It's all going cashless!

proton

3 hours ago, smutcakes said:

This may sound like a radical idea, but thus far it has worked for me in every situation i have been in.

When i leave home i have a wallet or pocket and i in my wallet i have a couple of cards, a credit card and some cash. This allows me to pay by either cash or card as circumstances arise. No stress, no bother... surprised no one else has tried this revolutionary technique.

Old-fashioned boomer....  you forgot your house keys and are way way behind... ????

Modern world: 

Slim Wallet (small amount of emergency cash). 

Cards & Phone.

This allows me to pay by Cards, APP & QR Code, PromptPay, or by cash as circumstances arise, no stress no bother...  (phone or a code gets me back into my house).

In the UK its simple to use a smart watch for payment, ’tap ’n go’ need to get the wallet out...  This kind of revolutionary technique may blow your mind ! :whistling:

2 hours ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

Here in China apps are all the rage and very convenient.

WeChat is always open because...chat. Just open phone with finger and scan or they scan you (can set different levels of security). Only drawback is can only link to one bank account now.

With Alipay you can pay any bills and transfer money between bank accounts. Also it links up with Taobao where you can only pay if enough cash in your wallet.

Both can be used on the Metro and buses (in some cities) and then there's Didi taxi without which most foreigners would be stranded somewhere ???? 

When I come back to to LOS I think I'll have great difficulty switching back to paper money ????

You won't need to switch to paper money.  You may need some for nickle/dime sort of things, but scanpay is ubiquitous now.  

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I am sure many have - but in Thailand that CC may not be accepted, be charged more and have overseas fees charged.  Very few expats have local credit cards.  Then we had the issue of out of sight 1 minute and a clone made.  Yes money may be returned in time but can cause real issues if depending on it and card is locked out.

If you have a savings account with a Thai bank, IME they will issue a debit card if one asks. I doubt they would issue credit cards to foreigners, they probably have enough on their plate with the Thai population.

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Adjusting to, adopting to, liking tech is a personal choice...  but I do hope people aren’t making blind decisions based on a negative bias - thats all. 

I am not a complete fossil, I have an Australian debit card with a smart chip in it, so it is just a matter of waving it over the doohickey in any Australian supermarket to pay. No fumbling.

Which makes me wonder why Thai debit cards don't have the same feature, the cynic in me is thinking a phone is more profitable to a seller and the service provider than a piece of plastic.

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I am not a complete fossil, I have an Australian debit card with a smart chip in it, so it is just a matter of waving it over the doohickey in any Australian supermarket to pay. No fumbling.

Which makes me wonder why Thai debit cards don't have the same feature, the cynic in me is thinking a phone is more profitable to a seller and the service provider than a piece of plastic.

In the UK we can do the same with our Phone and Watch etc.. just wave it over the ‘doohickey’... 

In Thailand all of my cards (Credit cards and bank cards) have the ‘Wireless option’ (withe wifi looking fan symbol on them).... but in many places the ‘tap ’n go’ function just doesn’t work....

.... Thats just Thai stores not really getting onboard with that tech yet, meanwhile they’ve all gone for the QR code payment which IMO is strange... they seem to have leapfrogged the tap ’n go...  

I’ve only managed to see the ‘tap ’n go’ (waving your card of the doohickey) work in a coupe of shops in Thailand (Decathlon being one of them). 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You can use it at the MRT, they just added a Visa scan onto the turnstiles 

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats just purely emotional... Bill shock is of course a thing.... 

but then, those same peole who suffer bill shock also would find themselves thinking...  ‘hangon, I had 10,000 baht in my wallet 5 days ago.... ‘ !! 

If you scan a qr code you can give it a group with your payment so you can still keep track of what you spend it on. Works better than remembering where i spend my cash on. 

Let us not forget the demographics of the forum, older people. So its not so strange they are IN GENERAL more resistant to change, and IN GENERAL less tech savvy.

Plus we are in a foreign country so its also harder to learn things like this. 

So I am not surprised by some of the reactions. For me its a blessing this works better then cash.

Though there is merit in the remark that by going digital we give away some control. But as long as cash is still accepted people have options.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Let us not forget the demographics of the forum, older people. So its not so strange they are IN GENERAL more resistant to change, and IN GENERAL less tech savvy.

Plus we are in a foreign country so its also harder to learn things like this. 

So I am not surprised by some of the reactions. For me its a blessing this works better then cash.

Though there is merit in the remark that by going digital we give away some control. But as long as cash is still accepted people have options.

Rather ageist of you once again .

BTW, how do you know how old all the posters on this forum are ?

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Facts are facts and I made it clear that i said IN GENERAL. Anyone doubting that younger people are IN GENERAL more tech savvy should really re-educate themselves.

How you know the age, as most ar retired here you can see that in the visa section for retirement visas.

Ageism is not ageism when its factual. Do you also think that an the average old guy can sprint as fast as the average teenager ?  Or is that agism too ?

Just now, robblok said:

Facts are facts and I made it clear that i said IN GENERAL. Anyone doubting that younger people are IN GENERAL more tech savvy should really re-educate themselves.

How you know the age, as most ar retired here you can see that in the visa section for retirement visas.

Ageism is not ageism when its factual. Do you also think that an the average old guy can sprint as fast as the average teenager ?  Or is that agism too ?

You can get retirement visas from 50 years old  and also, you don't need to be "tech savvy" or need an "education" to be able to use a mobile phone .

As long as you can read and you have the ability to move your finger to a screen , then you can use a mobile phone .

You aren't highly sophisticated, tech savy and educated.........................just because you can use a mobile phone .

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You can get retirement visas from 50 years old  and also, you don't need to be "tech savvy" or need an "education" to be able to use a mobile phone .

As long as you can read and you have the ability to move your finger to a screen , then you can use a mobile phone .

You aren't highly sophisticated, tech savy and educated.........................just because you can use a mobile phone .

The argument seems more like a rambling than anything else..... 

In this context being tech-savvy is knowing where to move your finger to on that phone when faced with new information, new formats, new apps, new systems.

For younger people the interfaces are more intuitive because their minds are more adaptable than ours. 

Of course, age is not the sole factor in being able to adapt quickly to new IT, banking apps, new payment methods etc... some of us are slower than others for a range of reasons from IQ, to exposure, to frequency of use etc... and of course age is also a factor. 

Thats why youngsters are always helping their parents with their phones, computers, getting the printer network working again etc... 

Some are more tech savvy than others....  and in general a younger generation is more tech-savvy than the generation before them.

Now if you want to discuss exactly what tech savvy means we’ll end up going down a rabbit hole of debate and discussion, but for the purposes of this thread its adapting quickly to new payment methods without being concerned because there is no tangible transaction.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats why youngsters are always helping their parents with their phones, computers, getting the printer network working again etc... 

Some are more tech savvy than others....  and in general a younger generation is more tech-savvy than the generation before them.

I'd agree with that, my son is my technical support.

Although I would point out as new skills come to the fore, others get lost.

I can drive any car with a manual gearshift, my son can't.

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The argument seems more like a rambling than anything else..... 

In this context being tech-savvy is knowing where to move your finger to on that phone when faced with new information, new formats, new apps, new systems.

For younger people the interfaces are more intuitive because their minds are more adaptable than ours. 

Of course, age is not the sole factor in being able to adapt quickly to new IT, banking apps, new payment methods etc... some of us are slower than others for a range of reasons from IQ, to exposure, to frequency of use etc... and of course age is also a factor. 

Now if you want to discuss exactly what tech savvy means we’ll end up going down a rabbit hole of debate and discussion, but for the purposes of this thread its adapting quickly to new payment methods without being concerned because there is no tangible transaction.

Well written, I was not trying to make out old people as senile or anything like that. I put IN GENERAL twice there just to prevent remarks like the one i got.

I must say i think frequency of use is really important. Its not hard to learn but you need to use it a few times to master it. I

Another big part is the willingness to accept stuff like this and try new things.  

First time i played with crypto wallets i was not comfortable even though I love computers and technology. Once i used it a few times it was no problem.

54 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Seriously, it's hardly controversial to say that the majority of posters here are fairly old.  It's certainly not ageist.  And you don't need to take a survey of everyone, just read the content.

Nothing wrong with it, it's just pretty well accepted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

ser, if you're still using your debit card instead of Apple Pay or Google Pay on your NFC-enabled smartphone then you're doing it wrong. 

both of those services use virtual card numbers which means the merchant's POS terminal can't harvest your actual card details. 

46 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Seriously, it's hardly controversial to say that the majority of posters here are fairly old.  It's certainly not ageist.  And you don't need to take a survey of everyone, just read the content.

Nothing wrong with it, it's just pretty well accepted.

Saying that old people have difficulty using phone .

Even the old uneducated, never been to school Thais Grandparents in the village can use mobile phones , and some of them get confused about using traffic lights in the city 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In the UK we can do the same with our Phone and Watch etc.. just wave it over the ‘doohickey’... 

In Thailand all of my cards (Credit cards and bank cards) have the ‘Wireless option’ (withe wifi looking fan symbol on them).... but in many places the ‘tap ’n go’ function just doesn’t work....

.... Thats just Thai stores not really getting onboard with that tech yet, meanwhile they’ve all gone for the QR code payment which IMO is strange... they seem to have leapfrogged the tap ’n go...  

I’ve only managed to see the ‘tap ’n go’ (waving your card of the doohickey) work in a coupe of shops in Thailand (Decathlon being one of them). 

I have only been to two decathlon store, although I shop online .. I was blown away, you just put your basket on the counter and it has already scanned the contents, amazing. However, I never managed to get my card to work, I had to go outside the store to the ATMs. Decathalon are next gen, their mail order system is pretty amazing too.

Sorry, totally OT .. just saying. Im not too sure what the tech is, NFC I would imagine, but just imagine Makro with this technology, no need for the assistant to manually scan an item whilst bending over, transferring the contents of one trolley to the next. 

8 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Saying that old people have difficulty using phone .

Even the old uneducated, never been to school Thais Grandparents in the village can use mobile phones , and some of them get confused about using traffic lights in the city 

Using a mobile phone is different from using a banking app. Now I am not saying that this goes for all older people. That was why the in general. My dad is ok with mobile phone and apps.. mom .. total disaster. But you will find few young kids that cant use apps on mobile phones better then older people.

Is this so hard to admit. What is your problem if it does not apply to you so be it.  

Everyone can use a mobile phone to call, not everyone can use all apps on their phone. 

33 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I have only been to two decathlon store, although I shop online .. I was blown away, you just put your basket on the counter and it has already scanned the contents, amazing. However, I never managed to get my card to work, I had to go outside the store to the ATMs. Decathalon are next gen, their mail order system is pretty amazing too.

Sorry, totally OT .. just saying. Im not too sure what the tech is, NFC I would imagine, but just imagine Makro with this technology, no need for the assistant to manually scan an item whilst bending over, transferring the contents of one trolley to the next. 

What card are you referring too ? If you once bought something at decathlon just giving you their email address is enough. Last time i think paid there with my Thai debit card but i think they also accept cash ? Maybe your card was the problem ?

Not trying to put you down or anything trying to be helpful here to see what the problem is but wording it carefully so I dont get shot down by some people. Who seem to be easily offended.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

What card are you referring too ? If you once bought something at decathlon just giving you their email address is enough. Last time i think paid there with my Thai debit card but i think they also accept cash ? Maybe your card was the problem ?

Not trying to put you down or anything trying to be helpful here to see what the problem is but wording it carefully so I dont get shot down by some people. Who seem to be easily offended.

lol, no biggie .. not offended.

tbh, I dont remember, it was a while back. prolly my Kasikorn bronze card. It doesn't matter, it was probably at a time of transition, more to do with Kasikorn than the store.

What I was trying to say is that I like the way that Decathalon adopt tech, rather than finding a solution for my issue or complaining when it doesn't work. Coming from the village, like I say, everyone accepts QR, but we certainly don't have "tap and go" or "wave" - I don't have much success with debit cards in general, the only other place I would use a card is McD's and the card readers are so obsolete there, they are held to the stands with tape.

Not only are Decathalon leading in tech, it's also about account security. I remember in addition to NFC checkouts and "wave" payment, that didnt work, that the manager was called with a mobile traditional card reader. For the duration, he wouldn't touch my card. I had to insert and withdraw the card and follow his lead, when we both gave up, he was most apologetic, and offered a solution - I was more interested to getting my card to work as "tap and go" because I had never used it before, as opposed to McD's where the guy pulled the card from the reader and wiped it on his dirty apron.

There was a post from a tourist on reddit the other week, he was shopping in Central, and the shop assistant requested his card for payment, then promptly walked across the shop, with the tourist running in panic behind, handed it to the cashier, who left it on the counter, then the card vanished from sight. The poster quite understandably freaked out, as certainly in the UK, this would never be allowed to happen. As my experience with Decathalon, shop assistants are trained not to touch the card, let alone turn around and swipe it through a machine out of customers view.

We get kind of immune to these practices as they seem to be widely accepted, which is another reason i'm happier to move to cashless. When I request to pay for diesel, instead of my card being taken away out of sight and then a slip brought back to sign, the QR is printed off and brought to the car, an all round safer solution to me.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

ser, if you're still using your debit card instead of Apple Pay or Google Pay on your NFC-enabled smartphone then you're doing it wrong. 

both of those services use virtual card numbers which means the merchant's POS terminal can't harvest your actual card details. 

What you say may be quite true, except I only pay cash at merchants. The debit card is for when I go shopping on Lazada.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

What you say may be quite true, except I only pay cash at merchants. The debit card is for when I go shopping on Lazada.

oh I meant in Oz. I don't think Google Pay is supported here. my GPay app won't open here so I'm assuming Thailand don't like it.

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

oh I meant in Oz. I don't think Google Pay is supported here. my GPay app won't open here so I'm assuming Thailand don't like it.

When I was in Oz, I used a debit card, and it was a matter of waving it over the terminal to pay. If someone was harvesting my details, they never used them to milk my account.

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

My Samsung pay app opens up, and so does the payment app on my Smart watch, but then I have yet to find a place where it can be used.  No it's not an apple watch.....lol

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 10:40 PM, josephbloggs said:

Don't be silly, the whole world is going cashless.  I just got back from the UK and no-one uses cash there anymore - several business will not even accept cash at all.  

Yes lemmings or zombies never question the media do as they say . Never need to think for your self they do it all for you . Yesterday i was in Tesco Lotus a lady had a problem paying with her phone , she gave the phone and details of her account to the cashier . The cashier looked at me smiled and rolled her eyes up wards .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

Yes lemmings or zombies never question the media do as they say . Never need to think for your self they do it all for you . Yesterday i was in Tesco Lotus a lady had a problem paying with her phone , she gave the phone and details of her account to the cashier . The cashier looked at me smiled and rolled her eyes up wards .

Sorry what has the media got to do with it?

Technology evolves, society evolves, advances in payment technology is not driven by the media, whatever are you on about?    

I use pay wave because it is super convenient and faster than cash and I don't have to carry change..  The media has never told me to do that believe it or not, I made my own decision. I am not a zombie or a lemming either.  Seeing as we are throwing names around are you a luddite?

13 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Sorry what has the media got to do with it?

Technology evolves, society evolves, advances in payment technology is not driven by the media, whatever are you on about?    

I use pay wave because it is super convenient and faster than cash and I don't have to carry change..  The media has never told me to do that believe it or not, I made my own decision. I am not a zombie or a lemming either.  Seeing as we are throwing names around are you a luddite?

no i am not a luddite , i just want to keep what i spend to myself , i prefer privacy and do not want people in power to know where my money is being spent . as they say here, Up To You .dont get up set you give your self a head ache ,