Frustrated with Pattaya beach deckchair businesses!

simon43

To all the scammer apologists here: in what world is charging 100 for 30 minutes sest rental normal (especially when you are buying their product).

That would be like charging 30 dollars for 30 minutes on a deckchair on America for example (if you factor in wages).

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

Hmm, is that why I see them arriving at 5.30am in new cars...

In any case, If the vendor tells me the 'real' price before I sit down, and tells me that I have to pay extra if I want to sit longer than 10 minutes, then I'm all fine with that.  I can then decide whether or not to accept their offer.  But I have zero time for 'sneakiness', regardless of how little the sum involved is ????

My daily expenditure is 100 baht for the coconut drink....  That is 100 baht more than the vendors get if they <deleted> me off by lying to me.

You are being 'sneaky', if you buy coconut... Then decide to stay sitting in the chair,after you have finished... 

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Would point out we foreigners ain't responsible for their poverty.

They could have stayed in their home villages working normal jobs like the rest of the country.

Non of your business  to tell Thais where they  should work. Another example of entitled arrogance from foreigners living here who seem to lack basic empathy.

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

You're probably right.  Why should I, as their only customer, expect to be able to relax in a deckchair, buy their drink and not move their little plastic table?  I guess it's my white, colonial ideas.  Shame on me!

Wasnt the reason given that moving the table would cause a blockage and people wouldn't be able to get past ?

22 minutes ago, 2009 said:

To all the scammer apologists here: in what world is charging 100 for 30 minutes sest rental normal (especially when you are buying their product).

That would be like charging 30 dollars for 30 minutes on a deckchair on America for example (if you factor in wages).

It's a  100 baht all day. If somebody can't afford to pay a poor beach vendor  100 baht they can't afford  to be in Thailand- such  angry, sour people should find a place where the people are easier  to bully

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Wasnt the reason given that moving the table would cause a blockage and people wouldn't be able to get past ?

There were no other customers.  It didn't block their access anyway.  The vendor was just being a prat ????

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's a  100 baht all day. If somebody can't afford to pay a poor beach vendor  100 baht they can't afford  to be in Thailand- such  angry, sour people should find a place where the people are easier  to bully

As I have mentioned, I have no problems to pay 100 baht for a coconut and permission to sit in their deckchair for more than 10 minutes, especially when I am the only customer.  (I can understand if people were queuing up for deckchairs, but I guess that has never and will never happen!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

But they were expecting some other Customers to come later 

Lol, good on them!  I wasn't intending to spend the whole day there!  For that vendor, I slept for 45 minutes after drinking my coconut and then left to visit Central Festival when it opened.

There were no other customers in all that time ????

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, simon43 said:

In all these cases, they would have known that I wasn't a tourist - we spoke Thai throughout the conversations (...)

As a foreigner you'll always be a 'tourist' in Thailand, no matter what. Yes, there are friendly Thais around, but many will just try to squeeze out every last baht you own. The flip-side of this is, that, personally, I am very uncomfortable visiting any 'new' places in Thailand. I will only visit places that I went to in the early days of travelling to/in Thailand, which is absolutely contrary to my travel habits in the rest of the world...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

He has to clear 14,000 baht each day just to break even?

Yes ..... the food vendors pay him a commission if they sell food to people using his area, but he made a significant loss last year.

• Haha 1

Is there anything stopping you from bringing your own deck chair and  sitting undisturbed where ever you like?   I'm assuming you either drove a bike or car to the beach so you could drop off  the chair there when finished.

How long did you actually spend using the vendor's deckchair.   Was it 10 minutes or 45?

Edited by In Full Agreement
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

Yes, but if you look in the car you will see their Falang BF driving the car he paid for.

In any event, I think you are being a little picky on this.  100 b is the normal charge.  If you stay for free, I would say it is reasonable to think the time is limited.  Just my opinion, as others have said this seems to be desperate times for these vendors.

• Haha 1

It would appear to me that the deckchair/ coconut vendor

was simply setting out the ground rules of his particular,

individual operation, and in the manner peculiar to his

culture.

This affronted the OP's Eurocentric and delicate sensibilities, and who will never darken the vendor's doorstep again! Lol

6 hours ago, simon43 said:

In any case, If the vendor tells me the 'real' price before I sit down, and tells me that I have to pay extra if I want to sit longer than 10 minutes, then I'm all fine with that.  I can then decide whether or not to accept their offer.  But I have zero time for 'sneakiness', regardless of how little the sum involved is ????

My daily expenditure is 100 baht for the coconut drink....  That is 100 baht more than the vendors get if they <deleted> me off by lying to me.

I thought you moved to Laos to get away from all the problems in Thailand. What brings you back?

11 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

I thought you moved to Laos to get away from all the problems in Thailand. What brings you back?

Huh? The last time that I had 'ex-wife' problems in Thailand was around 2008....  I moved from Myanmar to Laos because I didn't want to renew my 5-year Elite Visa (it had almost expired when I left Myanmar).

Allanos "

It would appear to me that the deckchair/ coconut vendor

was simply setting out the ground rules of his particular,

individual operation, and in the manner peculiar to his

culture."

Or in other words "I tell you one thing and then tell you something different later after you have partaken under the first terms that I stated".   Ah yes, is that Thai culture? ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1