Electric Vehicles in Thailand

1 hour ago, Klonko said:

I consider the inabiliy of the Ora GoodCat's adaptive cruise control to scope with large speed differentials to be safety relevant

The Musk-mobile has a nasty habit of running over motorcycles traveling in the same lane .

Edited by seedy

1 hour ago, Klonko said:

South East Asian NCAP is focused on Malaysia, Phillipines and Singapore. Its members consist of these countries' automobile clubs and a Malaysian safety institute, limiting the financial resources for testing compared with European NCAP with its many more, partially state agency members. Therefore, fewer cars are tested, 3 cars in 2021 and 3 cars 2022 to date (European NCAP 37 cars 2021 and 37 cars 2022 to date). The SE ANACP test rating excludes general vulnerability of other road users, but includes motorcyclist safety since 2021, which focus makes sense.

I understand @vinny41' arguments that a test is accurate only for the country specific version of a car model. We do not know if the manufacturer saved on a driving assistant for Thailand, the Philippines, or both, i.e. we do not know if a SE ANCAP or a European NCAP test result is more relevant for Thailand. I assume that the ratings for occupants' protection (given same number of airbags) do not much depend on the country version, but there may be a different test result for the driving assistants. E.g, I consider the inabiliy of the Ora GoodCat's adaptive cruise control to scope with large speed differentials to be safety relevant, and other country versions may not have the same problem, because GWM forgoes on the THB 1'000 savings per car for other markets.

*****-NCAP ratings probably indicate decent safety standards irrespective of the NCAP body and the car's country, while the ≤ THB 500'000 cars are not likely to get *****-ratings anywhere.

Recently, on 1st. December 2014, the Royal Automobile Association of Thailand (RAAT) has joined. ASEAN NCAP

https://unece.org/DAM/trans/doc/2015/wp29/WP29-165-10e.pdf

And 500,000 baht cars are tested as shown here

SUZUKI SWIFT (2018)

TESTED VARIANT ORIGIN THAILAND FOR THAILAND

https://v4-web.aseancap.org/result/4318

HONDA CITY (2020)

https://v4-web.aseancap.org/result/4986

How ASEAN NCAP can help in making the decision to buy a car?

https://v4-web.aseancap.org/faqs

There is a China version of ncap 

Edited by vinny41
add

38 minutes ago, seedy said:

The Musk-mobile has a nasty habit of running over motorcycles traveling in the same lane .

The ORA GoodCat has an anti-collision assistant but I am hezitating to find out out how it works while driving with active cruise control @ 90 km/h and approaching a car or motorcycle stopped ahead at a red light. The Ora GoodCat still drives on while my Tesla  smoothly brakes and stops for any car, motorcycle or bicycle driving or stopped ahead, and prevents me from passing bicycles giving less than 1.5m space. Most Tesla stories stem from drivers blaming the car for their own mistakes.

21 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Recently, on 1st. December 2014, the Royal Automobile Association of Thailand (RAAT) has joined. ASEAN NCAP

https://unece.org/DAM/trans/doc/2015/wp29/WP29-165-10e.pdf

And 500,000 baht cars are tested as shown here

SUZUKI SWIFT (2018)

https://v4-web.aseancap.org/result/4318

HONDA CITY (2020)

https://v4-web.aseancap.org/result/4986

How ASEAN NCAP can help in making the decision to buy a car?

https://v4-web.aseancap.org/faqs

There is a China version of ncap 

Thank you for your correction. I should not rely on Wikipedia.

• Thumbs Up 1

I could care less about 'assistant features' especially if they take control of the vehicle away from me.  If so, I prefer not to have them installed.  Give me ABS, anti sway features, but nothing that hinder my actual driving in an emergency.  

If I want to put the car in a ditch to avoid a head on, I don't want the car taking control, since it can't detect a road surface.  Or if the vehicle on one side of me is getting too close, but in my mirror I see a semi about to pass me at speed, I don't the 'car' to move me over half a meter, away from a top on the one side by a car vs a top by a semi it doesn't see yet.

Make them 'allowed' features in the settings, not default settings.   I only care how the occupants will do in a collision.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Klonko said:

The ORA GoodCat has an anti-collision assistant but I am hezitating to find out out how it works while driving with active cruise control @ 90 km/h and approaching a car or motorcycle stopped ahead at a red light. The Ora GoodCat still drives on while my Tesla  smoothly brakes and stops for any car, motorcycle or bicycle driving or stopped ahead, and prevents me from passing bicycles giving less than 1.5m space. Most Tesla stories stem from drivers blaming the car for their own mistakes.

I read some stories about GWM Jolion owners throwing a cardboard box in front of the car to test the anti collision mode !!

Seemed to work though .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I recently had a online discussion with a gentleman in Australia about EVs: “What we need here in Australia is an electric ute. Is Ford going to be sending the F150 Lightning to Australia?”  

My answer was probably no as the F150 is a “Full Sized” pickup truck and outside the US most of us drive “Mid Sized” pickups. I did point out in the discussion that the Ford Rangers sold in Australia are made in Thailand and there have been persistent rumors of an electric Ranger.

Just seen this post by the Electric Vehicle Association of Thailand on their Facebook page:

(Translated from Thai)

“Investment plan for Thai EV car manufacturers: 

Foxconn (Foxconn), the manufacturer of electric power cars, new front but full of readiness, is expected to join hands with PTT. (PTT) on behalf of Hozon Company (Hozon) and Arun Plus Company to establish a base for production of Neta Electric Power Cars (NETA) and spare parts with an investment of over 39,500 million baht.

While MINEmobility (MINEmobolity) is a Thai car company that has been talked about in the media for a while. In addition to the launch of MT30, an electric pickup truck on October 18, there are also news reports that the company has an investment plan of 7,700 million baht to set up an assembly plant with Electric cars coming. 

The report says BYD is one of the world’s largest electric car battery manufacturers and is also another leading electric car producer. Thailand has plans to produce electric car and battery units with over 19,700 million coins. Baht has previously launched an ATTO 3 electric car (ATTO 3) which will soon be on the market in Thailand.

Western brands like Mercedes-Benz also have investment plans for car and battery production worth more than 4,700 million baht as well.

But the hottest from the west is Ford, the legendary US car camp that announced investment plan in production. Electric pickup truck over 38,700 million Baht.

In addition to 4 brands, car manufacturers that are already in the news, there are other brands such as MG, Toyota, Great Wall Motor (GWM) that have already started planning to operate the production line. There are many other brands that are rumored to be interested in investing in Thailand as a base”

Edited by Bandersnatch

Many times when I post online about EVs, someone will respond with a comment like. “Forget EVs, Hydrogen is the power source of the future” To which I inevitably respond “I agree with you, Hydrogen is the power source of the future, and it always will be!”

Toyota doesn’t currently sell a full electric car (BEV) in Thailand but instead the hydrogen fuel cell “Toyota Mirai” enters Thailand this November. 

People complain about the lack of EV charging stations in Thailand (Generally people who don’t own an EV) Those same people will probably be very quiet about the fact that currently there isn’t a single Hydrogen filling station in Thailand!

There are often complaints about how expensive EVs are and by comparison the Mirai is expected to be launched in Thailand at a price of 2-2.3 million baht

Technically the Mirai is a hydrogen electric car, it has a fuel cell that is used to charge a battery which drives an electric motor. I for one will not be buying one as I can charge my current EV from my rooftop solar, but I cannot make Hydrogen at home.

Read more content: https://www.springnews.co.th/digital-tech/auto/831368

974F0DAD-420C-41E6-94AF-628B545CB533.jpeg.2986434c6ac1045cd7676447f9ae36f8.jpeg

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

China 2022 Q3 complaints per 10K units sold - Top Models

https://twitter.com/MoneybaII_R/status/1583310020141203456?cxt=HHwWgICq_eKEhvkrAAAA

Least number of complaints is Tesla Model Y

Some brands that are in Thailand are on the list

source is chinese website 12365AUTO

Tesla Model Y was the best and model 3 was third best in the survey looking forward to seeing them coming to Thailand soon.

5C70240F-059B-42EA-A738-B826C282A55B.thumb.jpeg.994c33b95e36835770f76f62535e4e10.jpeg

9 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

China 2022 Q3 complaints per 10K units sold - Top Models

https://twitter.com/MoneybaII_R/status/1583310020141203456?cxt=HHwWgICq_eKEhvkrAAAA

Least number of complaints is Tesla Model Y

Some brands that are in Thailand are on the list

source is chinese website 12365AUTO

Don't know how accurate, but I like it.

MGs not making the list, and only 1 SAIC, one of their minis.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Don't know how accurate, but I like it.

MGs not making the list, and only 1 SAIC, one of their minis.

Have owned an MG EV for 18 months and had no problems, so when I received a warning message on the app I was quite shocked, turned out one of my tires had low pressure!

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, macahoom said:

I have owned a ZS EV for over 3 years. 

No problems except when I failed to sign out of the app and the 12v battery went flat. An MG mechanic came to the house and installed a new battery - no charge. I thought this was very odd, but great.

Interesting. I have never signed out of my MG app. The first time I launch it in the day is does a full diagnostic check on the car including the 12v battery charge level. A low charge level would generate a warning message. 

captain DIY a Thai YouTuber who I follow bought one of the first ZS EVs in Thailand and he also had problems with his 12v battery initially. He still drives it today, but I haven’t heard any problems since. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Interesting. I have never signed out of my MG app. The first time I launch it in the day is does a full diagnostic check on the car including the 12v battery charge level. A low charge level would generate a warning message. 

captain DIY a Thai YouTuber who I follow bought one of the first ZS EVs in Thailand and he also had problems with his 12v battery initially. He still drives it today, but I haven’t heard any problems since. 

Ah! I'm now thinking that they just told me that it was my fault that the battery was flat and, in actual fact, the battery was faulty - hence them giving me a brand new one at no charge.

Makes sense!

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Klonko said:

Are the chargers at MG dealerships for MG cars only or also for other car brands?

I don't know about all dealerships, but on one occasion I charged a non-MG car at an MG charging dock at a dealership - one of the red, DC ones.

There is a red MG one in the car park of a hotel in Prachuap Khiri Khan. Presumably, that one can be used by any car. 

• Thanks 2

Order update, for those that ordered a MG ZS EV.  

Ordered May 19th, due sometime within 6 months, so Nov 19th

Told a couple weeks ago, Nov 5th arrival.  Told today, has arrived.

Give them a couple days, and it will be ready for pick-up ????

MG has been excellent, and given us # on Q arrival update when asked.  OK, we only asked once, as didn't know they could actually provide the info.  Sept 20th, told #33 on the Q:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1257405-electric-vehicles-in-thailand/page/28/#comment-17617224

No takers on our ICE ZS, and as much as I like it, really can't justify keeping it, as doubt if I'd ever use.  Unless a Makro shopping run, I've been using the E-motorcycle exclusively the past year when Sniffy the WonderDog and myself are out cruising.  Guess the 2nd hand folks will be getting that, hopefully a bit more than ฿400k.  2 yrs old and just passed 37k kms, on our return from Hua Hin yesterday.   Shameless plug:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1274277-2020-mg-zs-15l-d-plus/

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, seedy said:

So will you add the depreciation to the cost of your new EV ?

Online search has prices from 689 - 799 THB

Or is this the same line item as your 'free' solar power that you use to charge with ?

I have answered this question several times already. The market for EVs in Thailand is no different to what is happening is other countries. 

1) Demand for EVs is expanding every year

2) The supply of EVs is failing to keep up with demand resulting in long waiting times for new EVs

3) Resulting in high demand for used EVs and not falling prices

1576872963_EVSalesThailand.thumb.jpg.665dd52d3f009a5861283886658f6a43.jpg

608956315_UsedEVpricesThailand26102022.thumb.jpg.64a0bf278dc35723af36a799ac510136.jpg

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 1

It's interesting to look at EV sales by manufacturer for 2021. I assume this includes all plug-ins.

1253369886_EVSalesThailandbytype.thumb.jpg.bf7143afeabc731f7dedf5e930862491.jpg

I was surprised to see BMW in second place behind MG.

A BMW dealer said to me last year that BMW was hoping to assemble the new iX1 in Thailand to gain access to the government subsidy. In Australia it will sell for ฿2,000,000

102716914_BMWiX1Australia.thumb.jpg.f2daab76223361d07a3db9506ef88094.jpg

5 hours ago, seedy said:

So will you add the depreciation to the cost of your new EV ?

Online search has prices from 689 - 799 THB

Or is this the same line item as your 'free' solar power that you use to charge with ?

Add depreciation to cost of new purchase ?

Why and who does that, unless trying to figure out a cost analysis of owning a vehicle over a certain period of time.

The car price this amount (949k), where the funds come from is irrelevant.  I didn't add the cost of the substantial depreciation, relative, from previous sales/purchases with ICEs; Vios to Vios to Mazda2 to MG ZS (ICE).

Trading in a 2 yr old car isn't the most financially advantageous thing to do, but neither is waiting for a better long term return on owning vs pouring the cost of more petrol & maintenance into it. 

When now I can only see prices going up, due to supply & demand, or even availability.  With govt incentive ending in 2023.

Other cars I kept for an average of 6 yrs each, and weren't worth much on trade in/sales.   Mazda so little, I just gave it to my daughter, who needed a car, and it's still driving fine.

Because my ICE depreciated 300k over 2 yrs, I'm suppose to add that to the 949k price of the EV ?

OR .. because it's still worth 400k, does that mean the EV is now only 555k, since the actually out of pocket money I'll need to buy it ?   Both are kind stupid.  EV cost 955k all in.  That's the price, where the money comes from is irrelevant.  Although thankfully, just pocket money after the ICE is sold.

No need to touch any savings or oops account, just the play money/pocket money account.

Going to need to try a different spin than that .... 'OMG ... they had to pay for the EV'

News Flash; you have pay for ICEs when you buy them also.

I am losing more % wise vs my usual holding the car longer, yes & no.

But also saving, hopefully balancing at least on operation cost of same for 4 more years, my usual, and what's available in 4 yrs, against no govt incentives.

My brother gets a new car every year ... now nuts, but he doesn't care.

I want the EV, especially since having solar ... so I don't care.  Long term over next 4 yrs, pretty sure I'll be way ahead on that decision.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I want the EV, especially since having solar ... so I don't care.  Long term over next 4 yrs, pretty sure I'll be way ahead on that decision.

If I had my books done the same as you do re: cost of your EV I would have a huge tax bill, plus charges, and risk jail.

If you wish to be taken seriously - consider how much the EV takes from the solar array and add that to the cost of the EV.

Your way is kinda like saying "My wife got a new car, but it is in her name, so it did not cost me anything. It is not MY car" 555

43 minutes ago, seedy said:

If I had my books done the same as you do re: cost of your EV I would have a huge tax bill, plus charges, and risk jail.

If you wish to be taken seriously - consider how much the EV takes from the solar array and add that to the cost of the EV.

Your way is kinda like saying "My wife got a new car, but it is in her name, so it did not cost me anything. It is not MY car" 555

Then I need to add the cost of the land & house to the EV, as that's where the solar sits.   You're not making any sense, or what sense or point you are trying to make, I'm not getting it, is more like it.  

Taxes .. it's not a business or deduction, as I've done that in the past, again, mango & papayas.

1 ... I need land & house, as I hate renting, waste of money

2 ... I want solar, as cheaper than PEA as a long term investment

3 ... I want EV, as cheaper, and less hassle, than ICE, as long term investment.

1 is mandatory

2 is optional, but great investment for lower living cost.  That it powers the house & car, is simply a plus, and good financial planning IMHO

3 is a luxury, but I want.   I don't need any vehicle, but does make life more enjoyable, and owning any, ICE or EV, is probably my largest monthly expense.  And TBH, a silly one at that.  But I don't care.

I could be driving the Mazda 2, as didn't need the ZS (ICE) either, as the Mazda was/is a fine car.  Don't need the ebike or e-scooter, as can walk anywhere I 'need' to be, or bicycle it, for speed & convenience. 

I literally don't need any transport vehicle, powered or not; solar, petrol, pedal.  My feet work just fine, and probably the healthiest option of the 4.

We're buying a car, for said price, how anything else figures into that, I don't know.  I'm not doing a cost analysis of owning a vehicle.

What if it was my very first car ... then what would you say ?

By spending my money, instead of earning interest at the bank (.25%) I need to add that to the cost of the car, or is that offset by actually spending, losing the interest, but buying something cost less this year instead of inflationary price of next year.  With inflation, the buying power of said money is less, so spend now.

I could even argue, the EV isn't costing me a anything.  Some other idiot is paying for it, because of our past RE investments.  So the land, house, solar, EV purchases, in reality, haven't cost me any money out of pocket.  I still have all the money I arrived in Thailand with, actually more.

It's a car ... machine for going from point A to point B

Y'all writing way too much into it.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Order update, for those that ordered a MG ZS EV.  

Ordered May 19th, due sometime within 6 months, so Nov 19th

Told a couple weeks ago, Nov 5th arrival.  Told today, has arrived.

Give them a couple days, and it will be ready for pick-up ????

Looking forward to your review of the car. 

I'll be very surprised if you don't love it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1