"ATM scam" - myth or reality ?

2 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

I agree with those who feel that 220฿ is much too high for the "privilege" of accessing your funds.

...and yet my USA bank charges an additional $5 USD for each ATM transaction I do here in Thailand because the ATM machine is not one of theirs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

52 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

The real scam is when your Thai bank (Bangkok Bank) charges you a fee when you deposit funds into your account outside the providence you opened your account in.

Nope, that is also not a scam.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

The real scam is when your Thai bank (Bangkok Bank) charges you a fee when you deposit funds into your account outside the providence you opened your account in.

Yes, charges you money to deposit money!

10 THB for every 10k THB deposited but yet charged 60 THB when you deposit 50k THB.....Go figure that one out.

Thats all covered in the terms and conditions that you agreed to.

How is it a scam ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Ive done the bank trick they point me to the atm--I say i need more than atm will give aand that im buying a mbike for my thai gf(lie)

Just go inside.
Talk to manager and start crying.
Girlfriend's buffalo needs urgent facelift.
Wife's brother needs a new suit for his work interview.

Wife has a new business idea. Guaranteed return of 175% on return.

You will see how quick branch manager swipes your card.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

Yes, charges you money to deposit money!

10 THB for every 10k THB deposited but yet charged 60 THB when you deposit 50k THB.....Go figure that one out.

I go in and deposit 9999 Baht. Out and in again and repeat.????

26 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

I go in and deposit 9999 Baht. Out and in again and repeat.????

Sure you do.... It's a 20 THB charge when using a teller to do a deposit into a different providence's branch. Plus a 10 THB charge for anything up to the first 10k.

No need to lie.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is it a scam if banks want a little money for the service they provide?

Imagine there would be no ATMs or similar services in Thailand, how much would you be willing to pay to get your money without flying back home?

There were still loads of ATMs back before there was such a charge. It started in 2005 to 2007 or so. Before then there was no charge for foreign cards.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BudRight said:

There were still loads of ATMs back before there was such a charge. It started in 2005 to 2007 or so. Before then there was no charge for foreign cards.

And your point is?

That if years ago a service was free that is has to be free forever?

There was also a time when people received reasonable interest on their money in the bank...

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

This time and effort to simply save 220thb or whatever?

My God ????

My first taxed job of work, on which my notions of economics were based, paid $1.00/hour. Yes, 220 baht ,or roughly $7.00, seems excessive. Take out enough to last awhile, or if "in country" get a local account. Bkk Bank has no ATM fees if I use their machines. Also I use direct deposit, so the other international fees are pretty low.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

Yeah right, cry me a river ????

Card processing systems aren't cheap either you know. Yet nobody is charged 200THB to be able to use them in shops and restaurants.

That ATM fee is BS. Can't wait for day fintech is gonna disrupted all this. It's coming and those lazy idiots won't be prepared for it.

I'm wondering if the same amount would be charged if the card is chinese... ????

I don't know how fintech is going to disrupt ATM networks in Thailand in the near future.

Someone, somewhere has to pay for the ATM network and that someone will always be the customer.

Fintech will undoubtedly kill off ATMs that dispense cash eventually, but not just yet. Thailand is heavily cash dependent, with a considerable percentage of people with no bank account. NFC payments in Bangkok are still in their genesis.

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Try and find a friendly Krungsri and withdraw inside, if you say have no pin cannot use ATM it helps, because you sign and show passport

Thanks Scubascuba. That's actually a pretty neat trick. I'll try it if I decide to go back to Thailand ????????

Edited by Baron Samedi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Baron Samedi said:
12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Try and find a friendly Krungsri and withdraw inside, if you say have no pin cannot use ATM it helps, because you sign and show passport

Thanks Scubascuba. That's actually a pretty neat trick. I'll try it if I decide to go back to Thailand

Last time I did the "great Thai cash advance inside bank ATM fee bypass swindle", they still needed me to input my PIN on their POS card reader. Not like back in the good old days when it was all done with a special, multi-foil transaction slip on that clunky contraption that only needed your signature.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

How many other countries have you been too ?? Have you tried withdrawing money with your foreign ( to them ) ATM card ???, you will get charged in every other country, you're obviously a newbie at this international travelling thingy 555555 ????????????????

Not True.

First of all it doesn't depend on the country but on the ATM operator. In some countries you'll find banks that don't charge anything.

And when they do charge, it's rarely some extravagant figure like 7$ per transaction ???? (if I remember well, the world average for ATM operator fees when traveling is 3$)

That being said, it might be about time for Thailand to enter the 21th century and offer decent digital payment options. I should be able to pay street food vendors with my phone in 2022.

The root cause of this nonsense is laziness.

Legacy businesses not willing to embrace technology because... well... let's keep fxxxxxx people up the xxx, it's so much easier.

Edited by Baron Samedi
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Last time I did the "great Thai cash advance inside bank ATM fee bypass swindle", they still needed me to input my PIN on their POS card reader. Not like back in the good old days when it was all done with a special, multi-foil transaction slip on that clunky contraption that only needed your signature.

It must vary, Krungsri didn't, Kasikorn did, maybe depends on branches also

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

For starters, 4 obvious ones:

1) Charging for an ATM and/or Debit Card;

2) Charging transaction fees if one is not in the province of the Home bank;

3) Charging a fee to receive SMS notification of a transaction;

4) As pointed out in the thread, overcharging for ATM withdrawals.

Having a smartphone will reduce/eliminate a lot of fees.

1.  you can use a smartphone and do a cardless withdrawal from your own bank's ATM's

2. most transactions not involving currency can be done for free on bank's app.

3. the bank's smartphone app will use a free "notification" to inform you of transactions

4. I think the fees posters are complaining about are for withdrawals from foreign banks

• Like 1