Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Electric Vehicles in Thailand

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It's only about 150 kms, why would anyone need a CS or petrol station along the way.

image.png.16e3040caa73ebd302a751e0026c7aba.png

I was merely checking some routes. And did no one see the :thumbsup: smiley????

Ps: You don't know my wife, she needs a toilet every 1 hour or so

Edited by MJCM
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, seedy said:

And therein lies the Heart of the whole debate on EVs in LOS.

'If you do not do what I do then you are not Normal'

That is not a question for my wife, if it was me I would in 1 go from Buriram to Pattaya (4xx KM) but as I am going with the wife it's every 1hr please find me a toilet 5555555555

So for us (we together) EV would be perfect, but for me alone an ICE or I would need an EV with a 600km range one. (but that is not going to happen (max budget approx 1-1,3m))

Edited by MJCM

Just now, MJCM said:

That is not a question for my wife, if it was me I would in 1 go from Buriram to Pattaya (4xx KM) but as I am going with the wife it's every 1hr please find me a toilet 5555555555

So for us (we together) it would be perfect, but for me alone I would need a 600km range one. (but that is not going to happen (max budget approx 1-1,3m))

My reply more more in line with the sentiment of most Pro EV posters in this and other threads on the same subject.

I would buy one in a heartbeat, but there are so many unanswered questions regarding long term ownership that I hesitate.

First Adopters are great tho' - let them play guinea pig, suffer the teething problems and trials and tribulations of early ownership.

Until there is service available here - and a record of how warranty claims are handled, it is just too much of a question mark for me to consider.

ICE vehicles have been here for a long time and the service departments of all the major manufacturers are - for the most part - abysmal troubleshooters. "Let's fire the Parts Cannon at it until the problem is solved " !!! 555

Not withstanding that I have no more room under the car port for another 4 wheeler !

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, seedy said:

My reply more more in line with the sentiment of most Pro EV posters in this and other threads on the same subject.

Don't get me wrong I am totally not against EV's I am the one who is pushing my wife to an EV as for us it would be the perfect solution

1- Solar charging at home

2- mostly short trips (10-100km)

3- Don't drive often

I have to trick my wife in going for a test drive which is proving very difficult, and when talking about EV's she is always going on about that Ora Goodcat (because of the pink colour one she saw) and that is not one I want, I am going for either the MG ZS EV or the BYD Atto 3 those 2 will benefit us much more.

I would buy one in a heartbeat, but there are so many unanswered questions regarding long term ownership that I hesitate.

If it was up to me a Deposit would have already been paid but it's not up to me alone ????

Not withstanding that I have no more room under the car port for another 4 wheeler !

We do, we have given our Old Car (2nd) (ICE) to our Daughter in BKK and thus room available.

Edited by MJCM
SpElLiNg
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, MJCM said:

So for us (we together) EV would be perfect, but for me alone an ICE or I would need an EV with a 600km range one. (but that is not going to happen (max budget approx 1-1,3m))

I'm sure some famous person said ...

... "If you like you're ICE, you can keep you ICE" ????

Or wait till the tech progresses enough to fit your needs and budget.

It's all a work in progress.  Horse & buggies to automobiles didn't happen overnight either.

For me, 3hr straight driving is more than enough for me now of days.  

Those 8-20 hrs drives, with quick petrol stops are long behind me.   

Especially with my prostate, my back, the wife & dog ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Especially with my prostate, my back, the wife & dog ????

:offtopic:

I also have a prostate problem (every 3 months check-up in Bumrungrad) but strangely when I am driving I don't have any issues and get more focused the longer I drive. (don't over do it of course)

Edited by MJCM

13 hours ago, MJCM said:

Care to share the reviews?

Many on UTube - here is one ...

Basically - the reviews I have read say "feels cheap, acres of hard plastic, choppy ride, noisy. Expect range in the real world to be around 1/2 of quoted

Edited by seedy
  • Thanks 1

Here in Thailand we don’t get all versions of electric cars produced in China, but we can see the direction that the design language is going.

The latest version of the Ora Good Cat is the Ora Lightning Cat - I would be prepared to pay more for a more luxurious car.

An older video states that there are plans that will be coming to Thailand

1 hour ago, seedy said:

Many on UTube - here is one ...

Basically - the reviews I have read say "feels cheap, acres of hard plastic, choppy ride, noisy. Expect range in the real world to be around 1/2 of quoted

Better see the reviews from Björn Nyland on Youtube. My average range on my 2600 km road trip with the Ora was 80% of NEDC-range.

1 hour ago, Greenside said:

NETA has just opened a showroom and what will be a service department next to Amway on Mahidol road in Chiang Mai.  I'd never heard of the brand and dropped in this morning to check them out.  They only had the Neta V on show, a sub compact with ok(ish) specs, built down to a price allowing an opening promotional package of 549,000 baht including home charger and installation, year of 1st class insurance, 5yr warranty on the motor (8 on the battery), free charging at PTT stations (if you can find one with a charger) and roadside assistance for 12 months.  Design is somewhat quirky and the interior space very limited but it was fun to drive around town.  Good Cat is far more attractive and practical, but around 50% more expensive.

The Brand is Hozon Auto in addition to the Neta V they will be launching the Neta U Pro in Thailand shortly

https://www.hozonauto.com/en/en-upro.html

They also have a Neta V Pro but its not known if that model will come to Thailand

This site is useful for comparing models , take the specs and prices with a pinch of salt as these are chinese prices and chinese specs

https://licarco.com/comparison/cars/compare?vehicle1=hozon-neta-v&vehicle2=hozon-neta-u-pro-2

Edited by vinny41
add

On 11/12/2022 at 11:18 AM, Bandersnatch said:

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 2022 THE NATION

SLEEK EV, a leading Thai-Singaporean electric motorcycle manufacturer, recently launched in Thailand 
The company aims to establish battery swapping stations nationwide

At the SLEEK launch event, the company also introduced the S Pods and the S Pods Home battery swapping stations. The network of stations will be available at gas stations, shopping malls, restaurants, and coffee shops, within 7-9km apart. SLEEK aims to roll out in Bangkok first, with a target of 225 locations by the end of 2023. Users can use SLEEK mobile application to get their vehicle information, and locate service centres and S Pods stations.

SLEEK EV also announced business partnerships with Bosch Thailand, who will support the SLEEK’s electric motorcycle development, and with Pro Concept Manufacturer (PCM) who will jointly establish a motorcycle assembly and battery manufacturing factory in Thailand.

SLEEK EV has also partnered with Bank of Ayudhya, which operates under the framework of Environmental, Social, and corporate Governance (ESG), to provide loans with exclusive interest rates to SLEEK customers.

SLEEK EV now has authorized distributors in 22 provinces and expects to have service centres and dealerships nationwide within the first quarter of 2023.

https://www.nationthailand.com/pr-news/more/pr-news/40020356

https://www.sleekev.com/

I spoke to a Sleek dealer yesterday and got sit on the bikes - they seem to be PCX sized and are of good quality. I liked the Bosch motors.

The type V has a 3kW electric motor. The  ฿97,000 Lite has one 4.2kWh battery The ฿129,000 version has 2 batteries.

I didn't see the GT version.

The hand written "sub" in the margin of ฿5,000 and  ฿10,000 I believe refers to the already included government subsidy.

The 1.19% interest rate is  very generous 

20221111_033426245_iOS.thumb.jpg.23c4f579396092cfd8d08f7a670b59be.jpg20221111_033438817_iOS.thumb.jpg.9dcc566d86e93f906a0b26dbf30b4ba5.jpg20221111_033444800_iOS.thumb.jpg.9da70e91436e000610424b53d253689e.jpg20221111_033346195_iOS.thumb.jpg.68b500d00aca9e9caa0e3a32f477684e.jpg20221111_033352608_iOS.thumb.jpg.71afeca4a032829aaaba8e15f8160dea.jpg20221111_033354554_iOS.thumb.jpg.907794a4f2bece2ff7a7b1d1eb85de3d.jpg20221111_033400312_iOS.thumb.jpg.dde8d6644ff4ea7f856cc5d86d10d7da.jpg20221112_030501815_iOS.thumb.jpg.df39b00061c5e7ca08b4a4da1caf0e65.jpg

The brand has been long time in Thailand already and recently just rebranded as Sleek.

6 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Just got and ICE CRV, but when the Jazz comes up for retirement in 4 or 5 years I'll consider and EV. Right now too much potential trouble.

You could have picked up a MG ZS EV for 400k less, and no depreciation (273k @ 20% depreciation)  when you drove off the lot.  Almost like getting a new Honda Jazz for free  ????

To each their own.

35E084C0-4982-4749-BE26-609276F214E7.jpeg.6189a9ed79063d7c8d81e38fdae4428b.jpeg

Ready for you to own today with the NEW MG4 ELECTRIC
A new definition of 100% electric car. The first time you experience new driving. With rear wheel drive system, ready to step into an iconic life.

Coming with a special offer only for Pre-booking customers. Book only 5,000 baht. Get electricity supply device (V2L) worth 10,000 baht. Booking can be made from 15 May. Y. 65 09:00 am To 29 Feb. Y. 65

Open MG THAILAND Application and reserve now.
If you don't have it yet, download it at

For iOS ▼ https://apple.co/3QrU2G9
For Android สําหรับ https://bit.ly/3AkzLg2

Or book via the MG website https://onlinebooking.mgcars.com

Can't miss it at all... With the fun ride waiting for you to own it

For more info visit http://bit.ly/3AfB7bE

#NEWMG4ELECTRIC #MGcarsTH #PassionDrives

25 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You could have picked up a MG ZS EV for 400k less, and no depreciation (273k @ 20% depreciation)  when you drove off the lot.  Almost like getting a new Honda Jazz for free  ????

To each their own.

You know I drive a bit more than just around town...

3 hours ago, mistral53 said:

OK - I took the plunge and watched the clip.......... did you watch it, or what happened between what you saw and what you wanted to see/hear? He points out the difference between NEDC and WLTP, complains about the touch screen integrated A/C controls (couldn't agree more! that is idiotic, but not unusual these days) but other than that, it is very favorable review........... e.g. 'this looks and feels every bit like a premium car inside' - his words, not mine!

My suggestion: Watch the clip again, but first turn off your biases........just listen, watch with an open mind. Then please report back with a summary.

I watched it, and did not base my opinion on just one Video.

Bias - isn't that an old style tire ?

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Hence that new, 'free' Jazz ????  

If need to go further than 240 kms at one stretch.

Well the jazz is for around town. The CRV for trips over 20/30km. That's why I am not averse to consider EVs to replace the Jazz when it gets 7 or 8 years old. I remember your report where you did your first trip of some 120k (one way) and happily came back with 20% charge; that's totally insufficient for my longer trips. And batteries age, one needs aircon to drive etc. Anyhow let us hope that in the fullness of time, when the time's right, at the right juncture, EVs will get a more practical autonomy and that charging networks develop. You sound like an enthusiastic pioneer, I'm not.

And, I like your "free jazz", you could've worked at MG selling second hand Hondas.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Well the jazz is for around town. The CRV for trips over 20/30km. That's why I am not averse to consider EVs to replace the Jazz when it gets 7 or 8 years old. I remember your report where you did your first trip of some 120k (one way) and happily came back with 20% charge; that's totally insufficient for my longer trips. And batteries age, one needs aircon to drive etc. Anyhow let us hope that in the fullness of time, when the time's right, at the right juncture, EVs will get a more practical autonomy and that charging networks develop. You sound like an enthusiastic pioneer, I'm not.

And, I like your "free jazz", you could've worked at MG selling second hand Hondas.

Agree, EVs definitely are not for everyone.  

Sidenote, I always have the AC on.  So my reports will always have on, if I forget to mention.  Finishing touches on the house, near done, so longer journeys coming up in near future.   See how my impatient self deals with CS stops.  I've done my Udon Thani to Phuket runs, in 1 go, or 1 to 3 pitstops.

Now I think 3hrs on the road is enough, and since will be southbound, then that's actually when & where I play tourist, so not in a hurry to go anywhere far or fast.   Different from when living in Udon Thani, as nothing I wanted to see between there & Krung Thep.  Sometimes 1st pit stop as far as Hua Hin, or if made good time, and short break along the way, would even continue to Thung Wua Laem, Chumphon for first overnight, before heading out to Phuket.

Them days way behind me.  Being patient will be an adjustment, but an easy one.  Especially if at MG CS, or having a food court munch at one of the PTTs.  KFC and internet browse makes 30-45 minutes go be fast.

• Thumbs Up 1