Open season on foreign driver reigns

tomyami

A friend of mine going south on sukhumvit mid lane was struck from behind at the exhaust of his aerox at about 60kph

Was sent flying his bike going 1 way him scumming to road burn but lucky to be alive.

Police & ins guy arrive thai driver says my friend moved lane he denied so they demand 11k for damage to car

He ended up paying 5k and a painful visit to a clinic.

this is the high end of dangerous driving and getting rewarded is unforgivable imo.

Hence the heading, always keep an eye of my rear when on that road weary of what happen to him

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Sounds like when I was in Saudi. I was shopping in a mall when a local rammed into the back of my parked car. I turned up about 30 minutes later and then spent 6 hours in the police station with threats of being jailed until finally the local admitted it was his fault and they let me go lol

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Not easy to put a camera on a bike

Actually it is easy, especially on an Aerox, they have a auxiliary power port near the handlebars, all that's needed is a USB adapter (small change at any Mr DIY shop) a dash cam with cord and a micro SD memory card and a mount.

I have an Aerox and all the items mentioned above, just need the motivation to mount it, maybe this is it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomyami said:

A friend of mine going south on sukhumvit mid lane was struck from behind at the exhaust of his aerox at about 60kph

I'd suggest he visit the nearby businesses and look/ask if they have cameras.  Someone on Sukhumivt should have a camera.

I had an expat friend involved in his car causing a motorbike to crash, I was in the passenger seat and didn't see what events led up to the crash.  My friend said the driver popped out of nowhere, the motorbike said she was driving in a straight line, classic case of he said/she said.  The lady was taken away by ambulance and we were told to meet at the local police station a week later, the cops went around to local businesses and found a shop with a CCTV camera showing my friend was in the wrong, it was an open & shut case.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bbko said:

I'd suggest he visit the nearby businesses and look/ask if they have cameras.  Someone on Sukhumivt should have a camera.

I had an expat friend involved in his car causing a motorbike to crash, I was in the passenger seat and didn't see what events led up to the crash.  My friend said the driver popped out of nowhere, the motorbike said she was driving in a straight line, classic case of he said/she said.  The lady was taken away by ambulance and we were told to meet at the local police station a week later, the cops went around to local businesses and found a shop with a CCTV camera showing my friend was in the wrong, it was an open & shut case.

depending on how much the guy can be bothered, this is a good call.

Almost bit the dust yesterday a Grab food guy head down on his motorbike looking at his phone on a Soi just off Sukhumvit going about 80, on the wrong side of the road right at me.  I barely steered away avoiding a head on collision in fact his right mirror hit my bike and he kept going.

Everyday it seems if out for an hour or so there is some close call.  

Your friend is lucky.  He can try some of the suggestions but maybe just move on and be thankful it was not much worse.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Your friend is lucky.  He can try some of the suggestions but maybe just move on and be thankful it was not much worse.

Yeah not sure what the big deal is, just a 5K in damages and visit to a clinic, that is called having good luck. Could have happened anywhere.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Almost bit the dust yesterday a Grab food guy head down on his motorbike looking at his phone on a Soi just off Sukhumvit going about 80, on the wrong side of the road right at me.  I barely steered away avoiding a head on collision in fact his right mirror hit my bike and he kept going.

Everyday it seems if out for an hour or so there is some close call.  

this is a serious question, not having a go... so why do you keep on heading out if that's what you have to face everyday? 

ps. I don't ride a motorcycle, not skilled enough, but I do take the occasional mototaxi here in Bangkok so I'm not totally risk-averse.

2 hours ago, tomyami said:

ur moving 60kph some1 rear end u its a ramming simple, he was not parked on the center lane 

Think some on here have been to long. in the real world this would be seen as a deliberate act,

Thailand's lawless driving culture 

but that's how it works here bro, adapt or (nearly) die ????

2 hours ago, Screaming said:

I do not understand why foreigners ride very dangerous motorbikes in Thailand. You are taking your own life in your hands when you get on one of those bikes. Not to mention the heat and pollution you are subject to on the road.

Danger.jpg

I'm guessing it's the same reason they install noisy exhaust pipes that sound like one big long fart ????

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Not easy to put a camera on a bike, but when on the car, the perpetrator is immediately busted. No excuses, no weak, anemic, juveline lies. Just bald faced guilt. Gotcha! Even the pathetic cops cannot drop the ball, at that point. 

There are cameras designed specifically for a motorcycle. 

I had an Innov K2 on my bike (now there is the Innov K3) - its fixed, Forward and rear facing. Connected directly to the ignition, so there is no need to worry about battery etc. 

The issue of course is that its not cheap and probably difficult to get hold of in Thailand (I purchased mine in the UK). 

https://www.innovv.com/innovv-k2

I live between Chiang Rai and Maesai and I love riding the Forza up here .

In the 60s I rode around on my Norton and I don't remember the cold but it there must have been more cold and wet day then fine warm days.   I even belonged to the 59 club and to get there I went round Marble Arch , Hyde Park corner etc. I have even said to one or two in England " At 70 + years old would I still enjoy motorcycling in England "  Very unlikely .

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not sure what the big deal is....  Have you ever had to pay 5000 baht for something that wasn’t your fault ????.....     then add to that injury and that you’ll have to fix your own bike.  

Yes i had multiple times, that is life being in developing and corrupt countries. I call them local taxes and don't think twice about it, still way cheaper than living back home.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Screaming said:

I do not understand why foreigners ride very dangerous motorbikes in Thailand. You are taking your own life in your hands when you get on one of those bikes. Not to mention the heat and pollution you are subject to on the road.

Danger.jpg

Maybe a 1 hour car trip can be accomplished in 15 minutes on a motorbike.  Also much more enjoyable unless pumping the brakes gets you off.

• Like 2

I think this is a troll post.

Why did his friend not just tell the police to negotiate with "HIS" insurance guy.  

End of story.

Or was the friend uninsured and riding on Bangkok roads?  If that was the case he deserved everything he got.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Makes me wonder how I have survived here for twelve years.

Can't say I have ever courted AIDS or bad water, the rest is part of life.

Do you leave your condo or house at all?

Well Im out everyday and  almost everyday I record  stuff  like this...... this from a  few  days  ago, its   got to the point where Im almost oblivious and something Id  never  see in my home country ever.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

From a guy who calls himself... 'I am falang’.... spelt with a L implying who he’s been hanging around with !!!  someone who considers AIDs a risk !!!  and seems to go by the mantra ‘its always the foreigners fault’.... 

Motorbikes are fine... well, they are not fine, they are of course risky - but the risk is not as severe as many who don’t ride often imply. 

I know loads of guys who ride around Bangkok (and Thailand), I can only think of two of them who have had serious accidents....  Both of them were drunk... That is just stupid. 

My Golden Rules: 

1) Never ride while drunk.

2) Don’t ride at night

3) Don’t ride in the rain (where possible) 

4) Ride at the same speed as the other traffic, but don’t speed.

5) Ride very defensively

6) At the very least (nipping to the shop) wear gloves, good helmet, proper shoes.

7) Longer rides AGATT (full face helmet).

One of  the  biggest  risks  is  DOGS and the state  of  the roads  once  you  are  away from trunk  routes

• Like 2