Frustrated with Pattaya beach deckchair businesses!

simon43

They did not like you for some reason or the vendor was having a bad day.

If you have an unfinished beverage there the seat is typically free, even if your sipping it slowly. If your done with the drink and just sitting there you need to order another beverage.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

So now you're saying you rented the chair. What a load of <deleted> as if you had rented the chair it would be for the entire day and they wouldn't have woken you up and asked you to leave after 45 minutes asleep

LoL, you're funny ????  Do you shout at clouds as well?

Why would a deckchair vendor want to kick out the only customer that they have?  Do you go into the empty restaurant or the one with happy customers?  Sorry, but I started thinking with common sense, which doesn't always work in Thailand ????

"

Perhaps it was moved on to the patch of the neighbouring vendor"

Nope, completely in the middle of their patch.

BTW, some of the vendors are absolutely fine and tell me that I can sit in their deckchair for free, even if I buy nothing from them (popular restaurant concept - see above).  I wouldn't dream of doing so, and it's a pity that 3 different deckchair vendors have a bad customer attitude, so that I won't bother with any of them in the future.  

Edited by simon43
  • Haha 2

Here's a tip, pay for the deck chair which is normally 50 baht for the entire day. Then order your coconut for 40 baht and take as long as you like to drink it. Saves you 10 baht and no self imposed stress caused by making your own deal that only you understand

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
21 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

moving the table was not impeding anyone or causing a problem.

Perhaps it was moved on to the patch of the neighbouring vendor.

Possible....   But again, is that even the remotest of issues when the area is completely empty ?

The vendors were just unnecessarily pushy and rude. 

Any ’normal service minded person’ wouldn’t see moving the table as a problem.....  The vendor only saw this as a problem because (she) has an underlying dislike for the foreigners and was looking to be objectionable.

Again... some people are looking for the tiniest of excuses to justify or explain the Vendors pushy and rude behaviour, when really, this behaviour cannot be justified, but it can be explained by a poor attitude towards a foreigner (or perhaps the vendor is equally impolite to Thai’s).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Here's a tip, pay for the deck chair which is normally 50 baht for the entire day. Then order your coconut for 40 baht and take as long as you like to drink it. Saves you 10 baht and no self imposed stress caused by making your own deal that only you understand

Then we will see a thread... where someone (similar to the Op) rents the deck-chair then at some point goes to the bathroom, then returns to his chair that he has rented for the day and the vendor tells him that because he left, he has to ‘re-rent’ the chair !!!...  

.....a hypothetical example of course. But... I use this example to highlight the unfriendly and poor nature of these vendors.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

"

He also said that the price of a chair is fixed by the government at 50 THB per day."

Well if that's the case, and a coconut only costs 30 baht, then those vendors owe me a 20 baht refund, perhaps more for only occupying their deckchair for 45 minutes! ????

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Well if that's the case, and a coconut only costs 30 baht, then those vendors owe me a 20 baht refund, perhaps more for only occupying their deckchair for 45 minutes! ????

That's what everyone's been saying, you made up some strange deal with them for 100 baht instead of just paying for the deckchair for full day and ordering the coconut

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

What a load of made up <deleted>. I have used these chairs often and left for swim or toilet many times. You rent the chair for the entire day for 50 baht, every normal person understands that

Every normal person also understands that IF they buy a coconut from the vendor which includes use of the chair he’s not going to get kicked off the chair at the empty restaurant the moment he’s finished the coconut (or after 30 mins).

This is the whole point of the thread.....  Normal behaviour and what every normal person understands. 

These vendors operated outside of normalcy with their rude behaving. 

Now we have posters such as yourself ‘cherry picking’ normal - I used the ‘unrealistic example’ (of rending for a day and going to the bathroom) to highlight unreasonable behaviour, you agree that this would be so unreasonable it would not happen. 

What the Op encountered is also unreasonable, it ‘should not’ have happened..... 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:
17 minutes ago, simon43 said:

That's what everyone's been saying, you made up some strange deal with them for 100 baht instead of just paying for the deckchair for full day and ordering the coconut

Nothing strange at all... 

He ordered a coconut and sat at the chair of the place he’d ordered it from. 

The Vendor was rude and pushy.....      Thats not the ops fault, there was no ‘strange deal’... he ordered something and sat to drink it, he was then rushed. 

This is just very poor behaviour of the vendor....  I’m surprised people are trying to find excuses for this impolite behaviour. 

IF the Op had simply rocked up and sat on a deck chair it would then be reasonable to expect the vendor to ask the Op for some payment to rent the deck-chair, but this is not the case. 

There is no excusing a the rude vendors behaviour - they were (she was) the type of character that looks to get pushy with tourists...  these same characters are always in these areas and are best avoided. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Nothing strange at all... 

He ordered a coconut and sat at the chair of the place he’d ordered it from. 

The Vendor was rude and pushy.....      Thats not the ops fault, there was no ‘strange deal’... he ordered something and sat to drink it, he was then rushed. 

This is just very poor behaviour of the vendor....  I’m surprised people are trying to find excuses for this impolite behaviour. 

IF the Op had simply rocked up and sat on a deck chair it would then be reasonable to expect the vendor to ask the Op for some payment to rent the deck-chair, but this is not the case. 

There is no excusing a the rude vendors behaviour - they were (she was) the type of character that looks to get pushy with tourists...  these same characters are always in these areas and are best avoided. 

Don't go there, I saw stay dogs on the beach ! hahahahahaha....

56 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

How quick are you to label the vendor rude and pushy. You weren't there so why so quick to take Falang side.

Normal is to buy a chair and order drink or food. He did something different and wasn't happy with his supposed deal which he said was in Thai. Maybe his Thai is bad which explains the confusion?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

How quick are you to label the vendor rude and pushy. You weren't there so why so quick to take Falang side.

Normal is to buy a chair and order drink or food. He did something different and wasn't happy with his supposed deal which he said was in Thai. Maybe his Thai is bad which explains the confusion?

I have an MA in Thai from Chulalongkorn University ????  My Thai is pretty good.

I never realised that asking the vendor how much his coconut drink is, and then asking if the chair is free if I buy his drink would cause so much confusion. These vendors must have pretty small brains!  But if I follow your advice and book the chair for the whole day and then buy a drink, might the vendor stop me from leaving early?  After all, empty chairs don't encourage new customers.  He might force me to sit all day on his chair......

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, simon43 said:

But if I follow your advice and book the chair for the whole day and then buy a drink, might the vendor stop me from leaving early?  After all, empty chairs don't encourage new customers.  He might force me to sit all day on his chair......

Just goes to show how deluded you are thinking the whole world revolves around you. 

Just buy the chair for the day, have a coconut drink and leave whenever you like without thinking you are smarter than everyone else by making a different deal

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I have an MA in Thai from Chulalongkorn University ????  My Thai is pretty good.

I never realised that asking the vendor how much his coconut drink is, and then asking if the chair is free if I buy his drink would cause so much confusion. These vendors must have pretty small brains!  But if I follow your advice and book the chair for the whole day and then buy a drink, might the vendor stop me from leaving early?  After all, empty chairs don't encourage new customers.  He might force me to sit all day on his chair......

I had to read your OP couple of times...

Seriously ...you speak excellent Thai? and with almost 16k posts would/should be very familiar with Thailand.

However seems the opposite to me. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Seriously ...you speak excellent Thai? and with almost 16k posts would/should be very familiar with Thailand.

He is doing them a favor you understand. Same as one I sitting next to in a bar, buying a lady quite a few drinks, and then got offended when she wanted 2k for short time. He said to her, she was not worth that much. Nice guy huh

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Oh, I'm familiar with the scams that some vendors try to pull.  Which is why I challenge them every time they try it on with me ????  

So let's summarise all this.  It was actually my fault for not asking the vendor the right questions ????  Although I only wanted to relax for about 45 minutes, I should have indicated that I wanted to rent the chair for the whole day.  I shouldn't have mentioned any coconut drink until I had sat down.  I shouldn't move the small table and I should pay and make a run for it if I want to leave early.  That's all clear now, thanks!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

Oh, I'm familiar with the scams that some vendors try to pull.  Which is why I challenge them every time they try it on with me ????  

Funny, I never have an issue.

I certainly don't do "deals".

The vendors have a tough gig.

Just last weekend at Bang Saen beach. 

Lovely bloke where we sat for 3 days. 4 adults 2 kids so 300baht per day. 

Had couple of heavy rain/wind periods. 

Our hotel opposite had a closed down open air restaurant (covid victim).

The vendor carried all out food over the road when storm hit.

We booked the same set of chairs tables for the 3 days and he kept them for us as we left and returned. 

I have same set up in Pattaya and that family know us. 

We get treated great.

There are customers and customers.

Clip from last Saturday. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/J7i3egArErXFUJZg7

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

Not just me... the Thai Army got involved too... 

The Deck-Chair vendors have caused numerous problems over the years...  (see links below), they fight each other, they fight customers....  in general they are not exactly ’service minded’.

Has the Op got a reputation for being impolite and pushy ??

The question should really be asked - why do you choose to not believe the Op ???.... 

This ‘normal' of yours is just strange....  the Deck Chair vendor was rude and pushy - why wouldn’t they allow the Op to sit on their chair when he orders something ???

Whenever I have been to restaurants at the beach I don’t have to pay for the deck-chairs then order food separately.

IF the Op agreed 100 baht for a Chair and a Coconut then that is what the vendor agreed to... thats it. The vendor got rude and pushy when she had no reason to... no reason whatsoever, she’d already had 100 baht off the Op..

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/beach-chair-vendors-in-pattaya-shut-down-after-video-of-pushy-business-owner-goes-viral

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/pattaya-beach-vendors-suspended-for-fighting-376873

On 5/13/2022 at 2:00 PM, Denim said:

Ah.....I think I'll nip down Ladbrokes and see what odds I can get on you remaining there for more than 6 months .

The only worse place than Pattaya is Isaan.

Well, maybe Central Thailand, then Isaan.

• Haha 2