Electric Vehicles in Thailand

12 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I don't know about that, because in my blue book I only see a registration date, not a build date.

And why would anyone want to register their car 9 months after they took ownership, if they didn't plan to profit from it?

In Thailand people hang on to a red plate to indicated they have a new car,

Build date for cars can be found on sticker attached to bodywork, engine, glass

4th VIN character (letter) represents the Month of manufacture.
- 5th & 6th characters (numbers) represent the year of manufacture.
- 10th VIN character (letter) represents the Model year.
In the UK if you wanted to impress your neighbors' September and March are the months to go for always a huge rush for cars 1st September and 1st March

18 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Results of the reservations from Motor Expo 

IMG_2155.jpeg.0b960659914693f87786b411f71e24b8.jpeg

• อันดับ 1 Toyota  7,245 คัน
  • อันดับ 2 Honda  6,149 คัน
  • อันดับ 3 BYD  6,119 คัน
  • อันดับ 4 Aion  4,568 คัน
  • อันดับ 5 MG  3,568 คัน
  • อันดับ 6 GWM  3,524 คัน
  • อันดับ 7 ChangAn  3,549 คัน
  • อันดับ 8 Isuzu  2,460 คัน
  • อันดับ 9 Nissan  2,459 คัน
  • อันดับ 10 Mazda  2,159 คัน
  • อันดับ 11 NETA  1,766 คัน
  • อันดับ 12 Mitsubishi  1,675 คัน
  • อันดับ 13 Suzuki  1,615 คัน
  • อันดับ 14 Ford  1,415 คัน
  • อันดับ 15 Mercedes-Benz  1,333 คัน
  • อันดับ 16 BMW  1,188 คัน
  • อันดับ 17 Hyundai  680 คัน
  • อันดับ 18 TESLA*  528 คัน
  • อันดับ 19 Volvo  485 คัน
  • อันดับ 20 KIA  321 คัน
  • อันดับ 21 Wuling  312 คัน
  • อันดับ 22 NEX  229 คัน
  • อันดับ 23 Subaru  206 คัน
  • อันดับ 24 MINI  172 คัน
  • อันดับ 25 Lexus  140 คัน
  • อันดับ 26 Audi  120 คัน
  • อันดับ 27 Peugeot  101 คัน
  • อันดับ 28 Porsche  72 คัน
  • อันดับ 29 Lotus  41 คัน
  • อันดับ 30 Jeep  26 คัน
  • อันดับ 31 TATA  15 คัน
  • อันดับ 31 Maserati  15 คัน
  • อันดับ 33 Bentley  1 คัน
  • อื่นๆ BRG  69 คัน

Poor showing from Tesla, but what is the asterisk for? Only Tesla has one.

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

Probably much higher as some of the Volvo, Mercedes, Lexus, Lotus, Porsche and BMW orders will be EV's.

Yea, I left them off, since no breakdown.  Probably balances out, if counting BEVs vs Hybrids.  Thinking a good guess would be about 40% BEVs.  Mind boggling percentage.  

Seems everyone is comfortable with the progress made since first introduced, and not expecting any ground breaking advances to be mass produced next few years.   So safe bet financially to buy in now.

Was my thinking last year, when we bought ours.  With all the new arrivals since, there's something for everyone now.

• Like 1

https://autolifethailand.tv/top10-most-popular-motor-expo-2023/

December 13, 2023

Top 10 most popular cars at Motor Expo 2023: ChangAn Deepal S07 is the hottest.

spot_img

top10_most_popular_motor_expo_2023-copy.

Top 20 most popular cars at Motor Expo 2023 100% electric cars from Chinese brands occupy the position of ChangAn Deepal S07, followed by Aion Y Plus with reduced prices. and 3rd place Honda HR-V followed by BYD Dolphin – Honda City

Ranked from numbers obtained from calculations of the program Buy a Car...Win a Car by the organizer of Motor Expo 2023, International Media Company Limited.

• No. 1 ChangAn Deepal S07 8.5%
  • No. 2 GAC Aion Y Plus 6.5%
  • 3rd place Honda HR-V 5.9%
  • No. 4 BYD Dolphin 3.7%
  • No. 5 Honda City 3.7%
  • No. 6 Toyota Yaris Cross 3.7%
  • 7th place NETA V 3.4%
  • No. 8 Ford Everest 3.3%
  • No. 9 Ford Ranger 3.0%
  • No. 10 Honda Civic 2.5%
  • No. 11 Nissan Kicks 2.4%
  • 12th place BYD Atto 3 2.4%
  • No. 13 Honda CR-V 2.1%
  • Number 14 GWM ORA 07 2.0%
  • No. 15 Toyota Corolla Cross 1.7%
  • No. 16 BYD Seal 1.7%
  • No. 17 Isuzu MU-X 1.6%
  • No. 18 GWM ORA Good Cat 1.6%
  • No. 19 Toyota Yaris ATIV 1.4%
  • No. 20 MG 4 1.3%
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

One of the problems with owning an EV in Thailand is that you have to constantly fact-check critics who have no clue about actually owning an EV in Thailand. They ignorantly base their opinions on what they read from their home country and stupidly assume that everything is the exactly the same here in Thailand or probably worse.

Take for example public charging. In the UK the vast majority of public chargers are “slow” under 7kW or “fast” under 22kW. No wonder there are complaints about queues for chargers.

IMG_2992.thumb.jpeg.222e9e79b0f8b3fa24ad02f9a88d0c80.jpegIMG_2993.thumb.jpeg.545f1bc86080ec38c2f6bdf58f396257.jpeg

By comparison the vast majority of chargers in Thailand are the much newer “Ultra Rapid” 100kW+ with many 150kW+ which for my EV is an extra 350km of range added in just 20 minutes.

IMG_1501.png.8c83f32b0719838dafa986f831b14e5f.png

Thanks for that, very useful

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I was asked to join an Australian BYD podcast on Tuesday as that episode was focused on the BYD Seal and very few cars have arrived in Australia (In the land of the blind….)  The panelists own Atto3s currently and there are lots of videos about that car.

As always not sure where to post this, but might be of general interest to those considering a Seal v Tesla model 3

I was there !

Nearly didn’t take a look as I thought it was just one of those Ian and Chris chats.

You did good 👍 

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

One of the problems with owning an EV in Thailand is that you have to constantly fact-check critics who have no clue about actually owning an EV in Thailand. They ignorantly base their opinions on what they read from their home country and stupidly assume that everything is the exactly the same here in Thailand or probably worse.

Take for example public charging. In the UK the vast majority of public chargers are “slow” under 7kW or “fast” under 22kW. No wonder there are complaints about queues for chargers.

IMG_2992.thumb.jpeg.222e9e79b0f8b3fa24ad02f9a88d0c80.jpegIMG_2993.thumb.jpeg.545f1bc86080ec38c2f6bdf58f396257.jpeg

By comparison the vast majority of chargers in Thailand are the much newer “Ultra Rapid” 100kW+ with many 150kW+ which for my EV is an extra 350km of range added in just 20 minutes.

IMG_1501.png.8c83f32b0719838dafa986f831b14e5f.png

So how many fast DC chargers are available in Thailand? I think Thailand has the exact same problem as most of the public chargers I see in shopping malls etc are the slow AC type.

Even if there are plenty of fast DC chargers available now, at the current rate of EV sales I highly doubt the charging infrastructure will be able to keep up and it will be absolute carnage for longer weekend trips.

11 minutes ago, matchar said:

So how many fast DC chargers are available in Thailand? I think Thailand has the exact same problem as most of the public chargers I see in shopping malls etc are the slow AC type.

Even if there are plenty of fast DC chargers available now, at the current rate of EV sales I highly doubt the charging infrastructure will be able to keep up and it will be absolute carnage for longer weekend trips.

You don't really need them in shopping malls, you need fast DC chargers on major routes and the odd one or two in towns.  Hotels are already fitting AC chargers which is also necessary.

Almost every charger on major routes are fast DC and there are a plethora of them currently.

We need Condo buildings to get their act together, this must be putting a lot of people off buying EV's.

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, matchar said:

Answered so many times ... more than enough.

I think slower chargers at malls make sense, as fast chargers are simply that, fast.  Means instead of browsing around the mall, maybe getting a snack, meal while doing, you'd have to return to your car, unplug and repark somewhere.

Some malls, have both (Bluport @ Hua Hin, that I know of).  Even Lotus's now have fast chargers, and If I couldn't charge at home, would be quite convenient for us, as we only go to the local Lotus's to have ice cream @ Swensen's.  

Park, stroll in, hit Swensen's, maybe top up my Dtac, and 30 minutes is up, and EV would be topped up.  Or maybe an hour or so, if at 20% and wanting to go past 95%, as that last 5% & equalization takes 15-20 minutes by itself.

I've traveled over the weekends, just last actually, and have yet to encounter a Q.  As always, timing & planning is everything.  Not rocket science.

If you had and EV and lived, used them in TH, nothing would need to be explained to you.  

The amount of new CSs surprises myself, and they are popping up everywhere.  PTT Parks especially, as starting to see more stations w/CSs than without, which makes sense, as their subsidiary will be building EVs & the batteries for them.

If the state owned oil company providing CSs, EVs and battery production isn't enough of a hint which way TH is headed ... well, nuff said.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Park, stroll in, hit Swensen's, maybe top up my Dtac, and 30 minutes is up, and EV would be topped up.  Or maybe an hour or so, if at 20% and wanting to go past 95%, as that last 5% & equalization takes 15-20 minutes by itself.

You cannot balance using DC chargers.

I think newer condo will be more accommodating to EV owners.  Daughter just bought into one, and its was only a couple years old development, delayed opening sales by covid, and a huge builder (IDEO), which does accommodate charging in the parking area.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, matchar said:

New From Electric Vehicle Association of Thailand give it a try

https://evat.or.th/ev-information/charge-station/index

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

I was asked to join an Australian BYD podcast on Tuesday as that episode was focused on the BYD Seal and very few cars have arrived in Australia (In the land of the blind….)  The panelists own Atto3s currently and there are lots of videos about that car.

As always not sure where to post this, but might be of general interest to those considering a Seal v Tesla model 3

You need to remember that 1.88% interest in Thailand is not the same as everywhere else, it's not calculated on depreciating balance, it's 1.88% of the capital multiplied by the number of years, it's probably nearer 3% what we would call APR in the UK.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You need to remember that 1.88% interest in Thailand is not the same as everywhere else, it's not calculated on depreciating balance, it's 1.88% of the capital multiplied by the number of years, it's probably nearer 3% what we would call APR in the UK.

You are correct, but I didn’t want to bore people with a discussion about flat rate v APR

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, matchar said:

Plenty of DC Fast Chargers on major routes, in and around most towns, etc., you just have to use apps to know where they are located otherwise you may never notice them.    More and more appearing at a nearby location like maybe at PTT or Bangchak fuel station, mall, etc., everyday.   See the chart below...look under the DC columns. 

image.png.cbc7577726d3674295f6a185138f3233.png

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Plenty of DC Fast Chargers on major routes, in and around most towns, etc., you just have to use apps to know where they are located otherwise you may never notice them.    More and more appearing at a nearby location like maybe at PTT or Bangchak fuel station, mall, etc., everyday.   See the chart below...look under the DC columns. 

image.png.cbc7577726d3674295f6a185138f3233.png

They / CSs are far from hidden, and really don't know how so many (obviously not in TH) are missing these signs:

image.png.4e64d5c7446e6480104460e39eee9880.png

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1