The flick..."Don't Look UP": What I learned from this American apocalyptic black comedy film....

(And, why I have resultantly learned to love Thailand, even more, despite the bomb.)

My Dear Friends,

The only reason I watched this film, yesterday, was due to having watched a discussion on the Internet between Paul Ehrlich, his wife, and a few others, including Brian Toon, who is no science slouch, in his own right.  You member Paul, of course, the guy who wrote "The Population Bomb", in 1968.

So anyway, while listening to Brian Toon, Alan Robock, as well as Paul Ehrlich, speak about present-day Nuclear Threat, I began to feel even more lucky to be where I am, in Thailand, a place I love, a place where I would gladly see my last sunset.

You might know Brian Toon, a professor and researcher who has done a few Ted Talks trying to encourage the common man to wake up and see the reality of our predicament, including our Nuclear Doomsday predicament, our rapid Extinction-rate predicament, and our Global Warming predicament.

Well, my friends, I am not trying to be a doomsayer.  Instead, I am just suggesting that anyone who enjoys a bit of black comedy might wish to watch the film, "Don't Look Up".

I am fairly sure that most of us can see the writing on the wall.

In fact, this is the premise behind this film, ie, the powers that be, the people with the power who could actually make a change, were the very ones who delayed the solution in order to line their pockets, or just because they were to fat and lazy to overcome their inertia, and act.

Judging by past trends, over decades and centuries, and knowing human behavior as we do, we can predict with a high degree of certainty that the outcome, for us, in reality, will be the same outcome as is portrayed in this film, Don't Look Up.

And therefore, what does this realization mean for me?  And, what might it mean for you?

Here is what I think it might mean for us all.....

Thailand is a great place to spend the remaining good days of our lives; this final single decade before things get really hairy, in 2032.

I can say with utmost surety and sincerity that that there is no other place I would rather be, during these uncertain times, than Thailand.

I love living here, and I will also love dying here, if I must.

Cremation, by the way, might be free if we die by nuclear-bomb incineration.

Although, I doubt that this will happen.

More likely, we can be cremated for free if we make donations to the nearest temple, a thought which I find comforting.

This is not a joke topic, of course.

How could anyone joke about a topic as serious as this?

I am sure, by now, you are old enough to know that we humans are not logical creatures.

If this is so, then we can expect that we will not act logically.

And, if we do not act logically, during this point in our human history, 

Then, we can surely expect the end, not only of our species, but of many other species, as well.

I am not saying that I care about other species more than I care about the human species, just to be clear.

Although, I do love Abyssinian cats, very much.

The original point of this topic, which gives me much comfort is this:

When you got to go, you got to go.

And, if you got to go, then when you go, as for me, it would be best to go while I am still in Thailand, a land, a culture and a place I most love.

You know, I think that Jimmy Durante said it best when he sang:  "Did You Ever Have the Feeling"...

I go!

Regards,

Thinking of you,

Glob

Dear Friends,

Please allow me to speak more frankly concerning this topic, which I think is one so pertinent to today's commonly shared angst, even feelings of dread, might I say.  

As for me, living in Thailand provides me with huge amount of comfort during troubled times.  This must be the same for you.

========

One more thing, concerning this 2021 film I mentioned in my topic, as well as the view from the "pure science" side of the argument:

First, please listen to the science side from one of the foremost researchers at Boulder, Colorado.

Second, then please listen to the Hollywood side of the argument from DiCaprio, an actor who went down on the Titanic, and consequently knows a thing or two about existential outcomes.

OK...

First:

The above sounds logical.

Second:

Here, DiCaprio is saying basically the SAME THING as Professor Toon, except he is stating his case in a more emotionally filled way, simply because he is a better actor.

(Important Note:  I was unable to find the English version of the second video clip.  And so, in this case, just pay attention to DiCaprio's body language. Totally adequate to convey the message, in this case, I think.  Feel free to watch the English version of the movie, anytime.)

My Friends, 

Both Hollywood and Science are now onboard with the more reality-based narrative which actually does reflect our present predicament.

And, it will NOT be the common man who can solve this problem, most likely.

Instead, it will be those who are in power, those who have the levers to actually shift our present path towards a far better trajectory, one which just might carry us away from doom.

But, is it already too late?

I really do not know.

All that I know is that, at this point in time, DiCaprio's character now makes far more sense to me.

And so, this is why I feel lucky to be in Thailand, at this juncture in the evolution of humanity.

Regards,

Glob

Edited by GammaGlobulin

One more thing:

Let us always keep in mind that the seductiveness of Eros and Thanatos are equally enticing....

The final death of humanity is so horrific that its horrificness can actually seem sublimely beautiful, almost Heavenly, and many people today do yearn for the end of the world, even those drawn to mainstream religion, today, especially those who sing hymns.

We might choose to live, but...

On the other hand, we might choose to fly into the flame, and reach our final orgasm as we die and burn.

We see this theme repeated in the film, mentioned above, in several comical sequences.

The scientist, Joe DiMaggio, or was it Nasa's James Hansen, or was it DiCaprio, and not DiMaggio, who becomes seduced by the Marilyn Monroe figure, in the film, and was this character not based on someone like Megyn Kelly?

image.jpeg.7b8e0e4085163530d20b762ab96f0748.jpeg

You know as well as I that James Hansen, gods bless him, has always spoken very haltingly, and he would be the first to admit this.  Therefore, in my opinion, the principal scientist in this film must be drawn from the real life James Hansen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hansen

Normally, one might surmise, no one would spend much time watching or thinking about a Hollywood/Bollywood film, in this day and age, unless the film were not intended to be a total farce, and one with ambiguous meanings.

It is all about Eros and Thanatos, the meaning of the film, maybe.

And, the conclusion is that humankind will always choose Thanatos, just like lab rats, if given enough sugar water, to do so.

These days, there is much talk about addicts here, and addicts there.

However, in truth, there are addicts everywhere...EVERYWHERE.

And, our addiction will lead us where???

(Are we logical? Or, like addicts, are we in denial?)

image.jpeg.e5c51729071720e238f6afa3615f878d.jpeg

BREAKFAST

image.jpeg.0942a7224d603064f741b70b72f794a6.jpeg

LUNCH

image.jpeg.91c1c72e07feeb3572af2c4f3f5e9a0e.jpeg

DINNER

image.jpeg.82533c673ac138c25a9332bea5871157.jpeg

Evening Snack (宵夜)

============

What do you think would happen to your body, within a few months, if you were to eat nothing but these tasty desserts, for a few months, or a few years?

It might kill you.

And, you know that this is true.

Same goes for our planet.

Rampant consumption, with no heed for the results, will certainly destroy us.

We will never be able to escape from cause and effect.

Even Putin's friends will never escape from nuclear war, global warming, rapidly increased loss of biodiversity, no matter where these rats might hide.

Some guys buy super yachts.

Why?

Because, when the oceans die, yachting will no longer be so much fun.

image.jpeg.f29febebd0d72929a7ffab65aad126e3.jpeg

Live an learn.

Some guys, though, will never learn.

And, some guys, just do not care.

Well...

It ups to them, one supposes.

29 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Drinking again??  New post from GG and all comments to that post by - hey - GG!  

During the recent two or three decades, Natural Scientists mistakenly believed that, just by making known the facts, then...logically speaking...human behavior, around the globe, would change.  They thought that 1 plus 1 would equal 2, like on a blackboard/whiteboard.

And then, they gradually understood that, in human terms, in the real world, 1 plus 1 never equals 2.

So then, after a few years of useless pondering, they wondered if Social Scientists could step in to fill the gap of their Natural Science facts.

And, after a few years, it became apparent that even Social Scientists were not up to the challenge, the challenge of changing human behavior, just in order to save Humanity.

In fact, it was admitted, finally, that even Social Scientists could not prevent lemmings from jumping off cliffs.  Why?

Because they never did.  Lemmings are too smart to jump off cliffs.

image.jpeg.46ab5414ddbb4ee3ce8990d1730ab262.jpeg

Lemming behavior, just as human behavior, is complex.

Lemmings will not jump off a cliff.  However, humans will, and they often do.

Biology is not rational.

Some soldiers, for example, are willing to fall on their sword, even when not necessary, just to prove a point (ouch).

So far, there is no solution to our collective drive toward great wealth, and then, to our collapse and doom.

If only we could even things out, one might say.

But, as you know, in biological systems, nothing is ever stable.

Instead, it is always boom and bust, just the way it always has been.

Boom....and....Bust.

Still, there is no doubt that Michael Milken enjoys much fondness, among his many admirers, for his junk bond exploits.

Yet, maybe, ten years from now, when our plight becomes even more apparent than it is today, if that is even possible, then most of us will lose our taste for junk bond guys, and all the other guys, the guys who are, this day, leading our world astray.

There is no doubt that, ten years from today, most people on Earth, if there is still life on Earth at that time, will see things in a different way.

Wait and see.

Wait, if you have the patience to wait.

Sit back, and enjoy your limited time.

Yes, Friends...

Sit back, and enjoy... (Or, in the vernacular of Chinese culture: "lie flat".)

Please Note: When the recordings of Savoy Brown are lost, due to climate change, which they surely must be, this will truly be a great travesty...

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

One more thing:

Let us always keep in mind that the seductiveness of Eros and Thanatos are equally enticing....

The final death of humanity is so horrific that its horrificness can actually seem sublimely beautiful, almost Heavenly, and many people today do yearn for the end of the world, even those drawn to mainstream religion, today, especially those who sing hymns.

We might choose to live, but...

On the other hand, we might choose to fly into the flame, and reach our final orgasm as we die and burn.

We see this theme repeated in the film, mentioned above, in several comical sequences.

The scientist, Joe DiMaggio, or was it Nasa's James Hansen, or was it DiCaprio, and not DiMaggio, who becomes seduced by the Marilyn Monroe figure, in the film, and was this character not based on someone like Megyn Kelly?

image.jpeg.7b8e0e4085163530d20b762ab96f0748.jpeg

You know as well as I that James Hansen, gods bless him, has always spoken very haltingly, and he would be the first to admit this.  Therefore, in my opinion, the principal scientist in this film must be drawn from the real life James Hansen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hansen

Normally, one might surmise, no one would spend much time watching or thinking about a Hollywood/Bollywood film, in this day and age, unless the film were not intended to be a total farce, and one with ambiguous meanings.

It is all about Eros and Thanatos, the meaning of the film, maybe.

And, the conclusion is that humankind will always choose Thanatos, just like lab rats, if given enough sugar water, to do so.

These days, there is much talk about addicts here, and addicts there.

However, in truth, there are addicts everywhere...EVERYWHERE.

And, our addiction will lead us where???

(Are we logical? Or, like addicts, are we in denial?)

LOL. IMO she's as seductive as a bar of soap, but it takes more than blond hair to turn me on.

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Some guys buy super yachts.

Why?

Easy. They are the sort than needs to be revered because they can buy super yachts. No point in having billions if not surrounded by sycophants.

Where I live super yachts are in short supply, but plenty of those cars with huge grills that shout "look at me, I'm rich" in the rv mirror.

I'm quite enjoying the discomfort of Russian rich guys in the present political climate, but with any luck western one's comeuppance is also coming in a time when we poor guys are going to be getting shafted big time by inflation ( already started ).