Electric Vehicles in Thailand

2 hours ago, seedy said:

If you wish to be taken seriously - consider how much the EV takes from the solar array and add that to the cost of the EV

I suggest you Google "Load Shifting" and "The Duck Curve" if you want to be taken seriously when you talk about solar.

My solar system powers my house, but produces excess production in the middle of the day. To avoid curtailment I charge my EV. i.e. I am charging my EV for free

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I suggest you Google "Load Shifting" and "The Duck Curve" if you want to be taken seriously when you talk about solar.

My solar system powers my house, but produces excess production in the middle of the day. To avoid curtailment I charge my EV. i.e. I am charging my EV for free

On sunny days (of which there’s a lot in Thailand), I run 2-3 aircons downstairs just for the heck of it as it’s free solar power.

With a PHEV in the garage soon, I will throttle back and just run the main aircon in my living room if I need to charge up the car ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thailand's EV registrations in 2021

No. 1 is the MG ZS EV.

It must be admitted that it is the best-selling EV of the year with the 2022 MG ZS EV (MG ZS EV) registering 660 vehicles

The second place is the MG EP (MG EP) , an electric van with sales of 436 units 

The total number of new EV registrations in Thailand for the full year 2021 is only 1,643 vehicles,

https://www.autofun.co.th/news/ยอดจดทะเบียน-ev-ของประเทศไทยในปี-2021-นำโด่งด้วย-mg-แต่ยังไม่มีข้อมูล-ora-good-cat-39726

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/21/2022 at 8:08 AM, Jai Dee said:

GWM partners with PTT to build EV charger network

PTT Oil and Retail Business Public Company Limited

OR joins hands with GWM to install electric chargers under the brand “EV Station PluZ I GWM” in potential commercial areas outside of service stations, Mr. Suchart Ramas, President of PTT Oil and Retail Co., Ltd. Public Company Limited (OR) and Mr. Narong Sitalayan, Managing Director of Great Wall Motor (Thailand) (GWM) attended the signing ceremony of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on the installation of EV Station PluZ I GWM chargers in the area. potential commercial This is OR's first collaboration as an EV charging station operator and a leading automaker to expand Quick Charge charging stations in potential commercial areas outside of service stations, such as shopping centers, community Mall and areas in leading hotels, etc. will install pilot branches which is expected to be completed within the fourth quarter of 2022.

Source: EnergyTimeOnline

Strangely if you talk to people from a more advanced charging system country than Thailand they will tell you that the best place to charge your vehicle is at a desolate and wind swept station that only has a greasy spoon burger van that sells instant coffee, as when peoples cars are charged they will vacate immediately. The last place to charge is a supermarket, shopping center, tourist hot spot, anywhere with third party attractions as people tend to return to their cars, not when the car is charged but when they are ready to leave.

Some council ran car parks with chargers are giving 40 minutes free parking if you charge your vehicle. Of course people that do not really need to charge will still connect to the charger and get 40 minutes free city center parking.

How long before we see the first photo of the ICE vehicle parked in the mall charging bay as it is less distance to walk?

14 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

How long before we see the first photo of the ICE vehicle parked in the mall charging bay as it is less distance to walk?

Here’s a Toyota Yaris parking in an EV charging bay at Robinson Buriram.  I agree it’s going to be a problem here in Thailand. Currently it’s not a problem as there are far more charging stations than there are EVs wanting to charge. The vast majority of EV charging is done at home.  

3201AF17-22BF-456C-8DC1-0ECADAA3C1E5.thumb.jpeg.d1caeabfec4e06e7a24f99dfc0b8c2f1.jpeg

The only way that VIP parking places are protected in Thailand is by having security standing by. The EV charging stations at Central Festival shopping center Pattaya has security that manages the queue.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, stratocaster said:

Strangely if you talk to people from a more advanced charging system country than Thailand they will tell you that the best place to charge your vehicle is at a desolate and wind swept station that only has a greasy spoon burger van that sells instant coffee, as when peoples cars are charged they will vacate immediately. The last place to charge is a supermarket, shopping center, tourist hot spot, anywhere with third party attractions as people tend to return to their cars, not when the car is charged but when they are ready to leave.

Some council ran car parks with chargers are giving 40 minutes free parking if you charge your vehicle. Of course people that do not really need to charge will still connect to the charger and get 40 minutes free city center parking.

Not sure which country you are referring to can't be the UK as the majority of greasy spoon burger vans are usually parked in lay-by have no access to electricity.

Given that some charging outlets are now charging £1 per kilo watt where depending on what electic tariff your on you can charge for £0.075p per kilo watt 

Home charging would seem to be the cheapest option unless your going somewhere long distance and you need to charge away from home.

Most UK councils I know don't give anything for free so they wack up the rate that you pay for charging and say we wouldn't charge you a parking fee while your charging your vehicle but they do its just hidden in the rate cost per kilo watt

• Like 2

MG EV home charging unit ... not installed yet ????

Probably because we didn't even pay for the car yet, have appt. to pick up Saturday.   Charging unit installer (subbed out) at the house about an hour ago, assessing the job ????

Getting the impression there won't be much of a wait after picking up the car.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Apart from the fact that it’s a Toyota (overpriced vehicles imo), I wouldn’t want to take a chance with this vehicle. Who knows what might happen down the road (pardon the pun) if you have a puncture or need to change tyres? Trust Tyre plus or B quik to tighten up the bolts correctly?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Apart from the fact that it’s a Toyota (overpriced vehicles imo), I wouldn’t want to take a chance with this vehicle. Who knows what might happen down the road (pardon the pun) if you have a puncture or need to change tyres? Trust Tyre plus or B quik to tighten up the bolts correctly?

You think Toyota is overpriced? Really? I think you confused with quality and value for money. 

Why are all taxi drivers use Corolla Altis?

I'm really a fan of Chinese built E-SUVs and EVs but considering the price of the Toyota bz it's very attractive to other similar models such as Tesla Y or upcoming Haval H6 EV.

Btw, the issues with the falling off tyres was related to a design problem with the bolts and not how to fix them 

1 hour ago, CLW said:

a design problem with the bolts and not how to fix them 

555 - they have been making fasteners for years.

The problem is trying to use the cheapest materials and manufacturing.

Things that all OEMs - and particularly our CCCP northern neighbors - do all the time.

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

I apologize for my misunderstanding. Apparently, you are globally in error.

Yup - all OEM use only the best, highest quality, top notch components so their customers can enjoy miles and miles and years and years of trouble free motoring.

Google Tesla door handles, BMW plastic intake manifolds, ... I could go on and on.

2 minutes ago, seedy said:

Yup - all OEM use only the best, highest quality, top notch components so their customers can enjoy miles and miles and years and years of trouble free motoring.

Google Tesla door handles, BMW plastic intake manifolds, ... I could go on and on.

You mean not 100% of their choices were correct? Shocking!

On 10/30/2022 at 1:43 PM, Gweiloman said:

Fleet sales (for taxis etc) are a different scenario altogether then individual sales. I’m sure the RTP did not pay showroom prices for their smart BMW’s.

When I was shopping for a small sized sedan, I was amazed at how much more expensive the Toyota models were compared to Mazda, Suzuki and MG. Not only that but the technology was obsolete. Some of the models didn’t even have an infotainment system much less Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. I ended up buying the Mazda 2, great car.

I didn’t realise that Haval is coming out with a full EV. That is very interesting but I’ve already put a down payment on the PHEV which suits my requirements.

The few reviews I saw online about the BR4Z was lukewarm only, The efficiency seems below par compared to some other similarly priced vehicles. The Tesla is too expensive for me and doesn’t have the support network for now so it’s really buyers beware.

Not in urgent need to buy a car / EV but my favorite is still the GWM Ora Good Cat.

Waiting for BYD Seal because I like the design. However, price not out yet.

Also observing Tesla coming to Thailand, Model 3 would be my choice

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Not in urgent need to buy a car / EV but my favorite is still the GWM Ora Good Cat.

I am currently driving the MG HS PHEV. It is roomy comfortable with lots of tech and a 6.9 sec 0-100k

20210601_061736506_iOS.thumb.jpg.e13a2e1910d349071fa5766b94ed795b.jpg

My next EV needs to be at least as roomy and comfortable. I like the Tesla model Y it's a very impressive piece of technology but it's very basic (minimalist) inside. I don't like the lack of a driver's display of even a heads-up display and why no apple car play? The ride is very firm and not adjustable. It's priced as a luxury car but it doesn't seem very luxurious.

The BMW iX1 is beaten by the model Y on all the specs but it's brown leather seats and wood dash it feels like a luxury car. 

We are still waiting for the price of both these cars in Thailand  - plenty of time for me to change my mind.

20221022_020912516_iOS.jpg.b34b141074f55878a1913b682ba601d9.jpg

20221022_021001142_iOS.jpg.ca601efacf59c0ce53a2388525d8eb66.jpg20221022_021026401_iOS.jpg.0222c798ee3edeede9538c41b689a5b5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CLW said:

GWM has reopened the order books for the Ora Good Cat.

Tesla is very expensive and unless they start to build up a charging network, doesn’t offer much more advantages over their rivals.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

GWM has reopened the order books for the Ora Good Cat.

Tesla is very expensive and unless they start to build up a charging network, doesn’t offer much more advantages over their rivals.

I guess its because China has a larger choice of EV vehicles but for some reason Ora Cat not that popular in China sales for 2022 to date are 53,689 compared to the number 1  Wuling Hongguang Mini EV sales for 2022 to date are 316,238

China-top-20-plugin-vehicles-in-January-

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I guess its because China has a larger choice of EV vehicles but for some reason Ora Cat not that popular in China sales for 2022 to date are 53,689 compared to the number 1  Wuling Hongguang Mini EV sales for 2022 to date are 316,238

I have no idea what the respective costs of these vehicles are. Could the level of sales be related to their cost?

50 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I believe they are completely different class of vehicles. I was very  surprised at the size of the good cat (it’s bigger than it seems from pictures).

3 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I believe they are completely different class of vehicles. I was very  surprised at the size of the good cat (it’s bigger than it seems from pictures).

This article may explain why the Ora cat sales figures are what they are in China

ORA: Good Cat gone bad?

https://carnewschina.com/2022/01/22/ora-good-cat-gone-bad/

According to the article this issue only affected cars sold in China

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

This article may explain why the Ora cat sales figures are what they are in China

ORA: Good Cat gone bad?

https://carnewschina.com/2022/01/22/ora-good-cat-gone-bad/

According to the article this issue only affected cars sold in China

Very bad for GWM. Let’s hope they pay a big price and learn from this dishonest behaviour.

7 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Very bad for GWM. Let’s hope they pay a big price and learn from this dishonest behaviour.

Out of all the things to lie about they chose a processor in the infotainment.  So weird.  No lies about range, battery life, anything else which may persuade you to buy, but the unseen processor in the infotainment.

Edited by josephbloggs

5 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Out of all the things to lie about they chose a processor in the infotainment.  So weird.  No lies about range, battery life, anything else which may persuade you to buy, but the unseen processor in the infotainment.

I guess the average consumer, including me, would be blissfully unaware other than griping that the autonomous driving feature is not good lol.

5 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I guess the average consumer, including me, would be blissfully unaware other than griping that the autonomous driving feature is not good lol.

Here are some features that would be affected

During the 11 months of use, the car and the car often suffered from navigation jams, the map could not be upgraded, and the music library could not be updated.

https://inf.news/en/auto/a366f5d31355d07596e6f76d8d6c991b.html

many car owners found problems such as stuttering of the Ola cat machine, inability to update the version of APP, inaccurate face recognition, drift of navigation and positioning, and inability to save kinetic energy recovery settings.

https://news.metal.com/newscontent/101690667/eulers-"core-changing-door"-continues-to-ferment-the-great-wall-again-declares-that-the-car-owner-is-dissatisfied-with-the-compensation-plan-of-400-million-yuan

• Like 1