Frustrated with Pattaya beach deckchair businesses!

simon43

2 minutes ago, blackshadow said:

did you order a deckchair off lazada????????????????

Nope - see my post in this thread. Amongst other things, I bought a Liebeg condenser, which every home should have of course ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it is the same in Pattaya as in Phuket -- and I am not in doubt that it is -- the people renting out the chairs are not actually 'owning' the place; they pay money for the concession to do so to somebody higher-up who will absolutely not care if and how they make that money back.

In Phuket, the amounts paid for that could be quite astronomical, so high in fact that only renting out all chairs constantly at least through all of high season would make breakeven possible for the whole year (very similar to the rent paid for bars, if you count chairs available and rent paid, many of those are impossible to ever make money even under the absolute best case scenario).

So I do not wonder that they try to maximize their return the Thai way.

Will that help them getting return customers? Most likely not. But then again, foreigners are normally just passing through and are gone within days, maybe weeks. Retaining the few that stay longer is maybe just not worth the effort.

• Haha 1

[quote]

But then again, foreigners are normally just passing through and are gone within days, maybe weeks. Retaining the few that stay longer is maybe just not worth the effort.

[/quote]

Given the dire economic straits that Pattaya is in right now, and seeing the abysmal number of foreign tourists in the town, retaining the favour of those few tourists/expats who do want to relax in a deckchair with a nice coconut drink, and not be <deleted> about by the vendor, would probably be a smart move.

But then again, good marketing and customer service is probably not their strong point ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

OMG, I haven't sat in a beach deck chair in ages, I thought they were only 40 baht. 

I remember when they were only 20 baht. 

i always sat on the wall 'cos it was free, and gave the girls/guys dressed as girls the opportunity to flirt with me.

Simon is a big spender!

• Haha 2

they pay money for the concession to do so to somebody higher-up who will absolutely not care if and how they make that money back."

Who pressured them to pay a ridiculos amount to do business on the beach?

Is it the customers problem that they don't know how to calculate?

5 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's a  100 baht all day. If somebody can't afford to pay a poor beach vendor  100 baht they can't afford  to be in Thailand- such  angry, sour people should find a place where the people are easier  to bully

Who says they are poor? Probably worth a million baht in land.

Not all brown people are poor, you know.

I'd feel more sorry for someone working 12 hours for 300 than these beach vendors renting out a chair for 100.

Jeez, the locals are the biggest bullies out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

Given the dire economic straits that Pattaya is in right now, and seeing the abysmal number of foreign tourists in the town, retaining the favour of those few tourists/expats who do want to relax in a deckchair with a nice coconut drink, and not be <deleted> about by the vendor, would probably be a smart move.

But then again, good marketing and customer service is probably not their strong point ????

You are not wrong, of course. But I am very surprised, that after all those years doing business in Thailand (was there not a hotel on Phuket?), you still do not seem to appreciate that there is simply no way that you will ever be able to change things as they are... and as I argued, maybe things really should not be changed, as Thailand would loose all charm that way.

Maybe I am wrong, simply assuming, but with your Thai speaking ability, misunderstandings as you describe them are really difficult to achieve. Which makes me think that you simply want to go head through wall, have things your way (but, not the Thai way).

So why not go with the flow, enjoy the good things and simply avoid the downsides? Just sayin'.

Edited by jts-khorat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, simon43 said:

Hmm, is that why I see them arriving at 5.30am in new cars...

In any case, If the vendor tells me the 'real' price before I sit down, and tells me that I have to pay extra if I want to sit longer than 10 minutes, then I'm all fine with that.  I can then decide whether or not to accept their offer.  But I have zero time for 'sneakiness', regardless of how little the sum involved is ????

My daily expenditure is 100 baht for the coconut drink....  That is 100 baht more than the vendors get if they <deleted> me off by lying to me.

You are right. The vendors are liars. Extremely bad customer service. If they treat u well you go back the next day. 

Sadly Pattaya and Phuket are full of grubby types with no people skills.

Their loss. Sit in restaurants.

Btw 25 baht Koh Chang coconuts

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

OMG, I haven't sat in a beach deck chair in ages, I thought they were only 40 baht. 

I remember when they were only 20 baht. 

Prices went slowly up. 20 baht in the early 2000s, then 40 baht for a few years. I think, as late as 2018 the price was still 60 baht. - 400% in 15 years or so, not bad!

The ones on Phuket used to cost 100 baht 20 years ago (i.e. 5x the Pattaya price). Wonder, what a beach deck chair in Patong costs now. 500 baht? 

Edited by StayinThailand2much

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

I do love these kinds of threads ????  It brings out the best and worst in different posters!!  Do you think I should ask tomorrow how much to drink their coconut juice if I stand next to the deckchair, but don't sit in it??

Yes 99 baht

9 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Rather sit on the sand

Why give money to rude people?

That creates other problems, like being told to leave by some rude chair renters who regard most of the beach as their domain. And with the beaches usually filled up with the chairs, not many places to sit on the sand.

• Haha 1

Just now, StayinThailand2much said:

That creates other problems, like being told to leave by the chair renters, 'or else'. And with the beaches usually filled up with the chairs, not many places to sit on the sand.

Go to restaurant then. Much nicer. These Pattaya beach mobsters sound like shocking people. They rather earn zero than 100 baht.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Prices went slowly up. 20 baht in the early 2000s, then 40 baht for a few years. I think, as late as 2018 the price was still 60 baht. - 400% in 15 years or so, not bad!

The ones on Phuket used to cost 100 baht 20 years ago (i.e. 5x the Pattaya price). Wonder, what a beach deck chair in Patong costs now. 500 baht? 

Doubt it maybe 200

Get massage for 200

14 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Go to restaurant then. Much nicer. These Pattaya beach mobsters sound like shocking people. They rather earn zero than 100 baht.

I don't want more stress on my holiday. Rude hotel staff, rude deck chair providers, overpriced services... In recent years I have travelled, mostly because of these reasons, much less often to Thailand's beaches than I usually would have liked to. Those rude people have cost hotels, restaurants, and entertainment places, etc., a lot of money, as I'm sure that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

• Like 1

we have the same problem in Cha-am, I was told many years ago that none of the beach was able to be "rented" because the king owned all the beaches.. well it seems that this is wrong from what I read here.

here if i ever have a lady coming over with a car then it's always some drama cause they charge for parking near their chairs and if ever told that they are staying a few hours (omg, what about overnight) then they get angry and tell my friend to go park somewhere else.

There are few places on the beach that you can park but it's a few minutes walk and the women usually don't like walking 5 minutes.

the local foreigners some of them have their little chairs like the above one from Lazada and even umbrellas and they get the dirty looks but don't care.

I couldn't tell you how much the chair rental is (or parking) because I don't have a car and live less than 50 meters from the beach so I don't sit on their chairs, i know they act like children if you ever try to sit there even when there is no one else around tho (even sometimes late at night)

favorite day of the week is Wednesday when there are no umbrellas or chairs on the beach because its cleanup day.

• Like 1

Just now, StayinThailand2much said:

I don't want more stress on my holiday. Rude hotel staff, rude and overpriced deck chair providers... In recent years I have travelled, mostly because of these reasons, much less often to Thailand's beaches than I usually would have liked to. Those rude people have cost hotels, restaurants, and entertainment places, etc. a lot of money, as I'm sure that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Try koh chang

People r nice

No rip offs

Or prachuap kk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You looked for a confrontation and you got  one - well done. These vendors  are poverty stricken and their families can barely  afford  to send their kids to school. They have experienced real hardship over the last two years  and they are  desperate.

I am astonished, embarrassed and a little bit sickened  by the entitled  arrogance of some foreigners here. But not the OP of course whose daily expenditure of 35 baht is a valuable  contribution  to the micro economy  of the beach vendors.

They are poor due to poor customer service. If they bothered to ask Simon if he comes back tomorrow they get 5 days worth of sales.

If a vendor is too stupid to talk to customers they deserve no business.

Their fault not his. In hospitality customer service is everything.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, simon43 said:

Just to point out that apart from my obvious irritation with the 1st vendor, I told the second vendor to "go away" without anger and I told the 3rd vendor that I accept their offer to drink up and <deleted> off....  There was no confrontation.

In all these cases, they would have known that I wasn't a tourist - we spoke Thai throughout the conversations.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll sit in the bar on the other side of the road ????

Did you try and set up your HAM radio antennas when you were sitting there ?

dude, you've lived in Thailand a long time already or so you say. that's how they do down Pattaya so why you don't know this? 

not trolling this is a serious question. Thailand ain't no place for someone who gets so easily frustrated. learn how to play the game a little better or find somewhere else to play.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

They are poor due to poor customer service. If they bothered to ask Simon if he comes back tomorrow they get 5 days worth of sales.

If a vendor is too stupid to talk to customers they deserve no business.

Their fault not his. In hospitality customer service is everything.

but those Pattaya beach vendors are a different breed.. I'm not having a go but have you ever been there? every time I jump off the bus* in my beloved Patts I hear Axl Rose screaming Welcome to the Jungle in my head ????

* I take private cars now because crypto profits but you get the drift

Edited by Lemsta69

4 hours ago, CFCjeff said:

Unfriendly, argumentative, confrontational, entitled,  pretty much sums you up mate.

nonsense. he's a cashed-up consumer that deserves a modicum of respect from the vendors. however the Pattaya beach mob are a law until themselves and you enter their domain at your own risk.

anyone who's been here a while should know this so not worth getting frustrated or upset about, it is what it is.

• Like 1

Never had a problem with the beach chair vendors in either Pattaya or Jomtien. Very nice and helpful in my experience. Good food and beverage service and even adjusting the umbrellas to keep the shade. Happy to pay the 100 Baht for the chair all afternoon and for the sunset. In the mornings I go to 7-11 to buy coffee and then sit on the sand for free for as long as I like as the calm of the dawn turns into a more energetic day. No complaints here OP. Pay up or shut up IMO.

Edited by soi3eddie