Electric Vehicles in Thailand

1 minute ago, motdaeng said:

it depends on how you interpret the numbers. 

another way to look at it is that they've lost a significant number of customers

who are now buying electric cars instead of choosing vehicles from brands like Toyota or Honda!

It's going to be interesting to see the breakdown of registrations during 2024.  There's no doubt this industry has been well & truly disrupted.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A question for the electrical types on here:

Have been granny charging my Seal for a few days now on and off. It starts without any issue.

Unlock to open charging port then lock car, plug granny charger into wall and then into car, car starts to charge ramping up to 1.8 kw .

To stop I unlock car to allow unplugging from car, remove from wall socket and lock car.

All hunky dory until a couple of minutes later the associated breaker drops out, feels hot to the touch and won’t stay up for about 5 minutes.

This happens every time, can charge for hours but shortly after stopping charging it drops out.

Anything I should do differently or any reason for this ??

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Have been granny charging my Seal for a few days now on and off. It starts without any issue.

Unlock to open charging port then lock car, plug granny charger into wall and then into car, car starts to charge ramping up to 1.8 kw .

To stop I unlock car to allow unplugging from car, remove from wall socket and lock car.

All hunky dory until a couple of minutes later the associated breaker drops out, feels hot to the touch and won’t stay up for about 5 minutes.

This happens every time, can charge for hours but shortly after stopping charging it drops out.

It sounds like a faulty breaker, you're doing everything right.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The granny charger will draw approx 10A.  If you have it plugged into a circuit, say a 16A/20A circuit (a typical wall outlet) with 16A/20A breaker, and say that circuit is already drawing say 10A because it's powering an air conditioner on the circuit or just some other piece(s) of electrical equipment then make sure you are simply not overloading the circuit when the granny charger is plugged in. 

"I know" you said the breaker doesn't trip until a few minutes after unplugging the charger which would lower the amperage draw on the circuit which should prevent the breaker from wanting to trip but sometimes electrical components can act in the strangest ways....even opposite to the way the should act especially if they are defective, going bad, or when interacting with some other electrical device on the circuit.   And if the breaker is a RCBO type then than can throw even more "strangeness" is what might happen. 

So, you might want to check as to what other electrical devices are on the circuit (if any) all the time and if their amps draw when combined with the approx 10A draw of the granny charger is taking that circuit/breaker to it's limit which could cause that breaker to trip "and even do strange things of tripping after the amps draw has been lowered below the tripping point."   

And like like JBChiangRai said it may just be a defective breaker.  Breakers in the 20A ball park are dirt cheap....you could replace it to be sure, but you really should know how much the circuit/breaker is carrying with the granny charger plugged in as even with a new breaker you don't want to be running a circuit at it's max all the time as it will heat up....and that breaker could get very war if the circuit is running at or above it's max.

approx 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Agree with JbChiangrai and Pib. What sort of meter do you currently have? 15/45 or 30/100? If the former, you can either upgrade or have PEA fit a 2nd meter, like I did, for your wall charger. If you go down this route, it’s not a bad idea to fit another two electrical outlets for extra power points. My consumer unit has 4 fuses. A 40A for the wall charger, 2 x 20A for 2 electoral sockets and a spare one for the fun of it.

IMG_0330.jpeg

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Pib said:

The granny charger will draw approx 10A.  If you have it plugged into a circuit, say a 16A/20A circuit (a typical wall outlet) with 16A/20A breaker, and say that circuit is already drawing say 10A because it's powering an air conditioner on the circuit or just some other piece(s) of electrical equipment then make sure you are simply not overloading the circuit when the granny charger is plugged in. 

"I know" you said the breaker doesn't trip until a few minutes after unplugging the charger which would lower the amperage draw on the circuit which should prevent the breaker from wanting to trip but sometimes electrical components can act in the strangest ways....even opposite to the way the should act especially if they are defective, going bad, or when interacting with some other electrical device on the circuit.   And if the breaker is a RCBO type then than can throw even more "strangeness" is what might happen. 

So, you might want to check as to what other electrical devices are on the circuit (if any) all the time and if their amps draw when combined with the approx 10A draw of the granny charger is taking that circuit/breaker to it's limit which could cause that breaker to trip "and even do strange things of tripping after the amps draw has been lowered below the tripping point."   

And like like JBChiangRai said it may just be a defective breaker.  Breakers in the 20A ball park are dirt cheap....you could replace it to be sure, but you really should know how much the circuit/breaker is carrying with the granny charger plugged in as even with a new breaker you don't want to be running a circuit at it's max all the time as it will heat up....and that breaker could get very war if the circuit is running at or above it's max.

approx 

Thanks, it’s a 20A breaker feeding a lounge/dining room, no air con, but tv, wireless router, lights, ceiling fan, floor fan and a fridge ( yes, I have a fridge in my dining room ! ).

Maybe the fridge is tipping it over the edge ?, I might try and put the fridge back in the kitchen as this granny charging is only a temporary thing ( wall charger and 2nd circuit TOU meter to come ).

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Thanks, it’s a 20A breaker feeding a lounge/dining room, no air con, but tv, wireless router, lights, ceiling fan, floor fan and a fridge ( yes, I have a fridge in my dining room ! ).

Maybe the fridge is tipping it over the edge ?, I might try and put the fridge back in the kitchen as this granny charging is only a temporary thing ( wall charger and 2nd circuit TOU meter to come ).

The fact it's tripping some minutes after you stop charging the car is odd, the current will have dropped by 10amps and it shouldn't trip.  It's getting hot too and seems to be tripping as it's cooling down which suggests it's a faulty breaker.  It's also possible it isn't seated right, or the cable isn't making a good contact with the breaker, either of these would cause it to heat up, it still shouldn't trip as it cools down.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Agree with JbChiangrai and Pib. What sort of meter do you currently have? 15/45 or 30/100? If the former, you can either upgrade or have PEA fit a 2nd meter, like I did, for your wall charger. If you go down this route, it’s not a bad idea to fit another two electrical outlets for extra power points. My consumer unit has 4 fuses. A 40A for the wall charger, 2 x 20A for 2 electoral sockets and a spare one for the fun of it.

IMG_0330.jpeg

Thanks,
Currently on a 15/45 but will get a TOU ( 2nd circuit ) meter when the wall charger is installed , PEA already authorised.

Definitely plan to put another couple of sockets for those weekend barbecues !

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

The fact it's tripping some minutes after you stop charging the car is odd, the current will have dropped by 10amps and it shouldn't trip.  It's getting hot too and seems to be tripping as it's cooling down which suggests it's a faulty breaker.  It's also possible it isn't seated right, or the cable isn't making a good contact with the breaker, either of these would cause it to heat up, it still shouldn't trip as it cools down.

Agree, I need to get it looked at anyway.

This week is hectic, having film fit now, hope to squeeze the rear view camera fitting in and also have a retirement extension to look forward to Thurs or Fri !

57 minutes ago, macahoom said:

There are positives if you have to wait until January.

1) It'll be a 2024 car.

2) You'll have learnt even more fascinating, riveting and intriguing tips and info from the BYD Seal tips, tricks and help thread.

I had already agreed with the dealership that they won't register it until January, but obviously the warranty starting this year would be the giveaway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Incidentally, charging speed (Kw) is linked to voltage.  The car will draw up to 32 amps but not more, so if you have a voltage drop to (say) 200 volts, the most you will get is 6.4Kw conversely, if you're on solar and you wind the voltage up on your inverter to 240 volts you will perhaps get the full charging speed they get in the UK.

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

What sort of meter do you currently have? 15/45 or 30/100? If the former, you can either upgrade or have PEA fit a 2nd meter, like I did, for your wall charger.

How would one know what sort of meter they have ? Just looked at ours and there's nothing to indicate to a layman like me whether it's 15/45 or 30/100 (not that I know the difference anyway, got so much to learn 😅).

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Incidentally, charging speed (Kw) is linked to voltage.  The car will draw up to 32 amps but not more, so if you have a voltage drop to (say) 200 volts, the most you will get is 6.4Kw conversely, if you're on solar and you wind the voltage up on your inverter to 240 volts you will perhaps get the full charging speed they get in the UK.

BYD seal in Europe charges with up to 11 kW:   https://www.byd.com/eu/car/seal.html

2023-12-05_12-55-48.png

Edited by mistral53

1 hour ago, Melpomene said:

How would one know what sort of meter they have ? Just looked at ours and there's nothing to indicate to a layman like me whether it's 15/45 or 30/100 (not that I know the difference anyway, got so much to learn 😅).

This is what you are looking for (e.g. our meter)......... it's on all meters in one form or another

photo_2023-12-05_13-00-51.jpg

Edited by mistral53
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Melpomene said:

As said above, should be on the meter, mine was (15/45).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Melpomene said:

Got it - thanks. I can now see ours is 5/100A. Which from a quick Google search tells me these newer electronic meters are more a one size fits all so it between 5 & 100A. Which suggests it should be ok to add a charger onto this. 

IMG_20231205_105508.jpg

On electric meters when you see a number like 5 (15), 5 (100), 15 (35), 30 (100), etc.,  the number within parenthesis  represents the maximum amperage that meter can handle/accurately measure and an electric company will match the service going to your residence with the proper sized meter. 

The first number which is not in parenthesis is called the basic/calibration amperage which will be in the general ballpark of what a typical residence might normally pull amperage-wise which would typically be one-third or less of the max amps.  And for calibration checks a key calibration point is approx one-third of full range. 

The two numbers printed on an electric meter can vary greater depending on design, quality, specs required by the electric company, etc.

Like a residence with a single phase 100A service here in Thailand would usually have a 30 (100) meter installed but it could very well be a 5 (100) meter...all depends on the electric company.  A 5 (100) meter will be a higher quality/more sensitive meter than a 30 (100) meter....both are rated for 100A service  And although they would probably be pulling less than 10A without any high current devices running (like air cons) when they do turn on one or two larger air cons they could approach around 20-25A....or maybe turn on an electric water heater or clothes drier then the current is going to probably be up around 35A which is about one third of the 100A max service.

• Thanks 2