Electric Vehicles in Thailand

I don't particularly like the bZ4x, but then I don't like SUV's.

Everything is going to come down to price, the winners will be those who sell the cars consumers like that are considered good value.

Just now that rules out Toyota in Thailand.  They have some work to do on their pricing.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

Kia EV 9 Launches in Thailand at the beginning of next month. 1st March 2024

Asked the sales girl for the price and she said it will be announced at launched but she thinks it will be over ฿3m

Expect much of that $3M cost will be the 40% import tax plus 8% excise tax on Made in Korea vehicles. 

https://evat.or.th/images/evinfo/current-status/Updated-BEV-Car-October-2023.pdf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Atto 3 2024 seems to be coming soon, but so far only announced the Standard version which is split into two trim levels, a small increase in battery size, Continental tyres, a 15.6” screen, new interior colour (but no mention of the proposed exterior black colour) Build Your Dreams logo shortened to BYD.

But, more importantly, a reduced price:( NOTE: only a forecast at present )

IMG_2959.png.643fd61816e0469a0758bf8390563cfe.png

https://autolifethailand.tv/unofficial-price-byd-atto3-my2024-ev-bev-thailand/

Gosh, if the new Atto versions do indeed cost approx Bt200K less at significantly under one million baht I would think it would really cut into BYD Dolphin sales....and it will probably greatly suppress current Atto sales as most people will wait for the mid year version at the lower price.    Then again maybe BYD will soon come out with some Dolphin reducing pricing to keep it's price several hundred thousand below an Atto 3.

And I wonder if BYD is still going to sell an Extended Range Atto 3 version which has a 60KWH/480KM NEDC range or is BYD just going to sell the new Standard Range mid year version of 50KWH battery/410KM NEDC range that will come in Dynamic and Premium versions as shown above.

BYD is definitely shifting into some cut-throat pricing....probably aimed right at the Toyota and Honda mid and compact car crowd.   BYD will probably have another outstanding sales year in Thailand.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Pib said:

Gosh, if the new Atto versions do indeed cost approx Bt200K less at significantly under one million baht I would think it would really cut into BYD Dolphin sales....and it will probably greatly suppress current Atto sales as most people will wait for the mid year version at the lower price.    Then again maybe BYD will soon come out with some Dolphin reducing pricing to keep it's price several hundred thousand below an Atto 3.

And I wonder if BYD is still going to sell an Extended Range Atto 3 version which has a 60KWH/480KM NEDC range or is BYD just going to sell the new Standard Range mid year version of 50KWH battery/410KM NEDC range that will come in Dynamic and Premium versions as shown above.

BYD is definitely shifting into some cut-throat pricing....probably aimed right at the Toyota and Honda mid and compact car crowd.   BYD will probably have another outstanding sales year in Thailand.

In this previous report they quote the 60.4 kWh battery Atto is due for the upgrade, plus they show a Cosmos Black colour which isn’t mentioned on the Standard models release info so am guessing it will be coming also, after all the extended version has always been the more in demand model so would make sense.

https://autolifethailand.tv/byd-atto3-my2024-ev-bev-thailand-22feb24/

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I had a meeting today at a company in Bangkok and I saw a Deepal L07 parked up so I asked who owned it and if I could have a look. Wow, it was stunning. Exterior styling is super nice in the flesh but I was so impressed with the quality of the interior. Get in and the central screen turns towards you in the driver's seat, the seats were great, all the materials very tactile and solid - I was very impressed indeed. I haven't sat in a Seal yet so can't compare but this was very very impressive. Would love to hear from anybody who has sat in both as to how they compare.

I think the base L07 is better than the base Seal, but it the Seal has higher spec'd models available. The base Seal is now 100k cheaper, so Deepal may slash their price soon too.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

20k off the extended Dolphin from now till the end of April 

** Retroactive to customers who purchase a car from 1 January 2024 onwards will also be entitled to cash back.

IMG_2962.png.0a88596c70b09b0c0fe6a7ad124f50b0.png

https://autolifethailand.tv/official-price-byd-dolphin-ev-bev-apr-2024/

With 2 years 1st class insurance + free home charger/installation

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Thanks 2

All this price cutting is a good thing for consumers but at the same time it can cause "fear of buying right now....let's wait till later...like maybe the end of the year" to do our next car buy.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

All this price cutting is a good thing for consumers but at the same time it can cause "fear of buying right now....let's wait till later...like maybe the end of the year" to do our next car buy.

Cue: Price Protection

19 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I had a meeting today at a company in Bangkok and I saw a Deepal L07 parked up so I asked who owned it and if I could have a look. Wow, it was stunning. Exterior styling is super nice in the flesh but I was so impressed with the quality of the interior. Get in and the central screen turns towards you in the driver's seat, the seats were great, all the materials very tactile and solid - I was very impressed indeed. I haven't sat in a Seal yet so can't compare but this was very very impressive. Would love to hear from anybody who has sat in both as to how they compare.

"Both the S07 SUV and the L07 sedan are powered by a 258 PS/320 Nm rear-mounted motor fed by a 66.8 kWh ternary lithium NMC battery, which offers up to up to 485 km of range for the S07 SUV and 540 km of range for the L07 sedan; range figures for both are based on the NEDC testing protocol.

For charging, both the S07 SUV and L07 sedan support AC charging via the Type 2 connection standard, while DC charging is via a CCS2 connection and supports charging rates of up to 78 kW DC"

https://paultan.org/2024/01/09/changan-deepal-s07-suv-l07-sedan-evs-launched-in-thailand-up-to-540-km-range-nedc-from-rm177k/

78 kW DC charging if true is very slow. Half the speed of my Seal

ternary v LFP Battery in the Seal 

258 PS/320 Nm compared to my AWD Seal 530 PS/670Nm 

Does Deepal  do an AWD version or is it coming ?

• Agree 1

More and more new vehicle model comparisons have come down to "how the interior and exterior look....how pleasing the appearance is....awesome new LED lightning...a perceived beauty contest" vs also "looking under the hood" so to speak to compare the technical specs like motor power, fuel efficiency, range, etc. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

When I get asked to spec up my MG Cyberster order, I am going to ask for 12 months price protection, or I won't take it.

MG fooled me once with the MG4, they will not fool me twice.

And now BYD have done the same.  

That goes for any EV I buy now, I want a guarantee I will get a retrospective discount if the cars are discounted within 12 months.  Price protection like this is extremely common in the IT industry.

Look at the BYD's Atto 3 'Discount' it's not the same car, different spec batteries and all, so they could claim it's not the exact model you bought that was discounted, but rather new model

9 hours ago, Pib said:

Never heard of price protection on new vehicles in Thailand....or any other product sold in Thailand. 

The EV cut-throat pricing going on in Thailand right now is a good thing for potential buyers but it can sure leave a sour taste in the mouth/cause some buyer remorse for those who recently bought especially for those who thought they were getting an "end of year price" which wouldn't go lower or thinking the government's revised EV subsidy program which is not as good as their previous subsidy program would cause EV price to climb a little. 

Looks like 2024 EV pricing is going to be a wild ride in Thailand and not due to low interest in EVs as EVs are selling like hotcakes in Thailand, but due to Chinese EV manufacturers making an attack on the Toyota/Honda market share...going to lure those Toyota and Honda "ICEV" buyers over to the EV side.

Pib, do you know when BYD will have the first car rolling of local production line?

Earlier reports suggested late 2024, but no update as far as I can find.

2 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Look at the BYD's Atto 3 'Discount' it's not the same car, different spec batteries and all, so they could claim it's not the exact model you bought that was discounted, but rather new model

I am almost certain they will refuse to give me price protection, but the Cyberster is their halo car and I think I may still be the only order in Chiang Rai so it will likely be escalated to the top.  When they refuse, I will cancel and get my deposit back.

I am in two minds anyway, firstly, I took delivery of a new Seal 2 months ago and secondly, I don't like the battery technology in the Cyberster. Unless the price is compelling, it's not a sensible decision for me and I will use the opportunity to grandstand.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Pib said:

Never heard of price protection on new vehicles in Thailand....or any other product sold in Thailand. 

The EV cut-throat pricing going on in Thailand right now is a good thing for potential buyers but it can sure leave a sour taste in the mouth/cause some buyer remorse for those who recently bought especially for those who thought they were getting an "end of year price" which wouldn't go lower or thinking the government's revised EV subsidy program which is not as good as their previous subsidy program would cause EV price to climb a little. 

Looks like 2024 EV pricing is going to be a wild ride in Thailand and not due to low interest in EVs as EVs are selling like hotcakes in Thailand, but due to Chinese EV manufacturers making an attack on the Toyota/Honda market share...going to lure those Toyota and Honda "ICEV" buyers over to the EV side.

Introducing the Corolla killer. 

https://thedriven.io/2024/02/22/corolla-killer-byd-launches-us15000-ev-in-direct-attack-on-legacy-makers/

The Qinky has a small 100 kW engine and now idea how they can squeeze 420 km out of a 48 kWh battery. Magic maybe ️. 

On 2/19/2024 at 7:53 AM, JBChiangRai said:

I don't particularly like the bZ4x, but then I don't like SUV's.

Everything is going to come down to price, the winners will be those who sell the cars consumers like that are considered good value.

Just now that rules out Toyota in Thailand.  They have some work to do on their pricing.

Honda has already started their production in Thailand on the e:NS1 or whatever they're gonna call the ev version of the HR-V, last year they had to scrub the launch due to the price of the Seal being unexpectedly low

While it's a different shaped car segment altogether, compact SUV/Crossover Vs Execytuve Sedan, Thai people like to compare between segments and see what they can buy, and the Seal is a better EV than the bolted on battery nature of the EV HR-V

Now with the Atto 3 being reduced, there's nowhere for Honda to go pricewise, with their ICE model as it is, they can't make the EV the same price as the top end petrol hybrid either,

spacer.png

• Like 2

Wife went to look at a BYD Atto extended range, full option, July 2023, 7000 kl, 870,000 baht. Seller claimed he paid almost 1,000,000 baht. Seems a heavy depreciation for Thailand. She phoned a dealer and was offered a brand new car for 899,000 baht. Is that a correct price? If it is the seller will have difficulty selling.

Edited by stratocaster
price correction

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Pib, do you know when BYD will have the first car rolling of local production line?

Earlier reports suggested late 2024, but no update as far as I can find.

My googling just keeps showing news articles that factory construction began March 2023 with completion in 2024 (no mention of a month)...and have an annual production of 150K units.

Will this make BYD EV cheaper in Thailand?  Personally, I doubt it will make much of any difference in pricing as I expect BYD vehicles can be made cheaper in China in their HUGE factories but the "in-Thailand" factory will allow BYD vehicles to have a 2% excise tax vs 8% and some tax breakes for several more years at least under the Thai govt subsidy 3.5 program.

ICEV manufacturers like Toyota have factories in Thailand but it doesn't seem that has caused any ICEV price reductions over the years....creates jobs for sure but not so sure it lowers the price of the vehicles as many, many factors go into determining the selling price.  Preaching to the choir I know.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

Wife went to look at a BYD Atto extended range, full option, July 2023, 7000 kl, 870,000 baht. Seller claimed he paid almost 1,000,000 baht. Seems a heavy depreciation for Thailand. She phoned a dealer and was offered a brand new car for 899,000 baht. Is that a correct price? If it is the seller will have difficulty selling.

If's it's an "extended" range  (60KWH battery vs 50KWH battery for standard range) that guy would have paid around Bt1.2M in mid 2023....now he might have financed Bt1M and paid the remaining Bt200K in cash in order to get the financing.    If it was a "standard" range model it would have cost around Bt1.1M in mid 2023.   And regardless of which model he bought as soon as he drove it off the car lot it's value dropped 10 to 20% as that's what happens with any new vehicle you buy (EV or ICEV)....it's no longer a new car but a used/pre-owned car. 

Current pricing for a Atto Extended range is still $1.2M but also comes with a Bt100K cash back if taking delivery by end of February and the color choice may be limited to like white or gray....so the current pricing would be Bt1.1M after all the dust settled.    

That brand new car price for Bt889K the dealer quoted is probably below deal for the "updated/mid year" 2024 Atto coming out around May 2024 but already been advertised....this is basically their "standard" range model with basically the same 50KWH battery but with a new model name of 410 Dynamic (i.e., very slight differences/options from the previous year but reduced pricing).  Pricing for the updated/mid year 2024 Extended range (60KWH) and whatever new model name(s) they give it hasn't been publicly released yet that I know of.

image.png.17e1fb36b80477e31ea48c52a45a425d.png

• Thanks 1