Electric Vehicles in Thailand

27 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

BYD Seal spotted at Rama 2 .

E4EFDBB5-DD3A-4999-B761-30BFFBBBF496.jpeg.8b2f07409035fa615f85917c90a84490.jpeg

E415780F-1D97-4EE0-94CA-755D7EA591F5.thumb.jpeg.dbbbdd47dc29651ee94c63a368664142.jpeg

Available in other colours ????

Hope it's available rather soon here before I place my order for MG 4. Looking forward to Motorshow end of March for some updates.

• Love It 2

1 hour ago, henry2109 said:

Does anybody have some information about Zeekr 001 in Thailand? Like where and when it is available, price in Baht etc.

No RHD version yet, so not anytime soon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I am hoping to see the BYD Han Performance and/or ORA Lightning Cat Performance (aka ORA Grand Cat Performance) in Thailand this year.

We are in the middle of an EV revolution here.

We will have to wait and see Personally I think the ev sales will be less than last December as for most people the main issue is cost of battery repair and low capital values on EV especially if your battery needs replacing due to accident within a few weeks of ownership and Insurance company decides to write off vehicle as repair cost exceeds 70% of current value

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

We will have to wait and see Personally I think the ev sales will be less than last December as for most people the main issue is cost of battery repair and low capital values on EV especially if your battery needs replacing due to accident within a few weeks of ownership and Insurance company decides to write off vehicle as repair cost exceeds 70% of current value

I have just spent a week or so in Chiang Mai, I was astounded at the number of EV's on the road, I think you're going to be very wrong on the sales volumes this year.  I just hope the charging infrastructure can keep up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I have just spent a week or so in Chiang Mai, I was astounded at the number of EV's on the road, I think you're going to be very wrong on the sales volumes this year.  I just hope the charging infrastructure can keep up.

As I said we will have to wait any see the Byd atto3 repair costs reach the main news media outlets and they were shocked that a repair bill could exceed the price of a new car and that the replacement battery cost alone was the equivalent price of a Brand new top of the range Nissan Almera

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

As I said we will have to wait any see the Byd atto3 repair costs reach the main news media outlets and they were shocked that a repair bill could exceed the price of a new car and that the replacement battery cost alone was the equivalent price of a Brand new top of the range Nissan Almera

There is an eight year warranty on the battery so hardly any issue (except a crash). Do some research before you post something to discredit EVs

4 minutes ago, CLW said:

There is an eight year warranty on the battery so hardly any issue (except a crash). Do some research before you post something to discredit EVs

Keeps repeating that speal.   Guess he didn't notice the FL, USA crash in the news, where a Tesla was hit so hard it split in half, and the battery bank wasn't compromised.

As I stated already, if hit hard enough to compromise the battery bank, then there's already probably enough damage, (bent frame), for total write off.

53 minutes ago, CLW said:

I have already done my research thanks and if you do the same you will see loads of people have similar concerns

54 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I have already done my research thanks and if you do the same you will see loads of people have similar concerns

According to a  Bangkok Post article dated oct 17, 2565 BYD offers an 8 year/160000 kilometer warranty on the battery. Does your research contradict that?

33 minutes ago, placeholder said:

According to a  Bangkok Post article dated oct 17, 2565 BYD offers an 8 year/160000 kilometer warranty on the battery. Does your research contradict that?

My post was related to BYD cost of repairing a car that was involved in an accident I have yet to see any warranty papework that states the warranty includes replacement if vehicle is subject to an accident.

Does the article mention that if removal and replacement of the entire battery unit from a Byd Atto3  cost more than the total price of a Top of the range Nissan almera and cash back in your pocket

Edited by vinny41
add

My post was related to BYD cost of repairing a car that was involved in an accident I have yet to see any warranty papework that states the warranty includes replacement if vehicle is subject to an accident.

Does the article mention that if removal and replacement of the entire battery unit from a Byd Atto3  cost more than the total price of a Top of the range Nissan almera and cash back in your pocket

It has nothing to do with battery or being an EV or ICE car. It's simply the assessed damage by the insurance company after a crash plus the write off or current value of your car and possible salvage value.

Example: you have an expensive S-Class, that is damaged at the rear by tailgating of a truck or heavy vehicle. The frame structure is bent and beyond repair. Yet the engine is fully functional.

It's certainly not covered by the Mercedes warranty, too. But you won't have financial disadvantages with first class insurance. 

Would you then also say the S-Class is a bad car or blame the insurance company for being unfair?

You're mixing up warranty with responsibility of the insurance. It's up to their costing department to set the premium at a certain value that they can replace a battery for an EV. Same as the repair of an engine from ICE car in case of crash. 

2 minutes ago, CLW said:

It has nothing to do with battery or being an EV or ICE car. It's simply the assessed damage by the insurance company after a crash plus the write off or current value of your car and possible salvage value.

Example: you have an expensive S-Class, that is damaged at the rear by tailgating of a truck or heavy vehicle. The frame structure is bent and beyond repair. Yet the engine is fully functional.

It's certainly not covered by the Mercedes warranty, too. But you won't have financial disadvantages with first class insurance. 

Would you then also say the S-Class is a bad car or blame the insurance company for being unfair?

The Inital repair cost for the Byd atto 3 was quoted at B1.2 Million including B900,000 for removing and replacing new battery

Here he is being given a repair estimate of B1.2 million 

now a new standard model cost B1.1 milllion baht more than the cost of a new car

which means the battery cost in relation to the whole vehicle is 81% which is unique situation compared to ICE vehicles where no single component part ever exceeds the cost ration of the vehicle by between 30-35%

For the owner of the car the problem is also compounded that the capital maximum value of the vehicle was set to B1 million which means the breakpoint at which they scrap of 70% or in the case of a vehicle that has a capital value of B1 million B700,000 which is short of the original cost by B500,000

Personally I think what needs to happe with EV's they need to be insurance under

a master policy that covers the EV with execption of the Battery and and the secondary policy covers the battery only

And as to Capital value reductions that should happen to the main policy only the secondary policy that covers the battery its capital value should only be reduced if there is a major reduction in the price of batteries

1 hour ago, CLW said:

You're mixing up warranty with responsibility of the insurance. It's up to their costing department to set the premium at a certain value that they can replace a battery for an EV. Same as the repair of an engine from ICE car in case of crash. 

I am not mixing up warranty as I my original post never mention warranty as it not relevant in a car that requires repairing due to accident damage

If I remember correctly is was yourself that introduced the term 8 year warranty which as i stated not relevant with a vehicle that requires repairing due to accident damage

Edited by vinny41
typo

9 hours ago, vinny41 said:

I am not mixing up warranty as I my original post never mention warranty as it not relevant in a car that requires repairing due to accident damage

If I remember correctly is was yourself that introduced the term 8 year warranty which as i stated not relevant with a vehicle that requires repairing due to accident damage

All irrelevant, as if the insurance company deems the car a write off or repairable doesn't matter.  The 'max' coverage is just that.   As long as they pay the covered amount, as with any insurance policy.  

ICE or EV ... all the same.   What are you really trying to state ?

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, vinny41 said:

If it was it self-driving? If so, the warranty should cover it.

10 hours ago, vinny41 said:

The Inital repair cost for the Byd atto 3 was quoted at B1.2 Million including B900,000 for removing and replacing new battery

Here he is being given a repair estimate of B1.2 million 

now a new standard model cost B1.1 milllion baht more than the cost of a new car

which means the battery cost in relation to the whole vehicle is 81% which is unique situation compared to ICE vehicles where no single component part ever exceeds the cost ration of the vehicle by between 30-35%

For the owner of the car the problem is also compounded that the capital maximum value of the vehicle was set to B1 million which means the breakpoint at which they scrap of 70% or in the case of a vehicle that has a capital value of B1 million B700,000 which is short of the original cost by B500,000

Personally I think what needs to happe with EV's they need to be insurance under

a master policy that covers the EV with execption of the Battery and and the secondary policy covers the battery only

And as to Capital value reductions that should happen to the main policy only the secondary policy that covers the battery its capital value should only be reduced if there is a major reduction in the price of batteries

You're trolling. No one's forcing you to buy an EV. Have a good day and leave this thread alone 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

16 hours ago, CLW said:

No, there is an 8 year warranty OR a quoted mileage.............????

4 hours ago, CLW said:

You're trolling. No one's forcing you to buy an EV. Have a good day and leave this thread alone 

Standard response when people are face with diffcult or akward scenarios that they don't want to answer

I have made many posts on this thread and  the majority  have received postive feedback

No-one is forcing you to read and reply to my posts there is an ignore button if you want to ignore my posts

Edited by vinny41
add

18 hours ago, vinny41 said:

You seem to have missed (or are deliberately ignoring) the post where the owner of the vehicle in question clarifies that the battery was not damaged, didn't need replacing and the replacement cost he had been quoted was wrong anyway.

• Love It 1

26 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

You seem to have missed (or are deliberately ignoring) the post where the owner of the vehicle in question clarifies that the battery was not damaged, didn't need replacing and the replacement cost he had been quoted was wrong anyway.

Found a recent link

https://www.prachachat.net/general/news-1223950https://www.prachachat.net/general/news-1223950

Edited by vinny41
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2023 at 4:55 PM, JBChiangRai said:

I am hoping to see the BYD Han Performance and/or ORA Lightning Cat Performance (aka ORA Grand Cat Performance) in Thailand this year.

We are in the middle of an EV revolution here.

With the BYD Han being offered in Europe for 72.000 Euro (~2,6 million THB) I can't see this car being successful in Thailand. You could easily buy a Tesla, BMW EV or one of the upcoming Honda or Nissan EV SUVs