Does it annoy you when co owners and tennants in your condo do not obey the rules

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

Not strictly true, whilst each Condos Articles of Association will broadly contain all clauses that are contained in the Condominium Act, many condos also insert provisions directly and uniquely for the management of their Condominium.

No.. Firstly, there is no "each Condo's Articles of Association..". The document is identical for every Condominium building in Thailand. It's a Template. As I said, the only difference is a section detailing the voting share percentage for the units in a particular Condominium.

Secondly, the provisions are called By-laws. And yes, By-laws relevant to a particular Condominium are valid.. after they have been passed by the Co-Owners Committee and approved by the Land Office. If this process has not been followed, the Juristic and/or the Committee are bluffing. Large fines are a giveaway.. there are not many options for fines in either the Condo law or the Articles of Association.

Remember, it's a Condominium. The Owners own the building and many Committees are not eager to create friction with the other Owners. Hence many rules are just blah blah. No By-law, no rule.

15 hours ago, newnative said:

Better to not allow individual residents to commandeer public spaces that they don't own.  The hallways remain as the uncluttered walkways they should be--especially for safe passage in an emergency.

But the Owners do own the hallways and the other common areas. They own them in common with all the other co-owners.

Unsurprisingly, several terms have been used in this thread that do not mean the same thing. A tenant is not an Owner. A resident is not necessarily an Owner.

For the Owners, it's their building.

35 minutes ago, bobbin said:

But the Owners do own the hallways and the other common areas. They own them in common with all the other co-owners.

Unsurprisingly, several terms have been used in this thread that do not mean the same thing. A tenant is not an Owner. A resident is not necessarily an Owner.

For the Owners, it's their building.

Yes, of course, the owners jointly own the common spaces--didn't think I had to state the obvious.  My point was an individual owner doesn't independently own portions of the common space--such as the hallway outside his door.  If it's common space, it's not private space for an owner to take over for his own use.  

18 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

The pots and plants outside my apartments are artificial. I wouldn't put a live plant outside that needed watering.

They add colour, depth and warmth to the corridors.

I'd prefer that than a set of doors  like a cheap hotel.

Outside of your room is…. Wait for it……common area. 
Check what’s permissible in the bylaws. 

Edited by LarrySR
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LarrySR said:

Outside of your room is…. Wait for it……common area. 
Check what’s permissible in the bylaws. 

Again - so in Thailand people do not take their shoes off and leave them OUTSIDE the apartment in the COMMON space. WAIT for it - most people do that & is expected !

What does annoy me is people that don't know Thai traditions ????

Next time you go for a massage please don't leave your Doctor Martens or pointe shoes outside in the common area ( not owned by the shop ) please ????

Edited by Pmbkk
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

Again - so in Thailand people do not take their shoes off and leave them OUTSIDE the apartment in the COMMON space. WAIT for it - most people do that & is expected !

What does annoy me is people that don't know Thai traditions ????

Next time you go for a massage please don't leave your Doctor Martens or pointe shoes outside in the common area ( not owned by the shop ) please ????

Well, I hope by now you've checked your condo bylaws, have decided to be a good neighbor and removed that artificial plant from the common area to inside your unit. 

You do have the rights to attend the AGM and take a vote on your brilliant plan to festoon the hallway.

The co-owners adopt bylaws because some owners are unrefined louts and will turn the building into vertical slum, their stuff hanging off the balconies, engage in doltish behavior that annoys other residents,  stockpiling their belongings in the corridor or take on the role of self appointed interior decorator in the common areas.

I keep my shoes inside because having them in the common area looks like tenement housing and makes it more difficult for the housekeeper to mop the floor.

Edited by LarrySR
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Henryford said:

If i see any items outside rooms (against the rules) i just move them to the bin area for disposal.

I hope your neighbours guests are aware of this when they visit and leave their shoes outside the door !!!! 

I do agree though, personal items (bikes, shoe racks, plant pots whatever) should not be outside the rooms in a shared / communal areas. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Henryford said:

If i see any items outside rooms (against the rules) i just move them to the bin area for disposal.

I'm sure you are a fun guy to be around, but I did trow towels in to pool, who I previous had removed from the sunbeds x times, while they where eating breakfest or had lunch.

So after a couple arguments, and warnings I just placed them in the pool. I had no more arguments with that couple again.

The main problem was lack of functional sunbeds.

12 hours ago, Hummin said:

I'm sure you are a fun guy to be around, but I did trow towels in to pool, who I previous had removed from the sunbeds x times, while they where eating breakfest or had lunch.

So after a couple arguments, and warnings I just placed them in the pool. I had no more arguments with that couple again.

The main problem was lack of functional sunbeds.

I agree it's not nice but what's the alternative? just put up with their behaviour? The sort of people who do this (and the sunbed thing) are usually not conducive to rules or reason.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 3:39 PM, jippytum said:

Does it annoy you when co owners in your condo do not obey the rules

poor management

It's annoying when the Juristic management do not apply rules that are broken by the developer. 

I bought a condo in a new project and the Juristic management are in bed with the developer. 

Rules are broken by the developer, I make the Juristic aware but nothing changes. 

New projects...... its unfair that the developer chooses the Juristic management company to run the condominium project. 

Our condo is managed by one of the bigger Juristic management companies, sadly they show more concern about getting more business from the developer with future condo projects. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's annoying when the Juristic management do not apply rules that are broken by the developer. 

I bought a condo in a new project and the Juristic management are in bed with the developer. 

Rules are broken by the developer, I make the Juristic aware but nothing changes. 

New projects...... its unfair that the developer chooses the Juristic management company to run the condominium project. 

Our condo is managed by one of the bigger Juristic management companies, sadly they show more concern about getting more business from the developer with future condo projects. 

At the AGM you know what to bring up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:
5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Pointless, some of the committee members are working for the developer. 

You sound like a quitter, you need someone who will push for change

I'm outnumbered. 

I'm going to regroup, find some co-owners to go into battle with me. 

Trouble is most co-owners are Chinese and Russians.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 9:40 PM, DefaultName said:

Compared to some posters, my condo block seems fine.  My biggest peeve is that the (Thai) juristic person / building manager seems to make and implement whatever rules she wants.  No AGMs these days either, Covid is the excuse as usual.

I THINK it is a law that an A G M has to be held so many days after the financial year !!!

could b wrong ........

On 5/3/2022 at 5:17 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Pointless, some of the committee members are working for the developer. 

Co-owners often don’t want to get involved and the scamming types can easily get control of the building, fixing the Juristic Manager that should be overseeing the operations, arranging crooked votes at the AGM, awarding management contracts / overpriced services & maintenance contracts to ‘buddies’, perform illegal renovations or steer improvement budgets to their personal benefit, playing games with the books and drain the accounts. 
At my condo the JM started a painting business when it was time to paint the building with a multi million bt contract, some board members suddenly were contractors overseeing common area improvements and the projects bidding didn’t conform to regulations. The ‘building attorney’ working for the manager turned out to be a scamming property appraiser with no law license. (But he is was paid like bonafide lawyer.) We became aware of the fiasco…we discovered the sinking fund bank balance was zero and we were broke.
The auditor we hired couldn’t begin to decipher the books. 

Edited by LarrySR

25 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

At the end of fiasco…we discovered the bank balance was zero and the auditor we hired couldn’t begin to decipher the books

Exact same situation with us. Even our sinking fund was cleared out. We co owners took the developer and JM to court at our own expense and the case was essentially dismissed by the judge. Likely attends the same private members club as the developer. 

• Like 1