Electric Vehicles in Thailand

9 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

If you go only TOU meter it might not be as economical as you think.

IMG_1674.thumb.jpeg.be3306d9e5000bc6d78f3f67b8cae681.jpeg

IMG_1677.thumb.jpeg.3ae838da3b239c5069087804f005925b.jpeg

NOTE: this is only a temporary price drop, better to wait and see what happens next year before committing to only TOU meter.

Yes, I know/agree  Where I said "I may switch to a TOU meter in the future" the operative word is "may" because I already know from considering a TOU meter 15 years ago when I bought my Bangkok house which showed TOU probably would save me very little (or maybe nothing) based on how much electricity I use and when I use that juice. 

Just a few days ago I did another quick analysis using the MEA online Electric Monthly Calculator which is accurate to the stang based on KWH usage you enter and based on my current usage (approx 1200KWH per month)....then increasing that to 1400KWH due to EV charging along with an estimation of how much of that 1400KWH would occur during the  On Peak and Off Peak periods and the TOU service would result in approx  Bt300 saving per month...that is, Bt6,421 with TOU compared  Bt6,715 non-TOU.    But this Bt300 savings does on take into acct any upfront/switch over costs that might be incurred. 

AND, unless I did charge my EV during the Off Peak period (i.e., night time) I probably wouldn't save anything...TOU might even cost me a little more than I pay now due to how/when I use electricity.   I may not want to charge my EV at night when I'm sleeping; instead prefer to do it during the daytime when I can keep an eye on things.

TOU is definitely good  for those folks who can concentrate the majority of their electricity use to the Off Peak/night time....like maybe "not" running a couple of air cons during the day ---just sweat it out---but run the air cons at night when you sleep to recover from sweating out a hot day.  :smile:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

My EV hasn't caught fire yet that I've noticed, after wading through some substantial flooding last couple of days.

On "how well sealed are EV batteries" I previously posted a vid of an EV-qualified engineer in Oz dismantling a battery from an Atto. He made this comment about the battery's water resistance:

"There is a thick gasket all around the outside where the top plastic case bolts down onto the aluminium base and there are O rings around all the connections. The pack also had a couple screw vents on top that equalised pressure when I undid them so the pack is air tight"

Air tight and water proofing  aren't the same. Do the manufacturers do submerge water testing? It can take awhile also for the corrosion to continue before ...KABOOM! It may not be an instant explosion. How to check if seals have been compromised besides ripping the battery apart. Much like a car that's been classed as written off when airbags go off, I'd probably think same for EV after battery compromised.

Changan going all in in Thailand building its first plant in Rayong .

From what I have seen briefly their cars look very good, especially the Deepal SL03 and S7.

Should be interesting to see the motor show in Bangkok ( Nov 30 to Dec 11 ).

Anyone going ?

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

My EV hasn't caught fire yet that I've noticed, after wading through some substantial flooding last couple of days.

On "how well sealed are EV batteries" I previously posted a vid of an EV-qualified engineer in Oz dismantling a battery from an Atto. He made this comment about the battery's water resistance:

"There is a thick gasket all around the outside where the top plastic case bolts down onto the aluminium base and there are O rings around all the connections. The pack also had a couple screw vents on top that equalised pressure when I undid them so the pack is air tight"

Not sure about the statement  "how well sealed are EV batteries" Here is a picture of one with a huge hole in the plastic cover Bill to replace was B675K

https://www.facebook.com/blinkdrive555/posts/pfbid0XZd3VyonkPS4fQ76MrrRDgvr1KSqprcQeS8Agg4cScFUUx8PxtHC4qoKZf9Mygxjl

How where rats able to do this to my TESLA???

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?ref=saved&v=1311136919588339

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Not sure about the statement  "how well sealed are EV batteries" Here is a picture of one with a huge hole in the plastic cover Bill to replace was B675K

https://www.facebook.com/blinkdrive555/posts/pfbid0XZd3VyonkPS4fQ76MrrRDgvr1KSqprcQeS8Agg4cScFUUx8PxtHC4qoKZf9Mygxjl

I'd consider that a design flaw, a expect it to be covered under warranty.   Not that I ever would, but certainly wouldn't let anyone I know buy a Tesla, with warning, if not covered.  Also, don't know anyone that would, as better values out that, unless all you care about is an abstract T on the your car.

Buy 2 MGs, or 1 Tesla ... hmm

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

As OP this was in my original post some 4,000 posts ago.

I posted this as I knew that the haters would be out in force to hijack this discussion as they have done for so many others. 

They clearly don’t want anyone to buy an Electric Car and will spread disinformation, loony theories and pathetic lies to achieve their objective.

Most are incapable of constructing a coherent argument and due to a lack of formal education have no comprehension of the scientific method. Most of what they post is uniformed opinions and hearsay.

Feeding the troll only encourages them.

It is best to ignore them or suffer the fate described best by Mark Twain.

I also like the one about playing chess with a pigeon. 

If you can't handle a public forum that includes all walks, take your discussion to a private safe space. The signalling platform will be greatly reduced but at least you won't be suffering us low level simpletons.

Attacking peoples education standard because they don't understand something is low but comes as no surprise here.

One would think that people who have confidence in their choices along with the education to explain the technology can handle the negatives without personal attacks and compartments. On the other hand, it’s understandable that people will be a little sensitive after parting with large chunks of cash for products that lack a solid track record.

PS

In the future you might consider using the superior education to write a clear OP.

This is a discussion about EVs available or coming to Thailand.

This is not a discussion about Chinese cars

Edited by Fruit Trader
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Thanks for the post. Interesting. I am very surprised though that a replacement battery was needed if the only damage was that hole in the plastic cover. Here's a screen grab from the battery teardown vid I referenced: would be quite a lot of effort to get the battery out of the chassis but after that, I don't see why just changing the cover wasn't an option. 

image.png.29e0e26628d3b05eda823deb7dfd0986.png

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Thanks for the post. Interesting. I am very surprised though that a replacement battery was needed if the only damage was that hole in the plastic cover. Here's a screen grab from the battery teardown vid I referenced: would be quite a lot of effort to get the battery out of the chassis but after that, I don't see why just changing the cover wasn't an option. 

I thought the same.  Maybe they don't have qualified technicians or the parts available in Thailand as presumably the batteries are assembled in China.

50 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

I suspect some sort of error must have occurred that resulted the car being taken to a service centre for the battery to be removed. The battery is the most expensive part of the total vehicle cost approx 50-60% of the total vehicle cost. You would hope that car designers would think okay what do i need to do to protect the most expensive part of the vehicle.

When banks transfer money between different locations they use  armoured trucks and they use  armoured trucks for a reason I am sure there are cheaper options but they don't provide the same level of security and protection

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, vinny41 said:

You would hope that car designers would think okay what do i need to do to protect the most expensive part of the vehicle.

Yes, but to be fair to them, do car designers really think about how to protect cars from attack by rodents? I'm not sure there's any way to do that anyway. Rats / mice will get in to any nook or cranny and they do like gnawing on cables and rubber insulation. However I'm surprised a rat or whatever was that interested in the hard plastic battery cover. Not making that cover from metal may be a safety thing, unless the metal is absolutely non-conductive. 

Yes, but to be fair to them, do car designers really think about how to protect cars from attack by rodents? I'm not sure there's any way to do that anyway. Rats / mice will get in to any nook or cranny and they do like gnawing on cables and rubber insulation. However I'm surprised a rat or whatever was that interested in the hard plastic battery cover. Not making that cover from metal may be a safety thing, unless the metal is absolutely non-conductive. 

I understand it is impossible to have any vehicle that can be completely protected from rodent just I believe being that the battery is 50-60% of the total cost there has to be a better material that plastic. as far as i know there is only one brand that has  installed plastic covers on 2 of their models the other model doesn't use plastic as it uses  CTB technology

Interesting article here on

CTP vs CTC vs CTB, which one is better

https://www.tycorun.com/blogs/news/compare-ctp-vs-ctc-vs-ctb-will-byd-ctb-technology-be-the-best#:

Looking at the size of the hole from the rat bit (earlier post) I think largest concern for most owners especially in Thailand will be water ingress I am aware that there are after market products available but will they affect the warranty of your vehicle is a question that hasn't been answered yet

It used to be the reasoning was, in the very unlikely event of a fail, what will happen will be a catastrophic event then we should not do it. 

Example Nuclear technology. Some went with the risks and bad things happened. 

EV, everything will be fun until a fail. The uncontrollable fires are an acceptable risk to some that they tie lithium batteries to the sides of their houses with their own children sleeping inside. The batteries are very safe. Sure, but what happens when they do fail. I guess humans want to progress technically at whatever costs. In my opinion that doesn't mean we are advancing mentally and fairly. I'll be pondering that when EVs become more abundant and one is smoking up in front of my window as I watch reruns of my favourite TV sitcoms. Please don't park your cars EV vehicles here will be a sign.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimeMachine said:

It used to be the reasoning was, in the very unlikely event of a fail, what will happen will be a catastrophic event then we should not do it. 

Example Nuclear technology. Some went with the risks and bad things happened. 

EV, everything will be fun until a fail. The uncontrollable fires are an acceptable risk to some that they tie lithium batteries to the sides of their houses with their own children sleeping inside. The batteries are very safe. Sure, but what happens when they do fail. I guess humans want to progress technically at whatever costs. In my opinion that doesn't mean we are advancing mentally and fairly. I'll be pondering that when EVs become more abundant and one is smoking up in front of my window as I watch reruns of my favourite TV sitcoms. Please don't park your cars EV vehicles here will be a sign.

what movie did you watch?

still waiting for repairing parts?

good luck 🤞

• Love It 1

5 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

what movie did you watch?

still waiting for repairing parts?

good luck 🤞

Not so much movies but news and YouTube. Do the research, get the answers. I would normally accept they are just deep fake videos but having a lithium drill battery explode in your hands makes you wonder how different things are to the reality we see.

Edited by TimeMachine

11 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Not so much movies but news and YouTube. Do the research, get the answers. I would normally accept they are just deep fake videos but having a lithium drill battery explode in your hands makes you wonder how different things are to the reality we see.

it seems, not only your timemaschine is faulty ... you should get yourself some time to recover ... all the best to you! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

it seems, not only your timemaschine is faulty ... you should get yourself some time to recover ... all the best to you! 

Recover from boredom? Life is tuff with tuff decision 😉 All the best to you and all forum goers. Xmas is coming up for all u God loving falang. Stay safe and enjoy the silly season.

Preparing to have your free EV WallBox installed.

GNHT4371.thumb.jpeg.6a38bb137806d18b4f316acf75fe95d0.jpeg

VNKT6090.thumb.jpeg.5a07b2d910a87569cec77787d6378b38.jpeg

BYD’s WallBox installation team has already contacted my wife about the install and they had some questions for her about the meter size, location of the installation and the nearest breaker box.

I am pleased BYD use a different install team to MG as the installation was a nightmare.

They insisted to use their own breakers, which I said were not designed for the breaker box and represented a safety risk.

This is the breaker box after their installation - I have removed most of the remains of the fried gecko that had pushed it’s way into the gap.

IMG_2612.thumb.jpeg.1b7dd7a73e395407a0d15a08f78c4542.jpeg

Before BYD’s visit I changed the breakers to Siemens and freed up a space for the new wall box.

IMG_2634.thumb.jpeg.be13634b97a2bd3ba1fa609e534e77aa.jpeg

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Preparing to have your free EV WallBox installed.

GNHT4371.thumb.jpeg.6a38bb137806d18b4f316acf75fe95d0.jpeg

VNKT6090.thumb.jpeg.5a07b2d910a87569cec77787d6378b38.jpeg

BYD’s WallBox installation team has already contacted my wife about the install and they had some questions for her about the meter size, location of the installation and the nearest breaker box.

I am pleased BYD use a different install team to MG as the installation was a nightmare.

They insisted to use their own breakers, which I said were not designed for the breaker box and represented safety risk.

This is the breaker box after their installation - I have removed most of the remains of the fried gecko that had pushed it’s way into the gap.

IMG_2612.thumb.jpeg.1b7dd7a73e395407a0d15a08f78c4542.jpeg

Before BYD’s visit I changed the breakers to Siemens and freed up a space for the new wall box.

IMG_2634.thumb.jpeg.be13634b97a2bd3ba1fa609e534e77aa.jpeg

They'll love you.

I had a open breaker (on grid) set aside for MG wall cable, and of course, he wanted to run his own line instead.   Oh well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

They (geckos) do get everywhere ... lucky they don't eat plastic or rubber ...

image.jpeg.a09c74a817b0b99257f59dee31670b58.jpeg

• Haha 1

BYD were offering an aftermarket aluminium cover for the battery pack but I'm not sure if it completely covers all of the stock plastic. In any case I don't worry about rodents nibbling my car: I have cats. A cheap and effective solution.

Also, battery prices will continue to fall and it wouldn't surprise me if, in a couple of years, a battery costs half what it does now. It would be great with EVs if you could choose to swap out the battery in a couple of years and replace with one that charges faster and holds more power. Go from the Atto current 60 kwh pack that charges at 80+ kw to a 100 kwh pack that charges at 150+ kw. 

At the moment Nio  does offer swappable batteries they have options where you can either purchase vehicle with battery or vehicle and no battery and pay a monthly subscription to rent a battery which does include an option to upgrade the battery if your planning to do a long journey

The break even point in prices between outright purchase of battery vs monthly subscription seems to be 72 months

SAIC are providing swappable CATL batteries and have announced that MG will be next to offer swappable CATL batteries

From 2025 all EV batteries need to be locally source in Thailand so I guess we will have to wait and see if anyone open a battery plant that supplies swappable batteries

https://carnewschina.com/2023/04/12/maxus-mifa-7-mpv-revealed-in-china-with-swappable-catl-battery/#:~:text=Later in September last year,and Maxus brands following suit.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

One to watch out for if you are in the market for a SUV EV in the near future . ( hopefully interior comes in other options also ).

Neta X
SUV car, 100% electric power, location size C-SUV is equivalent to Honda CR-V, bigger than BYD ATTO 3, AION Y Plus officially launched in China with specs expected to enter Thailand as a big battery model, running distance 501 km. Chinese price starts from 680,000 baht.
Price in China is slightly cheaper than BYD ATTO 3.
Looking forward to launching in Thailand Motor Expo later this year.
Data from Autospinn

IMG_1684.jpeg.7f218c858624b3836aa625876ad4e55c.jpeg

IMG_1685.jpeg.7e2726c0f46e7c9b43a8f85d4fab7d00.jpeg

IMG_1687.jpeg.1432ee002230a77512342afdfc20a790.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

One to watch out for if you are in the market for a SUV EV in the near future . ( hopefully interior comes in other options also ).

Neta X
SUV car, 100% electric power, location size C-SUV is equivalent to Honda CR-V, bigger than BYD ATTO 3, AION Y Plus officially launched in China with specs expected to enter Thailand as a big battery model, running distance 501 km. Chinese price starts from 680,000 baht.
Price in China is slightly cheaper than BYD ATTO 3.
Looking forward to launching in Thailand Motor Expo later this year.
Data from Autospinn

IMG_1684.jpeg.7f218c858624b3836aa625876ad4e55c.jpeg

IMG_1685.jpeg.7e2726c0f46e7c9b43a8f85d4fab7d00.jpeg

IMG_1687.jpeg.1432ee002230a77512342afdfc20a790.jpeg

I love the interior colour and the bold use of gold trim.

• Like 1

Previously, it was exposed by the Chinese regulator under the Neta U Max name. However, Neta decided to call this SUV just ‘X’. In fact, it isn’t a new model but a facelift of the current Neta U-II SUV. The Neta X has recently rolled off the

https://carnewschina.com/2023/09/18/neta-x-electric-suv-reveals-interior-as-it-rolls-off-the-production-line-in-china-sales-to-start-soon/#:~:text=Previously%2C it was exposed by,the production line in China.