Farang Victimhood Mentality

40 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I could cite other examples. The reality, is that many of us need a place to vent our frustrations, and hatred of the administration, army, etc. This is a good place for that. Many of us love living here and have very good lives here. Doesn't mean we don't have some complaints. I do not consider myself a victim, on any level. Quite the opposite. I am very happy living here, and I like most Thai people. 

I class it as annoyance rather than hatred.

Poorly educated people that I wouldn't employ to clean my toilet .... thinking themselves my equal, if not my superior.

"Oh you want me to walk to the photocopier once  more for something you didn't ask for before"

Three walks on my last visit to CM, apparently it's more fun asking the foreigner to fetch one paper at a time.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, sipi said:

From my experience farang that complain about being victimised by a Thai pale in comparison to farang that complain about being victimised by a farang, and never stepped foot out of their country.

Indeed. One must watch out more for the other farangs. They're the real snakes in the grass. Especially as a teacher, if you have the misfortune of working under another farang. They'll totally throw you under the bus. They've become their Thai bosses' obedient lackies, emasculated, castrated, hehe, so they must do something to soothe those bruised egos. They very well can't bite the hand that feeds them, so they go after the only ones they can, other farangs. Truly some sad sacks.

On 5/12/2022 at 8:56 AM, 1FinickyOne said:

maybe he spend 10,000 baht one day. 

Hehe, I did quite the opposite. I said the magic word "teacher", which shoos most of them away. Then when a certain lovely Thai lady kept sticking with me regardless, I knew she was a keeper. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Indeed. One must watch out more for the other farangs. They're the real snakes in the grass. Especially as a teacher, if you have the misfortune of working under another farang. They'll totally throw you under the bus. They've become their Thai bosses' obedient lackies, emasculated, castrated, hehe, so they must do something to soothe those bruised egos. They very well can't bite the hand that feeds them, so they go after the only ones they can, other farangs. Truly some sad sacks.

Yes, that is a good point. I have come across a number of very shady and untrustworthy farangs here. Most are fine, but the some who get to minor management positions can turn for the worse.

• Like 1

First impression: It's all very cheap here. And everybody is so friendly.

After a few days: Why did that taxi from the hotel to the temple charge 400B and on the way back we only paid 80B?

Now I see reality: All Thais are bad. They all rip us off all the time. They charged my darling 100B and I should pay 300B for the same. Bad Thais ripping off foreigners.

I met this girls and first I thought she is nice. I bough her dinner a couple of time and I paid. But now I realize that she never even tried to pay herself. She is just a bad as all the others who only want my money.

Yesterday I discovered that when I walk 100m away from the hotel I can get a taxi with meter. Now I understand the system. Soon I will be an expert.

Now I am smart. Instead of paying all that money I told the girl that I am rich and I will marry her. But I am waiting for money. She is so stupid she believes the story. I want to see her face when she finds out I won't pay her.

This hospital is really expensive. I still don't remember who beat me up but it was bad. And now that silly hospital wants hundred thousands of baht. That is crazy! At home medical treatment is free. What a horrible country, I am out of here. I should have listened to my friends and go to Brazil. It's so much better over there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

As others have touched on. These guys that wallow in a state of victumhood, are the very guys that created it. They come as 2 week millionaires, splash the cash around, pay double the taxi fare, tip a waitress half a days pay, pay more than western prices for good/services, label anyone not doing the same as cheap Charlies.

Then they move here and wonder why everything is 2 week millionaire pricing.

I think you're right...Living here hand-to-mouth for a long stretch seemed rough at times, but actually paid off in the long run. Also, Thais are mostly helpful and supportive when you're just scraping by...and that includes bar girls, at least in my experience. 

• Like 1

So, after 33 years, other than this topic, what is your most profound thought about your experience, so far?

You came to Thailand in 1989.  And, I first came to Thailand in 1971, although I wish I had come earlier.

I would have preferred to come to Thailand in 1961, for sure....  Maybe, if I had done so, then I would be far more fluent than I am now.

Here is a profound thought for you:

During the past several decades, probably beginning around 1970, the culture here, just as the culture in other Asian lands, has been evermore diluted by gradually increasing tourism, but even more by television and other types of media.

Even in 1971, there was still an extensive amount of western influence in Thailand, Japan, Hong Kong, etc., etc., etc.

So here is a profound question for you:

Just how far back would you need to travel, in time, in order to find an unadulterated, pure, culture?

The answer is, of course, there is no such thing as an unadulterated culture.

You just need to choose your time and place.

As for me, I might like to choose Hong Kong and HK Disneyland.

Hong Kong Disneyland is my idea of an ideal Asia.

Any more profound thoughts, my friend?

image.png.6e4216fa14131ea20f71bbbf3f3735d9.png

On 5/14/2022 at 9:16 AM, phuketsub said:

I think you're right...Living here hand-to-mouth for a long stretch seemed rough at times, but actually paid off in the long run. Also, Thais are mostly helpful and supportive when you're just scraping by...and that includes bar girls, at least in my experience. 

Helpful and supportive bar girls?

At least, in your experience?

Well, maybe...

But, only if you look like this, probably...

image.thumb.jpeg.72052287dae979fda85d64d0d60778af.jpeg

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

So, after 33 years, other than this topic, what is your most profound thought about your experience, so far?

You came to Thailand in 1989.  And, I first came to Thailand in 1971, although I wish I had come earlier.

I would have preferred to come to Thailand in 1961, for sure....  Maybe, if I had done so, then I would be far more fluent than I am now.

Here is a profound thought for you:

During the past several decades, probably beginning around 1970, the culture here, just as the culture in other Asian lands, has been evermore diluted by gradually increasing tourism, but even more by television and other types of media.

Even in 1971, there was still an extensive amount of western influence in Thailand, Japan, Hong Kong, etc., etc., etc.

So here is a profound question for you:

Just how far back would you need to travel, in time, in order to find an unadulterated, pure, culture?

The answer is, of course, there is no such thing as an unadulterated culture.

You just need to choose your time and place.

As for me, I might like to choose Hong Kong and HK Disneyland.

Hong Kong Disneyland is my idea of an ideal Asia.

Any more profound thoughts, my friend?

image.png.6e4216fa14131ea20f71bbbf3f3735d9.png

I like the concept of 'unadulterated culture', which makes me think of a barren petri dish bathed in preservative. I don't really get the Hong Kong Disneyland reference, though. Maybe you could explain. 

7 minutes ago, phuketsub said:

I like the concept of 'unadulterated culture', which makes me think of a barren petri dish bathed in preservative. I don't really get the Hong Kong Disneyland reference, though. Maybe you could explain. 

Well,

aa. If you are too poor to actually travel to other countries, then you might still be able to visit Disney's EPCOT Theme Park, where you can travel the world just by walking through the exhibits, within about an hour.

bb. Or, if you have a bit more money, then you might be able to travel, as a tourist, to places like Thailand.  And, during your visit to Thailand, you might be able to see this land in the same way as you might see the Thailand exhibit at the EPCOT theme park.

I am not sure how much clearer I could be.

cc.  What I suggested is that tourists, in many cases, treat foreign countries as oddities.  Tourists treat real countries in almost the same way they might view exhibits in a theme park, such as EPCOT center.

dd.  Maybe this is why tourists are viewed with distaste, by most.  And, it is only the money of the tourist which makes the tourist slightly tolerable. 

image.jpeg.f879832f61fd188e8fc9001333c003d8.jpeg

OK.

NOW, do you get my meaning?

Hope it is crystal clear.

You will always find thing wrong no matter where you live. I have lived and worked in 16, maybe 17, countries and each has their own problems and annoyances. Having said that I consider Thailand to be the best place you could wish to live in.

Get away from the attitude of "back home we do...", no one cares and neither should you about what you do back home. If your own country is so great then go back to it, no one is stopping you.

Whilst you return to your home country with your tail between your legs I will enjoy this fabulous country called Thailand.

• Like 1

Don't really care how others deal with Thailand ???? as stated previously in the thread, unlikely to find anywhere perfect, some will adapt, drawing criticism from those who won't or can't. Others will quietly make the best of things, then there are those for whom complaining serves a purpose.

Each to their own 

Happy days guys ????

23 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Well,

aa. If you are too poor to actually travel to other countries, then you might still be able to visit Disney's EPCOT Theme Park, where you can travel the world just by walking through the exhibits, within about an hour.

bb. Or, if you have a bit more money, then you might be able to travel, as a tourist, to places like Thailand.  And, during your visit to Thailand, you might be able to see this land in the same way as you might see the Thailand exhibit at the EPCOT theme park.

I am not sure how much clearer I could be.

cc.  What I suggested is that tourists, in many cases, treat foreign countries as oddities.  Tourists treat real countries in almost the same way they might view exhibits in a theme park, such as EPCOT center.

dd.  Maybe this is why tourists are viewed with distaste, by most.  And, it is only the money of the tourist which makes the tourist slightly tolerable. 

image.jpeg.f879832f61fd188e8fc9001333c003d8.jpeg

OK.

NOW, do you get my meaning?

Hope it is crystal clear.

Yes, I get your point; though at this stage nothing is crystal clear. As for profound insights, I don't have many, but one thing I have learned along the way is to steer clear of people who think they know 'the truth'. I just try to enjoy the show.

On 5/19/2022 at 7:13 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Pattaya definitely has the best rides.

• Like 1