Carnage on the Thai roads: You ain't seen nothing yet says official as DUI is blamed

webfact

2 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Herein is the gist of the problem.  Last year a 14 year old girl on a motor cycle, with 2 mates on the back, were skylarking in the soi behind us when they hit a 10 year old and broke his leg. 

My Thai sister in law, a bright university educated lass with a high end job, was called in to liaise between the families over compensation.  Two weeks later she posts a video on facebook of her own 10 year old riding a motorcycle in a suburban street, minus helmet, and boasting how clever she is!!  

Do you see whats missing?

I DO see what’s missing - critical thinking-. A Thai university education amounts to comparatively very little given their lowly world rankings and doubt the 'high end job' is anything of the sort vs a Western skill set. My Thai stepdaughter was taken away to have a UK education at 9 years old,has a UK University Economics degree and a 'real' high end job in on line commerce. 
Her thinking now is simply not Thai in any way (thank goodness) . 
They are just not the sharpest tools in the shed over here as both the average IQ and lowly rankings in the PISA Educational tables attest.

• Like 2

RTP doing their usual thing, deflecting attention from the real reason for the massive death and injury rates in Thailand. That reason being a nearly complete lack of policing and enforcement of existing laws.

The citizens of Thailand are complicit in the carnage because they wantonly break every road law possible on a daily basis and then show mock netizen horror when someone gets a noricable event on video.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Road Warrior said:

like the picture police painting kerb line !!!  bet Thai's dont know what this  means ???  most Thai's dont know which way to drive & what red light means and yellow box at traffic lights .most think it a place park prior to light change  !!!

BOX JUNCTION  "not allowed to be/stop  in there" but there again it means nothing to any thai driver

• Like 2

3 hours ago, piewarmer said:

Those red and white striped kerbs mean absolutely no parking (unless using hazard lights), Songtaews and Tuk-Tuks also exempted.

So true but at the top of my soi the red and white has been worn down and as a place to stop with a couple of food places on AH 2  they are ignored .  I could go on more ...but enough.

Feeling "upbeat" would not be my feeling ahead of what I would hope was an awakening by Thai driving culture to cool its attitudes down a bit.

So when some figures are published a few days into Songkran, he and  we will know his predictions were true. Good JOB, Man!!

I cant prove it but I think accidents where more than 70% of accidents involving motorcycles and 50% or more of those wearing no helmets, causes more deaths than being Drunk in Charge directly.

Being DUI causes accidents in the first place but many deaths arise from not wearing helmets and has therefore exacerbated the DUI situation.

And of course speeding.

And...

And...

ETC

20 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

RTP doing their usual thing, deflecting attention from the real reason for the massive death and injury rates in Thailand. That reason being a nearly complete lack of policing and enforcement of existing laws.

The citizens of Thailand are complicit in the carnage because they wantonly break every road law possible on a daily basis and then show mock netizen horror when someone gets a noricable event on video.

noricable ..............damn that is a fine word and will try to use it at least twice over soakrun.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Behind them was a placard saying in Thai "Mao Mai Khap" - Don't drink and drive. 

I would have translated that as drunk, don't drive.

In our area they are posters alongside the roads saying the same thing ,will the Thai's take any notice ......no ,the only way  is for our police force to do their  job properly ,odds of that happening a Songkan or New Year without any deaths ,or just a few ,like in our own countries .

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

How did she feel when she went back to Thailand?  Did she feel like she couldn't relate to her old friends?  Was she happy?  Was Thailand suddenly boring to her  Did she feel out of place, uncomfortable, etc.?

4 hours ago, nchuckle said:

I DO see what’s missing - critical thinking-. A Thai university education amounts to comparatively very little given their lowly world rankings and doubt the 'high end job' is anything of the sort vs a Western skill set. My Thai stepdaughter was taken away to have a UK education at 9 years old,has a UK University Economics degree and a 'real' high end job in on line commerce. 
They are just not the sharpest tools in the shed over here as both the average IQ and lowly rankings in the PISA Educational tables attest.

Correct.  I recall walking through the family home after her meeting with the parents and the family were all sitting around shaking their heads and criticizing the young bike rider.  I interjected saying no, it was the parents fault for allowing a child to be in charge of a motor cycle in the first place.  They all looked at me dumbfounded and ever so thoughtful but you could almost hear the gears slowly turning over in their heads as though the grease was far too thick to produce any thoughtful conclusions.

17 hours ago, Purdey said:

The official translation of  "Mao Mai Khap" is "don't drive drunk". No one in the alcohol business wants to stop anyone having a drink, just don't get drunk...

NO. Just DO NOT DRIVE.

I had to do the Thai driving test recently to renew my licence. It was appalling. They learned nothing about road safety and competence. They need a much more rigorous way of training drivers.

They also need real traffic police, but everyone knows that already.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, prevention, enforcement of the law, or concern toward the arrest of very reckless drivers. 

Those of us with driving skill, and a strong desire for not only survival, but the avoidance of terrible injury, are constantly scanning the road, in front of us, beside us, and behind us. There are an exceptionally high number of reckless fools on these roads, and it is the only way to preserve our lives, and those of our families, and friends, who may be driving with us, and depending on us. 

When I was growing up, we took drivers education courses. They showed us horrendous films, of semi trucks plowing into cars, and literally obliterating everything in their path. They also showed us graphic images of head on collisions. 120mph impacts. Even as a young kid, it made quite an impression. It was horrific, and it was hard to get those images out of your head afterwards. But, it left a lasting impression, and when I started driving, I understood it was serious business, and that it was a very dangerous thing to do. Also, I had the benefit of my lovely Mom, as my instructor. She spent countless hours in the car with me giving me tips, advice, and teaching me driving etiquette, courtesy and respect toward other drivers. That was priceless, and I doubt many Thai kids benefit from that kind of guidance. 

Thanks for the survival strategy, which I adhere to every time I drive on Thai roads here.

You have to drive for yourself and every other driver / vehicle that is in your 360 degree vision range.

Touch wood, this has worked for me for 5 years now; not saying it won't eventually happen, but I do everything possible to mitigate my chances of being taking out by one of these loony idiots. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, prevention, enforcement of the law, or concern toward the arrest of very reckless drivers. 

Those of us with driving skill, and a strong desire for not only survival, but the avoidance of terrible injury, are constantly scanning the road, in front of us, beside us, and behind us. There are an exceptionally high number of reckless fools on these roads, and it is the only way to preserve our lives, and those of our families, and friends, who may be driving with us, and depending on us. 

When I was growing up, we took drivers education courses. They showed us horrendous films, of semi trucks plowing into cars, and literally obliterating everything in their path. They also showed us graphic images of head on collisions. 120mph impacts. Even as a young kid, it made quite an impression. It was horrific, and it was hard to get those images out of your head afterwards. But, it left a lasting impression, and when I started driving, I understood it was serious business, and that it was a very dangerous thing to do. Also, I had the benefit of my lovely Mom, as my instructor. She spent countless hours in the car with me giving me tips, advice, and teaching me driving etiquette, courtesy and respect toward other drivers. That was priceless, and I doubt many Thai kids benefit from that kind of guidance. 

The one we were shown was Red Asphalt during our drivers training in High School in California.  Later after working as a LEO we made several newer versions and showed them during our Smart Start Program which gave new drivers an eyeful since Drivers education had been tossed from the schools decades ago.  

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOVP.vb4lCQgDxM-Zdvhltm4eRAHgFo%26pid%3DApi&f=1

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 6:24 PM, Dialemco said:

Does anyone check if drivers  have a Driving License until they are actually involved in an accident? 

Rhetorical question as I don't know who has or who has not been involved in an accident already.... 90% maybe? But there are certainly plenty of checks for licences on the roads.