Tourist Police in Pattaya

bbko

10 hours ago, ericthai said:

yes your are 100% correct, no need for foreign volunteers as the RTP speak perfect English, German, Dutch etc.

Oh and the RTP also completely understand other cultures too and would never side with a Thai.... 

I sincerely hope that you are being sarcastic.   why should they?  Do you think US or UK cops speak Dutch German French Swahili, Thai, Mandarin, of course they don't and there is no reason for them to do so.  In addition the real Thai Tourist Police do speak additional languages and show an appropriate flag on their arms to alert tourists to that fact.   There is no need for the Walter Mitty types at all, surplus to requirements and a waste of oxygen.   

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Take yourself for example... It seems to actually anger you that there are people who volunteer with the Thai Police to help tourists.

I'm not all angry about them, I am  dismissive of them and slightly embarrassed by them in the eyes of the Thais.  I am also amused by them, as I am for funny animals in the zoo, or clowns in a circus. Come on; retired old western men, dressed as pretend Thai cops and prancing around on nights when they should be at home with their family, enjoying a gainful retirement; that has got to be as funny as hell. 

• Haha 1

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/pattaya-grapevine-prostitutes-on-beach-road-400597

There are two operational groups in Pattaya: FTPA (Foreign Tourist Police Assistants based on Walking Street) and FPV (Foreign Police Volunteers based in the main police station). They hate being mixed up by the way. Both provide special ID cards and work permits are not required. Much of the work is translating or explaining, but the volunteers are not police officers and should act only under the authority of a regular Thai cop.

On 6/2/2022 at 6:21 AM, bbko said:

Posters here are the least of my worries...555.

My Impression was back then 15 - 10 years ago, they where involved in many cases involving money changing hands, and a few of the volunteers was exploiting their position. Not sure how it is now. 

Edited by Hummin

On 6/4/2022 at 2:38 AM, bbko said:

The level of negativity here is to be expected.  I'm neither a wanna-be or on a power trip. 

Some here think me wanting to donate a few hours a week (using my past 24 years of military/paramedic background) is some sort of power trip...555. 

If you don't like the foreign tourist police volunteers, so be it, I'm not here to try and change your mind. Think what you want, I'll do what I want.

Cheers.

I think it will come down to your standard, and what you can and will accept when it comes to what you will experience of stupidity from tourists,  and also the corruption that comes with police in Thailand, and possible corrupt tourist police who exploit their possibilities when they can. 

If the troop is clean and have good standard, and volunteers who is decent people and can be rewarding work. 

If you discover corruption among your fellow volunteers, what will you do, is the question you have to ask yourselves before you start, I think that would have been my biggest issue joining. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hummin said:

My Impression was back then 15 - 10 years ago, they where involved in many cases involving money changing hands, and a few of the volunteers was exploiting their position. Not sure how it is now. 

I think that was always the TPV, who have been somewhat superfluous for 2 years during Covid.