Dryer inverter or a normal one

mrmicbkktxl

HI I want to buy a dryer and it seems to be a bit difficult to find the right one because I have no idea about dryers.Maybe someone has some knowledge

First of all what is the difference between an expensive dryer and a cheap one?

Second do I need an inverter?

With the permanent rain here clothes need 2-3 days until dry and rain won't stop until November. I like to dry shirts and pants only

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/product/toshiba-เครื่องอบผ้า-7-kg-toshiba-td-h80set-ขาตั้ง-262115

I saw the Toshiba and thought ok for me  until I saw they have dryes for 30000bt up.

Thanks for any input

• Haha 1

Seems probably 90% of Thais if not higher manage without one. Most have a covered area outside, even if its just a balcony.

Been here 20 yrs never felt the need, but each to their own. ????

An inverter just makes it cheaper to run.

Careful how its used as many fabrics dont lkke them and if not used correctly you will shrink or damage fclothes/abric in them.

• Like 1

I had a dryer here in Bangkok - in 30 years it may have been used a dozen times, removed a decade ago.  Thai want sun smell freshness and very easy to move to covered area for most people when rain comes.

If you must have I would buy cheap and forget inverter (the big cost is the heat and inverter not going to help that).  Make sure electric line able to provide wattage.  

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I had a dryer here in Bangkok - in 30 years it may have been used a dozen times, removed a decade ago.  Thai want sun smell freshness and very easy to move to covered area for most people when rain comes.

If you must have I would buy cheap and forget inverter (the big cost is the heat and inverter not going to help that).  Make sure electric line able to provide wattage.  

I have here permanent 85-95% humidity,the clothes are under a roof,but with no sunshine and the high humidity and permanent rain showers nothing drys fast.I stayed 8 years ago in Lopburi(Phatthana Nikhom)different weather there,average 3-4celsuis higher temp and less humidity.I stay 30 km away from Pattaya there is sunshine here it's raining.

• Haha 1

The expensive ones are the heat pump type that work similar to an air conditioner in the way they remove moisture.  They will remove moisture much better and use less energy regardless of the humidity levels.  The heater type and condenser types do not work as well when the humidity levels rise.  Inverter types could apply to any one of the three types above and are more expensive, more complex to work on, but use less energy.  I have the condenser type but if I had to do it all over I would have bought the heat pump type.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought a Siemens heat pump dryer with a self cleaning condenser four years ago.  It works great.  It draws only 1000 watts so is quite efficient when compared to others that draw upwards of 2400 watts. If you want more info feels free to send me a messsge.   I’ll get you the model number and a picture.   It wasn’t cheap but the cost to run more than makes up for the higher price

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/13/2022 at 10:59 AM, lopburi3 said:

I am curious about your last comment and the inverter.

Isn’t the heat generated by electricity ?

We have a fridge with an inverter and we were told it would be cheaper to run.

PS I am no electrical expert. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

A fridge has a compressor like airconditioner so yes it should be cheaper to vary the speed but for direct heating element and a motor spinning a drum that I had on dryer not sure how it would help - but from another post they seem to have other types of dryers these days so not sure how they operate (mine was US export model bought back in 1978) and required a whole lot of amps to operate and had to be hard wired to electric box.  

• Haha 1

All my big electric items fridge / freezer , wash machine , dryer, air con are all inverter okay you pay a bit more but the advantage is the are energy efficient less electricity costs and they last twice an long as a none inverter item as there is less wear on them 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My dryer is 18 years old.  15kg Lg model.  It has a 1 gallon water tank that fills up about every 3 loads.  Quicker with towels.  Mine almost steams the clotheing dry.  If you open dryer  in the middle of a dry cycle it will scald your hands and clorhes will be steaming.  Overall I have been happy with it.  Not one repair.  5 loads a week.  The salesman said it would save electric.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We use an Electrolux (new model replacing previous Electrolux). I'd suggest buying am good quality one not a cheapy.

PowerBarn is always a decent bet, has a good product variety, and access to ordering and delivery easily.

• Haha 1

We dry many clothes outside, but we have a large covered area. My wife grew up without dryers, but now she wouldn't be without one.  Ours is just a large plain jane whirlpool dryer. Not to many bells or whistles.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
  • Haha 1

As one of the previous posters mentioned the Invertor controls the Motor speed by changing the frequency of the Electricity and sometimes even the waveform from sinusoidal to sawtooth or other, this is known as "Variable Speed Control" it does make things more efficient.

People who travel on electric trains will hear the noise changing tone/frequency as the train excelerates, a similar thing is happening with your Refrigerator, Aircon, washing machine, but we can't hear it in the same manner.

Electricity at 50hz can only drive a motor wound with a fix amount of Poles at a set speed, previously to make the motor go quickly or have more Torque there was other tricks, but now there is the Invertor which can increase the Frequency of the Electricity, which increases or slows the Motor Speed.

But this is Thailand, there are many Lightening Strikes every month, this send Spikes through the supply network 3 or 4 times the magnitude of the 230vAC supply you only might see a dip in the lights a Brown Out which can damage delicate electronics, hi tec is not always reliable, who is going to fix it, in our through away society

Even in the UK we have this issue l am now on my 3rd Solar Inverter in 10 Years.

In my opion the efficiency benefits for most domestic electrical device are negligible, unless you want a Washing machine that spins your clothes at 200rpm

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, StevieAus said:

A heat pump dryer works like an air conditioner in reverse…..  The compressor is run by electricity and it uses inverter  technology 

Edited by Tracyb
  • Haha 1

We live in udon Thani and have had a dryer since moving here.  It's especially great during the rainy season when not much sunshine.  My Thai-American wife would not be happy without one and I fully agree.  We have both cats and a dog and it's perfect for removing pet hair from their bedding.  We have an Electrolux standard dryer and a Samsung front load washer.  We find them both worth the money. .

• Haha 1

Here is my take, I was coming and going for a few years when I settle and got the house one of the things I got was a washer and dryer the dryer because I like my T-<deleted>s neckline tight shrinkage out in the sun it was all stretched out. Rain or shine after the wash I put it out even when it rains under covered but for a few items I threw it in the dryer for 5 minutes tops to fluff it up. When back in the States I even brought back those perfume/softeners sheets that you throw in wife couldn't believe how great they were didn't have to pour in all the other expensive liquor to hide your clothes spell that the water used because came from the sewer LOL. They got so spoiled using the dryer they were getting lazy didn't want to take the time to hang them up on hangers until she said the electric bill when I was gone. Want to note the brand was Whirlpool. 

They were pricey then still are since I think only people with money could afford them. Although use heavily in the beginning not used much when it broke down no parts expensive to fix just a few months ago it just went out  no lost like so many clothes still try take a bit longer if really in need there are so many today those Japanese laundry all Speed Queens 40 baht 30 minutes dries a giant comfort. 

I also suggest buying a few more sets of clothes if you got to buy a dryer 30,000+ because you not have clothes after Two days Do the math? ????

• Haha 1

On 5/14/2022 at 2:32 PM, lopburi3 said:

A fridge has a compressor like airconditioner so yes it should be cheaper to vary the speed but for direct heating element and a motor spinning a drum that I had on dryer not sure how it would help - but from another post they seem to have other types of dryers these days so not sure how they operate (mine was US export model bought back in 1978) and required a whole lot of amps to operate and had to be hard wired to electric box.  

That’s for your reply even at 72 always keen to learn.

My only understanding, if it is correct, is that the inverter converts to DC making it more efficient.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Maybole said:

Just point big fan at the damp clothes. You will be surprised how quickly that works.

Exactly, I live in the south of France, outside the hot season, it can be very humid and does rain. I just bring in my clothes rack into the bathroom, and turn the fan on , dry in an hour .Also I hang trousers or shirts on hangers from the shower glass  bar fixture, dry and easy to iron if necessary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

That’s for your reply even at 72 always keen to learn.

My only understanding, if it is correct, is that the inverter converts to DC making it more efficient.

Indeed and the voltage is varied to what is needed.  On new dryer systems this seems to be usable unlike in the past when drum speed was fixed and a wire coil was used to provide the heat.  So at 79 have also learned something - but learned long ago wife wants no part of dryers and know that is most important thing to understand.  ????

• Haha 1

Tell me the truth ? you have no idea that aircon are the best dryers ? indoor or outdoor !

no way that any clothes need more than 2 hours to dry if you put them in front of the outdoor uniit aircon fan, but as I find it dirty, I only dry clothes indoor in an aircon room, 1 night is enough to dry all. So it seems that it's not just Thai who know nothing ? How many people I met who were drying clothes outside like idiots until I tell them to keep it inside in aircon room... Sad for humanity !