Memories of the Rocket Festival - a window into the crazier aspects of Thai culture!

webfact

7 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I've been living here for 16 years, and I haven't been here yet...:whistling:

I went to one in Chiang Mai last year.

Fairly impressive (Wat Doi Tairn end of every February).

IMG_20210226_114836.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watched one from the house I shared in Nong Saeng, Udon Province, They launched over the top of a Klong, and many never went to far up before splashing down, but to the crowd it was spectacular, and of course many were very intoxicated.

Yes the Yasothon Festival is exiting indeed.

However, it's extremely dangerous and only a few cops around busy in chatting with the locals.

You should be aware that people stuff and fill the rockets with gun powder - mixed by themselves - in front of you.

So watch it from a kind of distance If you love yourself.????

The Balloon festival at Singha Park in Chiang Rai is a more decorous affair.

Can't find the video of a Thai catherine wheel /helicopter firework the size of a house, dammit.

balloon1singhapark.jpg

balloon2singhapark.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Head to Phayathaen Park in Yasothon, NE Thailand, to see what I mean this weekend. Today, Saturday, there will be a huge parade of dances, cultural themes and floats with music volume cranked up to the max! Free booze is available (if not required) to tourists who smile....

I couldn't think of anything worse, deafening music surrounded by pished up people for  whole weekend. And risking death buy badly home made and aimed rockets. I certainty would not put my kids in danger of ruining their hearing or worse.   

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Red Forever said:

Thanks for giving the name of the poster this time.

It gave those with discerning taste a chance to save 10 minutes of our lives by swerving this drivel.

As I told you last week, the name of the poster was right there at the top of the article, just as it is this week. Seems you have a bad memory to go with your cynicism.

A few years back there was a vid of a flying saucer at one of these festivals that actually flew, not all that high or far, but fly it did.  It made me consider going to one but never got around to it. 

It's the odd things like this that betray an underlying madness in the culture, everywhere.  Like the guy somewhere in the back of beyond in Malaysia who started a religion that worships a giant teapot (I think it's sectarian sarcasm) or the Thai guy who uses a solar dish to roast chickens. 

I always tell people who are visiting Thailand for the 1st time, to keep in mind one very valuable concept. This place is NOT a foreign country. It is a distant planet! As long as you realize that, the zaniness of it all can be alot of fun. 

And for me one of my favorite parts is the NPF. The non predictability factor. Life in the US was rather boring. Very predictable. That can be stifling for some of us. Not here! I love that. 

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And for me one of my favorite parts is the NPF. The non predictability factor. Life in the US was rather boring. Very predictable. That can be stifling for some of us. Not here! I love that. 

I own a home in the US and am very comfortable. The most boring place on gods green earth. I'll never sell because it is pretty nice to have a place if thing go bonkers. But, it is the most boring, and worst place I have ever lived since I have been traveling the world.

Edited by garyk

14 hours ago, garyk said:

I own a home in the US and am very comfortable. The most boring place on gods green earth. I'll never sell because it is pretty nice to have a place if thing go bonkers. But, it is the most boring, and worst place I have ever lived since I have been traveling the world.

Totally agree. The US has some things going for it, but life there can be stiflingly boring and predictable. And the locals are just not as much fun these days. But, you should feel fortunate you had the vision to buy something at some point. Nice to have the flexibility, for sure. For those of us who do not own, and are not quite wealthy, it would never be an option to move back there. Not that I want to. Just about options and choices. 

• Like 1

A Bit late here Rooster !!! ? But well I was Busy with the Great Stock Market ???? “Educational Moments” last week !!!) … Amongst other things of course !!! @#$%^&*()(*&^%$#@ …

…Yes, I have been Banging on to my Family, and being seriously Po Pooed, and side Lined !!! for Years trying to get them to use Car seats for Children in our Car !!! ... to the point, where I just gave up, So well JAH ? ... Just Another Hassle ... TITW This is the world !!! …. NOT just Thailand. ... 

… But Well, back in 2019 and Pree when I was doing this, the wife used to have the babies, riding on her Laps in the front Seat !!! Like F' (That word !!! ???) .... I explained about them going through the wind screen, and landing on the road to be killed by other Vehicles if I had an accident, and they had made it out there alive in the first Place !!! …. But WAS severely chastised for "Foreigner Speaking Bad" ... Like never see the Tiger in the Jungle ? Right ??? …. or these days the child killed sitting in the front seat without any restraint at all !!!

…. But well I persevered, and I got the Wife to wear a seat belt, sighting that to kill the child by crushing him against the Dash Board would not look good for her !!! ... ….. (Apart from the 500B was it back then Fine for not wearing one !!! and they DID enforce that … Even though she blamed me for talking to the Cops when they pulled us over any way !!!  ….. But the Children STILL refused to wear seat belts, even only back in 2019 !!! ... But ...

BUT !!! When I got back here in January this Year !!! I found that I just had to say "Seat Belt" and the one in the front Put it ON … or he would even tell me !!! … and by Rule of Rod for sure I suspect !!! … So some time in the last 2 Years I think that the Thai school system, or the Government TV stations HAVE got through to them, about Seat Belts and Road Safety !!! …. As well their attitudes seem to have just Totally Changed !!! 

… Though well the child in the front seat only can have the lap sash on, as they are sooo short for the shoulder straps, (It would probably take their heads off !!!) …. but well at least it is a GOOD start (Though I am not so sure that just the Lap Strap would keep them in for too long, in a serious head on collision ??? … Though well it WOULD probably slow things down, and stop them getting thrown out, and on to the road. ??? I am hoping.

And well I have got them to use them in the back seat a bit to also and at least have them out now, from under the seat, and operational !!! … So well, Great Advancement !!! I do think. ... and the Thai's CAN do things, …. and do them well !!! … When they want to !!!

So a child almost 5 ??? and a recalcitrant Wife ?????? I will consider looking at Car Seats !!! When / If I can. !!! ... Exceptionally Good Things for Children !!!

(Putting, Stronger Steel mesh on our Doors !!! … To stop the Grand Daughters Bloody Cats getting in a Night !!! … sometimes with very smelly consequences … Like contemplating Cats in Outer Space ??? … a “Boot Launch” of course, you could say !!! …. Without a space suits of course, ….. now being my current Problem !!! Yes !!! … This Is Thailand !!! )