Bangkok governor candidate Sakoltee seeks to collect city tax from foreign tourists

webfact

But think about what he is saying to them.

More money for services (more services) but someone else will pay not the voters. If I were a voter I would be interested in his thesis. And, sadly, on a macro economic level the tourists will not even know the tax exists never mind be overtly bothered by it.

Will it reduce tourism? Not one iota. Will it bug long termers? Of course. 

Is it one more crappy thing from a crappy politician, probably yes. But he does not care he is playing the political game. Many politicians become rich off the back of lies, false promises and divisive statements. In ALL countries.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Once again, one does not need a brain to go in politics.

What does The Banana Republic of Thailand have to do with brains or politics? They are soldiers with the typical low Thai IQ

16 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Please start charging Bar Tax, Eating out tax, Mall stroll Tax, Road Tax and Screw You Tax....I can 100% tell you there will still be tourists who still wont mind.

As long as the women are there for the fat bellied brigade who can't score in their home country there will always be tourists. Oh! Wait! There's the Philippines and maybe Cambodia.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

What does The Banana Republic of Thailand have to do with brains or politics? They are soldiers with the typical low Thai IQ

I know many soldiers with a high IQ, but not in THailand ????

And by the way in my own country politicians are no better than those in Thailand.

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Disqualified. You don't know anything about VAT? Numskull. 

Maybe you should educate yourself a bit better. 

Vat is collected for the central government.

City tax is collected by the city.

Two totally different things. So its totall incorrect to compare the two.

11 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

I know many soldiers with a high IQ, but not in THailand ????

And by the way in my own country politicians are no better than those in Thailand.

it is very obvious that the soldiers in the Thai government do not have a high IQ. Nor are they actual politicians. In my country, the UK, the politicians have the brains to cover up their corruption where the soldiers haven't.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Disqualified. You don't know anything about VAT? Numskull. 

The yellow shirts PDRC, which this candidate is a proud member of, probably don't consider VAT taxes, as otherwise the lowly peasants would have been paying more than their fair share of taxes at 7-11s 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, digbeth said:

The yellow shirts PDRC, which this candidate is a proud member of, probably don't consider VAT taxes, as otherwise the lowly peasants would have been paying more than their fair share of taxes at 7-11s 

If he is a Yellow Shirt, that immediately makes it clear to me why he is targeting foreigners.

Ultranationalist, bordering on fascist, if not fully fledged fascist which a lot of them are, means foreigners are fair game.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 6:55 PM, bkk6060 said:

Dumb for folks to say this place does not seek or have modern infrastructure. Probably have never been here.

They have been expanding the BTS for years and continue to do so. MRT the same.  You cannot change Sukhumvit road so just avoid it.

The infrastructure in a major city like Bangkok is better them many western cities places like Los Angeles are a joke.

There is more to infrastructure than just public transportation networks.

You seem to be contradicting yourself, is Bangkok seeking modern infrastructure or does it already have it? For me, it is still very much a developing city with poor infrastructure, despite the malls, BTS and MRT. 

Note the electric, fiber optic and cable wires all above ground, weekly construction accidents involving fatalities, garbage lining the streets (check out the rats at night, you can see thousands of them just by having a walk around), lack of proper draining and sewerage systems (including lack of water treatment facilities) which is evidenced by regular flooding, lack of proper recycling facilities, lack of proper landfills and cracked and broken pavements, empty buildings due to the 1997 financial crisis, no professional ambulance or emergency response services, poor quality state hospitals, often dangerous air-quality, filthy klongs and their diesel boats etc.

I lived in Bangkok for 25 years, and I still have a house there, I absolutely love the place, warts and all, but let's not kid ourselves on its something it is not. 

If you think otherwise, perhaps a day away from your ivory tower in Sukhumvit to some more local areas might be an eye opener.