Electric Vehicles in Thailand

On 10/10/2022 at 2:37 PM, josephbloggs said:

Does anyone on here own a Volvo XC40 Recharge Pure Electric?

I have seen a few around and they look cool, would be keen to hear of any first hand experience as I am interested.

What alternatives are there to the Volvo XC40 at a similar price and specification? I am probably a couple of years away from next EV purchase, but I am already researching my shortlist. 

DAE63506-4A4E-4231-9EED-0ACE4F23AB79.thumb.jpeg.dafb8326705a227a79160b34ff44f8b2.jpeg

Currently BMW Thailand doesn’t have an EV under ฿3.5m 

8CD9F422-4390-47E8-9319-401C902C612F.thumb.jpeg.82783d3a2d4a5bd18304521b2f40ea7c.jpeg

BMW has announced a fully electric version of the iX1. When I spoke to BMW staff at a car show last year they said that they were hoping to assemble the iX1 at BMW’s Rayong plant to be eligible for the government’s EV grant, but no updates on this since.

Currently BMW Thailand is still showing the old model X1 on their website

6BB2858F-868F-485E-8612-AA02F2C029C4.thumb.jpeg.2a976bfd51ecdfcc606c39fd5bd00c4b.jpeg

But on the UK site the new model is shown

90F58EB4-0DB1-4ADF-8114-124DD865A903.thumb.jpeg.855d7b9cc90a0420a3fcc5d2655c76af.jpeg

It is getting good reviews 

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

What alternatives are there to the Volvo XC40 at a similar price and specification? I am probably a couple of years away from next EV purchase, but I am already researching my shortlist. 

DAE63506-4A4E-4231-9EED-0ACE4F23AB79.thumb.jpeg.dafb8326705a227a79160b34ff44f8b2.jpeg

Currently BMW Thailand doesn’t have an EV under ฿3.5m 

8CD9F422-4390-47E8-9319-401C902C612F.thumb.jpeg.82783d3a2d4a5bd18304521b2f40ea7c.jpeg

BMW has announced a fully electric version of the iX1. When I spoke to BMW staff at a car show last year they said that they were hoping to assemble the iX1 at BMW’s Rayong plant to be eligible for the government’s EV grant, but no updates on this since.

Currently BMW Thailand is still showing the old model X1 on their website

6BB2858F-868F-485E-8612-AA02F2C029C4.thumb.jpeg.2a976bfd51ecdfcc606c39fd5bd00c4b.jpeg

But on the UK site the new model is shown

90F58EB4-0DB1-4ADF-8114-124DD865A903.thumb.jpeg.855d7b9cc90a0420a3fcc5d2655c76af.jpeg

It is getting good reviews 

There's the brand new Volvo C40 electric.  Similar price and spec and a really good looking car.  

https://www.volvocars.com/en-th/cars/c40-electric/

I am at a Volvo event in Hua Hin right now (an electric / hybrid rally from Bangkok - over 100 cars) and there was one C40, a really stunning looking thing. Last night they also announced there are two brand new all electric vehicles coming to market soon but details are scarce, we'll have to wait and see.   They'll also be electrifying the rest of the fleet in the coming months and years so V60, the rest of the XCs and S cars.  I think Volvo is the one to watch in this space, I think they are years ahead of the other mainstream brands.  They are already sold out for the rest of this year though.

Driving back to Bangkok in my (borrowed) electric XC40 today then will post my review.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

So tomorrow I give back the electric XC40 and get my petrol one back.  I don't want to swap back!

The all electric XC40 is a fantastic car.  The performance is insane and so much fun to drive.  The range is also very good, I got 400kms from a charge.  I left home with 90% and drove nearly 300kms (Bangkok to Hua Hin with some excursions and events along the way) and I had 25% charge left when I got there with a remaining range of 130kms it told me.  A 30 minute fast charge got me to 85% which was enough to drive home and I currently have 130kms range remaining again.   This is with four people in the car + luggage.

For the money I don't think anything can touch it for the spec.  The interior is really solid and well built with nice materials, the infotainment touchscreen is big and easy to use.  There is a 600W 13 speaker Harmon / Kardon sound system with subwoofer.  The interior is almost identical to my petrol XC40 (which is a nice place to be) except they now have full Google integration.  On my petrol car the navigation is Volvo's own, but in these new versions Google maps is integrated in to the car and all the voice commands for everything in the car are handled by Google.  If I am navigating in my current car I use Google on my phone as it is better than Volvo navigation, but now it is all the same thing - a big improvement.  Another improvement is this car is data connected (mine isn't) and Volvo give you four years for free.  So you can download apps, you can have Spotify integrated, you get over-the-air updates, technicians can log in to check faults remotely etc.  Just say "Hey Google" at any time and tell it what you want; whether that is directions, whether to ask it how much range you have left, or to tell it to turn up the AC.    Oh, and the map always has an icon you can press which will show you where the chargers are around you, what type, and in many cases (if the charges are internet connected) how many are in use and how many are free at the time.  Super!

One thing I liked is that when you ask Google to navigate somewhere it will also tell you how much battery you will have left when you get there and how much you would have left were you to drive back again.  This is a nice touch.  I must admit I did have range anxiety but I guess if you own the car you come to trust what it says.  On all my drives in it the battery charge it said I would have left when I arrived was always correct, even on a 300km journey.  So I think over time you wouldn't have that range anxiety, but for me as a noob it was always in the back of my mind (what if it is wrong?).   Also there are chargers everywhere these days.  And if you buy an electric Volvo they give you 25,000 baht credit with EA Everywhere which would last you a long long time - if I remember rightly a two hour charge costs 120 baht.

My friend spent more (3m baht) on an Audi Q3 top of the range but it isn't nearly as well specced as the Volvo.  No premium sound system, no data, much less tech and safety systems.  But it does look very cool, I love it, especially on 20 inch rims.

The active and passive safety systems on the Volvo are second to none as you'd expect I guess.  As an example in my current XC40 I was driving down Sukhumvit around 9pm in the rain.  I indicated to change lanes and started to move.   Half way across the lanes suddenly alarms went off and the car physically and forcefully moved me back in to my lane with the dashboard saying "collision avoidance action taken" (or words to that effect).  A fraction of a second after it pulled me back a motorbike with no lights on went flying by on my right at high speed.  Undoubtedly the technology saved his life.

The car can park itself, get out of parking spaces by itself, it can follow in traffic including steering, coming to a stop in traffic and moving off again.  

There is a mode (which I think Nissan pioneered) called "one pedal drive".  I hated it at first but once I had sussed out how to use it properly I am now a convert.  I drove all the way back from HH without touching the brake pedal once, it is very relaxing.

I have no affiliation to Volvo.  I have never bought two cars consecutively from the same manufacturer - I like to bounce around and have owned seven different brands.  But my next car will be electric, and it will be a Volvo.  I was so impressed with everything about it and spending three days with it gave me a great picture of what ownership would look like.  As mentioned in a different post they announced last night there are two new electric models coming next year which they said will be game changing so I am going to wait and see what they are before I make my choice.

In summary, it's brill.  I am ready to switch as it can easily fit my lifestyle (mostly driving around Bangkok with the occasional trip away).  If you regularly do very long journeys I would go with hybrid.  

I am going to jump in it now for a final blast before I return it tomorrow.  I am really going to miss this thing.

311576004_10159731965892672_5513295970734635020_n.jpeg

I forgot to add, in terms of charging.  A fast public DC charger gets you 70% charge in 30-40 minutes.  I charged for 30 minutes at Holiday Inn Hua Hin where I was staying and that got me home with a spare range of 130kms.

I am currently charging it at home just plugged in to a normal socket and it is charging at a rate of 10-11kms of range every hour.  Pretty slow.  However this is not my car so I don't have a wall box.

If you buy one Volvo will install a wall box at home (as do most manufacturers I think) and that should give you 50-60kms of range per hour.

You can connect the charger and go to bed but tell it when to actually start and stop charging, either by time of day or by charging percentage.  I do this on the touchscreen but there is an app that links to your car.  I didn't get to try this as to pair it for the first time you need to have all sets of keys in the car and I only have one key.

I am sure the charging speeds would be similar for all brand EVs but just posting it here for interest.  

The only annoying thing is that there are different brands of public chargers which all have a different app to use and to register for.  EA Anywhere, PTT EV Station Pluz, and PEA Volta are the three I came across.  But Google knows them all and where they are.  And I guess once you have set up the apps there is nothing to worry about, just rock up and use one.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I think Volvo is the one to watch in this space, I think they are years ahead of the other mainstream brands.

Volvo has never been a mainstream brand, it has been and probably always will be a niche product. Stands to reason that due to their Chinese parent company and the common platform (SEA) the marketing appeal could broaden, but I venture to guess that Geely will want to use the Volvo brand as their exclusive, high end vehicle.

7 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

The only annoying thing is that there are different brands of public chargers which all have a different app to use and to register for.  EA Anywhere, PTT EV Station Pluz, and PEA Volta are the three I came across.  But Google knows them all and where they are.  And I guess once you have set up the apps there is nothing to worry about, just rock up and use one.  

I agree, getting to know each charging network takes a bit of time. I test each one I see locally before using them on a long trip.

I have found that EA Anywhere doesn't like my debit card but seems happy with my SCB planet card (credit card that you preload by transferring cash in) PTT EV station doesn't like my SCB planet card but likes my debit card.

I like https://www.plugshare.com/ as it is community based and users can suggest new charging stations and write reviews on them. You can save your trips and favorite chargers

PlugShare.thumb.jpg.1511fe8e3ca0720c7aa35e79acc4e5e8.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

But Google knows them all and where they are.  And I guess once you have set up the apps there is nothing to worry about, just rock up and use one.  

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

I like https://www.plugshare.com/ as it is community based and users can suggest new charging stations and write reviews on them. You can save your trips and favorite chargers

Google does not show all chargers, even Apple Maps shows chargers which are not on GoogleMaps. Plugshare is currently the best source. It is a PIA there is no common app with map and pay mechanism for all providers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Klonko said:

Google does not show all chargers, even Apple Maps shows chargers which are not on GoogleMaps. Plugshare is currently the best source. It is a PIA there is no common app with map and pay mechanism for all providers.

Agree, not even close, Gmaps vs PlugShare:

image.png.87601c97489355627b891922298b1ff2.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Klonko said:

Ok, I stand corrected on that, thanks.  I didn't check it against plugshare.

Back in early 2019 I attended the Bangkok Motor show to look at EVs and the the pickings were pretty thin. One company we looked at was Mine Mobility  - the Thai Company behind the EA Anywhere chargers.

They had a couple of concept cars that they were planning to make in Thailand so we signed an expression of interest form to be kept informed.

IMG_20190402_125043.thumb.jpg.422093a8bca07e0b6a35dd80cfbfebfd.jpg

IMG_20190402_130317.thumb.jpg.11ae1c0632305f0f7ee7172ed443c97c.jpg

MIne Mobility have now launched their first Thai built EV but it doesn't look like any of the concept cars we saw. The rumor on the Thai EV forums is that the cars will launch soon - watch this space. 

1671309554_Mine2.thumb.jpg.5544b9a0feb18c77ad7bf71fba504c53.jpg

I rather fancy a pink one myself ????

311896421_854379289308758_8980883057931554716_n.jpg.f418a3969f84b8569bb6ec46e1d5c4d5.jpg

Official launch for MINE Mobility

MT 30 Mini Truck EV

battery 30 kWh

IP67

ground clearance 360 mm.

Fast Charge 15 mins

GW 1000 kgs

2.5x1.58 m. Flat back. Openable on 3 sides.

dimension 4585x

7" touch screen

Back 2 Wheel Drive

Gear single speed

motor 60 kW

Toque 200 NM

distance 202 km NEDC

NMC by Amita CCS2. Supports 70 kW charging.

Battery warranty for 8 years 160,000 km.

Standard color. Price is 748,500 Baht.

Pastel color. Price 766,500 baht.

You can contact us at www.minemobility.com

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Back in early 2019 I attended the Bangkok Motor show to look at EVs and the the pickings were pretty thin. One company we looked at was Mine Mobility  - the Thai Company behind the EA Anywhere chargers.

They had a couple of concept cars that they were planning to make in Thailand so we signed an expression of interest form to be kept informed.

IMG_20190402_125043.thumb.jpg.422093a8bca07e0b6a35dd80cfbfebfd.jpg

IMG_20190402_130317.thumb.jpg.11ae1c0632305f0f7ee7172ed443c97c.jpg

MIne Mobility have now launched their first Thai built EV but it doesn't look like any of the concept cars we saw. The rumor on the Thai EV forums is that the cars will launch soon - watch this space. 

1671309554_Mine2.thumb.jpg.5544b9a0feb18c77ad7bf71fba504c53.jpg

I rather fancy a pink one myself ????

311896421_854379289308758_8980883057931554716_n.jpg.f418a3969f84b8569bb6ec46e1d5c4d5.jpg

Official launch for MINE Mobility

MT 30 Mini Truck EV

battery 30 kWh

IP67

ground clearance 360 mm.

Fast Charge 15 mins

GW 1000 kgs

2.5x1.58 m. Flat back. Openable on 3 sides.

dimension 4585x

7" touch screen

Back 2 Wheel Drive

Gear single speed

motor 60 kW

Toque 200 NM

distance 202 km NEDC

NMC by Amita CCS2. Supports 70 kW charging.

Battery warranty for 8 years 160,000 km.

Standard color. Price is 748,500 Baht.

Pastel color. Price 766,500 baht.

You can contact us at www.minemobility.com

Much as I am a fan of EVs, I can’t fathom a possible need for this lol

• Haha 1

I have been following this thread with interest.

Many of the vehicles I have been unable to find any crash test results for.

Am aware of Euro NCAP and IIHS to name just 2, but many models show no results in a search of those sites or in a general search.

Generally the small, cheaper models which will make up the vast majority of sales in this country for monetary reasons are nowhere to be found.

BYD Atto 3 does have a 5 star Euro NCAP

14 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I would much rather see one of these parked outside my house making a Lazada delivery than the usual smoky diesel. 

B42A3F1C-7089-400A-B6FE-BB8830D02BE9.jpeg.a7cfecb931e7896606aba084316fe4ab.jpeg

BCF0B2EC-3A9D-425E-9A45-28925F94D8FA.thumb.jpeg.0eaf3cb04152b774ff89a0beb874b089.jpeg

If an EV delivery truck turns up at my house with a low charge they will find that I  have registered on PlugShare with the following description: (My solar system produces excess power most of the time and PEA won’t let me sell it back)

This is a personal/Home based EV charging and not for commercial purchase however I am happy to support in case of a real emergency.

• Love It 2

3 hours ago, seedy said:

Am aware of Euro NCAP and IIHS to name just 2, but many models show no

results in a search of those sites or in a general search.

Generally the small, cheaper models which will make up the vast majority of sales in this country for monetary reasons are nowhere to be found.

As posted - I AM aware of the two that recent posters listed.

My interest is in the many more that are NOT listed.

No need to post about ones I - and the world - can find easily

27 minutes ago, seedy said:

You might want to specify what actual vehicle you are interested in buying, so others can assist in your search.

"small, cheaper models which will make up the vast majority of sales" ...

... means which ones ?

MG ZS/EP 

GWM OGC

All have safety info available, being the 3 smaller, cheaper models most are buying.  

Or do you mean the < 600k baht vehicles available:

Wuling

POCCO

iMio

Takano

Fomm 1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seedy said:

"Light" vehicles rarely get decent NCAP ratings, and I assume most cars listed second tier by KhunLA will not be sold in western countries and therefore not obtain respective safety ratings. Official NCAP site with all tested and rated cars: https://www.euroncap.com/en.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, seedy said:

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

"small, cheaper models which will make up the vast majority of sales" ...

... means which ones ?

MG EP 

GWM OGC

Just those 2 alone make up almost 80% of the registered EVs in September.

Again, which one do you plan on buying here, in Thailand ?

Which ones are even available now in Thailand ? ... NETAs ?

I think we can scratch the ones highlighted in red as not being cheap.  MG ZS is still under 1 mill, barely.  Cheap is relative, and 1 mill is silly for 4 wheel transport, IMHO.  But, it is what it is.

Leaves the < 600k baht vehicles, and as stated, don't think will get tested in western world.  Maybe tested in China.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, seedy said:

I have been following this thread with interest.

Many of the vehicles I have been unable to find any crash test results for.

Am aware of Euro NCAP and IIHS to name just 2, but many models show no results in a search of those sites or in a general search.

BYD Atto 3 does have a 5 star Euro NCAP

Euro NCAP and IIHS focus on left hand drive cars  being sold in Europe and the US 

automotive manufacturers customized specs for each region and to comply with local legal requirements of a country that they are selling in

If an automotive manufacturer has no plans to sell in Europe they are unlikely to submit their vehicles for Euro NCAP testing as there is no point

So I don't believe you can take a NCAP or IIHS result and apply that result worldwide

Also the testing and ratings are different for each testing methodology used

Euro NCAP and ANCAP are fundamentally the same as ANCAP is based on Euro NCAP. JNCAP uses a different speed in its tests. IIHS has two extra vehicle tests, doesn’t measure pedestrian impact and uses a different rating method (i.e. not stars).

https://mocktheorytest.com/resources/how-to-use-crash-test-results-when-looking-to-buy-a-car/#:~:text=Euro NCAP and ANCAP use,different speed in its tests.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/about-euro-ncap/the-car-selection-explained/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Euro NCAP and IIHS focus on left hand drive cars  being sold in Europe and the US 

Sure RH driving countries have their own safety equivalent test.  Same cars sold here as those, so shouldn't be too hard to find, especially since amount of available vehicles here is extremely small for now.

Still scratching my head about what cars available here now, that don't have a safety rating from somewhere.  Especially origin country, as surely China does safety test, unless an Anti China shopper, then it's all irrelevant anyway, as they won't be buying.

Which case, no 'cheap' car here would be acceptable to anti China shoppers.

This is what people are buying, from Sept's registries, and not much cheap there.  Leaf for 2m, but why buy that when OGC & EP are available for way less, or ZS for 1/2 price:

image.png.d4477735ae265257895f785a24a6a9cc.png

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Just those 2 alone make up almost 80% of the registered EVs in September.

Again, which one do you plan on buying here, in Thailand ?

Which ones are even available now in Thailand ? ... NETAs ?

I think we can scratch the ones highlighted in red as not being cheap.  MG ZS is still under 1 mill, barely.  Cheap is relative, and 1 mill is silly for 4 wheel transport, IMHO.  But, it is what it is.

Leaves the < 600k baht vehicles, and as stated, don't think will get tested in western world.  Maybe tested in China.

edit, forgot photo ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Sure RH driving countries have their own safety equivalent test.  Same cars sold here as those, so shouldn't be too hard to find, especially since amount of available vehicles here is extremely small for now.

Still scratching my head about what cars available here now, that don't have a safety rating from somewhere.  Especially origin country, as surely China does safety test, unless an Anti China shopper, then it's all irrelevant anyway, as they won't be buying.

Which case, no 'cheap' car here would be acceptable to anti China shoppers.

This is what people are buying, from Sept's registries, and not much cheap there.  Leaf for 2m, but why buy that when OGC & EP are available for way less, or ZS for 1/2 price:

for asean countries there is Asean NCAP unfortunately no BEV tested to date

you shouldn't focus to much on country of orgin as a single factory will produced different VARIANTs for each region

Why do we need another NCAP in ASEAN since most cars are tested in other NCAP programs around the world?

https://v4-web.aseancap.org/faqs

HONDA HR-V (2022) tested July 2022 TESTED VARIANT ORIGIN Thailand Selling Region of tested VARIANT BRUNEI

https://v4-web.aseancap.org/result/5669

Or MG ZS 1.5L C+  Model year 2022 

TESTED VARIANT ORIGIN Selling Region of tested vehicle THAILAND, VIETNAM

https://v4-web.aseancap.org/result/5212

It should be said the results are only valid for the year of manufacture eg a car that was tested in 2020 the same results may not apply in 2022 if the  manufacture has made significant changes since the vehicle was tested

As for Nissan Leaf I suspect all the stock has been sold now the price was reduced to  959,000

https://autolifethailand.tv/final-call-nissan-leaf-ev-bev-959000/

Anyone wanting to buy today  OGC,MG ZS EV or MG EP is in for a long wait as at the moment they are not accepting new orders

At the moment best bet is Neta V or BYD Atto 3

• Like 1

South East Asian NCAP is focused on Malaysia, Phillipines and Singapore. Its members consist of these countries' automobile clubs and a Malaysian safety institute, limiting the financial resources for testing compared with European NCAP with its many more, partially state agency members. Therefore, fewer cars are tested, 3 cars in 2021 and 3 cars 2022 to date (European NCAP 37 cars 2021 and 37 cars 2022 to date). The SE ANACP test rating excludes general vulnerability of other road users, but includes motorcyclist safety since 2021, which focus makes sense.

I understand @vinny41' arguments that a test is accurate only for the country specific version of a car model. We do not know if the manufacturer saved on a driving assistant for Thailand, the Philippines, or both, i.e. we do not know if a SE ANCAP or a European NCAP test result is more relevant for Thailand. I assume that the ratings for occupants' protection (given same number of airbags) do not much depend on the country version, but there may be a different test result for the driving assistants. E.g, I consider the inabiliy of the Ora GoodCat's adaptive cruise control to scope with large speed differentials to be safety relevant, and other country versions may not have the same problem, because GWM forgoes on the THB 1'000 savings per car for other markets.

*****-NCAP ratings probably indicate decent safety standards irrespective of the NCAP body and the car's country, while the ≤ THB 500'000 cars are not likely to get *****-ratings anywhere.