Foreigner in serious condition after crashing big racing bike on corner in Pattaya area

webfact

On 6/6/2022 at 2:20 PM, IamNoone88 said:

Until it is becomes illegal to rent a motorbike to a tourist or any-one who does not have a valid Thai motorcycle license (which may or not be the case here), then the carnage will continue. I see the road blocks fining tourists every day for not having a license or a helmet.

But the cause remains the rental companies giving out the bikes in the first place. Maybe one hand feeds the other .... but if you "want" to stop these accidents get  to the cause of the problem and eliminate it.

Making it "illegal to rent out a motorbike/car to a tourist (with or without a proper driver license)" will not end the carnage.
Just like applying the Death Penalty is not deterring murder.

Knowing the Traffic laws and applying the Traffic laws does a better job.
Foreigners and Thais.

People driving a big bike, speeding in a bend in a populated area, are missing some brain cells and are a potential danger to other people.

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Me, getting hot? All I did was point out the clues that you so obviously missed. Is that getting hot? Wow!

Have a nice day.

FAKE!   Whatever makes your moon shine everyday!  See today there is nothing you can say or do to rattle me it is a day I've been waiting for years.

This morning I just got the news I thought would never come just finished booking my flight home, my court day is set next month if all goes well the arguments have been made my conviction should be set aside by the judge due to evidence being tainted and manufacture. There is nothing they could do to give back the years I wrongfully spent, make no mistake I'm no saint but within 10 minutes the civil suit should be filed which in my case and many due to the cowards with a badge will never see the light in court I will like others be well compensated?

????  there is a lot of stuff I can say but we know why you responded!  Maybe you can meet me at the lake for some fishing we seem to have a lot in common?????

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2022 at 11:23 AM, overherebc said:

Tread is for wet roads. If it's dry, slicks are better.

For all the 'confused'.

This is sold as a road tyre and has in the description the words  'semi-slick'.

If you are confused the reason slicks are better in the dry is simply because there is more rubber in contact with the road.  

Some road tyres now have even less in the way of so called tread.

mono56493982-170317-02.jpg

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

O course it's the same bike lying on the same bit of road. Look at its position relative to the yellow line. Look at the position of the yellow line relative to join in the road surface. Look at the shape of the fuel stain. Even that matches. Compare these 3 details and you'll see that everything matches.

And one final question. Why fake it?

Perhaps one is of the real accident and the other is a stock photo.

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2022 at 11:10 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Perhaps next time if he does recover, he will put some new tyres on as that tread looks pretty worn, they are not slicks (racing tyres) from what I can see.

The road was bone dry, more tread wouldn't have helped him.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 11:28 AM, Excel said:

As a foreigner he was in theory breaking the law anyway as he had no id on him according to the article hence no passport on him so perhaps the next we will read perhaps is no insurance, expired visa etc etc 

...and perhaps not.   I don't carry my passport around with me yet my licence and insurance is current and I'm not on overstay.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Is it me or Thai wrong again with the reporting completely wrong. I see two photos of a bike accident the article specify the location none seem to be right nor is the spelling of the road correct! 

Picture of a white bike then one of blue in different locations.

It's you.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Does he?   How did you come to that conclusion, are you saying that experienced riders don't speed?   What a joke.

If they are experienced they should go to Bira circuit on open days and they can speed all they like. Also a good chance if they come off they will only hurt themselves.

16 hours ago, thailand49 said:

the photo of the blue with the guy standng over the bike is no where even close to where the ambulance and all the diretion signs?

Photos taken from opposite directions, one of which cannot show the ambulance because it's behind the photographer.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Perhaps one is of the real accident and the other is a stock photo.

It's got a blue tank and a white lower fairing. One pic is from the top (with the bike facing left) and one from the bottom (with the bike facing right).

It would have looked like this before it cartwheeled down the road.

image.png.6ec6c52e37468408139bd3b302ec33e9.png

Edited by JonnyF
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Excel said:

Are another brain dump. The road may have been dry when the photo was taken but how do you know he didn't touch a damp patch prior to that where a treaded tyre would have helped ? Sorry I forgot you are an expert in anything except everyday occurrences  obviously . That must be the most idiotic post so far in this thread so far.

A damp would have made little difference.

A slick motorcycle tire on a damp or wet surface is still better than a tire with tread - there is still more tire contact with a slick (but riding on the edge of the tires limits to need it would be idiotic).

The tread is to disperse standing water and avoid an aquaplane which in itself is very difficult for a motorcycle to achieve because of the tyre profile itself. 

All mute in reference to your comment...  the road clearly was not or had not been wet in the past few hours. You chose the wrong point to attack. 

In this case - the slick tyre made no difference unless it was aged and degraded rubber. 

The obvious cause is motorcyclist going too fast into a corner. 

30 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Does he?   How did you come to that conclusion, are you saying that experienced riders don't speed?   What a joke.

The obvious root cause is ‘lack of experience’...  experienced riders tend not to do this - although you’ll probably argue that too because it cant be proven. 

24 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Photos taken from opposite directions, one of which cannot show the ambulance because it's behind the photographer.

Agreed... its clear that the Tank of the bike is dark blue and the ‘under faring’ is white... 

Pretty obvious really... some guys must be looking at really small photos on their phones and jumping to silly conclusions. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, overherebc said:

Not here.  

To the sad posters. Been on bikes since I was 15/16 years old. Always big capacity machines. Rode her for about 4 weeks then decided there are too many FW's on the roads here so stopped riding.

A bike here is not fun.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

All mute in reference to your comment...  the road clearly was not or had not been wet in the past few hours. You chose the wrong point to attack. 

Guess no knowledge of what the road conditions were like is your main claim to fame. Ignorance of the fact that commercial vehicles have to go through a vehicle wash on leaving  a construction site, thus potentially dumping water on the road before the accident site, ice delivery vehicles venting water. Frankly you not only have no idea of what the road conditions were like prior to the incident occurring at that location nor what you are talking about with respect to tread on tyres illustrates the futility of your post.

11 minutes ago, Excel said:

Guess no knowledge of what the road conditions were like is your main claim to fame. Ignorance of the fact that commercial vehicles have to go through a vehicle wash on leaving  a construction site, thus potentially dumping water on the road before the accident site, ice delivery vehicles venting water. Frankly you not only have no idea of what the road conditions were like prior to the incident occurring at that location nor what you are talking about with respect to tread on tyres illustrates the futility of your post.

OK.. so you think the motorcyclist wasn’t speeding... but lost control because as there was water on the road and the lack of treat caused him to aquaplane and lose control ???

You really have no idea of what you are talking about - Tread is to disperse standing water. 

Tread doesn’t offer improved grip on a damp surface - it reduces tyre contact.

Tread doesn’t offer improved grip on a wet surface -  it reduces tyre contact.

Tread does improve grip on a very wet surface - it provides dispersal of the water to prevent aquaplaning and loss of traction / grip. 

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
3 hours ago, bbko said:

Why are many here assuming he's a tourist on a rental?

Because that's what they like to do here!

To be honest I assumed that... 

The reason why:

- Based on the reports over the years of many high-powered motorcycle accidents involving tourists on rented motorcycles. 

- Based on the fact that inexperienced riders are more likely to have an accident like this. 

- Based on the condition of the tires (a privately owned bike is more likely to have fresher tires). 

- Based on someone taking a corner too fast, didn’t know the road ?

Its an assumption thats all... which of course doesn’t make it fact or even correct, but as assumptions go, those who made the assumption that this was a tourist on a rented bike have made a fair one. 

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK.. so you think the motorcyclist wasn’t speeding... but lost control because as there was water on the road and the lack of treat caused him to aquaplane and lose control ???

You really have no idea of what you are talking about - Tread is to disperse standing water. 

Tread doesn’t offer improved grip on a damp surface - it reduces tyre contact.

Tread doesn’t offer improved grip on a wet surface -  it reduces tyre contact.

Tread does improve grip on a very wet surface - it provides dispersal of the water to prevent aquaplaning and loss of traction / grip. 

The more you post claiming what the road was like prior to the accident when you have no knowledge of it, the more you sound somewhat departed from actuality in assuming what you think is factual But carry on making yourself look foolish.

On 6/6/2022 at 5:32 AM, Excel said:

And illegal on most public roads in many countries, for example motorcycle tyres have to have a minimum 1 mm of tread in the UK.

1mm of tread is illegal in UK. Minimum depth is 1.6mm.

Haha - looks like there's some tread on the rear tyre - so it's worn, not slick... and it takes more than slicks to make it a racing bike for sure.

Still, I've done that before - bad tyres and bad brakes aren't what get you, it's being too stupid to ride within the limits of whatever junk you're riding - and riding within limits includes unexpected outcomes, grit or pepsi cans mid-corner and any number of other things, so it looks like he got what he deserved.

Too many idiots think it's cool to test the limits on their cornering - I lost many friends over the years. On the limit is way too much for public roads... but hey, TIT. I had some good fun blasting mine up to over 300km/h on a good stretch.