Electric Vehicles in Thailand

22 hours ago, Pib said:

Feb 2024 registrations in the RY1 category (private passenger vehicles carrying 7 or less...ICEV, EV, etc) 47,063 new vehicles were registered

That is an unusual low car sales number for Thailand and with 25-30,000 cars repossessed every month, 50-60% of these cars will soon enter the second hand market.

4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I will stay around, don’t worry, or maybe you should worry! I’m not worried.

I am a bit worried 😟 that BYD has saturated the Thai EV market even before their local factory has opened. 

They will have to export their way out of that hole.

We have to go back to around 2003 to find sub 50,000 car sales numbers for Thailand. Apart, of course for a few months during Covid.

Screenshot_20240305_112106_Chrome.jpg

28 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I am a bit worried 😟 that BYD has saturated the Thai EV market even before their local factory has opened. 

We have to go back to around 2003 to find sub 50,000 car sales numbers for Thailand. Apart, of course for a few months during Covid.

Below Trading Economics stats website shows  a pretty flat 10 year "trend" for new car sales in Thailand....just a very slight downward trend.  Now there are big year-to-year spikes & dips caused by various factors as typical for many stats on whatever a person is tracking like the stock markets...but the trend long term trend so far has been pretty flat. 

Me thinks with population having peaked a few years ago and now on a downward trend and more & more people moving to cities where rapid transit/buses/taxis/etc., is more available reducing the need for a private car that vehicle "sales in Thailand" has probably already peaked.   

Now if Thailand turns into a vehicle production hub it may end-up producing/exporting more vehicles in the coming years but I don't think "sales within Thailand" will make any major, long term trend upward.   

Now, I do expect EVs to continue to take a bigger slice of the total vehicles sales/production pie consisting of all types of power vehicles, but the pie will not get any larger on a long term basis.

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/total-vehicle-sales

image.png.bcd302795d01230ddc2280b65d0948fd.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Don’t be worried the intention was always to export Thai manufactured vehicles.

https://autolifethailand.tv/byd-thailand-wha-group-mou-ev-bev-atto3-thailand/

“ BYD's 100% electric and plug-in hybrid plant is expected to start production in 2024 with a production capacity of 150,000 units per year for domestic sales and export to countries in ASEAN and Europe. The Board of Investment has approved large-scale investment projects in the production of battery electric vehicles (BEVs: 100% electric vehicles) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs). “ Sept 2022

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Don’t be worried the intention was always to export Thai manufactured vehicles.

“ BYD's 100% electric and plug-in hybrid plant is expected to start production in 2024 with a production capacity of 150,000 units per year for domestic sales and export to countries in ASEAN and Europe. The Board of Investment has approved large-scale investment projects in the production of battery electric vehicles (BEVs: 100% electric vehicles) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs). “ Sept 2022

I feel so much better now, but wait what? Wasn't it written in the Thai subsidy program that for every imported vehicle manufacturers have to produce and sell (not export) 1 car in 2024, if not 1.5 cars in 2025?

37 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I feel so much better now, but wait what? Wasn't it written in the Thai subsidy program that for every imported vehicle manufacturers have to produce and sell (not export) 1 car in 2024, if not 1.5 cars in 2025?

This is what was written:

“ However, there is a requirement that if 100% electric vehicles are imported for sale, they must produce 1 times domestically by 2024 (2024) or extend the period to by 2025 (2025), but must produce 1.5 times.“

Source

Did you invent the “ and sell ( not export )” part yourself ??

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

This is what was written:

“ However, there is a requirement that if 100% electric vehicles are imported for sale, they must produce 1 times domestically by 2024 (2024) or extend the period to by 2025 (2025), but must produce 1.5 times.“

Source

Did you invent the “ and sell ( not export )” part yourself ??

Actually I did invent that myself or maybe I was just confused by our Chiang Rai friend's lofty EV sales forecasts and thought the local market would easily gobble up the 150,000 cars BYD plans to pump out. 

Export it is then and the Thai plant is just BYD's cunning plan to enter the European market, just in time for Ursula to slap tariffs on Chinese made cars.

30 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Actually I did invent that myself or maybe I was just confused by our Chiang Rai friend's lofty EV sales forecasts and thought the local market would easily gobble up the 150,000 cars BYD plans to pump out. 

Export it is then and the Thai plant is just BYD's cunning plan to enter the European market, just in time for Ursula to slap tariffs on Chinese made cars.

I expect Ursula will follow Biden plan to stop import of all EV's regardless of where they are made unless they are made from European parts

But administration officials made clear it was the first step in what could be a wide range of policy responses meant to stop low-cost Chinese electric vehicles — either manufactured in China or assembled by Chinese companies in countries like Mexico — from flooding the U.S. market and potentially driving domestic automakers out of business.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/29/us/politics/biden-chinese-electric-vehicles.html

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, matchar said:

https://www.car250.com/mg4-th-2024-1.html

Another price cut by MG as I expected.

All of the early adopters rushing to buy at the end of last year are looking rather foolish now...

So they f?cked me twice, I paid 969k then drop to 869k and now 799k.

I will definitely play hardball on my Cyberster order.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Before we accuse anyone of "looking rather foolish" let's check if the poster has checked his facts before posting.

Back in September 2023 I posted that the MG4 D was selling for ฿ึ769k

MG4price2023.thumb.jpg.d49b4891301657f3a0a05a46dac0a4cd.jpg

So what is the new price?

฿ึ669k without a wall box. So we have a ฿ึ70k saving but you have to buy and install your own wallbox. So who is "looking rather foolish now" 

IMG_3602.thumb.jpg.844ff20ad9caab48d3cdb55b1a8e0740.jpg

The problem is that a number of brands lower there prices for 2 weeks and then raise then again like a yoyo

Current price for MG4 D on mgcars website is B869K and B969K for the X model

https://www.mgcars.com/th/mg-models/new-mg4-electric/price

As a sales marketing ploy they don't seem to understand its piss's off people that have bought new cars saying Never again will i buy from that Brand and it also piss's off potential new buyers as their are hesitant do i buy now or wait until the price drops again

Edited by vinny41
add

43 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Yes, their children would rather they were burning dinosaurs… 🙄

Actually no dinosaurs have ever been hurt in the production of fossil fuel. It was all down to some lazy fungi and bacteria that needed 30 million years to get an appetite for trees 🌳

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Before we accuse anyone of "looking rather foolish" let's check if the poster has checked his facts before posting.

Back in September 2023 I posted that the MG4 D was selling for ฿ึ769k

MG4price2023.thumb.jpg.d49b4891301657f3a0a05a46dac0a4cd.jpg

So what is the new price?

฿ึ669k without a wall box. So we have a ฿ึ70k saving but you have to buy and install your own wallbox. So who is "looking rather foolish now" 

IMG_3602.thumb.jpg.844ff20ad9caab48d3cdb55b1a8e0740.jpg

Are you trying to tell me a wallbox is worth 70k baht? Let's say a rather generous 20k then it's still a 50k saving.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, matchar said:

Are you trying to tell me a wallbox is worth 70k baht? Let's say a rather generous 20k then it's still a 50k saving

If you want an MG wallbox to work with the MG app, it will cost you more than ฿20k. You forgot about the installation which is included, but I suppose you could manage that yourself with ฿20 worth of bell wire.

4 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Got as ar as this and stopped reading: "Because EVs are on average 30% heavier, brakes and tires on the battery-powered cars wear out faster than on standard cars."

The author of the article has quite obviously no clue about how EVs work.

Obviously you should be writing him and the source and edumacating him... Please post your supporting link that what he stated is false.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, matchar said:

Looks like the prices of all cars in Thailand are dropping like a stone...

https://autolifethailand.tv/discount-official-suzuki-ciaz-thailand/

150k discount on a brand new Suzuki Ciaz.

How long before you break even with the lower fuel costs on the MG 4 for the extra 300k?

Suzuki needs to do something to sell more Ciaz as right now very few are sold in Thailand...below are  Thailand Feb 2024 registrations for Ciaz....a total of 27.

Feb 2024 Registrations

image.png.360a2d1d2e304ac56285628b552c11b8.png

• Love It 1

On 2/24/2024 at 10:20 AM, Pib said:

That brand new car price for Bt889K the dealer quoted is probably below 

image.png.17e1fb36b80477e31ea48c52a45a425d.png

aarg, found out that Byd took out the pm 2.5 filter from the dynamic . Guess BYD had to cut some stuff out to sell it at 899k. However they did upgrade battery 50.25 , continental tires and reduce 100k. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Alotoftravel said:

aarg, found out that Byd took out the pm 2.5 filter from the dynamic . Guess BYD had to cut some stuff out to sell it at 899k. However they did upgrade battery 50.25 , continental tires and reduce 100k. 

Don't worry about that....get some mud flaps put on your Seal EV triple-ASAP to cut down on EV tire particulates being thrown into the air and causing pollution.   I've already got mud flaps on my Atto.  😀

• Haha 1