, dealers are offering interest rates of about 1% in which case it’s far cheaper to take out a loan as the currency devaluation over the loan period will mean a lower actual cost.

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

Just follow what works. Take Australia model. If driver is drunk, car goes into press. With 12 years of payments left on it, that's quite a harsh punishment...

If the Cars of the Drunk Drivers here were crushed, that would be a massive deterrent.

Many think more of their Car than their Kids, and with the prospect of having to pay for a load of scrap Metal for many more Years ( some have 9 Year Loans out ) would really make them think.

Sobriety testing for all Bus and Coach Drivers, as well as Truck Drivers before departure would also help.

Thailand has a massive Alcohol problem, and it really needs to be sorted out 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

If the Cars of the Drunk Drivers here were crushed, that would be a massive deterrent.

Many think more of their Car than their Kids, and with the prospect of having to pay for a load of scrap Metal for many more Years ( some have 9 Year Loans out ) would really make them think.

Sobriety testing for all Bus and Coach Drivers, as well as Truck Drivers before departure would also help.

Thailand has a massive Alcohol problem, and it really needs to be sorted out 

And a way to electrify the car park quickly...

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Banks would do car loans over 100yrs if they could to collect the interest, simple fact is they do not give loans on terms longer than 7yrs that I know of... hence I asked the other poster if they do 12 as claimed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nemises said:

And yet motorcycle riders get on here and cr@p on how they are safer than everyone else because they have “50 years riding experience”. Wrong. Their lives here are always in the hands of the endemic-level drunk drivers, regardless of their riding experience. 

That is true, but only up to a point. If you are always aware of what is going on roundabout you and riding defensively it cuts the odds right down, though nothing is 100%.

8 hours ago, 2long said:

Has anyone pointed out to the fools in charge that drunk driving is bad all year round, always,... and forever!?

Its all part of the cowardly blame game culture of Thailand.

The Alcohol did it.

The pick up did it.

Songkrain did it.

It's never the Thai person did it.

• Like 2

Why "could face a jail sentence"  Either every drunk driver does or does not. A court in one province will invariably treat a drunk motorist differnetly from a drunk motorist in an adjoining province.

Lets have some clarity from the government.   EVERY motorist  (motorbikes included)  will be imprisoned for a minimum period (say 6 months), have the vehicle confiscated and banned from driving from life  That will make people think, and its clear and concise!

Nobody........and I mean nobody needs to be imprisoned, or banned from driving for life is they just obey the law!

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

That is true, but only up to a point. If you are always aware of what is going on roundabout you and riding defensively it cuts the odds right down, though nothing is 100%.

Correct, and speaking of cutting down the odds…

Odds (of being killed by one of the millions of endemic-level drunk drivers here) are cut down even further if you’re inside a defensively-driven, largepickup truck instead of being on top of, a defensively-ridden motorcycle

• Like 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

All agreed that drunk driving must be dealt with decisively during the long holidays and that the courts should not suspend jail terms, he said.

There is the biggest part of the problem,people drink and drive all year long!

If you look at the road deaths per day during the holidays you see that the numbers are

almost the same as any other day.Why would that be?

However i do notice that at more locations,later at night the RTP does have check points to

deter people from drinking and driving.

In small towns and far off places this will never happen and so the carnage will continue.

• Like 1