Frustrated with Pattaya beach deckchair businesses!

simon43

3 minutes ago, BE88 said:

But didn't you go to Turkey and then to Mauritania recently ?

Why are you in Pattaya now ?

Yawn - read the posts FGS, I'm not explaining again.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Nope - all the other, previous vendors last month said 100 baht for a coconut and chair for as long as you want to sit there ????

You realize the cost of living has taken a sharp upturn in the past few weeks right? Everything from Mama noodles to pork, to eggs, to cooking oil, to gasoline, is on the increase.  

7 minutes ago, simon43 said:

At least when I'm on my deathbed, I can look back at the memories (good and bad) of all these places that I've visited during my life. I'd say that's better than living in only one place.

Are you headed back to Cambodia anytime soon? If so let us know how things are going over there now.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

So the cost of a beach chair has risen in that time as well as coconuts?  I dont think the vendors have bought those chairs in the past two weeks and coconuts are selling out of the back of truck and on the roadsides for between 10 and 20 baht.  I even observed pineapples being sold for as low as 10 baht on the roadsides on our return from Phuket a week and a half ago.

The OP himself said the vendors are pulling up in new cars, those cars don't run on coconuts.  Vendors gotta eat, their cost of living is on the rise.  The OP can buy a coconut for your said 10-20b and sit on the promenade, free of cost and drama.

A friend has the concession for deck chairs on Bangsaen beach.  He has to pay 5 million THB to the local government each year for one narrow strip of the beach, and he got no refund for when the beach was closed due to COVID.

It's his only business, so people paying to sit in his chairs is his only revenue, so I understand why he does not want to offer discounts.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bbko said:

The OP himself said the vendors are pulling up in new cars, those cars don't run on coconuts.  Vendors gotta eat, their cost of living is on the rise.  The OP can buy a coconut for your said 10-20b and sit on the promenade, free of cost and drama.

Spot On. Anyway most vendors have seats n table nearby to sit n consume drinks free without disrupting lounges. 

5 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

He has to clear 14,000 baht each day just to break even?

That would be 140 chair rentals for the day and the gravy would be the selling of drinks. Doable during the high season

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is just horrible behaviour by uneducated scum trying to rip off a tourist...  they may have had no business for the past couple of years, but lets not pretend that these folk are nice innocent business folk, they are solely in the game of ripping off tourists. 

Exactly

These kinds of people deserve no business; they can do something else.

They don't even attemp to serve their valued customer well.

I don't mind incompetent people if they are trying, but these ones are a different breed.

8 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I'm not asking for a frigging discount!  When I ask "is the deckchair free if I buy your coconut drink for 100 baht" and they say "yes", I don't expect that to mean "yes, if you drink up quick and <deleted> off!!".

Now you know and should expect that. Pattaya is a tourist city with the majority focused on squeezing the most they can out of each tourist and not worrying at all about repeat business or friendly customer service. I find all the vendors much more friendlier in Jomtien.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StayinThailand2much said:

You'd have to be nuts to pay 100 baht for a coconut! - Maybe some Saudis or Russians could be made to believe that this is the price of a coconut...

I agree.... however its probably better value than a small bottle of Leo for 120

23 minutes ago, simon43 said:

It's his only business, so people paying to sit in his chairs is his only revenue, so I understand why he does not want to offer discounts.

Fair enough. Even though, I consider some of these people scum (nothing to do with the business as such), I still understand their need to make an income with fewer tourists. As long as they clearly tell what their prices are, I have no problem with that. But I don't want to go on a beach holiday, where I, just before leaving, am presented with a huge bill like in an upstairs Patpong bar... Tell me upfront that the price of a chair is 150 baht, and 120 for a coconut, and I will just chuckle and walk past. Once they know that they have to consume all their overpriced nuts themselves, prices will come down (probably not for the chairs, but for everything else)...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

In the old days, we would sit for hours in the beach chairs in Cha'am... I think 20 baht for the day... and ladies would parade past selling plates of mussels and som tam and whatever delicacies for 20 baht a plate... 

I can remember, how a guy, about 20 years ago in Patong, regularly gave me one of those big wooden chairs (then 100 baht rent) for free. "Just don't tell my boss", he always said... Something like that never happened to me in Pattaya.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Wow, that's what I call inflation! Only 4-5 years ago 'a chair' on Pattaya's beach was 40 or 50 baht. (A coconut cost about the same as mentioned.) - Looking forward to my beach holiday in Cairns...

Mate, the last time I was in Cairns there was no beach, just a small strip of sand. Crocs in the estuary, stingers in the sea, no deckchairs and, I think 4 bucks up for a coconut.

Maybe things have cha ged, but I doubt it. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, lahgon29 said:

Mate, the last time I was in Cairns there was no beach, just a small strip of sand. Crocs in the estuary, stingers in the sea, no deckchairs and, I think 4 bucks up for a coconut.

Maybe things have cha ged, but I doubt it. 

Will be my first trip to Cairns. At least it will be a nice change. Love Oz!

Edited by StayinThailand2much