Opposition Bloc To Hammer Air Force’s Plan To Purchase Unarmed F-35 Fighters

webfact

3 minutes ago, aussienam said:

You really believe in a war that Thailand will support the West?  How about WWII?  It quickly surrendered to the Japanese and became allies.  It then declared war against the West for a period until the Japanese were A-Bombed and then backflipped allegiance.  

China has Thailand in a wrist-lock of obedience. At the moment Thailand plays the neutrality stance.  But I would be placing bets on Thailand more likely aligning with China (which is where a large war would most likely start from).  

Do you really think WW2 has any relevance now?

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Or an 'observation' blimp that could be shot down with a .22 rifle.

Or my favourite, bomb detectors that were actually novelty golf ball finders. 

Missile system with fire control software that predated DOS.

There's a saying in business circles: "The deal was so dirty we had to leave it for the [insert wine drinking garlic eating nationality]" The person who told me that said he was pitching his system peering over the top of cases of wine in the persons office.

Edited by mokwit

11 hours ago, mikebell said:

All of this wasted money spent on defence against who?  In my new book 'Noodles at Noon' I carefully explain to the Generals AKA The Government that an invasion at 12 noon would result in the Thai military being completely overrun as the whole country is shut; all administration ceases; roads are impassable; companies closed.  Only noodle sellers work.

I have offered this book to the forum but I am still waiting a response.

Back in the 70's when I worked with the RAF and Navy servicing F4's we used to say exactly the same about UK weekends. Everybody went home at the weekend leaving a skeleton staff and cooks to man the airbases. One major NATO excercise we took part in had to be abandoned beause all our aircraft became unusable we couldn't sustain the pressure.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ozimoron said:

since when?

Buying the aircraft without weapons does make a lot of sense. Firstly, it gets pilots trained to use up to date aircraft. Secondly, it allays any fears that sensitive weapons systems may fall into the hands of Chinese or Russians and it allays fears of a regional arms race. Finally, it would not be huge stretch to arm these aircraft in the event of a war in which Thailand would likely support the US and its allies. If that weren't the case they would be buying Chinese jets not American jets.

Managing the weapons fit and all the associated electronic equipment is an integral part of the skills required to successfully fly modern combat aircraft. Without that training, practice with and mastery of the weapon systems the pilot is little more than a "driver, airframe, B2"

To fit weapon systems, train the pilots and the ground crews would be a considerable stretch, especially as the weapon systems, people to fit them and people to train the pilots on them would have to be in provided by the USA, and in wartime or lead up to war they would probably have been other calls on their time.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

The F35 is a vastly over rated, and vastly expensive single engine Jet fighter. Its only

plus is that it is stealthier than some of the older models. There are a lot of other Makes and models of

jets that Thailand could buy to replace its F16. It is too bad that everyone thinks that the F35 is

a necessary jet to own.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RobU said:

Back in the 70's when I worked with the RAF and Navy servicing F4's we used to say exactly the same about UK weekends. Everybody went home at the weekend leaving a skeleton staff and cooks to man the airbases. One major NATO excercise we took part in had to be abandoned beause all our aircraft became unusable we couldn't sustain the pressure.

Thailand is still firmly rooted in the 70's; not sure which Century though.is 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mikebell said:

Thailand is still firmly rooted in the 70's; not sure which Century though.is 

I agree but my feeling is it is more like the 50's entering into the 60's when tradition was still important to the working classes and people did not challenge their place in society. Drink driving wasn't an offence and the rich and famous got away with criminal activity because they were fully in control of the police and the judiciary

On 5/30/2022 at 9:29 AM, Thailand said:

My dear old mum was a regular user of "innit" many many years before any form of social media.

My wife picked it up from mum and regularly uses "innit" in conversation much to many peoples amusement.

So, from my perspective the usage is acceptable- "innit"?

It is "ISNT" it? 555

58 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Due to the lack of a weapons system the console and the head up display will use the latest game console (or the cheapest copy from Lazada) with a hooky copy of the latest software. It will also require a permanent link to the internet, thus destroying the stealth part of the F35.

I don't expect that the stealth part of the aircraft's capabilities are of any interest. After all, the Air Force top brass (and indeed all the Generals) will wish to show them off -here we are, look at these, don't they inspire lots of "awe"?

I seem to remember much the same arguments being made for the Submarines - again a bit silly for a weapon system which relies on remaining hidden to work.

• Haha 1