Electric Vehicles in Thailand

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Just over 2 weeks ago I ordered The BYD Seal Performance in Space Grey ...

congratulations! the byd seal performance in space grey would also be my choice. 

i will wait a few more months to make a final decision. perhaps next year, 

some (for me) interesting cars will become available in thailand, such as:

hyundai ioniq 5 and 6 / denza n7 / avatr 11 and 12 / byd song L ...

Edited by motdaeng
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Just over 2 weeks ago I ordered The BYD Seal Performance in Space Grey. I was 7th in the queue then and I am currently 4th in the queue for that model/colour, there are 22 in the queue for the mid model in that colour which seems to be the most popular.  Hopefully, I will get it later this month.  I too have the BYD camera sat in a draw waiting to be fitted.

My youngest daughter hardly ever drives her car (a Suzuki Ciaz) and doesn't want an EV which suits me because she parks her car in the sun and doesn't move it for weeks on end.

My eldest daughter wants to take my MG4 which frees up her Grey Metallic 13 month old MG EP+ with 11,000km on it.  I will probably be advertising it later this month.  I haven't a clue what to ask, it cost 771,000 in October last year, is immaculate, has dashcam and both dip & main beam bulbs upgraded to Xenon HID. MG wall charger still new in the box.  What do you think it's worth?

Excellent choice, am severely tempted to upgrade my choice from Premium Space Grey to Performance Space Grey especially as my two nearest showrooms ( 18 and 36km ) have this model ready for delivery.

” I can resist everything except temptation “.    Oscar Wilde

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

If you order the extra NFC at 500 baht, can they be used so the first one sets driver's seat position for driver 1 and so on?

Not sure if I understand what you're getting at.

Are you suggesting to buy a second NFC card and then card 1, when swiped on the exterior mirror, will position the driver's seat for driver 1 and card 2 will position it for driver 2?

My guess is that that won't work. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not even sure what the purpose of the NFC is. It seems to do everything a key fob does except open and close the doors remotely.

24 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

If you order the extra NFC at 500 baht, can they be used so the first one sets driver's seat position for driver 1 and so on?

My sales girl quoted me ฿300 for a second NFC card (you get 2 keys) - not sure about the seating position

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Not sure if I understand what you're getting at.

Are you suggesting to buy a second NFC card and then card 1, when swiped on the exterior mirror, will position the driver's seat for driver 1 and card 2 will position it for driver 2?

My guess is that that won't work. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not even sure what the purpose of the NFC is. It seems to do everything a key fob does except open and close the doors remotely.

Yes, it would make so much sense.

7 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

7 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

My sales girl quoted me ฿300 for a second NFC card (you get 2 keys) - not sure about the seating position

And my sales girl on 25 Oct stressed not to lose the  NFC card as a replacement would cost Bt10K.   I wonder if my salesgirl was just flat out wrong or there is a different price for an extra vs a replacement.  Next time I go to the dealership I will ask again.  Just know the sales girl "stressed" not to lose the card as it's expensive to replace....and she was not talking the electronic key.

54 minutes ago, Pib said:
8 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

And my sales girl on 25 Oct stressed not to lose the  NFC card as a replacement would cost Bt10K.   I wonder if my salesgirl was just flat out wrong or there is a different price for an extra vs a replacement.  Next time I go to the dealership I will ask again.  Just know the sales girl "stressed" not to lose the card as it's expensive to replace....and she was not talking the electronic key.

To put my comment into context, I asked my sales girl what the charging speed of the granny charger was and she said 7kW

• Haha 1

Just now, Alotoftravel said:

Hi PiB,

wise choice with a suv purchase 🙂 175mm ground clearance 

Yea...a Seal with its 120mm ground clearance would have probably been plowing water up over the hood (bonnet).

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Sad people are still that ignorant of so many things in the 21st Century, with so much info available.  His reply is just one ignorant statement after another.

What is even more sad is that in the 21st Century a great many people who post on online forums can't reply to other members in a polite and reasonable way.  They quite often speak to people in a way they probably wouldn't dare to in person.

Not that I want to be accused of hijacking the thread again but instead of simply stating that I am ignorant, please tell me exactly why and back it up with evidence.

Your rude reply fails to take account of my overall and completely reasonable assertion that people may wish to look further into the claims made about EV's before determining whether they fit with their reasons for buying one.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Understand the difference between Lithium Ion and Lithium Iron Phosphate ( LFP ) batteries.

https://www.here.com/learn/blog/lithium-ion-vs-lithium-iron-phosphate#:~:text=Lithium iron (LiFePO4) batteries are,applications such as electric vehicles.

Thank you for that, I've done a little reading and LFP batteries do in fact sound much more environmentally sound than other types of battery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Pib said:

The wife and I did our longest trip so far in our Atto....a 158Km roundtrip from western Bangkok to a seaside seafood market named Don Hoi Lot in Samut Songkram province.  On the way back it started raining like cats and dogs on Rama II Road....lots of road construction as they are building the elevated portion of the highway....very poor drainage along the construction areas....bumper to bumper traffic in some locations...and at one time we drove thru approx 2Km of flooded highway...water depth about 100 to 150cm (twice that on the edges of the road that we stayed out of)...absolutely no way to pull of the road....had no problem at all driving thru the flooded area.  This was a good example of how sometimes the rain comes so fast and you are in a location where there is just no way to pull off the road and wait it out....you must continue on.  

<snipped>

I guess you meant 100-150mm? No way you could drive through a meter and a half of flooding.

13 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Thank you for that, I've done a little reading and LFP batteries do in fact sound much more environmentally sound than other types of battery.

what cars sold in Thailand are using LFP batteries, and are any EV cars built or planned to be built in Thailand

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, steve187 said:

what cars sold in Thailand are using LFP batteries, and are any EV cars built or planned to be built in Thailand

Here's a few, and probably more out there.   Some sites, just list them as Lithium Ion, which is confusing at times, and unless specified 'LFP' many assume it's not.  MG ZS 2022 was listed that way, but is actually using LFP chemistry.

Actually had a hard time verifying it was LFP, as UK & Au sites/news specified it was, bu not Thai sites.   Verified it by reading user manual.

image.png.b3ab79988448a38012af9056df67b2e7.png

(MG ZS EV Long Range (not available in TH), does NOT use LFP)

"It's already being used by the MG ZS EV and BYD Atto 3 crossover SUVs, base variants of the Tesla Model 3 sedan, Model Y SUV, and GWM Ora small hatchback. Unlike NMC and NCA, LFP batteries don't contain nickel, cobalt and magnesium, resulting in cheaper manufacturing costs.Feb 19, 2023"

edit:  noted in reply below ... Ora Good Cat (not 500 version)

source

"SAIC Motor opens 1st EV battery plant in Thailand"

source

NETA V ... maybe next year's model will offer LFP batteries

source

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 2

Posted more than a few times, but worth a repeat, some folks think 2500 cycles is very conservative:

Could contain:

Not if only the rest of the car can keep up with the motor & battery longevity 🤣

Edited by KhunLA

18 hours ago, Pib said:

The wife and I did our longest trip so far in our Atto....a 158Km roundtrip from western Bangkok to a seaside seafood market named Don Hoi Lot in Samut Songkram province.  On the way back it started raining like cats and dogs on Rama II Road....lots of road construction as they are building the elevated portion of the highway....very poor drainage along the construction areas....bumper to bumper traffic in some locations...and at one time we drove thru approx 2Km of flooded highway...water depth about 100 to 150cm (twice that on the edges of the road that we stayed out of)...absolutely no way to pull of the road....had no problem at all driving thru the flooded area.  This was a good example of how sometimes the rain comes so fast and you are in a location where there is just no way to pull off the road and wait it out....you must continue on.  

My average speed was probably around 80-90KmH although portions was around 10KmH in bumper to bumper traffic and up to 120KmH for maybe 10Km of the trip.  Car is still quiet at 120KmH and wind noise was close to zero at that speed....but if you listen real close you could hear just a little wind noise around the external mirrors at 120KmH 

Below is a snapshot of the trip results.  I left on the trip with 100% charge and 495Km range showing....range determination setting on Dynamic vs Standard.  Regen braking set to Standard.  Set to ECO mode as I'm still in the 2,000Km break-in period...when in ECO mode (vs Normal or Sport) the car still has plenty of power.   It may just live its entire life in ECO mode....but I'll give Normal and Sport mode a try after the 2000 Km break-in period.

Left home with 100% charge...after the 158.4Km trip I was home again with 70% charge remaining.   Basically for each 1% of charge I got 5.28Km.  10.9KWH energy used per 100Km.    

image.png.228c84ac9538d99611c4403f0d3f13dd.png

Did you have to wait 7 days for the apps and some functions to be activated?

3 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Did you have to wait 7 days for the apps and some functions to be activated?

I was told around 7 days....but I haven't tried using/registering with the app yet since it don't really do much. 

What other functions are suppose to be activated?

19 minutes ago, Pib said:

I was told around 7 days....but I haven't tried using/registering with the app yet since it don't really do much. 

What other functions are suppose to be activated?

The CCP voice monitoring and cabin video recording should already be active just in case you criticize Beijing. Some Chinese cars just return a smile face 😀 if you say the word China.

How is the Fortuner taking the new family member, still feeling loved ❤️?