Teen gets washing powder instead of a phone after ordering online - always open your package

webfact

Happens.   Spent over 100,000 in Facebook marketplace over many years. One item defective.   3000.   60000 above expectations.   The rest fine.   Trying to get deals…..I’ll get burnt.   If too burnt, I’ll stop.   You really never know.  Go with guy on seller.  Check groups.  Check other items…..

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You can't open the package, but you can at least check it's the right size before paying.

I ordered a kitchen cabinet (approx weight 10-15Kg), when a small jiffy bag arrived I refused delivery.

Yes most of us would but if you ordered a phone that weighed approximately 400 grams and your package was 500 gram soap powder.

I always search for 4 stars or more with good comments, you pay a little more but guaranteed to receive your goods ordered. 

1 hour ago, Iamfalang said:

Facebook

I never buy off Facebook. 

They never offer COD and you're not protected. 

Lazada has protection. 

If I order something expensive I pay with my credit card. 

I had an issue with a refrigerator purchase on lazada, went to my Kasikorn branch, filled out the forms at service desk and a few weeks later my money was returned in full. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You can't open the package, but you can at least check it's the right size before paying.

I ordered a kitchen cabinet (approx weight 10-15Kg), when a small jiffy bag arrived I refused delivery.

You must have known something was amiss when the weight of the cabinet was only 10-15 kgs !! ???????? (I know)..... 

Seriously though...    CoD is for some, for others its a PITA if they are not home all the time.

I’m not sure if the girl used Lazada or an official vendor or was cheated through a direct sale (i.e. via FB market place etc).

Edited by richard_smith237

4 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

The size and weight of the package should have been a give away...

I have certainly had stuff arrive in oversized packaging here...  also had plenty of incorrect items.... happened a lot actually. Yep check before pay if COD!

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Anyway, I heard you can't open the package prior to paying for items when COD. 

That's right, delivery drivers are there to collect cash and deliver packages, not to return to the depot with the liability of opened parcels.

14 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yep check before pay if COD!

Usually not allowed.  You can't take possession of an item from the driver and open it without paying,  they're supposed to get the cash before releasing the item.   Yes, yes, I know, so many Thaivisa posters claim that they do it anyway even though every delivery company says that it is not permitted.

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Usually not allowed.  You can't take possession of an item from the driver and open it without paying,  they're supposed to get the cash before releasing the item.   Yes, yes, I know, so many Thaivisa posters claim that they do it anyway even though every delivery company says that it is not permitted.

I recall that was a possibility..... I personally do not use COD but Mrs does. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

She advised people to always check that goods are correct before paying

21 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yep check before pay if COD!

The delivery person won't let you open the parcel unless you pay him before.

You could of course ask the delivery person to watch (or for him to film it while you open it), after you paid him, in case you find washing powder instead of a phone, you do at least have an independent witness. But in this case the delivery person still wouldn't give you back your money, you would have to go through Lazada/Shopee, etc.

Personally I always check the seller ratings when I buy something online and I buy only from established sellers. Recently I wanted to buy a specific phone and that was not available at the phone brand store or established phone resellers. It was, at least in theory, available from unknown new stores and sometimes for cheap. Did I order there? Of course not. Why should a nobody be able to sell something for a good price that all the real shops don't offer.

Just be realistic and think twice from whom you order.

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why should a nobody be able to sell something for a good price that all the real shops don't offer.

I've just purchased 6  packets of flavoured rolling papers from China.

Under 20bht each instead of the normal 60bht .......... god knows what will arrive.

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

She tried to play it safe by COD, but did not follow up and open it in front of the rider so pictures could be taken.  In the end would the rider/delivery person been responsible for the payment or what.  The GF had this happen with something she ordered.  She then went to the police and filed a report with all of the documented messages and such.  The police froze the sellers account while they investigated the case.  The seller instead threatened my GF in another message at which time we went back to the police station.  The police then called the seller and made her come into the station to explain herself.  After the seller blew the police off twice they charged her with fraud.  In the end the seller apologized to my GF and refunded her the money and pleaded with her to have the case dropped and the account unfrozen as she could not survive without her money.  The police did more follow-up on the sellers account with other folks who had ordered and found many more fraud cases which the people had never complained about.......1 year later my GF received a letter which apparently the seller had been ordered by the court to send out to her victims as an apology.  Not sure what ever occurred with the case as far as the seller being fined or whatever.

I think I order too much on line sometimes. When the driver comes with your goods and you pay the money he's gone, no time to open the package and say this is wrong. Lucky for me it's all been good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I never buy off Facebook. 

They never offer COD and you're not protected. 

Lazada has protection. 

If I order something expensive I pay with my credit card. 

I had an issue with a refrigerator purchase on lazada, went to my Kasikorn branch, filled out the forms at service desk and a few weeks later my money was returned in full. 

I successfully buy from facebook, but ONLY when the seller allows me to meet up to verify the item. If they refuse to meet, it's goodbye from me. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Always buy from a 'store' with a long history. Never buy from the lowest price provider, unless it's a store with a long history.

I wonder where the buyer saw the advert. I use Lazada and the sellers have an approval rating. I did once order something from an advert on Facebook and the product was not as described. I'd paid via PayPal and they got my money back for me. The item came from China, not surprisingly. I always avoid buying anything from China if possible, but in Thailand that's a bit of a challenge.

• Like 1