Lost Data Recovery ?????? CM

ajnamoon

Hi There 

Anyone know  if there are Data Recovery Labs in Thailand  preferably in Chiang Mai   or reliable software to recover Data  from windows 7  Hard Drive 

After reinstalling Windows 7 all data on drive disappeared

Thanks 

19 hours ago, ajnamoon said:

Hi There 

Anyone know  if there are Data Recovery Labs in Thailand  preferably in Chiang Mai   or reliable software to recover Data  from windows 7  Hard Drive 

Thanks 

You'll need qphotorec and external storage>

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, fdsa said:

because it was the last good operating system made by Microsoft.

Windows 7 End of Support Info - Microsoft

As of January 14, 2020, your computer running Windows 7 will still function but Microsoft will no longer provide the following:

• Technical support for any issues
  • Software updates
  • Security updates or fixes
Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Did you try W8, 10 and 11?

yes, no, no

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

What does W7 do which 11 doesn't?

runs perfectly fine in a 1 GB RAM 4 GB storage virtual machine; does NOT stress the hard drive constantly; does NOT spend the valuable mobile traffic by sending tons of data to Microsoft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, fdsa said:

yes, no, no

runs perfectly fine in a 1 GB RAM 4 GB storage virtual machine; does NOT stress the hard drive constantly; does NOT spend the valuable mobile traffic by sending tons of data to Microsoft.

And on which operating system is the virtual machine running please?

You would be unable to run many programs on a 1GB/4GB machine or store anything.

Anyone know  if there are Data Recovery Labs in Thailand  preferably in Chiang Mai 

Pantip plaza is the way to go. Just ask around and someone should be able to help. If you just accidentally quick formatted the drive for a fresh install and the drive isn't damaged or encrypted recovery should be simple. That shouldn't cost more then 6000 baht and honestly even if you're not tech savvy you could probably follow a guide yourself - you'd just need a live usb / adequate storage for the files you want to save.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Years back I had a hard drive crash and was unrepairable, I figured the old computer was outdated and it was time for a full system upgrade, when I bought all new PC hardware and took them to a small neighborhood computer shop to assemble, he asked me if I wanted him to get what ever he could recover from the busted hard drive, I said sure and he was able to retrieve all my photos. 

So I'm guessing any neighborhood computer shop can do it, find one and ask. 

Edited by bbko

15 minutes ago, bbko said:

Years back I had a hard drive crash and was unrepairable, I figured the old computer was outdated and it was time for a full system upgrade, when I bought all new PC hardware and took them to a small neighborhood computer shop to assemble, he asked me if I wanted him to get what ever he could recover from the busted hard drive, I said sure and he was able to retrieve all my photos. 

So I'm guessing any neighborhood computer shop can do it, find one and ask. 

Do it yourself with Recuva.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

And on which operating system is the virtual machine running please?

Linux, of course!

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

You would be unable to run many programs on a 1GB/4GB machine or store anything.

I run Microsoft Office without any issues (the only purpose of that VM btw).

If some program needs more space I could create a virtual machine with a larger storage. My point is - I'm not wasting 20 GB space for just the operating system itself, let alone the extra RAM and CPU time for all the unnecessary Microsoft cráp introduced in Windows 10.

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, fdsa said:

Linux, of course!

I run Microsoft Office without any issues (the only purpose of that VM btw).

If some program needs more space I could create a virtual machine with a larger storage. My point is - I'm not wasting 20 GB space for just the operating system itself, let alone the extra RAM and CPU time for all the unnecessary Microsoft cráp introduced in Windows 10.

I take your point, but 20GB for W11 on a 1TB SSDS makes no difference at all.

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I take your point, but 20GB for W11 on a 1TB SSDS makes no difference at all.

OK, does wasting extra 1GB of RAM on all the unnecessary cráp introduced since Windows 10 makes any difference?

I understand that some people might have terabyte of RAM at home, but we modest laptop people sometimes could not install more than 16GB due to the platform limitations.

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2022 at 7:11 AM, ajnamoon said:

probably got formatted at install, might a bit too late, the new system files have probably overwritten a lot of your old data

I think you are done, but there is a free tool that recover old files on NTFS partition for Win7/10/11, it can take forever to run, and sometimes, if the File Allocation Table is gone, it will do a raw dump of the file without the filename or the right extension.

Always backup your data when installing a new windows on your existing Windows, or disconnect any USB or external drives in case you get confused during the installation process.

These words have been said for over 50 years by IT professionals, and yet people still don't listen ????

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, fdsa said:

OK, does wasting extra 1GB of RAM on all the unnecessary cráp introduced since Windows 10 makes any difference?

I understand that some people might have terabyte of RAM at home, but we modest laptop people sometimes could not install more than 16GB due to the platform limitations.

I think you are getting confused with RAM and storage. 16GB of RAM is plenty for W11.

40 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I think you are getting confused with RAM and storage. 16GB of RAM is plenty for W11.

I mean that dedicating 1GB RAM out of 16 total to a Windows 7 virtual machine is much better then dedicating 2GB+ to a Windows 10+ virtual machine for running the very same tasks. Newer Windows versions just uselessly waste the system resources.

While wasting 20GB extra HDD space might be not that significant for some, I consider wasting an extra gig or two of RAM as significant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2022 at 6:11 PM, ajnamoon said:

Hi There 

Yes! PM me!

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

I mean that dedicating 1GB RAM out of 16 total to a Windows 7 virtual machine is much better then dedicating 2GB+ to a Windows 10+ virtual machine for running the very same tasks. Newer Windows versions just uselessly waste the system resources.

While wasting 20GB extra HDD space might be not that significant for some, I consider wasting an extra gig or two of RAM as significant.

I'm with you here. Not really concerned about security if it's a vm and you're just using it for office to avoid wine compatibility issues on linux...just liking the look and feel of Windows 7 would be reason enough to choose it over more modern versions in this case.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RedBackman said:

I'm with you here. Not really concerned about security if it's a vm and you're just using it for office to avoid wine compatibility issues on linux...just liking the look and feel of Windows 7 would be reason enough to choose it over more modern versions in this case.

Why run a VM just for Office, when you can run the program , Open Office which comes with Linux and is the same as MS Office.

27 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Why run a VM just for Office, when you can run the program , Open Office which comes with Linux and is the same as MS Office.

That's a whole different discussion but the obvious answer is someone is a power user with one program and doesn't want to have to relearn those skills on a new program, or they need perfect compatibility with Office suite for their work pipeline. I'm fine with libreoffice but I've definitely had to rewrite macros between excel and calc. If your entire workplace is using Office suite you don't want to be the worker to throw that wrench in the gears.

Personally I daily drive linux and only regularly use a Windows vm for Adobe suite stuff - mainly because GIMP can't really compare to Photoshop for my needs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RedBackman said:

That's a whole different discussion but the obvious answer is someone is a power user with one program and doesn't want to have to relearn those skills on a new program, or they need perfect compatibility with Office suite for their work pipeline. I'm fine with libreoffice but I've definitely had to rewrite macros between excel and calc. If your entire workplace is using Office suite you don't want to be the worker to throw that wrench in the gears.

Personally I daily drive linux and only regularly use a Windows vm for Adobe suite stuff - mainly because GIMP can't really compare to Photoshop for my needs.

OK, you've made a good point. I'll stick with my W11 as I cannot run Cakewalk Music DAW on Linux, you stay with your Linux. Cheers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Open/Libre Office is not the same as MS Office. It is good only for .odt "open document format", but when it comes to Microsoft proprietary .doc/.docx then Open/Libre Office trashes all the data - misplaces tables, text placement, fonts, etc.

And unfortunately the .doc/.docx format is the industry standard.

Edited by fdsa

5 minutes ago, fdsa said:

Open/Libre Office is not the same as MS Office. It is good only for .odt "open document format", but when it comes to Microsoft proprietary .doc/.docx then Open/Libre Office trashes all the data - misplaces tables, text placement, fonts, etc.

And unfortunately the .doc/.docx format is the industry standard.

Is there not an option in those programmes to save files in Microsoft Office format, eg docx etc.

19 hours ago, fdsa said:

I agree with that, but the western state of mind is to waste resources and to oversize everything

ridiculous,