Tourist Police in Pattaya

bbko

Here's something I've been thinking about,  being a Pattaya Tourist Police volunteer.  I'm a retired military paramedic, living in Thailand for the past 15 years, and have a decent understanding of the language and Thais/foreigners. "Working" a few days a week helping tourist and seeing some action up front seems better than sitting home or in the bars.

Anyone have insight to being a Tourist Police volunteer? TIA.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I don't think they are operating at the moment? They were pretty much out of work since 2020 when the party was shut down by Covid.

Yes I think you are correct wrt Tourist Police Volunteers, the others, Foreign Police Assistants, still help at the Police Stations, mostly translating. Tourism must be picking up as the ones in the station tell me they are getting busier, and there are more zany goings on. 

52 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Thailand's Tourist Police are part of the RTP!   Volunteers don't become police officers, though.

Apologies for wrong info, I didn't know that in Sept 2017 they were "enveloped" into the RTP, prior to that they were part of the Sports and Tourism Ministry.

My comment was really intended as a query on the status of the individuals "extension of stay" and need or not for a work permit.

55 minutes ago, lahgon29 said:

I was an ambulance paramedic until I retired her 10 years ago. I noticed that nearly every batch of newbies had a failed copper in it. You know, starched his uniform, carried the mag light holstered, wore aviators, etc.. Couldn't get into the cops 'cos they recognised the guy was a over the top nut job, so, not giving up on their dream of power, they tried something else in a uniform.

They never lasted long.

I've met a few tourist police in Pattaya, and Udon, where I live. More than a few remind me of the losers who joined the ambos.

Just my observations.. 

...we all don't dream the same dream...their intentions hopefully are/were good.

No work permit needed - ID Card issued, No extra extension of stay ""bonus"".

Several government programs issue ID Card so no work permit needed.  I also taught English under a program set up by Thailands Late King - ID card issued

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Thailand's Tourist Police are part of the RTP!   Volunteers don't become police officers, though.

Then it should be clear that there nothing more than translators. And me - as a German - speak English in Pattaya. No need for a German volunteer ever to come close to me. 

7 hours ago, bbko said:

Pattaya Tourist Police volunteer.  

Is there such a thing. 

I've never seen foreigner volunteers working at the tourist police station or out and about. 

They do have foreign volunteers at Pattaya Police Station soi 9.

https://www.fpvpattaya.com/

They take applications on this site. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

2 minutes ago, Satcommlee said:

I often wonder if people would still be so keen if the uniform was a yellow t-shirt with smiley face, with "Tourist assistant" printed above it.

I would wear that t-shirt with pride,that is exactly where the volunteers are for.

• Like 2