The "What I DIY'd over the holidays" thread.

Crossy

Just spent 2 days replacing all the door insect screens. Were not that bad, just little nicks and rips from dogs and kids. SWMBO has hinted that I do the windows as well as they are 10 years old too and a slightly different colour.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mister T said:

SWMBO has hinted that I do the windows as well as they are 10 years old too and a slightly different colour.

A SWMBO "hint" is as good as an instruction, better start looking at paint colours ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got the house build going, and the wife, not me, has been busy everyday.  Following up and fixing some of their work, that's embarrassing.  But adding things not in the contract.  

The ongoing compost

Herb garden, pre-tiling, planting of, now actually finished

image.png.807ee2a1498013d907f1b193e55559b7.png

Under front porch thingy ... seems a good place for the air compressor.

finished also, though can't find completed photo of either.

image.png.41cb4c3439c1635b7fe953d0bf1625e6.png

Me, all I did lately was ziptie a new, bigger battery (blue) to my ebike.  That tuckered me out enough.  I might have mentioned once or 10 times, I'm a LPOS

image.png.c78fd2b382db0929ef3518106d20e47b.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

Chopped some branches off a tree that was overhanging my neighbours house. No other plans at the moment. 

Now you need to look at those branches and decide what you are going to make, picnic table, bird feeder or what?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Chopped some branches off a tree that was overhanging my neighbours house. No other plans at the moment. 

I do have to break out the chainsaw soon, and cut down a neighbor's dead mango tree before it falls our way.   Can't get a hold of him, and he never came out when surveyors were there, couple years ago, so he won't miss it.  Should send him the bill for services rendered ... ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I do have to break out the chainsaw soon, and cut down a neighbor's dead mango tree before it falls our way.   Can't get a hold of him, and he never came out when surveyors were there, couple years ago, so he won't miss it.  Should send him the bill for services rendered ... ????

I've got the trunk of a magnolia we took down earlier this year seasoning, not sure what it's going to be yet we really have enough garden furniture. Could turn up some fruit bowls I suppose.

3 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I have to admmit that the branches weren't that big. Couldn't really use them for anything apart from staking a few plants. 

There you go, next task plant staking ???? 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It's never too late to learn a new skill!

My dream was to make a stitch-and-glue kayak when I retire, but then I'd have all kinds of trouble getting it to the dam so I am thinking of other things to do instead. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Hung one of our fire extinguishers on the wall - It's been sat on the floor for ages and the proper hanger has wandered off. Made a new hanger. Madam happy - PASS ???? 

I did the same, though the hanger was with it.

I did manage to get my extension application submitted, book my return flights to the U.K. and have been ordering stuff to pickup there that I can’t get here so I’m getting several Amazon notifications daily now, but I slipped into an Amazon prime free month so I’ve been looking at the available movies.

• Like 1

I am soldering a couple of boards together for my LED lights.

I still have to get used to SMD technology. For most parts it works fine but for some tiny components this is not so easy.

I finished already one board completely which works. Now I work on 4 more.

This is one with only the SMD parts which I did today.

IMG_20220413_191344.thumb.jpg.87929fedd47270a84860aab930eec085.jpg

Here is a long video about that project. The guy has also a website with great information about all kind of LED lights.

• Like 2

Today's "mini jobs":-

• Re-attached one of the irrigation pipes where it had "fallen off" the wall, needed new clips.
  • Similarly replaced the pipe clip on an outside tap.
  • Moved Madam's mop-stand to a more convenient location (it's bolted down so not just a pick up and move it job).

I'm sure someone is building up for more tasks ???? 

• Like 1

Up with the lark this morning to get some stuff done before it got too hot!

The list is getting shorter!

• Fixed another irrigation pipe back to the wall (2 places, 8 clips - at least I could re-use the existing screws and plugs).
  • Adjusted the TV antenna which was pointing towards the ground after someting pretty large decided to perch on it (TV was working fine).
  • "Assisted" Madam moving more of her container plants around (she directed, I moved!).

It's too darn hot now and too early for a beer, so I have zero-sugar Coke!

• Like 1