Truck Operators Want Diesel Price Capped at Bt30/Liter

webfact

screenshot_17601.jpg

BANGKOK (TNA) – Representatives of the Land Transport Federation of Thailand will show up at Government House on April 27 to ask the government to continuously cap the diesel price at 30 baht per liter as the government plans to stop the price limitation on. May 1.

Apichart Prairungruang, chairman of the federation, said its representatives would send the written request to the prime minister because without the longer limited diesel price, people would suffer from higher prices. The prices of goods were already high and if the government stopped capping the diesel price at 30 baht per liter, truck operators would raise their freight charges by 20% right away, he said.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

He demanded the replacement of the energy minister and said there were solutions for the government to cut the diesel price by 5-6 baht per liter.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-930930

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2022-04-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Representatives of the Land Transport Federation of Thailand will show up at Government House on April 27 to ask the government to continuously cap the diesel price at 30 baht per liter as the government plans to stop the price limitation on. May 1.

Here we go again.

Isaan has one of the world’s highest per capita small pickup truck ownership rates. And almost all of them run on diesel..  if they stick price increases on the big trucks—the little guys get hurt.  And that would include me, with my Ranger—used for farm and beach trips.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

The Oil Fund subsidy for diesel to maintain the retail price at 30 Baht per liter from Jan-April average 7.5 B Baht each month. Really a paltry amount

Agreed, but a subsidy is just one minor part of an overall energy plan. Without changes, subsidies are more dirt thrown into a bottomless pit.

"thai Planning"

Shortest book ever written? Actually it's a one-panel comic.

12 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Agreed, but a subsidy is just one minor part of an overall energy plan. Without changes, subsidies are more dirt thrown into a bottomless pit.

"thai Planning"

Shortest book ever written? Actually it's a one-panel comic.

Personally I dislike subsidy as it distort real market price. However in case of Thailand, I make this an exception due to the fact that the military government is exploiting their position to increase defense expenditures every year at the expense of the people. It's on them to lessen the hardship of the people. Previous Yingluck's government reduced the defense budget in contrast. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 9:55 AM, Isaan sailor said:

Isaan has one of the world’s highest per capita small pickup truck ownership rates. And almost all of them run on diesel..  if they stick price increases on the big trucks—the little guys get hurt.  And that would include me, with my Ranger—used for farm and beach trips.

I don't know if it's still the case but a few years back Thailand was the second largest market for pickup trucks after the US. Given the difference in population and the Thai population isn't that big it's some achievement.

There provably wouldn't be so many of the ban on people riding in the back was enforced although the country might collapse if that happened. 

On 4/27/2022 at 8:45 AM, RichardColeman said:

I'd call that operating profiteering. Fuel may go up, but none of your other operating overheads should rise so dramatically 

I can see the problem but surely they should charge more barred on how much whatever fuel they use costs. 20% seems a bit high since as you say fuel isn't their only cost.