Local tourists may help Thailand's tourism industry survive

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Although there is hope that by the relaxing of travel restrictions, international vacationer’s will return, it seems the hospitality industry may have to rely on Thais to fill their rooms for the next few months.

A no brainer.... 

• Like 1

Thai holidays between now and the end of August.

1st May Labour Day
2nd May Labour Day Holiday
4th May Coronation of King Vajiralongkorn
13 May Royal Ploughing Day
15 May Viskha Bucha Day
16th May Viskha Bucha Day holiday
3rd June Queen Suthida’s Birthday
13 July Asahna Bucha Day
14 July Khao Phansa Day
28 July King Vajiralongkorn’s birthday
12th August Her Majesty the Queen Mother’s birthday

I make that that Thais will not be working 15% (allowing for a current 6 days week) of the working time from 1st May to 12th August.  5 day working week, and Thais working days in the period drops by 18% at work - sheer lunacy.

They need to work after a pandemic shutdown, not be drowned in public holiday spending !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

They are delusional in my view, not many regular Thais have the kind of coin needed for a stay like this.  

You're not counting all the Gov workers that worked during the pandemic here.  Then add in the police and hiso Thai's and there's something ....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

2nd May Labour Day Holiday
4th May Coronation of King Vajiralongkorn
16th May Viskha Bucha Day holiday
3rd June Queen Suthida’s Birthday
13 July Asahna Bucha Day
28 July King Vajiralongkorn’s birthday
12th August Her Majesty the Queen Mother’s birthday

Here's what I am actually getting as public holiday in the private sector, being 7 of 11 from your list. As I understand, if a holiday falls on the weekend, it is not standard practice to give both days (weekend & following Monday) as public holidays to employees.

As a long-standing TV member, you will also be aware that annual leave entitlement is pretty low in Thailand, so I don't begrudge Thai workers their public holidays. although I do feel it is an insidious method from the "powers that be" to keep certain things at the forefront of Thai people's minds...

• Like 2

Just now, johncat1 said:

Thais have different preferences. Although many seem to think Pattaya is a magical place, most Thais prefer to visit temples. So the main people who will benifit will be the monks with their tourist orientated temples. Temples often have many money making activites to extract money from misguided Thais. Local tourism will never give Thais that lucrative income they are used to. Plus it is not so easy to overcharge or scam a Thai in their own country. Most are wise to the scams used on foregn tourists   

Really, can't say I have seen the traffic round the Wat much, not like when the Chinese were pouring in to walk about the place. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Thai people have neither the income nor the length of time off to save the tourist industry

Lets not forget rising food and fuel costs. I an seeing less and less cars on the road and people in shopping malls.

• Like 1