All you need to know about Thailand’s favorite sweet treat

snoop1130

626FEF4E-B445-40DB-823F-C0746C6D9F32.png

Thailand’s mango and sticky rice has been in the international spotlight ever since young Thai rapper Milli – Danupa Kanateerakul devoured the Thai dessert during her live performance at Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival 2022 early this month. The 19-year-old rapper has given such impetus to the dish that sales of this summer sweet have skyrocketed.

Global interest has prompted the Thai Restaurant Association to recommend that the government hold a mango and sticky rice festival to welcome returning tourists in May while the Cultural Promotion Department is planning to propose that mango sticky rice is “an intrinsic part of Thai culture”, to be included on the list of Thailand’s ‘UNESCO intangible cultural heritage’.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Now that everyone is familiar with the dessert, here are some tidbits about this dish that may interest its fans.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/all-you-need-to-know-about-thailands-favorite-sweet-treat/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-05-04

- Pacific Prime offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

is almost impossible to decide “the best” mango and sticky rice

Most of the time, you will find sticky rice served with Mamuang Namdokmai, which is a larger-sized mango. But in the old days, people tended to prefer Mamuang Ok-rong, which is now considered too small for its purpose. Apart from less meat, Ok-rong has a shorter shelf-life. However, it depends on the individual taste although Mamuang Namdokmai is more common and easy to find in the market and supermarkets.

I have always like Ok-Rong mangoes,but now becoming more hard to find ,most trees are left to they own devises,not farmed ,and are dying off ,unlike other mango verities.

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the Thai Restaurant Association to recommend that the government hold a mango and sticky rice festival to welcome returning tourists

Didn't they do this a few years ago to welcome Chinese tourists and end up throwing away a massive amount of food?

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s mango and sticky rice has been in the international spotlight ever since young Thai rapper Milli – Danupa Kanateerakul devoured the Thai dessert during her live performance at Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival 2022 early this month.

Gonna call that one mighty, great, overblown, hypered up porky !

• Like 2

I guess they forgot about durian with sticky rice...

I think if you set out a table with half the dishes with mango and half with durian the durian would be gone first.

Just now, rwill said:

I think if you set out a table with half the dishes with mango and half with durian the durian would be gone first.

I would go for it if it was soft and smelly.... but vanilla ice-cream is my choice of accompaniment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Global interest has prompted the Thai Restaurant Association to recommend that the government hold a mango and sticky rice festival to welcome returning tourists in May while the Cultural Promotion Department is planning to propose that mango sticky rice is “an intrinsic part of Thai culture”, to be included on the list of Thailand’s ‘UNESCO intangible cultural heritage’.

Jeez

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

Jeez

It seems like a good idea and a way of bumping up the price of the one remaining food item that is in abundance and quite cheap at the moment!

• Like 2

Love Thai kanom buran of all sorts  ... Khao lam (coconut sticky rice in bamboo stem) is delicious and such a great grab n go non-polluting sweet treat after the gym .... BOOM!!! Along with a delicious sugared gaffee buran almost instant energy booster when the muscles are pumped n quivering  .... ????

• Sad 1

On 5/5/2022 at 12:10 AM, kickstart said:
is almost impossible to decide “the best” mango and sticky rice

Most of the time, you will find sticky rice served with Mamuang Namdokmai, which is a larger-sized mango. But in the old days, people tended to prefer Mamuang Ok-rong, which is now considered too small for its purpose. Apart from less meat, Ok-rong has a shorter shelf-life. However, it depends on the individual taste although Mamuang Namdokmai is more common and easy to find in the market and supermarkets.

I have always like Ok-Rong mangoes,but now becoming more hard to find ,most trees are left to they own devises,not farmed ,and are dying off ,unlike other mango verities.

Ok-rong is my favourite. So juicy and delicious. A bit of trivia concerning ok-rong. It is called this because of a small line which runs down one edge of the fruit. This is meant to look like cleavage. Ok-rong being one way of saying cleavage in Thai. I believe Samut Sakhon and Nakhom Pathom are the main growing regions for this fruit.

4 hours ago, rwill said:

My favourite is jackfruit with the sticky rice stuffed into each little section.  Mmmm

"Thailand’s mango and sticky rice has been in the international spotlight ever since young Thai rapper Milli – Danupa Kanateerakul devoured the Thai dessert during her live performance at Coachella"

this is sheer delusion, and just projection of the obsession that grips thailand anytime a thai is mentioned for anything outside of thailand. In reality, the fact that such a trivial thing is so talked about in thailand shows how trivial thailand is on the world stage, beaches and hookers excluded, of course.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Ok-rong is my favourite. So juicy and delicious. A bit of trivia concerning ok-rong. It is called this because of a small line which runs down one edge of the fruit. This is meant to look like cleavage. Ok-rong being one way of saying cleavage in Thai. I believe Samut Sakhon and Nakhom Pathom are the main growing regions for this fruit.

I can vouch for that.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, poskat said:

"Thailand’s mango and sticky rice has been in the international spotlight ever since young Thai rapper Milli – Danupa Kanateerakul devoured the Thai dessert during her live performance at Coachella"

this is sheer delusion, and just projection of the obsession that grips thailand anytime a thai is mentioned for anything outside of thailand. In reality, the fact that such a trivial thing is so talked about in thailand shows how trivial thailand is on the world stage, beaches and hookers excluded, of course.

chillax bro, let them have their fun. God knows the place is miserable enough with all the dour Europeans running around town ????