Frustrated with Pattaya beach deckchair businesses!

simon43

They should kick all those vendors and chairs of the beaches, then designate storage units from where they are ONLY allowed to rent them out to beach visitors. In terms of a coconut, 50 baht would be higher end already.

Hope these guys go bankrupt this year, all tho, that be hard with all those paid off chairs and getting the chance to pay back the big bribes for it later on. Tourism isn't gonna save them anytime soon, that is for sure.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

They should kick all those vendors and chairs of the beaches, then designate storage units from where they are ONLY allowed to rent them out to beach visitors. In terms of a coconut, 50 baht would be higher end already.

Hope these guys go bankrupt this year, all tho, that be hard with all those paid off chairs and getting the chance to pay back the big bribes for it later on. Tourism isn't gonna save them anytime soon, that is for sure.

that ain't never gonna happen bro so why beat yourself up about all these 'evil' beach vendors? perhaps you're descended from King Canute? ????

• Like 1

18 hours ago, simon43 said:

You're probably right.  Why should I, as their only customer, expect to be able to relax in a deckchair, buy their drink and not move their little plastic table?  I guess it's my white, colonial ideas.  Shame on me

Not much goes for free in Thailand..... try getting a carrier-bag for nowt after spending money in a supermarket! (A past thread). Had my issues with the beach chair people, they seem to get inordinately greedy on holiday weekends. i recall an incident where one expected me and my Mrs to pay for a 'set'....4 chairs and a table, more than we needed. I think it is a trait, like putting prices up when chasing more profit, if you have only one customer, especially a foreigner, gouge him. 100 baht for a seat and table, my, I thought it was still 30! 

18 hours ago, simon43 said:

Well, I'm only in Pattaya for maybe 1 more week.  All my Lazada orders have finally arrived, so I can move on to Isaan ????

Do the chairs smell like pee?

I see every creature pee on them in the evening time ????

Edited by AwwYesNice1
Yawn
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, simon43 said:

My father taught me to be honest and to speak honestly, even if it pisses off the opposing party.  I have zero qualms about pissing off liars and cheats ????  It works so far for me and my stress levels are about zero.  I don't lose out at all because there are many other refreshment stops in that location.  The vendor loses every time.

Fair speech mate but watch your back... these folks are crazy!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your a riot. Well don't that beat all, a coconut chair vendor needing to pay for their new supercar or Mercedes, shame on me for thinking they were regular folks.  A new car can be as little as 300k to 450k depending on the make and model.

555, Where did I or the OP say they were pulling up in a "supercar"?  Heaven forbid a small business owner owns a decent car. Your laughable claim of a new car costing 300k shows how out of touch with reality you really are. Please enlighten us on what "new car can be as little as 300k to 450k depending on the make and model". This is a somewhat retorical question, be cause I doubt you'll respond with actual data to back up your claim.

Edited by bbko

100 thb/chair is crazy expensive. 45 minutes from Pattaya the cost is 30 thb for those horrible folding chairs or a plastic chair. I prefer going to the beaches with trees for shade and bring our own mats and chairs.

I can understand the frustration of dealing with the chair mafia.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bbko said:

555, Where did I or the OP say they were pulling up in a "supercar"?  Heaven forbid a small business owner owns a decent car. Your laughable claim of a new car costing 300k shows how out of touch with reality you really are. Please enlighten us on what "new car can be as little as 300k to 450k depending on the make and model". This is a somewhat retorical question, be cause I doubt you'll respond with actual data to back up your claim.

Many of them out there, so try again my friend.image.png.ed0f1ca19ebddbe11dea5494a3e4a779.png

image.png.7b6fefbbb665f739ddd7131edab9af53.png

image.png.cb94b81ab568f225a8a937ad02f1316b.png

image.png.374a441c244bc648b145697c81834195.png

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

dude, you've lived in Thailand a long time already or so you say. that's how they do down Pattaya so why you don't know this? 

not trolling this is a serious question. Thailand ain't no place for someone who gets so easily frustrated. learn how to play the game a little better or find somewhere else to play.

Do not expect that everybody is normal or stable... Some have more than nothing to exist, so anything that can shake air around them is welcome !

8 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

Those chair vendors and all their cr@p make the place look like a real dump. 

A chair/ umbrella should be deployed on the beach only if there is a customer request.
In the evening they should all be hauled off and not stacked up there like a crummy old chair warehouse. 

I would never sit in one of those filthy chairs if they paid me as they are covered in rat and dog p!ss, farang sweat, mold and bacteria from all the food that is spilled on them. 

you think too mutt. think too mutt no good, hurt your head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Many of them out there, so try again my friend.image.png.ed0f1ca19ebddbe11dea5494a3e4a779.png

image.png.7b6fefbbb665f739ddd7131edab9af53.png

image.png.cb94b81ab568f225a8a937ad02f1316b.png

image.png.374a441c244bc648b145697c81834195.png

Thank you for showing us used car prices, but the operative word I used was "new". To use your words "try again my friend", have a nice day.

2 minutes ago, bbko said:

Thank you for showing us used car prices, but the operative word I used was "new". To use your words "try again my friend", have a nice day.

Nice try, but check again.  The first is a used one that has 1k km on it as it was driven as a test drive vehicle after the car show....The others are brand new 2022's sitting on dealer lots...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Nice try, but check again.  The first is a used one that has 1k km on it as it was driven as a test drive vehicle after the car show....The others are brand new 2022's sitting on dealer lots...

I don't want to hijack this thread and go off topic, so have a nice day.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

So you broke the deal of being able to sit and drink your coconut as you stayed after finishing it, and then got <deleted> at them for waking you up after 45 minutes sleeping...maybe you would have stayed for 2 hours sleeping if they didn't wake you up... I would have kicked you out as soon as you dozed off as you were freeloading

Comprehension isn't your strong point is it?  I never made a deal to drink my coconut and go.  My deal was to sit in the deckchair AND also drink a coconut juice.  No time limit was ever discussed.  Since none of these vendors had any customers, imposing a time limit seems rather moot, doesn't it?  Is relaxing for 45 minutes in a chair that I had rented too much to ask? ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ThaiSanookGuy said:

Do not expect that everybody is normal or stable... Some have more than nothing to exist, so anything that can shake air around them is welcome !

Indeed. OP sounds like he has a bit of a god complex. or like the French he is on some kind of deluded mission civilisatrice.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Kinnock said:

A friend has the concession for deck chairs on Bangsaen beach.  He has to pay 5 million THB to the local government each year for one narrow strip of the beach, and he got no refund for when the beach was closed due to COVID.

It's his only business, so people paying to sit in his chairs is his only revenue, so I understand why he does not want to offer discounts.

Your friend has to rent out 140 deck chairs per day (at 100 baht each) just to brake even ???

Your ‘friend’ is telling porkie-pies... 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Indeed. OP sounds like he has a bit of a god complex. or like the French he is on some kind of deluded mission civilisatrice.

This is just a very strange response... and you shoehorn in an insult at the French while you are at it... 

Very very odd... Some people have lost their marbles and have gone ’too native’ given their responses and are agreeing with the pushy and rude behaving of the deck chair vendors... Just odd. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wombat said:

The only other person posting who knows what a coconut is worth.

More like 40 THB if bought from a beach vendor, but don't let that spoil sense of intellectual superiority over every other poster ????

On 5/13/2022 at 12:24 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

You looked for a confrontation and you got  one - well done. These vendors  are poverty stricken and their families can barely  afford  to send their kids to school. They have experienced real hardship over the last two years  and they are  desperate.

I am astonished, embarrassed and a little bit sickened  by the entitled  arrogance of some foreigners here. But not the OP of course whose daily expenditure of 35 baht is a valuable  contribution  to the micro economy  of the beach vendors.

Excellent.

On 5/13/2022 at 12:31 PM, simon43 said:

Hmm, is that why I see them arriving at 5.30am in new cars...

You're assuming that the "new cars" you see them arriving in are paid for and not one of their debts causing them to have charge people for wanting to use their beach chairs on that part of the beach that they have to pay for.   

Why would anyone assume that a beach chair business would offer free beach chair occupancy for longer than it takes to swig a few mls of coconut juice?

The vendors have very specific areas in which their chairs and tables are allowed to be, why should you think that you can rearrange their tables into public or another vendors space?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, simon43 said:

Nope - all the other, previous vendors last month said 100 baht for a coconut and chair for as long as you want to sit there

So the usual price is B100 for a beach chair, table and umbrella, all day, no limit, yes?

Edited by Liverpool Lou