Electric Vehicles in Thailand

On 10/31/2022 at 8:37 PM, Bandersnatch said:

I am currently driving the MG HS PHEV. It is roomy comfortable with lots of tech and a 6.9 sec 0-100k

20210601_061736506_iOS.thumb.jpg.e13a2e1910d349071fa5766b94ed795b.jpg

My next EV needs to be at least as roomy and comfortable. I like the Tesla model Y it's a very impressive piece of technology but it's very basic (minimalist) inside. I don't like the lack of a driver's display of even a heads-up display and why no apple car play? The ride is very firm and not adjustable. It's priced as a luxury car but it doesn't seem very luxurious.

The BMW iX1 is beaten by the model Y on all the specs but it's brown leather seats and wood dash it feels like a luxury car. 

We are still waiting for the price of both these cars in Thailand  - plenty of time for me to change my mind.

20221022_020912516_iOS.jpg.b34b141074f55878a1913b682ba601d9.jpg

20221022_021001142_iOS.jpg.ca601efacf59c0ce53a2388525d8eb66.jpg20221022_021026401_iOS.jpg.0222c798ee3edeede9538c41b689a5b5.jpg

No offense, I don't like SUVs

Regarding electric two-wheelers / motorcycles, anyone driving or has some first-hand knowledge about the Super Soco TC max?

Actually waiting for the release of NIU RQi but our current family motorcycle (Scoopy with almost 100k, not kidding) waiting to break down anytime soon and I don't want to invest for some major repairs.

47 minutes ago, CLW said:

Regarding electric two-wheelers / motorcycles, anyone driving or has some first-hand knowledge about the Super Soco TC max?

Actually waiting for the release of NIU RQi but our current family motorcycle (Scoopy with almost 100k, not kidding) waiting to break down anytime soon and I don't want to invest for some major repairs.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1227775-how-practical-is-an-electric-motorbike/page/4/#comment-17087620

Mine: https://decogreenenergy.com/index.php/th/product-deco/electric-motorcycles/susu

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, vinny41 said:

MG 4 Electric, a 100% electric car, is ready to open for reservations in Thailand on 15 November!

https://www.mgcars.com/th/Home

https://www.headlightmag.com/2022-11-09-mg-4-electric-open-booking-in-thialand-15-nov-2022/

Thailand specs not available at the moment

Thailand price not available at the moment

Nice, but why not MG5 as EV. Or is it maybe coming soon?

Toyota bZ4X is now launched in Thailand. Only the 4 wheel drive version will be sold in Thailand

0-100km 6.9 seconds

The price quoted is after the Government 150,000 Baht EV discount.

1954279798_ToyotabZ4XPrice.thumb.jpg.56f15fe733324940fa96aea9ed632355.jpg

Launching with a black roof in Thailand is not a great choice.

1738616054_ToyotabZ4Xcolour.thumb.jpg.20046763abba5dafac8bfa17a270afcb.jpg

20221110_065538000_iOS.png.90194e805764291fabdae4e19e6bdfa4.png

Launch Video in English, Japanese and Thai:

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/6/2022 at 6:37 PM, Bandersnatch said:

The MG EP 2022 is no longer available for order in Thailand or the UK (where it is known as the MG 5) It looks like we will have to wait until 2023 for the new model to become available here in Thailand

MG reopened the order books about a month ago for the MG EP+ and it's still 771,000 baht, we took delivery of one at the same time and ordered another as did 2 of my friends.

From what I understand, they took orders for 4,000 when the government announced the EV subsidy but many of the buyers went out and bought something else during the 6-7 month delivery time so there are still some of the government approved 4,000 subsidies available for allocation.

The facelifted version is expected to be between 1.1M and 1.2M baht, or perhaps I should say facelowered  as it doesn't look as imposing on the road.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

MG reopened the order books about a month ago for the MG EP+ and it's still 771,000 baht, we took delivery of one at the same time and ordered another as did 2 of my friends.

From what I understand, they took orders for 4,000 when the government announced the EV subsidy but many of the buyers went out and bought something else during the 6-7 month delivery time so there are still some of the government approved 4,000 subsidies available for allocation.

The facelifted version is expected to be between 1.1M and 1.2M baht, or perhaps I should say facelowered  as it doesn't look as imposing on the road.

Thanks for the update. My local dealer told me that there was no stock of the old model EP, but stock availability coming out of canceled orders makes sense and probably explains differences in regional availability.

The new model EP has the same battery and drive train as the previous model which is really excellent value for money at the lower price. Congratulations on bagging a couple of bargain EVs. 

4 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Toyota bZ4X is now launched in Thailand. Only the 4 wheel drive version will be sold in Thailand

0-100km 6.9 seconds

The price quoted is after the Government 150,000 Baht EV discount.

1954279798_ToyotabZ4XPrice.thumb.jpg.56f15fe733324940fa96aea9ed632355.jpg

Launching with a black roof in Thailand is not a great choice.

1738616054_ToyotabZ4Xcolour.thumb.jpg.20046763abba5dafac8bfa17a270afcb.jpg

20221110_065538000_iOS.png.90194e805764291fabdae4e19e6bdfa4.png

Launch Video in English, Japanese and Thai:

As I have previously mentioned, the Toyota bZ4X had a problem with wheel nuts coming loose and all cars had to be recalled. I have now heard that the Toyota claimed WLTP range of 470km was independently tested at 307km

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Car expert issues urgent warning to Aussies buying from Chinese-owned car company GWM Haval

A car expert has warned Aussies to think twice before purchasing a car from Chinese-owned company GWM Haval after the SUV H6 he was test-driving activated its own brakes while he was driving on a highway at 100kph.

Car expert Josh Dowling said he had been driving at about 80km/hour on a highway between Lithgow and Bathurst.

'I actually had the car detect the steel barrier, and it tried to slam the brakes at about 20km/h off the speed which was around 100km/h,' Mr Dowling said on 2GB.

'It was scary. And it also couldn't follow the lane marking.'

The motoring journalist said he had flagged the issue with Haval who said they would pass it on to the manufacturers in China.

'I think it's borderline dangerous, I don't think every motorist is going to be expecting this so I would really encourage Haval to get this fixed,' he said.

Read the full story from Daily Mail Australia here.

31 minutes ago, Encid said:

Car expert issues urgent warning to Aussies buying from Chinese-owned car company GWM Haval

A car expert has warned Aussies to think twice before purchasing a car from Chinese-owned company GWM Haval after the SUV H6 he was test-driving activated its own brakes while he was driving on a highway at 100kph.

Car expert Josh Dowling said he had been driving at about 80km/hour on a highway between Lithgow and Bathurst.

'I actually had the car detect the steel barrier, and it tried to slam the brakes at about 20km/h off the speed which was around 100km/h,' Mr Dowling said on 2GB.

'It was scary. And it also couldn't follow the lane marking.'

The motoring journalist said he had flagged the issue with Haval who said they would pass it on to the manufacturers in China.

'I think it's borderline dangerous, I don't think every motorist is going to be expecting this so I would really encourage Haval to get this fixed,' he said.

Read the full story from Daily Mail Australia here.

Car expert Josh Dowling said the Haval H6 (pictured) comes with a seven-year warranty, has good headlights, has a lot of space inside and is 'pretty nice' going over bumps

Not a great quote from the “ expert “ !!

But seriously I have been following a few FB Haval groups and this is a thing, mentioned often, the metal safety barriers on a bend are picked up by the safety features of H6 and Jolion ( haven’t been following Ora GC ) and reduces speed by 20 kph.

Been reported for a while already.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Call me old fashioned but I prefer to be in control when behind the wheel especially on Thai roads, not sure i even want to try self parking mode offered on some new cars now.

Agree, first test drive on hwy at speed, took more than a few kms to get comfortable with.  Didn't change any defaults, as didn't have a clue at the time.  Picked up at dealer, drove away for hwy test drive ... NOT recommended to do, even if an experienced, confident driver.

Instead, test the features at speed, but on an open, empty-ish road.  It could definitely cause a problem with an inexperienced driver.  

Actually like the features now, since knowing how to adjust them.  On the MG ZS, they perform more 'enhanced' when in cruise control.  Extremely noticeable, and that took a while to get use to.  Regenerative breaking and your tailgating distance braking can be an issue if not paying attention to someone tailgating you.  In heavy traffic, set at the least effective setting.  For ZS 'KERS' #1.

Driving mode for ZS, I didn't notice much difference at all, between eco/normal/sport.    Had to punch it the other day in eco, and it took off rather nicely.  Lots of torque if needing, and impressed me.  Actually first time I punched the accelerator.  With that, I simply leave it in 'eco' as more than enough torque if needing.

Really no need knocking around town, and only when merging onto hwy 4/Phetkasem, as needed for my daily run.  Having a long merge lane where I enter, rare that I need to punch it.  Just needed to merge across 3 lanes quick, to beat of wave of traffic coming and it performed nicely.

• Like 2

We have an electric car powered by my home solar system, but my gf still prefers the Honda click for trips to the local shops; food runs and family visits. I have been looking to replace it with an electric motorbike for sometime.

I have previously posted about https://decogreenenergy.com/index.php/en/ Deco bikes are assembled in Thailand and have an extensive dealer network. I am still waiting for Deco to announce that their bikes are eligible for the government EV subsidy. Two bikes I am considering are:

https://decogreenenergy.com/index.php/en/product-en/electric-motorcycles-en/superace

https://decogreenenergy.com/index.php/en/product-en/electric-motorcycles-en/doubleace

Due to the differences in voltage/amp hours I prefer to convert battery capacities to kWhs 

Both SuperAce and DoubleAce have 2kW electric motors

The SuperAce has a 2.2kWh battery and the DoubleAce has a 3kWh battery 

SuperAce.thumb.jpg.450188d991fab70dd967c5e42e29294c.jpgSuperAce2.thumb.jpg.8a5233dc89115725fa8f33a1a8266ece.jpgDoubleAce.thumb.jpg.caded102e6d55c88b18f98591995babe.jpgDoubleAce2.thumb.jpg.e784b502de1efe65609cb09152f65ab5.jpg

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 2022 THE NATION

SLEEK EV, a leading Thai-Singaporean electric motorcycle manufacturer, recently launched in Thailand 
The company aims to establish battery swapping stations nationwide

At the SLEEK launch event, the company also introduced the S Pods and the S Pods Home battery swapping stations. The network of stations will be available at gas stations, shopping malls, restaurants, and coffee shops, within 7-9km apart. SLEEK aims to roll out in Bangkok first, with a target of 225 locations by the end of 2023. Users can use SLEEK mobile application to get their vehicle information, and locate service centres and S Pods stations.

SLEEK EV also announced business partnerships with Bosch Thailand, who will support the SLEEK’s electric motorcycle development, and with Pro Concept Manufacturer (PCM) who will jointly establish a motorcycle assembly and battery manufacturing factory in Thailand.

SLEEK EV has also partnered with Bank of Ayudhya, which operates under the framework of Environmental, Social, and corporate Governance (ESG), to provide loans with exclusive interest rates to SLEEK customers.

SLEEK EV now has authorized distributors in 22 provinces and expects to have service centres and dealerships nationwide within the first quarter of 2023.

https://www.nationthailand.com/pr-news/more/pr-news/40020356

https://www.sleekev.com/

I spoke to a Sleek dealer yesterday and got sit on the bikes - they seem to be PCX sized and are of good quality. I liked the Bosch motors.

The type V has a 3kW electric motor. The  ฿97,000 Lite has one 4.2kWh battery The ฿129,000 version has 2 batteries.

I didn't see the GT version.

The hand written "sub" in the margin of ฿5,000 and  ฿10,000 I believe refers to the already included government subsidy.

The 1.19% interest rate is  very generous 

20221111_033426245_iOS.thumb.jpg.23c4f579396092cfd8d08f7a670b59be.jpg20221111_033438817_iOS.thumb.jpg.9dcc566d86e93f906a0b26dbf30b4ba5.jpg20221111_033444800_iOS.thumb.jpg.9da70e91436e000610424b53d253689e.jpg20221111_033346195_iOS.thumb.jpg.68b500d00aca9e9caa0e3a32f477684e.jpg20221111_033352608_iOS.thumb.jpg.71afeca4a032829aaaba8e15f8160dea.jpg20221111_033354554_iOS.thumb.jpg.907794a4f2bece2ff7a7b1d1eb85de3d.jpg20221111_033400312_iOS.thumb.jpg.dde8d6644ff4ea7f856cc5d86d10d7da.jpg20221112_030501815_iOS.thumb.jpg.df39b00061c5e7ca08b4a4da1caf0e65.jpg

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

GWM have a thing called “ one pedal “ mode, .... , many posters on FB struggling to adapt to this.

It is probably not the problem of GWM drivers to adapt to one pedal drive but the faulty implementation by GWM, at least in my Ora GoodCat Ultra 500. I have to switch it on not only when starting the car, but every time after adaptive cruise control has been activated. Further, it is not smooth enough for parking. In comparison, the one pedal drive in my Tesla M3 works perfectly.

On the other hand, phantom braking very rarely occurs, if any, with the Ora, but happens occasionally with the Tesla.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

GWM have a thing called “ one pedal “ mode, basically using the accelerator as normal and when released braking ( can set levels ) occurs automatically to help with regen, many posters on FB struggling to adapt to this.

I was reading one of the MG pages, and it described as the same, but 'one foot' driving  ???? instead of one pedal.  I kind of like it myself, though not a whole lot different than my normal driving, as I'll coast up to intersection; red lights or stop signs, and never was a heavy foot on my brakes.

Does take some getting use to, as I'd normally start coasting way before the regeneration kicks in now.  So need to not coast till closer to stopping as it slows down much faster than a rolling stop in an ICE.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I was reading one of the MG pages, and it described as the same, but 'one foot' driving  ???? instead of one pedal.  I kind of like it myself, though not a whole lot different than my normal driving, as I'll coast up to intersection; red lights or stop signs, and never was a heavy foot on my brakes.

Does take some getting use to, as I'd normally start coasting way before the regeneration kicks in now.  So need to not coast till closer to stopping as it slows down much faster than a rolling stop in an ICE.

Just to clarify:

The MG ZS EV does not have one pedal driving like some EVs have. The MG slows to 8kph and then you must press the brake pedal to come to a complete stop.

With one pedal driving, the car comes to a complete stop without the driver having to touch the brake pedal at all.

Edited by macahoom

3 hours ago, macahoom said:

Just to clarify:

The MG ZS EV does not have one pedal driving like some EVs have. The MG slows to 8kph and then you must press the brake pedal to come to a complete stop.

With one pedal driving, the car comes to a complete stop without the driver having to touch the brake pedal at all.

IF you are using cruise control ... it will stop without you touching the brakes.

• Thumbs Up 1