Electric Vehicles in Thailand

11 hours ago, mistral53 said:

The BYD Seal and the  Xiaomi SU7 are not even on the same planet, technology wise - that presumably will be reflected in the price. I would not be surprised if it is 50% higher than the Seal top model. The top performance version was modeled on the Tesla Plaid, so expect prices to be similar, albeit lower.

Xiaomi is not entering the vehicle manufacturing field tip-toeing - they plan a full frontal assault...... watch out Tesla and BYD.

xiaomi-drops-the-su7-bomb-targets-500-miles-of-range-and-plaid-level-performance_16.jpg

It sounds amazing.

https://www.engadget.com/xiaomi-says-its-su7-ev-can-outperform-porsche-and-has-more-tech-than-tesla-095637762.html

12 hours ago, mistral53 said:

The BYD Seal and the  Xiaomi SU7 are not even on the same planet, technology wise - that presumably will be reflected in the price. I would not be surprised if it is 50% higher than the Seal top model. The top performance version was modeled on the Tesla Plaid, so expect prices to be similar, albeit lower.

Xiaomi is not entering the vehicle manufacturing field tip-toeing - they plan a full frontal assault...... watch out Tesla and BYD.

xiaomi-drops-the-su7-bomb-targets-500-miles-of-range-and-plaid-level-performance_16.jpg

I love how Xiaomi uses V6 and V8 as part of their electric engine names which "implies" internal combustion engine terminology...this will probably help to win-over ICEV users who are EV gunshy (or haters) partly due to EV terminology & talk they may not fully understand.  Heck, Xiaomi even talks "oil" cooling for their EV engines as when you hear oil related to car operation it would probably make many people think just like an internal combustion engine uses....one again, trying to make their electric engines simply sound like much improved combustion engines, the natural next step from combustion engines, don't be afraid of electric vehicles.

And I love where they say "....from the era of internal combustion engines...." as in old technology now relegated to the history books. 

If Xiaomi has been around in the early 1900s when iCE vehicles first started being produced in mass, like the Ford Model T, Xiaomi would have probably used terminology along the lines of:  "....from the era of horse & buggy....

https://www.mi.com/global/discover/article?id=3095

E-motor   

At the conference, Xiaomi showcased its independently developed and manufactured E-motors, HyperEngine V6/V6s, and HyperEngine V8s. The three E-motors, employing innovative technologies such as Bidirectional Full Oil Cooling Technology, S-shaped oil circuit design, and staggered silicon steel laminations design, rival the performance of traditional large V8 and V6 powertrains from the era of internal combustion engines, pushing the industry's performance boundaries to new heights. 

Notably, HyperEngine V8s, with a maximum speed of 27,200 rpm, 425kW output, and 635N·m peak torque, sets a global record for E-motors. To enable the industry-exceeding standard of 27,200 rpm, HyperEngine V8s employs the industry's first ultra high-strength silicon steel plate with a tensile strength of 960MPa, boasting strength that surpasses mainstream industry offerings by more than two-times. 

For cooling design, HyperEngine V8s adopts a Bidirectional Full Oil Cooling Technology and an S-shaped oil circuit design. For the stator, a dual-cycle oil circuit is employed, increasing the heat dissipation area by 100% and achieving a cooling effect of up to 20°C. Meanwhile, the rotor section utilizes a patented S-shaped oil circuit, increasing the heat dissipation area by 50% and achieving a cooling effect of up to 30°C. Additionally, the stator silicon steel laminations feature a "step-like" staggered design, further increasing the effective heat dissipation area by an additional 7%. 

HyperEngine V8s is in development, and set to be mass-produced and implemented in Xiaomi EVs in 2025. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Can’t stretch to the Eletre R but was disappointed that the Eletre S only does 0-100kmh in 4.5seconds,

You mean I could have spent only 5+M baht more, and gotten to the 7-11 in almost half time :coffee1:

Damn you ZS  ... MG ZS EV D model - 0 - 100 km/h◂0 - 62 mph: 8.6s 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You mean I could have spent only 5+M baht more, and gotten to the 7-11 in almost half time :coffee1:

Damn you ZS  ... MG ZS EV D model - 0 - 100 km/h◂0 - 62 mph: 8.6s 

You drive to 7-11? Wow, you are really out in the boonies! 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You drive to 7-11? Wow, you are really out in the boonies! 

Almost 3 kms away ... :cheesy:

Newly built about 1 yr ago.   Such hardships in rural TH.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2022 at 9:33 AM, Bandersnatch said:

Mods please delete any posts that try to hijack this thread. 

Any recent hijackings? 🤣

I reckon its still early days, lots of design changes to come. 

Those who have bought EV cars are taking a risk. 

Resales will be well down, who will buy these used EV vehicles? 

I struggle to understand the type of person who buys an EV, are they 'want to be's', 'showoffs' etc? 

What's really weird is those who buy an EV and live in a condo or apartment without powered charging, my time is too precious to wait for an available public charger. 

I've got a hybrid, that's as far as I go until I know how the used EV car market will adjust, we don't hang on to our vehicles forever. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1

Vehicles with white license plates, black letters, or personal vehicles with no more than 7 seats, such as sedans, SUVs, and 4-door pickup trucks, will use the tax calculation method that depends on engine size (CC) as follows.

- 1-600 cc / charge 0.5 baht per cc.

- 601-1,800 cc / charge 1.5 baht per cc.

- 1,801 cc or more / charge 4 baht per cc

4 door Ford Ranger 2.0 bi turbo engine size 1996cc road tax should be B2,880

if you have a 3.0 litre or 3.2 litre engine then the road tax will be more

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

How does the cost of road tax for an EV compare to the usual diesel pickup that most seem to drive?

When I was building my house I bought a 4 door pickup truck (sold it now) I seem to remember about ฿5,000 a year in road tax.

Now paying ฿380 a year for my EV

IMG_3257.thumb.jpeg.2c43776dd868addb477e5500fe57992a.jpeg

I just renewed the road tax on my daughter's MG4 (2 months before it's due) and I think I paid over 2,000 baht with the compulsory insurance included.

Correction, I just checked it was 1,300 baht plus the compulsory.  I think EV's are done on weight.

Edited by JBChiangRai
add detail
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Vehicles with white license plates, black letters, or personal vehicles with no more than 7 seats, such as sedans, SUVs, and 4-door pickup trucks, will use the tax calculation method that depends on engine size (CC) as follows.

- 1-600 cc / charge 0.5 baht per cc.

- 601-1,800 cc / charge 1.5 baht per cc.

- 1,801 cc or more / charge 4 baht per cc

4 door Ford Ranger 2.0 bi turbo engine size 1996cc road tax should be B2,880

if you have a 3.0 litre or 3.2 litre engine then the road tax will be more

So why are online links suggesting you can pay up to ฿8,000?

IMG_1530.thumb.jpeg.38a1670cdb44a754a5817758c558052a.jpeg

39 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Any recent hijackings? 🤣

I reckon its still early days, lots of design changes to come. 

Those who have bought EV cars are taking a risk. 

Resales will be well down, who will buy these used EV vehicles? 

I struggle to understand the type of person who buys an EV, are they 'want to be's', 'showoffs' etc? 

What's really weird is those who buy an EV and live in a condo or apartment without powered charging, my time is too precious to wait for an available public charger. 

I've got a hybrid, that's as far as I go until I know how the used EV car market will adjust, we don't hang on to our vehicles forever. 

I own both an EV and a PHEV. I’m not a wannabe nor am I a showoff. I dress very simply, preferring simple T-shirts and bermuda shorts and flip flops or occasionally boat shoes. If you saw me, you would probably think that I drive a 10 year old pickup at best. I don’t dine in 5 star or hi-so restaurants, preferring road side stalls and moogata places.

I live in a simple 2up 2down but with all the comfort creatures that I need. Oh, and solar too, almost forgot. I therefore charge at home, as do most EV owners on this forum. I have always stressed that if one can’t charge conveniently, then an EV is probably not a good purchase.

Why did I buy an EV? First off, it’s my second car, mainly for local commutes and trips. We can incur high mileage on a regular basis, as much as 500-600 kms per week. Right off, the fuel savings make economical sense. We also make regular longer distance trips to various parts of Thailand. Considering the amount of time we spend in the car, the comfort and performance of EVs are an absolute bonus.

As for resale values, I’m (and a think a lot of the other EV owners are in a similar position) not concerned. I tend to hold on to my cars for a good 5-8 years after which I sell it off to my wife’s family or friends at a bargain price. The main thing for me is that during my tenure of ownership, the dealer warranties my cars for 8 years thus ensuring a stress free experience.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I'm on my 3rd BEV; bought my first one four and a half years ago. I still have two.

I bought them because they are a joy to drive and they give me a lot of pleasure.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Extremely intelligent ... OK, not really, just not ignorant.

Not a wanna be or show off.  Or even a car enthusiast, though do appreciate my 'specific' use vehicles back in the USA

trucks ... work & manly presence of course 

Caddy ... for comfort

Firebird ... for playing

MCs ... both scenic cruising & thrill satisfying

Here in TH, until MG arrive, only bought inexpensive (not really) new, entry level POSs, as TBH, not sure if I was staying in TH, and anything more comfy was out of my car budget.   Just refuse to spend 1M baht for 4 wheels.   Not the car enthusiast, so being thrifty kicks in.  More just a machine for going point A - B

EV does that in more comfort for <1M baht, than previous POSs, and as economical as you can get to maintain & operate.  Performance is a really nice added plus.   It's a car, no more, no less, but a fun one to drive over the previous 3 non MG POSs. 

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Most EVs like both of mine come with an 8yr 70% battery warranty. You clearly didn't know that or you won't have posted something so stupid

Getting nasty because you haven't thought it through, just trying to big note yourself. 

Now you reply with hostility, like a child, grow up. 

I knew there was something wrong with you when you instructed the mods on how to do their job, hijacking quote. 🤣

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

8 years old the car will be worthless.

New batteries required.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/toyota-electric-car-resale-values/

Considering that Toyota is probably the worst EV maker among the big brands, I won’t pay much heed to any statements about EVs coming from them (they even had to recall their Bz4x or whatever it’s called for risk of the wheels falling off. A lot of analysts believe that this wasn’t the case; the recall was more likely due to issues with the battery technology or software). 

No one has a crystal ball as to what resale values would be like in 8 years time. It may or may not be worthless. Current research shows degradation of up to 20% after 8 years. That means a BYD Dolphin that has a range of about 450 km new will still have a range of 360 km in 8 years time. I’m inclined to believe that it would be possible to replace the whole battery pack cheaply by then as the technology improves and prices of batteries continue to drop.

• Like 1

I have solar, so I I can charge both of my EVs from excess solar power. No power bill for the house or fuel bill for the cars. Do you "struggle to understand" that?

I don't have to use a public charger unless I am travelling more than 600km.

My BYD has bi-directional charging so it comes with effectively 6 Tesla PowerWalls of free backup power. Do you "struggle to understand" that?

ChargingEvs.thumb.jpg.f55b67cbb3040fc8becca69c287061df.jpg

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

8 years old the car will be worthless.

New batteries required.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/toyota-electric-car-resale-values/

As far as I'm concerned, any 8 yr old ICEV is worthless to me, as that's when things will eventually start to go wrong and might leave us stranded while O&A.  My finances are so, that's not necessary for me to be in that position any more.  Owning 2nd hand cars, as I did when not having healthier finances.   

Left that lifestyle when I retired.   Sold the 3 POS ICEV here around the 125-150k kms mark.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I knew there was something wrong with you when you instructed the mods on how to do their job. 🤣

I think there is something wrong with people that repeatedly feel the need to question other people's purchase decision for products they have no interest in buying.

How many times have you told us EVs are a stupid purchase ?  Worse, how many more times will you try to convince us that they still are ?

Definitely something wrong with some people ... Mirror mirror

43 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I own both an EV and a PHEV. I’m not a wannabe nor am I a showoff. I dress very simply, preferring simple T-shirts and bermuda shorts and flip flops or occasionally boat shoes. If you saw me, you would probably think that I drive a 10 year old pickup at best. I don’t dine in 5 star or hi-so restaurants, preferring road side stalls and moogata places.

I live in a simple 2up 2down but with all the comfort creatures that I need. Oh, and solar too, almost forgot. I therefore charge at home, as do most EV owners on this forum. I have always stressed that if one can’t charge conveniently, then an EV is probably not a good purchase.

Why did I buy an EV? First off, it’s my second car, mainly for local commutes and trips. We can incur high mileage on a regular basis, as much as 500-600 kms per week. Right off, the fuel savings make economical sense. We also make regular longer distance trips to various parts of Thailand. Considering the amount of time we spend in the car, the comfort and performance of EVs are an absolute bonus.

As for resale values, I’m (and a think a lot of the other EV owners are in a similar position) not concerned. I tend to hold on to my cars for a good 5-8 years after which I sell it off to my wife’s family or friends at a bargain price. The main thing for me is that during my tenure of ownership, the dealer warranties my cars for 8 years thus ensuring a stress free experience.

And short trips are particularly hard on ICEs, (although no as much as it used to be) given the engine never actually warms up, which is something to think about. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Getting nasty because you haven't thought it through, just trying to big note yourself. 

Now you reply with hostility, like a child, grow up. 

I knew there was something wrong with you when you instructed the mods on how to do their job. 

You think that 70% is the same as 0% and you call me a child!  Did you finish kindergarten? 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

You think that 70% is the same as 0% and you call me a child!  Did you finish kindergarten? 

Have you ever used an iPhone when the battery gets down to 70%? Typically, you get them changed at 80%.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1