Electric Vehicles in Thailand

10 hours ago, mistral53 said:

This will sound a bit selfish, but I am already salivating about getting my hands on a 50+ kWh battery pack on the cheap as a home solar back-up battery from a salvaged EV.......... I am actually wondering whether I should buy one of the entry level EV's just for the battery, discarding the car bits - would still be half of what solar installers quote for batteries.

Solar batteries 12kwhr = 50kbht.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.OSAmJ

EV batteries cost far more.

10 hours ago, mistral53 said:

This will sound a bit selfish, but I am already salivating about getting my hands on a 50+ kWh battery pack on the cheap as a home solar back-up battery from a salvaged EV.......... I am actually wondering whether I should buy one of the entry level EV's just for the battery, discarding the car bits - would still be half of what solar installers quote for batteries.

Did you see any of my videos about using my BYD Seal to power my home. I can power the house all night and it takes less than an hour to charge it back from my solar system. 

41 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Solar batteries 12kwhr = 50kbht.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.OSAmJ

EV batteries cost far more.

I have this in my shopping cart........ and this is for only 15 kWh  :shock1:

https://www.lazada.co.th//products/i4363388164-s17397026808.html

It would seamlessly integrate with my Huawei inverter. But in reality, the lifespan makes EES not economically viable, except if you live off grid.

19 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Did you see any of my videos about using my BYD Seal to power my home. I can power the house all night and it takes less than an hour to charge it back from my solar system. 

Thanks for the hint........ I will have a look.

Do you run VTL for only one phase?

5 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

I have this in my shopping cart........ and this is for only 15 kWh  :shock1:

https://www.lazada.co.th//products/i4363388164-s17397026808.html

It would seamlessly integrate with my Huawei inverter. But in reality, the lifespan makes EES not economically viable, except if you live off grid.

Obviously some manufactures are ripping people off.

But normal price batteries take about 7 years to repay the outlay, if they last longer than that it's profit.

I'm planning for the zombie apocalypse, in any EOTW event the grid will always be the first thing to go.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, mistral53 said:

2 hours ago, mistral53 said:

I have always found arguments based on outlier events amusing - the world does not operate like that, to wit, not every single EV will be involved in a fatal battery accident. As a matter of fact, I am going out on a limb and postulate this outrages argument - very few will.

In an other life, I have always argued for 'management by exception' - and not the other way around! You will always be at the losing end of the debate when you try to make the potential accident the reason to resist progress.......... imagine cavemen resisting the wheel because a wheeled cart in an accident will run down a hill so much faster than a sled......... I for one do not aspire to live in a cave.

Strange post coming from someone that posted "but I am already salivating about getting my hands on a 50+ kWh battery pack on the cheap"

Here is someone that car has been out of action for 64 days due to Rat biting plastic battery pack total bill B710,405

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bydthailand/permalink/715885103851607

I don't think you will find any ev batteries on the cheap

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Whoever thinks that is extremely ignorant.  Unless there's an EV battery dumping site here that we don't know about.   Where do people think the write offs are going ?  Surely there's a market for the batteries.

Nothing that valuable, is tossed in the bin.   We just aren't privy to them.  Would think the insurance companies and selling the wrecks/battery packs to manufacturers of, to be utilized somewhere, somehow.

As soon as 3rd party solar/EV brainiacs make it an easy DIY to add to home solar systems, a new market will emerge to the public.  They're being utilized outside of TH, which gives pause to the research done for the article, and extremely misinformed or ignorance of the writer, if not knowing their reuse outside of TH.

When the article stated " EV wrecks have no value" they are stating that there is no value in the secondary market for disassembling their spare parts.

At the moment if you claim for replacement battery using car insurance then the wreck is owned by the insurance company I am sure they have a agreement in place to sell the wreck back to the brand manufacturer

If anyone chooses to repair their car without insurance they can do what ever they want with the wreck but i can't imagine many people have taken the pay myself repair option over insurance claim

EV cars require skilled mechanics with expertise in EV, which is now limited to the brand's service centres.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

When the article stated " EV wrecks have no value" they are stating that there is no value in the secondary market for disassembling their spare parts.

At the moment if you claim for replacement battery using car insurance then the wreck is owned by the insurance company I am sure they have a agreement in place to sell the wreck back to the brand manufacturer

If anyone chooses to repair their car without insurance they can do what ever they want with the wreck but i can't imagine many people have taken the pay myself repair option over insurance claim

EV cars require skilled mechanics with expertise in EV, which is now limited to the brand's service centres.

Certainly contradicts the 'no value' statement of the article.   Depending on that agreement, to the manufacturers, it's only a matter of time before they will be of value to 2nd hand market, when developed to repurpose the battery banks, whether in a vehicle or on a solar system, in TH.

Believe 2nd hand market already there in USA & Europe.

For the article to state no value, is simply wrong.  Author either very ignorant, or very bias.

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Certainly contradicts the 'no value' statement of the article.   Depending on that agreement, to the manufacturers, it's only a matter of time before they will be of value to 2nd hand market, when developed to repurpose the battery banks, whether in a vehicle or on a solar system.

For the article to state no value, is simply wrong.  Author either very ignorant, or very bias.

They will only be of value to 2nd hand market when you have the expertise of  EV cars with  skilled mechanics with expertise in EV,  outside the brand service centre's

The author also states

Despite these concerns, the EV market remains one of our top priorities in 2024," he said.

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/corporate/40033774

3 hours ago, mistral53 said:

I have always found arguments based on outlier events amusing - the world does not operate like that, to wit, not every single EV will be involved in a fatal battery accident. As a matter of fact, I am going out on a limb and postulate this outrages argument - very few will.

In an other life, I have always argued for 'management by exception' - and not the other way around! You will always be at the losing end of the debate when you try to make the potential accident the reason to resist progress.......... imagine cavemen resisting the wheel because a wheeled cart in an accident will run down a hill so much faster than a sled......... I for one do not aspire to live in a cave.

Excellent reply and excellent analogy.

Mice gnaw on BYD ATTO3 and BYD Dolphin batteries. What can EV car owners do besides make peace?

Now there are more than 10 cases and the center requests car owners not to come out and speak because if there are a lot of them. Then there was a lawsuit. in Thai law Regarding consumer protection, it is even necessary to return the money to return the car and buy the car back, like the latest car company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZDSQqwW0sU

Not an isolate case many reports on youtube

EV Easy Talk, consult about problems of EV 12 BYD Atto3, the battery was chewed by a mouse, total damage is 600,000 baht.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Mice gnaw on ...

Good endorsement of an Ora Good Cat purchase :giggle:

"Not an isolate case many reports on youtube"

... or just repetitive YTs of the same report.   As so many of the same other BS vids I've seen.  Example ....

.... the guy who bought a POS Tesla to blow up on his channel

... false reports of dumped EV (graveyard) to jack up sales #s, when actually poor business decision by a couple rent a car companies.

7 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Or in your case MG ZS with metal battery casing and modular batteries

Strange that isn't the standard, though guess it will be in the not to distant future, if not obsolete itself in 5 years with some new tech, soon to be mass produce, within 5 yrs.

50 yrs of driving, and don't think I've ever broken anything under the car, that wasn't just wear & tear. Ex: tie-rods & U-joints or strut once in TH.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Strange that isn't the standard, though guess it will be in the not to distant future, if not obsolete itself in 5 years with some new tech, soon to be mass produce, within 5 yrs.

50 yrs of driving, and don't think I've ever broken anything under the car, that wasn't just wear & tear. Ex: tie-rods & U-joints or strut once in TH.

It could be that in your 50 yrs of driving none of the vehicles you were driving decided to cover a major component in plastic

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Good endorsement of an Ora Good Cat purchase :giggle:

"Not an isolate case many reports on youtube"

... or just repetitive YTs of the same report.   As so many of the same other BS vids I've seen.  Example ....

.... the guy who bought a POS Tesla to blow up on his channel

... false reports of dumped EV (graveyard) to jack up sales #s, when actually poor business decision by a couple rent a car companies.

One of the links was from @EVUsersCommunityThailand

Good information from real EV users

https://www.youtube.com/@EVUsersCommunityThailand

Where most of the videos discuss EV pros and cons 

Here is another case where the driver The right tire exploded on both the front and rear wheels.

The repair cost has been offered from BYD with a total value of 1,167,571.16 baht, including the cost of replacing the battery worth up to 896,190 baht.

https://ch3plus.com/news/economy/weekend/337287

17 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Here is another case where the driver The right tire exploded on both the front and rear wheels.

The repair cost has been offered from BYD with a total value of 1,167,571.16 baht, including the cost of replacing the battery worth up to 896,190 baht.

https://ch3plus.com/news/economy/weekend/337287

So in this case the owner got paid by the insurance company who decided to write off the car. That is not to say that the battery pack has no value.

EVs in Thailand have only been selling in any numbers for 3 or 4 years and there are not enough older and crash damaged cars about to develop an aftermarket.

A good example of how this works is what is happening in the UK with Nissan Leafs, expect to see something similar here in Thailand in the not too distant future.

• Thanks 1

https://youtu.be/C4nS_tSQiVQ

@Bandersnatch thank you for sharing this interesting video.

i think most of us are aware, electric cars are not perfect and probably never will be 100% perfect.

but the good thing is, EV cars have a great potential, and the development is an ongoing process.

i am confident that in the next 10 years, we will see significant progress. just look back at the past

few years and see what has already happened in electric mobility ...

more than 30 years ago, i bought my first Macintosh, and everyone said I was crazy ...

• Agree 2

There are instances of people repurposing EV batteries , there was a series of YouTube videos about someone stripping down an EV battery to use for his own home solar project.

Also the guy, in AUS I believe, who bought a wrote off Atto 3 for the EV battery, his intention was to build an EV van ( not sure what happened to that project) . Upon stripping and posting his progress on FB he inadvertently started the “ rustgate “ saga.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Mice gnaw on BYD ATTO3 and BYD Dolphin batteries. What can EV car owners do besides make peace?

Now there are more than 10 cases and the center requests car owners not to come out and speak because if there are a lot of them. Then there was a lawsuit. in Thai law Regarding consumer protection, it is even necessary to return the money to return the car and buy the car back, like the latest car company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZDSQqwW0sU

EV Easy Talk, consult about problems of EV 12 BYD Atto3, the battery was chewed by a mouse, total damage is 600,000 baht.

20 hours ago, vinny41 said:

I have seen that exact shaped hole a few times, but never any others so we are all looking forward to you proving that you are not making stuff up as usual by posting “many” pictures of atto 3 batteries with different shaped holes.

What we are looking at here is not the bottom of the battery as many have claimed but the top. To access it the rat would have  come at it from inside the car.

It is clear that the battery top cover has not been removed, so no investigation work has been out. This battery might have been able to be repaired by replacing a single chewed wire.

This is quite a good video explaining the structure of the atto 3 battery starting at 0:51 Maybe by the same guy that @Andrew Dwyer mentioned above. 

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thanks 1

On 12/15/2023 at 1:12 AM, Bandersnatch said:

@sometimewoodworker  This my opening post to this topic over 4,000 posts ago.

“This is a discussion about EVs available or coming to Thailand. Not private imports but cars supported here with a dealer network.

Are you interested in an EV as your next car if so which one and why?

Do you know of any breaking news about EVs in Thailand? If so post here. 

This not a discussion about EVs v ICE cars  - for that go here:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1246109-ice-vs-ev-the-debate-thread/

This is not a discussion about Chinese cars - for that go here: 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1235921-why-so-many-chinese-cars-mg-cars-do-people-only-care-to-buy-something-cheap-whatever-is-the-quality/

Mods please delete any posts that try to hijack this thread”

35 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I have seen that exact shaped hole a few times, but never any others so we are all looking forward to you proving that you are not making stuff up as usual by posting “many” pictures of atto 3 batteries with different shaped holes.

What we are looking at here is not the bottom of the battery as many have claimed but the top. To access it the rat would have  come at it from inside the car.

It is clear that the battery top cover has not been removed, so no investigation work has been out. This battery might have been able to be repaired by replacing a single chewed wire.

This is quite a good video explaining the structure of the atto 3 battery starting at 0:51 Maybe by the same guy that @Andrew Dwyer mentioned above. 

The video that you posted is off topic as per your rules original post as this topic is Electric Vehicles in Thailand and the video is from Australia

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Firstly, thank you for posting the links. I have seen your original example several times, but nobody had posted any other evidence up to now. Maybe there is something to this story. Perhaps those of us who own atto 3s and Dolphins can’t keep an eye out for other examples. I own a Seal and I’m a member of three Thai facebook groups and have never seen anything like this.

I didn’t tell you to shut up, I told you to back up your story or shut up, you chose the former.

I don’t need to, the EV haters do plenty of that, I spend my time trying to keep this valuable discussion on topic and challenging those who post baseless claims.

I would hardly call myself a social influencer with only 1,000 subscribers and an unmonetized channel. 

My understanding is the seal uses different material for the casing

Some Seal owners are buying an aftermarket product to increase the protection of the underbody not for rodent issues for what they see as other potential road hazard's  that people may encounter on the roads

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063619101882

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

My understanding is the seal uses different material for the casing

Some Seal owners are buying an aftermarket product to increase the protection of the underbody not for rodent issues for what they see as other potential road hazard's  that people may encounter on the roads

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063619101882

This I am familiar with. I was discussing it just the other day with a guy who I’ve done a podcast with in Australia, he has now arranged to import them into Australia.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How about this electric BMW parked outside my local coffee shop at lunchtime ......

IMG_20231221_133536.jpg

IMG_20231221_133504.jpg

IMG_20231221_133458.jpg

Very nice ... bit pricey for the specs, but it's a BMW (if same one)

My ghetto DECO SUSU is spec'd about the same, not nearly as sleek looking, but also <70k baht :coffee1:

And has a seat for the wife & dog, that may be a negative for some folks w/wife/gf

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm interested in buying an electric car but know already that Thailand will only be my home for the next 3-4 years. 

That's why I'm wondering if anyone has already sold an used electric car? Is there an actual used car market for these vehicles? If yes, how are the prices compared to regular cars?