Dicing with death: Thai motorists continue to play with their lives on the roads

webfact

Thailand-Road-Safety_web.jpg

During the Songkran festival, perhaps even more so than during other long holidays, the issue of road safety is taken seriously. The fact that we still call the Thai New Year holidays  “the 7 dangerous days” and report the daily death and injury tolls says a lot about the situation. Pandemic or not, Thailand’s roads remain the deadliest in Southeast Asia, and among the top 10 in the global hall of shame.

As Thais travel for vacations or to their homes during the major festival, which this year ends on Sunday, April 17, the number of road injuries and deaths increases. The pattern is repeated every year and the reasons behind the injuries of fatalities are always the same – drunk driving, speeding, and not wearing helmets. Sadly, all the causes of accidents can be prevented.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Every time the road safety issue is highlighted such as during festivals or after shocking accidents, the authorities go on high alert and react. But most of the time, it is the same old Thailand where lax law enforcement, negligent police, and irresponsible drivers meet on the streets. That’s the reason why Thailand’s road fatality rate is more than double the global average of 18 per 100,000 population. In 2012, Thailand’s fatalities caused by road accidents were 36.2 per 100,000 people according to the World Health Organisation (WHO)’s report.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/dicing-with-death-thai-motorists-continue-to-play-with-their-lives-on-the-roads/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-04-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

The problem is that they don't see it as dicing with death.

They are brought up to believe Budda will protect them and therefore they can do what they like, when they like and no harm will ever befall them....If only life was that simple.

I run 10 amulets, Iam safe.

If it does turn to kaka I will be reincarnated.

All is good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

No short cuts and bad driving and drunk driving sure as hell wont get them paradise, maybe reincarnated as the next bug that splatters on my windscreen...

Thank you. Your comment will make my day ????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The fact that around 80% of these fatalities are on motorbikes after dark on rural roads, then the "Thailand's roads" is taking things out of context.

got any links to stats to back that up ?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Reading the article makes me think that the Title should be Dueling ....not Dicing.

Duels involve matched weapons.

Death has an extensive arsenal.

Thai drivers have only luck and amulets.

Not a duel but a slaughter.

More to the point, they are killing each other with wild abandon.

Don't blame it on Death or Buddha.

3 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

The problem is that they don't see it as dicing with death.

They are brought up to believe Budda will protect them and therefore they can do what they like, when they like and no harm will ever befall them....If only life was that simple.

Maybe not quite that simple.

I think they are brought up to believe that if you give BIG to Buddha, you will be OK in the NEXT life.

4 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Thailand is only country in this planet where everybody think DUI is normal behavior! Everybody do it and mostly not get any fine or any judgement from it! Only if you crash you get fault from crash but you can buy you way out of it easily, even somebody die in that crash! 

UK in the 1920's being drunk was accepted as a reasonable excuse and waiver from criminal prosecution if you caused death, injury or damage to property whilst driving a motor vehicle or horse drawn carriage or riding a horse. It seems that is the attitude in Thailand today

• Like 1

5 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

I don't mind at all if they play with their lives. Let them play! 

But, if they play with innocent people's lives, health or property, then they need to be taken away.

The shame is if they go to other countries they will drive the same as they do here, and nobody will make allowances for them there as they do for them here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

The shame is if they go to other countries they will drive the same as they do here, and nobody will make allowances for them there as they do for them here.

Unfortunately in the UK they may get off lightly. There are many cases of foreigners being let off or getting reduced sentences/fines because they claimed they 'didn't understand our road rules'.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

and the reasons behind the injuries of fatalities are always the same – drunk driving, speeding, and not wearing helmets.

Ah... I see it's exactly the same reasons as during the entire rest of the year. The truth is that Thailand actually is in a perpetual state of "dangerous days" as far as road traffic is concerned. 

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

I have no problem with Thai motorists dicing with their own deaths. It's when they dice with mine that I get concerned.  I write this almost weekly/weakly; things will never improve till Thailand gets a police force.

And a decent government who can  make sure the police do their jobs