Huge queues at THAI counter at Bangkok airport

webfact

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Can’t answer about Dubai... But Qatar Airways transferred my bags within 40mins a couple of weeks ago. 

I was supposed to have a 1hr 15 min layover. flight from BKK was 30 mins late. 

I walked off one flight, straight onto another.  Wheels touching tarmac to bum on seat of next flight 35ms. Gate staff assured me that my check-in bag would make it (I figured BS, no chance), I was surprised to see my baggage upon arrival. 

It can be done and it can be done well (any business), but when staff are entitled and want to go on strike for more pay (i.e. UK) after being paid for 2 years while not working, or while ineffective people are employed in positions of decision making because of their connections etc then we will continue to see these sorts of failures. 

Dubai Airport?... I imagine its very busy, but as always runs like clockwork.

Same in Moscow, my fight to geneva was going 40mins earlier, when I arrived at the airport from bangkok, they were looking for me and told me to hurry, made me pass every security first and almost run to my next fight, must have been 20mins max, and my bagage followed me, so yes if they want to they can.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Ummmm, actually increasing prices by x5 - X10 would reduce travelers and solve long queues IMO...

The prices go up when there is high demand, they go down when there is low demand, so they're already fully booked, hence the higher prices.

17 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Damn, I was planning to take a few for my hiking holidays in Oz and NZ (where there are no sockets). Guess, instead of relying on my phone, I'll have to buy a couple old-school maps there. - Welcome to the early 1990s...

Power banks were no issue before the pandemic. Why now?

You can take a power bank with you in your carry-on. Not in checked luggage. I don't remember when the ban started, but there were a few instances of power banks catching fire spontaneously.

But it would be great to see someone hiking with a paper map, again. I love those memories, for the most part. One exception: when Lonely Planet had a map of an atoll in the Cook Islands printed with the scale wrong by a factor of two. I had to be rescued by boat at darkness.

Edited by arithai12
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Damn, I was planning to take a few for my hiking holidays in Oz and NZ (where there are no sockets). Guess, instead of relying on my phone, I'll have to buy a couple old-school maps there. - Welcome to the early 1990s...

Power banks were no issue before the pandemic. Why now?

Not sure why now, but if I'm not mistaken generally there's a 100wh size limit per battery. 

5 hours ago, arithai12 said:

You can take a power bank with you in your carry-on. Not in checked luggage. I don't remember when the ban started, but there were a few instances of power banks catching fire spontaneously.

But it would be great to see someone hiking with a paper map, again. I love those memories, for the most part. One exception: when Lonely Planet had a map of an atoll in the Cook Islands printed with the scale wrong by a factor of two. I had to be rescued by boat at darkness.

Wow! Checking your paper map for errors isn't something you'd expect to have to do! Pleased all ended well nevertheless.

13 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Bs, It's under staffing.

Absolutely. Pre-Covid I remember that at Ringway one in five outgoing passengers hand luggage was physically searched in front of you. It wasn't a secret, it happened to me a couple of times and the security guys explained that was the reason. I always took very little but it seemed to take a long time. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Just flew 1 domestic to BKK and international from there late last month. No problem with my power bank

Both my neice's had mobile 'phone power banks in their hand luggage. Only one was pulled and the power queried. The security lady said it was over the limit and confiscated it. Maybe they can spot the likely ones on X-Ray or could it just have been coincidence?

On 6/4/2022 at 9:56 AM, The Fugitive said:

The queues were longer than pre-Covid, that was very evident. You're correct, nothing asked re; vaccinations. Another thing that was different to pre-Covid days was that they weighed our carry on bags (all together, there were 4 of us on the booking). We were 4kg over the 4 X 7kg and Mrs had to pay 1,100 baht. Security at X-Ray pulled out a mobile 'phone power bank and queried it's size? My neice now has no power bank!   

Must be contagious I flew business last month and my powerbank got souvenired as well. Same excuse too big. I'm used to that in Thailand but generally not over the size of my powerbank!

Old mate went to throw it in the bin I said you should keep it mate lol

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jun/01/ba-and-easyjet-cancel-more-than-150-flights-as-travel-chaos-continues

We do chaos, disorder and bad service much  better in UK! Especially  Manchester  Airport!

MAN has been urging pax to arrive at least three hours ahead of their departure time.

AMS Schiphol now suggests at least four hours although KLM's website has been saying four hours for quite a while already.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

MAN has been urging pax to arrive at least three hours ahead of their departure time.

AMS Schiphol now suggests at least four hours although KLM's website has been saying four hours for quite a while already.

Ridiculous.... longer than many of the flights. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 3:36 PM, webfact said:

Staff said there were 1,000 people waiting. 

Fah advised arriving five hours ahead of time.

You can checkout anytime you like but you may never leave ????

Just another good reason to avoid flying Thai. I avoid them. I do not find them excellent, on any level. Prefer EVA (out of commission now, due to Taipei being closed for transit) ANA, Japan Airlines and a few others. I find Singapore Air to be over rated, also. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1