Inflation indicator: Price of Mama noodles set to rise by as much as one baht a pack

webfact

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Today i see Makro McGarrett oats large up from 80 to 110, Frozen Blackberries in big C were 89 now a mixture 149

That's a whopping 38% and 68% higher! But funny, no headlines about these price increases in Thai media yet...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, jcmj said:

You can laugh now, but we’ll see how much you are laughing when all your favorites go up 15%. 

Camel blue. Bt60 a pack up to Bt72. Believe me I wasn't laughing. 20% rise. ps please non-smokers/anti smokers no just quit smoking rants please. The op is about price rises.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Folks may laugh but that’s a rise of over 15% if up to 7 baht. Along with everything else, quite worrying for those Thais with no job atm I would imagine. 

Wholesale price rises 0.1bt per pack - that's 1.67% increase. Retailers increase price by 16.67%.

And that's how inflation gets fired up....

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

A real tragedy for poor and consumers of the first and irreplaceable food in this country.

I guess this famous dish will be present in the forthcoming "Michelin guide" for the North East?

6pm.jpg.18420d444fc44fded279b5d372f809f8.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

That's a whopping 38% and 68% higher! But funny, no headlines about these price increases in Thai media yet...

4 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Funny how the price Rises of those two crucial Thai foods, blackberries and oatmeal  don't make the headlines. Go figure!

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Maybe I shouldn't jinx it but whole milk has been a stable ฿91.75 at chain supermarkets, 7/11's and Family Marts for YEARS.

What happened with milk was years ago, there was a worldwide shortage and prices shot up everywhere. But when the shortage was over, and prices elsewhere had declined sharply, for some odd reason, the prices in Thailand didn't. You would almost think that there was some kind of agreement among the competitors to keep prices artificially high.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

That's because Mama noodles are toThailand what the Big Mac index is to many other countries. IA price increase from 6 to 7 is 16%, and that's significant. The Mama index is,  allegedly, a reflection of the overall state of the economy. Not good at all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tarteso said:

A real tragedy for poor and consumers of the first and irreplaceable food in this country.

I agree.. it’s a sizable jump when expressed as a percentage, but relatively squeaking small in absolute terms… 

To me, it’s more to do with being a ‘signal’ that consumer inflation is now hitting even the most common items and one that’s bought by a very large percentage of the people.

• Like 1