Italian man, reportedly a popular local chef, dies after motorbike crash in Pattaya

webfact

Typical short ride today... a motorcycle speeding along and leaving Sukhumvit, onto the flyover and the motorway (prohibited traffic), 2 up, guy on back no helmet... I went down onto the Railway line bypass to meet another one coming at me on the wrong carriageway. Too many waiting to happen.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

RIP - but this accident apparently didn't have anything to do with "Thailand dangerous for motorbikes". Plus he didn't wear a helmet. There are ways of provoking death...

sad but he was asking for trouble ..speeding ..no helmet..RIP

• Thanks 1

RIP to the deceased
I'm looking at the photo and noticed a lot of AN sleuths have assumed he was speeding.
The photo was from a news report earlier to which someone posted a video of the actual crash (CCTV). Excessive speed wasn't to blame and there was no other vehicle involve or in fact NEAR the accident so that rule out the Thai bashers from blaming the roads or a conspiracy of other road users.
It actually looks like he may have fallen asleep

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lopchan said:

RIP to the deceased
I'm looking at the photo and noticed a lot of AN sleuths have assumed he was speeding.
The photo was from a news report earlier to which someone posted a video of the actual crash (CCTV). Excessive speed wasn't to blame and there was no other vehicle involve or in fact NEAR the accident so that rule out the Thai bashers from blaming the roads or a conspiracy of other road users.
It actually looks like he may have fallen asleep

The deceased is Italian, not Thai. He is named, so is his restaurant,  on 103FM local news every hour on the half hour. The restaurant is closing for a couple of days out of respect for him and his loved ones.

• Haha 1

No helmet... (if reports are correct).

Why oh why oh why do people not wear helmets ????

Its sad enough to see so many Thai’s not wearing helmets (and often wearing face-masks)...  But to see foreigners who come from countries with a decent safety education, those who are fully aware of how dangerous a simple 25kmh off can be when cracking our head on the ground.... 

I recently purchased a scooter and thought about getting a new ’suitable open face helmet’ (matching retro style to the scooter) - I looked at ‘half helmets’ but really couldn’t justify the step down in safety.. then I looked at open face retro helmets... but couldn’t justify the fact that I’d be wearing it every time I took the scooter out...  So.. I went retro full face (Bell Bullitt)....  just that extra layer of face protection. 

I can’t imagine getting on a motorcycle without a helmet.... 

RIP to the deceased.... this is the second foreigner (both italian) to pass away on a motorcycle in two days (the other in Rawai Phuket), neither wearing a helmet (although in the Rawai incident I’m not sure it would have made a difference). 

• Haha 1

The poor engineering of the roadways is in fact a cause of a number of these accidents.  Much more then the old: "it's the cops fault" false narrative. Especially in construction zone areas with lack of proper transition or safely blocking off the construction areas is really lacking.  It would just take some training, which I am sure is non existent. 

Edited by bkk6060

Motor bikes only  have two  wheels. They are inherently more unstable than four-wheeled vehicles.

Motorcycles have no external  shell or  body  to protect  the driver.

Motorcycles are inherently  more dangerous than cars, bicycles, buses,  trains , planes or walking.

They are effectively the most dangerous form of transport available  and in Thailand only use as a vehicle  of choice due  to poverty.

There is no real  reason to use a Motorcycle- not at all. Most teenagers learn  this after their first  near  miss..Here in Pattaya  with taxis so cheap there is no reason to use  motorbikes.

7 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Motor bikes only  have two  wheels. They are inherently more unstable than four-wheeled vehicles.

Motorcycles have no external  shell or  body  to protect  the driver.

Motorcycles are inherently  more dangerous than cars, bicycles, buses,  trains , planes or walking.

They are effectively the most dangerous form of transport available  and in Thailand only use as a vehicle  of choice due  to poverty.

There is no real  reason to use a Motorcycle- not at all. Most teenagers learn  this after their first  near  miss..Here in Pattaya  with taxis so cheap there is no reason to use  motorbikes.

How true

image.png.facaa33a98671a9226a1e541b70d1aad.png

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Onerak said:

So sad. Reading this type stories discourage me to ride my motorcycle in Thailand.

anybody with half a brain knows that since he is 15 years old....

another superman wannabee who couldn't understand how idiot you are to have a motorbike accident in a country where you can travel full time with a taxi or even a personal driver....

sad but some people are looking into problems more than others...

RIP

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I won't post it but the identity of this accident victim has already been been released on a popular FB page. Yes he was a chef and yes I've tasted his food. Condolences to his coworkers, friends, and family. 

any review ?

I’ve travelled to over 80 countries and lived in Thailand for over 20 years. You are right it is the drivers but not necessarily the ones who die are at fault. It’s the other idiots on the road who cause the accidents and deaths. I’ve stopped using a motorcycle because I don’t feel safe anymore. Over 80% of road deaths are on motorcycles. Safer sat in a car than on an open motorcycle 

50 minutes ago, vidgra said:

anybody with half a brain knows that since he is 15 years old....

another superman wannabee who couldn't understand how idiot you are to have a motorbike accident in a country where you can travel full time with a taxi or even a personal driver....

sad but some people are looking into problems more than others...

RIP

My thoughts  entirely-

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, paul545 said:

I’ve stopped using a motorcycle because I don’t feel safe anymore. 

That's good to hear.

Confidence when riding anywhere in the world is so important, if you feel uneasy when riding, well done getting of the roads with your motorcycle. It'll make other road users and our roads a much safer place. 

Riding a motorcycle is so enjoyable for me. 

I've been riding since age 10, having the skillset is the key to survival. 

Incompetence kills  riders. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

was found face down near a damaged power pole, bleeding heavily.

RIP, Italian man. 

If he was bleeding heavily it would mean that he is still alive, when you die you stop bleeding.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

sad but he was asking for trouble ..speeding ..no helmet..RIP

As someone mentioned above, No 1 need is a police force.

So speeding, well, just like about everybody else, since there is no police force.

No helmet, well, just like about everybody else, since there is no police force.

Not easy to identify who or what would be to blame here in this country...

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Motorcycle riding deaths, these accidents happen in every country. 

They do - but few if any with the frequency of Thailand...

We all know the reasons why.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

So.. I went retro full face (Bell Bullitt)....  just that extra layer of face protection. 

Nice lid.

I ride with a Bell 500 Classic when I am out on my Bonneville or RE Interceptor, and I wear an Arai when I'm on my other bikes.

I much prefer riding with an open faced helmet when I am cruising, makes it so much more enjoyable. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

That's good to hear.

Confidence when riding anywhere in the world is so important, if you feel uneasy when riding, well done getting of the roads with your motorcycle. It'll make other road users and our roads a much safer place. 

Confidence is what kills people, your post is so ridiculous that it should even be forbidden for pushing people to be proud to be idiot...

poor italian chef, his death won't even help people who know nothing to improve...

19 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

That's good to hear.

Other driver's incompetence kills and injures drivers. Accidents happen irrelevant to the skills, confidence  or arrogance of any given driver which is why they are called accidents.

On 5/12/2022 at 5:08 AM, AsiaCheese said:

RIP - but this accident apparently didn't have anything to do with "Thailand dangerous for motorbikes". Plus he didn't wear a helmet. There are ways of provoking death...

And was driving at high speed. Still sad.