Electric Vehicles in Thailand

49 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The MG ES , the confusing new name for the updated EP ( also known as EP Minorchange ) is set to be open for reservations on March 13th.

Prices estimated at around the 900k mark.

BC562B33-25E6-4680-A249-385D7429690B.jpeg.6bcbd6f9f900d9a9439bd06851cafd9f.jpeg

https://autolifethailand.tv/mg-es-ep-minorchange-ev-bev-coming-booking-thailand/

Spec'd about the same as 2022.  Not sure about any added tech. hmm...

2 hours ago, CLW said:

With the BYD Han being offered in Europe for 72.000 Euro (~2,6 million THB) I can't see this car being successful in Thailand. You could easily buy a Tesla, BMW EV or one of the upcoming Honda or Nissan EV SUVs

I would prefer the BYD Han Performance to all of those cars, likewise the ORA Lightning Cat Performance if the suspension isn't too soft.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Spec'd about the same as 2022.  Not sure about any added tech. hmm...

Apart from the new exterior and LED lights front and back there are:

New alloys

Privacy glass on the rear windows 

New info screen 

Floating centre console with new function buttons.

Seats have different materials as does the steering wheel.

Now has the iSMART app connection ( as poor as it is !).

Not so many changes on the inside but enough to give a different car feel.

Price point seems in line with the MG4 , lacking the shortcut buttons on the steering wheel of the MG4 but does have a rear armrest, with the all important cup holders ????, and lights for the rear passengers ( an issue for parents struggling with car seats ) both lacking on the MG4.

So, another option for MG EV drivers, can now choose between the sportier MG4 or the flexible ES ( EP Minorchange ) , the bigger boot being the deal breaker i would say, 353 ltrs v 479 ltrs.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Apart from the new exterior and LED lights front and back there are:

New alloys

Privacy glass on the rear windows 

New info screen 

Floating centre console with new function buttons.

Seats have different materials as does the steering wheel.

Now has the iSMART app connection ( as poor as it is !).

Not so many changes on the inside but enough to give a different car feel.

Price point seems in line with the MG4 , lacking the shortcut buttons on the steering wheel of the MG4 but does have a rear armrest, with the all important cup holders ????, and lights for the rear passengers ( an issue for parents struggling with car seats ) both lacking on the MG4.

So, another option for MG EV drivers, can now choose between the sportier MG4 or the flexible ES ( EP Minorchange ) , the bigger boot being the deal breaker i would say, 353 ltrs v 479 ltrs.

You forgot that the EP is based on an ICE platform while the MG4 has been completely new developed on a dedicated BEV platform. 

MG 4 has rear wheel drive, a floor battery and 50:50 weight distribution. 

6 hours ago, CLW said:

You forgot that the EP is based on an ICE platform while the MG4 has been completely new developed on a dedicated BEV platform. 

MG 4 has rear wheel drive, a floor battery and 50:50 weight distribution. 

Yes, the ES , like the ZS EV , is as far as the older platform can be pushed imho but still a great bargain for a small suv or estate EV.

The MG4 is another level and the driving experience sets it apart.

I suspect MG will already be planning to extend the new platform  to replace the ZS and ES in the near future.

Amazing when you think of the short  lifetime in Thailand how the MG cars have evolved so quickly as the technology advances.

In general I would say MG have been spot on with their choices with the exception of the VS and possibly the short lived GS.

• Thumbs Up 1

BYD still getting some pressure about the lack of clarification over the battery replacement valuation.

While the insurance estimate was all a big “ misunderstanding “ they are being probed about the 1 million baht valuation of a 1,099,90 baht car when an additional 150k has been absorbed by the government.

@KhunLA has frequently stated his valuation exceeded his purchase price of his MG ZS EV and Neta V also giving a positive insurance valuation. 610k on a 549k purchase.

D31EDC5D-1F11-465C-BAA7-C81B0836F710.jpeg.0bd006a6bd795f31454fadf0cb34cda9.jpeg

BYD need to reassess their valuations in light of the rust and “ batterygate “ affair if they wish to continue topping the EV sales chart.

Note: it’s still my favourite and top of my list despite these little bumps in the road ????

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

I keep asking myself the question, is the MG4 worth 25% more over the EP+ at 771k baht?  It's not that that the MG4 is overpriced, it's that the EP+ is the bargain of the century, hence the 5 month waiting lists.

Asked myself the same, with the ZS (949K) vs EP (771K), as spec'd the same.

... Wife liked the higher seating position

Is the wife's smile worth 180k ... ????

Happy wife = Happy life ????

17 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

BYD still getting some pressure about the lack of clarification over the battery replacement valuation.

Note: it’s still my favourite and top of my list despite these little bumps in the road ????

I don't see the BYD as being worth 42% more than an EP+

They insured my MG4 for 1,000 baht more than I paid for it, 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, sputnik22k said:

Seems Peugeot is going to launch the e-2008 (BEV) along with the 408 (PHEV) at the motor show here at the end of the month....

328427252_582353573952783_5418487750045712193_n.jpg

Nice to see. But at what price? 2 million baht

4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

We have both EP+ and MG4, they are both fantastic cars with the same motor and battery.  The MG4 is more sporty and handles superbly, the EP+ is a little more boat like and can spin the front wheels at 40km/hr.  The MG4 can get a squeal out the rear wheels occasionally under heavy acceleration at the same speed.  

My daughter prefers her EP+, I think I prefer the MG4 but it's a close thing.  They both feel a lot quicker than the performance figures suggest and dispatch overtaking easily on busy roads.

The MG4 has a load of tech, I don't like that I have to turn off the Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) every time I start the car for anything other than town driving and it takes 4 touches/swipes to do that and though I initially hated the default regeneration mode set to maximum, I have trained myself to prefer it, it's practically one pedal driving. I understand why LKA defaults to on, it's mandatory in the EU.  The MG4 will probably have self-driving capability at some point, it recognises motorbikes, cars and trucks in front/side and shows them moving in real-time on the display & one of the cruise control modes is adaptive with lane keeping so you can see where the software is heading.

I don't like the cruise control, it slows down for even gentle bends, but overall, it's a superb car and I find myself choosing it over my other EV when I go out.

I keep asking myself the question, is the MG4 worth 25% more over the EP+ at 771k baht?  It's not that that the MG4 is overpriced, it's that the EP+ is the bargain of the century, hence the 5 month waiting lists.

Almost every review about the MG4 has been complaining about the LKA and cruise control issues. Therefore if MG really listen to customer they should fix this in a software update.

As you said, the car has the capability for it.

35 minutes ago, CLW said:

Almost every review about the MG4 has been complaining about the LKA and cruise control issues. Therefore if MG really listen to customer they should fix this in a software update.

As you said, the car has the capability for it.

LKA is useless here, as road painting is so inconsistent.  I disabled it.

Cruise control, that took some getting use to, and I love it now.  Loving the one foot driving also, w/max KERS setting (#3).

ZS has advised me of an update, the past few weeks, and I've put it off.  Let them work the kinks out before I install.   If the LKA needs to be reset with every start, if updated, I'll give that update a pass.   Need to research and see what exactly the update includes.

ZS in cruise control with LKA on is almost self driving, but doubt if I'd ever trust a car to do that.  Any car, anywhere.

One annoyance of the ZS ICE, as the radio came on almost every start and had to turn off, or volume down.  Finally fixed w/update.

Not a fan of electronic options, as stated, they seem to get most of the complaints, with every manufacturer,   For us, less is better, since we don't use what's available now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I don't see the BYD as being worth 42% more than an EP+

They insured my MG4 for 1,000 baht more than I paid for it, 

Well the EP+ was, as you say, the bargain of the the century, those who got one before the reservations were cancelled can count themselves very fortunate.

I think the “ worth “ of a car depends on how much you want/like it and how much you are willing to pay, the sheer number of Atto 3 being sold means there’s plenty who think it worth it .

Likewise i think the MG4 is worth its price tag and will be a good seller.

This new ES is still worth the money, imho, despite the proposed 150k increase for the update but i don’t think it will hit the figures they are hoping, the actual boot space being only 9 ltrs bigger than the ZS EV ( 479 v 470 ltrs ) is disappointing.

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Cruise control, that took some getting use to, and I love it now.  Loving the one foot driving also, w/max KERS setting (#3).

ZS has advised me of an update, the past few weeks, and I've put it off.  Let them work the kinks out before I install.   If the LKA needs to be reset with every start, if updated, I'll give that update a pass.   Need to research and see what exactly the update includes.

ZS in cruise control with LKA on is almost self driving, but doubt if I'd ever trust a car to do that.  Any car, anywhere.

One annoyance of the ZS ICE, as the radio came on almost every start and had to turn off, or volume down.  Finally fixed w/update.

Not a fan of electronic options, as stated, they seem to get most of the complaints, with every manufacturer,   For us, less is better, since we don't use what's available now.

I am a total cruise control addict, but I cant use it most of the time with the  MG HS PHEV because it uses an idiotic design shortcut. On my Mercedes, the brakes are integrated into energy recuperation, the MG has skipped that essential function. (as does Tesla, btw)

What do I mean by this? The MG has ACC (adaptive cruise control) and will slow down or speed up based on surrounding traffic. The main flaw is, it will only slow down by applying the brakes, not by blending recuperation with braking to achieve the desired deceleration. That means, when using ACC there is no hybrid functionality, which completely negates driving a hybrid. It also completely insults my sense of my engineering background, hence my wife can drive with much less stress not knowing what is happening under the skin of the vehicle.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yep, I think that's the main issue here in Thailand.

Doesn't matter if you use LKA from Mercedes or Tesla or in this case "just" from MG

1 minute ago, CLW said:

Yep, I think that's the main issue here in Thailand.

Doesn't matter if you use LKA from Mercedes or Tesla or in this case "just" from MG

Atto 3 main complaints are LKA and AEB ( autonomous emergency braking ) slamming all on for seemingly non emergency events, a big problem here when the guy behind doesn’t know the meaning of a safe stopping distance .

29 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Atto 3 main complaints are LKA and AEB ( autonomous emergency braking ) slamming all on for seemingly non emergency events, a big problem here when the guy behind doesn’t know the meaning of a safe stopping distance .

How is the law here in Thailand, if someone not keeping safe distance and crashes into your back? Doesn't matter if it was AEB from your car or you just stepped manually on the brake pedal...

28 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

As I stated, it takes some getting use to.  I keep my toe near the accelerator and if see something that will be entering the 'sensor zone' just give the pedal a push a + 1 or 2 kph.   Comes in handle when a few in the right hand lane, may block me from passing a slower vehicle a ways in front of me, before the 'safe space' kicks in.

With the instant torque, so easy to blend in between them when needed.  All makes for a much smother ride.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CLW said:

How is the law here in Thailand, if someone not keeping safe distance and crashes into your back? Doesn't matter if it was AEB from your car or you just stepped manually on the brake pedal...

In any event you're on the side of the road....

22 minutes ago, CLW said:

I would hope common sense would prevail and if someone rear ends you they are in the wrong but I hope I never find out.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Atto 3 main complaints are LKA and AEB ( autonomous emergency braking ) slamming all on for seemingly non emergency events,

AEB and PCW (Predictive Collision Warning) are a pain in the Atto. They can be disabled, but only for each 'ignition cycle'. The Collision Warning is particularly tedious in Bangkok traffic because it often reacts to motorcycles cutting in front of you - it makes an alarming beeping noise which is quite, well, alarming if you don't know what is causing it. The LKA I detest in any car; it can be turned off in the Atto, but also only per ignition cycle. 

56 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

But, BYD didn’t come out unscathed, the insurance cover was only 1 million baht on a 1.1 million baht car with 150k on top absorbed by the government incentive.

Most other EV’s sold in Thailand are giving an insurance valuation of more than the purchased price ( due to the government incentive).

If folk buying the standard range Atto at 1.1 million are getting 1 million cover, they're doing better than those who bought the extended range for 1.2 million, which also gets 1 million cover ...

3 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

If folk buying the standard range Atto at 1.1 million are getting 1 million cover, they're doing better than those who bought the extended range for 1.2 million, which also gets 1 million cover ...

Yes, I saw that also, something definitely amiss in the valuation department .

1 hour ago, mistral53 said:

The MG has ACC (adaptive cruise control) and will slow down or speed up based on surrounding traffic. The main flaw is, it will only slow down by applying the brakes, not by blending recuperation with braking to achieve the desired deceleration

On my MG4 with regeneration set to the maximum the cruise control decelerates using regen and not the brakes.

You can see the power meter go negative. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

All a big misunderstanding ???? 

The 896,000 baht quote for replacing the battery was done in error and BYD quickly released the official battery figures.

9DE536AC-2462-4C1B-A386-BA55A2D853A6.jpeg.db8143b3ad80633262f4194355091ac4.jpeg

The battery ( standard range ) didn’t need changing in the end and a new insurance quote created.

But, BYD didn’t come out unscathed, the insurance cover was only 1 million baht on a 1.1 million baht car with 150k on top absorbed by the government incentive.

Most other EV’s sold in Thailand are giving an insurance valuation of more than the purchased price ( due to the government incentive).

If the standard battery is LiFePo4 and the extended battery is NMC, you definitely don’t want the NMC battery in this climate.  Even in a cooler climate NMC is a lot fussier with half the charge/discharge cycles of LiFePo4. Add in the hot climate and it’s likely to be considerably worse.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

On my MG4 with regeneration set to the maximum the cruise control decelerates using regen and not the brakes.

You can see the power meter go negative. 

Same with ZS.