Electric Vehicles in Thailand

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Ah yes, the marvel of electric motors ... at a preset controlled speed, the manufacturer controls.

Have you seen people drive their cars ?  Same car last some people 15 years, while other kill theirs in 5 years.   Yea, bean counters got that one correct, with warranty what they can control.

Apples & oranges ... 

No, the manufacturer knows the vast majority of motors will last at least 20 years, and a twenty-year warranty is a selling point.

It's the same thing. The drive train on a car in the US often gets a ten-year, 100K mile warranty, because the manufacturer knows it not likely they will have to pay out on a drive-train warranty.

Again, the "bean counters" have nothing to with it, to dig out the pertinent warranty data when they are asked. 

27 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I like the green, reminds me of my first car, a Hillman Hunter GLS

I like the green as well, like a sea-foam? Reminds me of my first Sullair...

I like the green Good Cats too. 

11 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It's the same thing. The drive train on a car in the US often gets a ten-year, 100K mile warranty, because the manufacturer knows it not likely they will have to pay out on a drive-train warranty.

Not sure about that, as this states best 13 warranties on US cars, and only 4 get 10 yrs on drive train.

100k miles is only 16k kms a year and kind of low. 

For us, that's just over 6 years.

Edited by KhunLA

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not sure about that, as this states best 13 warranties on US cars, and only 4 get 10 yrs on drive train.

You understand you have post a link to an article in a magazine that has automobile manufacturers as customers and you are presenting what they say as fact.

In any event, is four out of thirteen is not often? Did I say all? Did I say most? I did not. I said often. 

Oh, and as far as the charging goes: 

MG.png.242fcd26600dd48867b4ec64c2e5221b.pngGWM.png.cc94de63ebd4dc3ed9da538e4463e80d.png

• Sad 2

Been renting an mg zs for a year and a half paying 18k a month. Think we will be in Thailand for the rest of this year and one more.

Can I rent an electric car for a similar price if I rent long term? 
Is it worth it? I just like the idea of an electric car.

Thanks!

56 minutes ago, Yodarapper said:

Been renting an mg zs for a year and a half paying 18k a month. Think we will be in Thailand for the rest of this year and one more.

Thanks!

Don't know how current or accurate, but a start:

image.png.fab5849831e722fbf5ec79e952960423.png

https://www.exclusive.co.th/en/read/45

https://siam.rent/en/rent-electric-car/

image.png.0e5d342a7a30c9fac6abf04f2c2a80d5.png

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Yodarapper said:

Thanks!

EVME have an app - if you download you can check their prices.  If you rent for a year you'll get a better deal, although doubt you'll get something as cheap as you're paying now.

I've just had a look and they're quoting the following for 12 month rentals :

BYD Dolphin Standard Range - 23,799 per month

MG EP - 26,099 per month

MG ES - 32,099 per month

MG4 - 33,699 per month

BYD Atto 3 - 37,799 per month

Tesla M3 Standard - 43,599 per month

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Melpomene said:

EVME have an app - if you download you can check their prices.  If you rent for a year you'll get a better deal, although doubt you'll get something as cheap as you're paying now.

I've just had a look and they're quoting the following for 12 month rentals :

BYD Dolphin Standard Range - 23,799 per month

MG EP - 26,099 per month

MG ES - 32,099 per month

MG4 - 33,699 per month

BYD Atto 3 - 37,799 per month

Tesla M3 Standard - 43,599 per month

I wonder what their business model is. You can buy one for those kind of monthly prices.

9 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I wonder what their business model is. You can buy one for those kind of monthly prices.

Profit? A new Tesla M3 is what, about 1.6M? That you can drive for a year for 523K does not seem that bad. 

9 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

They know they will have massive depreciation when a newer model comes out in a year or so that is cheaper, has a bigger battery and charges twice as fast.

10 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Why I never understood long term leasing of vehicles, unless coupled with a nice tax write off.

23 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Profit? A new Tesla M3 is what, about 1.6M? That you can drive for a year for 523K does not seem that bad. 

Or you could buy something (ICEV) in the 600-700k baht range, and sell it for 400-500k before leaving, 

Edited by KhunLA

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Why I never understood long term leasing of vehicles, unless coupled with a nice tax write off.

Or you could buy something (ICEV) in the 600-700k baht range, and sell it for 400-500k before leaving, 

Wouldn't the EV pay for itself in fuel savings? (just kidding)

But what you suggest is a bigger PITA and you would be driving a 600-700K car and not a 1.6M car for a year. 

Yes, it is generally cheaper to drive a cheap car than a more expensive car, but you're stuck driving a cheap car. 

I have never leased a car, but it makes sense for a lot of companies and individuals. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Wouldn't the EV pay for itself in fuel savings? (just kidding)

But what you suggest is a bigger PITA and you would be driving a 600-700K car and not a 1.6M car for a year. 

Yes, it is generally cheaper to drive a cheap car than a more expensive car, but you're stuck driving a cheap car. 

I have never leased a car, but it makes sense for a lot of companies and individuals. 

700k puts you in a MG ZS (ICE).  I haven't test drove a T3, but can't really see that much of a difference, except performance, and not even needed, as the ZS performs just fine.

Could easily sell it to tent folks, cutting your transport cost considerably for the year.   And no additional hassle at all.

That the T3 cost 2X as much doesn't mean a whole lot.  Dimensions just a wee bit bigger, and more electronic tech, that isn't really needed.

I guess I'm just thrifty that way, and would rather have the extra 20+k baht in my pocket every month.  As should be able to sell at 500k after the year.  So 200k instead of 543k cost of the vehicle.

Edited by KhunLA

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

700k puts you in a MG ZS (ICE).  I haven't test drove a T3, but can't really see that much of a difference, except performance, and not even needed, as the ZS performs just fine.

Could easily sell it to tent folks, cutting your transport cost considerably for the year.   And no additional hassle at all.

That the T3 cost 2X as much doesn't mean a whole lot.  Dimensions just a wee bit bigger, and more electronic tech, that isn't really needed.

I guess I'm just thrifty that way, and would rather have the extra 20+k baht in my pocket every month.  As should be able to sell at 500k after the year.  So 200k instead of 543k cost of the vehicle.

I'm not sure what your point is. I have never argued it was not cheaper to drive a cheap car than a more expensive car, or that leasing a car was cheaper for most people than buying a car. 

Not everyone is as smart as you, if they were, everyone would be driving MGs and all the other car companies would be out of business. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Not everyone is as smart as you, if they were, everyone would be driving MGs and all the other car companies would be out of business. 

If not for BYD & GWM, and even Neta, that might be true ... :cheesy:

They definitely put a dent in MG's short lived monopoly on affordable EVs in TH.  Buyers definitely benefitting with the little price war going on.

Just shows how like minded & thrifty Thais are.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

MG 4 Electric X POWER, 100% electric car. Preparing to launch in Thailand in March 2024!

Dual motor 429 horsepower. Torque 600 newton meters. Acceleration 0-100 km/h within 3.8 seconds. Battery 61.7 kWh. Support DC Fast Charging up to 150 kW.

https://autolifethailand.tv/mg-4-electric-x-power-ev-bev-coming-thailand/

IMG_3349.jpeg.3adbe8e4861f086d132b40d60b5b2962.jpegIMG_3351.jpeg.902de82859f1f2503030d24ede91288a.jpegIMG_3352.jpeg.164d7c8a7f2c04358dbe38b4d4a6f886.jpegIMG_3350.jpeg.70d5ad3858fe294c03ae35d2eb711132.jpeg

Yikes, the EZ is better looking. 

46 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Ouch this is a cutting review

The price will determine the fate of this “ hotter “ hatch , if they had released this shortly after the MG4 it would have done well, now I am not so sure.

Do like the green colour though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The price will determine the fate of this “ hotter “ hatch , if they had released this shortly after the MG4 it would have done well, now I am not so sure.

Do like the green colour though.

I generally like green, (I had a green '53 F-100 and a '74 C-30) but I would have to see actually see that. 

I generally hate cars with body-codding and the star-treky thing going on. 

My older sister had a '68 Olds 442 that was a similar green with a black interior and a black vinyl roof, that was a badass car.