Dual Pricing Reconfirmed In Thailand National Parks

webfact

On 6/6/2022 at 4:12 AM, Thechook said:

If we thought of doing this in Australia we would be branded racist and face fines.  No matter where you come from even Thailand you pay the same as locals.

Exept the Royal Melbourne golf club. Charged me 5000 baht more than an Australian guest, who wasnt a Melbourne resident. 

Purely based on nationality, as it is here. 

However, I've got in many times for Thai price by showing drivers license or just speaking Thai. 

22 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

That's fair enough, if you don't integrate and are illiterate, you shouldn't get local prices. 

It's a bit like being asked to do an Irish jig before they will let you into Dublin Castle for the local price!

You advocate discriminating against Thais who cannot read and write... shame on you!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Foreigner National Pink ID Card available from Municipal or Interior Ministry with Foreigner House Registration Yellow Book.

National Parks might also accept Thai Drivers License ?
As that’s also a Govt. Photo ID accepted Everywhere Here.  
National Parks would otherwise be the ONLY Govt/ Private institution here NOT to accept TDL????

These pink cards are a joke for farang, they are for migrant workers. 

If you read the back, it says you can't leave the province without written consent, so only can go to parks in your province 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Nowhere is it based on the colour of your skin, certainty not in Thailand. 

So you're saying that a Thai National is not based upon their Skin Colour, but a Thai Resident or Citizenship with proof is not by the color of ones skin?  I see an oxymoron there.  Do you not have to show your Thai Citizenship ID card in some places t prove you are a citizen, or do they accept you without it because of the color of your skin and the fact you can read, write and speak, like so many other non resident expats can?  I think your deluding yourself a little bit.

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So you're saying that a Thai National is not based upon their Skin Colour, but a Thai Resident or Citizenship with proof is not by the color of ones skin?  I see an oxymoron there.  Do you not have to show your Thai Citizenship ID card in some places t prove you are a citizen, or do they accept you without it because of the color of your skin and the fact you can read, write and speak, like so many other non resident expats can?  I think your deluding yourself a little bit.

Under the Thai Constitution, it's illegal to discriminate on ethnicity or race. 

Yes, I've had to show my Thai ID in certain places to show I'm Thai, like the bank yesterday, but so would a brownskinned person. 

They actually asked me for my passport, but I said I didn't have one as I'm not going anywhere ????

Edited by Neeranam

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Yes, I've had to show my Thai ID in certain places to show I'm Thai, like the bank yesterday, but so would a brownskinned person. 

They actually asked me for my passport, but I said I didn't have one as I'm not going anywhere ????

So you were technically discriminated against right?

1 hour ago, thonglorjimmy said:

International and interstate visitors, who are members Reciprocal Clubs are extended playing rights aligned to their Club’s reciprocity agreement with Royal Melbourne, not by their nationalality.

An Australian guest living in Bali, shows their DL and gets in for 5000 baht less than a visiting Thai. It is based on Nationality. 

22 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I note you've cherry picked just one of the comments from TLJ, how about responding to the other points he's made?

I never cherry picked, he never said much else of interest. 

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You wrote "They actually asked me for my passport", they assumed you were a foreigner, ergo technically you were discriminated against as Thais never show a passport at the banks, only a Thai ID card with their bank book.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Exept the Royal Melbourne golf club. Charged me 5000 baht more than an Australian guest, who wasnt a Melbourne resident. 

Purely based on nationality, as it is here. 

However, I've got in many times for Thai price by showing drivers license or just speaking Thai. 

[you mentioned fees in a previous post]

$550 for a round of golf is so very expensive. Their balls must be made of gold. ????

After a quick Google search since I am not a golfer...

[in Australia]

Green fees of between $40 and $60 for 18 holes would be considered mid-range. Top-tier courses will be highly manicured with strict dress codes and excellent facilities, but cost upwards of $75 for a round of 18. Royal Adelaide, for example, is one of Australia's premier courses, setting visitors back $200 for a game.

15 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You wrote "They actually asked me for my passport", they assumed you were a foreigner, ergo technically you were discriminated against as Thais never show a passport at the banks, only a Thai ID card with their bank book.

This is not discrimination. 

If the bank had a policy where they asked white-skinned Thais to show their passport, that would be discrimination. 

I was asked for my passport by a teller who said she had never seen a farang with a Thai ID   big difference. 

18 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You should look up the definition of discrimination.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

So how do you account for the fact that when a Filipino friend visited me for a few days she was automatically asked to pay the local price, and admitted free to the Grand Palace, yet I who have lived here for fifteen years and have contributed to the Thai economy, was automatically charged five times that of a visitor of Asian appearance?

How old was your Filipino friend? 

I'm sure the ticket person had good reason to believe she was Thai. 

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

How old was your Filipino friend? 

I'm sure the ticket person had good reason to believe she was Thai. 

What would you consider a "good reason" to believe she was Thai?

She's in her forties.

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

This is not discrimination. 

If the bank had a policy where they asked white-skinned Thais to show their passport, that would be discrimination. 

I was asked for my passport by a teller who said she had never seen a farang with a Thai ID   big difference. 

You missed the point, she asked because she did not initially believe you, therefore technically discriminated against, and we will leave it at that...

Imagine you have a job in a ticket office of a park near Pattaya. 

You have been told by your boss that the policy is to let Thais in at a discounted rate. 

There are Chinese tourists who are obvious as they are usually in a tour group, so it's easy for you to charge them the normal price. 

There are fat, white guys in Chang vests, with young Isarn looking girls with tattoos.   Again, easy for you to charge the appropriate prices. 

There's a Chinese looking person, who you ask for their ID and find out they are a senior government official, and gives you a down-talking to for not thinking they are  Thai. 

It is much easier for you to see a Chinese looking person, or Filipino, or Vietnamese and just assume they are Thai as it is so much hassle trying to distinguish and ask for their IDs. 

In 5 years working there, you meet 2 farang with Thai ID. Would you assume that most farang in future don't have Thai ID?

When your Filipino friend gets in for the Thai price, you should be happy, not resentful. 

There's a famous blogger in Thailand who moves in high circles, having lunch with diplomats, and asked to take part in events by govt ministers. He's a prime example of entitlement and Colonial superiority, making a big noise of Thais getting discount in their own country. Personally, I think it's pathetic. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Discrimination can take all forms including between nationalities.

Discrimination against non-nationals, sometimes known as xenophobia

I've experienced a lot of discrimination in England, but not Thailand. 

On more than a few occasions, I was called a 'sweaty sock'. Another time, I was hit over the head with a beer bottle just for shouting out 'Will Carling is a '***** ****'.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I've experienced a lot of discrimination in England, but not Thailand. 

On more than a few occasions, I was called a 'sweaty sock'. Another time, I was hit over the head with a beer bottle just for shouting out 'Will Carling is a '***** ****'.

Whats that got to do with my post and the definition of discrimination. If you want other examples abroad I've also seen lots of discrimination in Scotland based on Religion

Edited by Bkk Brian

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

If you want other examples abroad I've also seen lots of discrimination in Scotland based on Religion

Tell me about it - I was brought up in Glasgow! The first thing I was asked was what school I went to or what team I supported.

This proves my point, discrimination is rife around the world but less so in Thailand. 

It's pathetic reading about white expat moaning about it. These people are highly-tolerated in Thailand, the land of tolerance. 

Try being a Burmese or Cambodian expat! Try being an Indian/Thai! 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 2