61-year-old driver hit by motorbike rider and dies while switching drivers on highway roadside in Pattaya

webfact

image.jpeg

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Bang Lamung, Pattaya — A 61-year-old male driver was hit by a motorbike and died while switching drivers on the highway roadside due to fatigue.

At 9 p.m. Tuesday, June 7th, Pol. Lt. Col. Phakhonphon Siriwutikapraph from the Pattaya Police Station, was notified of a road accident with two injured people on Highway Route 7.

Police and rescue personnel arrived at the scene to find the first male victim Prathan Tansiri, 61, in critical condition. He was given CPR but later passed away due to serious injuries, according to reports. 

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/06/09/61-year-old-driver-hit-by-motorbike-rider-and-dies-while-switching-drivers-on-highway-roadside-in-pattaya/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-06-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Sad 3

What can you do in an emergency? Car was as far left as possible. Lights on and hopefully well visible on a Merc.

Bike: obviously on the stretch before tollgate.

Allowed or not? I don't know but seen regularly.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

What can you do in an emergency? Car was as far left as possible. Lights on and hopefully well visible on a Merc.

Bike: obviously on the stretch before tollgate.

Allowed or not? I don't know but seen regularly.

There is a no bikes sign where one goes up the flyover off Sukhumvit North. Bikes coming out of the tunnel can see it easily. ????

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, connda said:

Pretty darn sad isn't it.  However, I do something that most Thais do not do.  Before I exit my car, I look in the rearview mirror.  If anything is coming, I wait.  And I yield to oncoming traffic behind me.

Thais on the other don't seem to look, don't seem to care, and they don't yield -  They just flip the door open, get out, and assume that oncoming traffic will avoid them.

That was a fatal mistake for this guy.  And it's probably a fatal mistake for a large number of Thais each year.
They don't look before exiting their vehicles, they don't care - then they get killed.  I hope the motorcyclist is Ok.

Not really enough information in the OP but, looking at the photo, it seems that the collision occurred at the rear of the car. So not a case of stepping out of the car into the path of the bike.

9 minutes ago, connda said:

Pretty darn sad isn't it.  However, I do something that most Thais do not do.  Before I exit my car, I look in the rearview mirror.  If anything is coming, I wait.  And I yield to oncoming traffic behind me.

Thais on the other don't seem to look, don't seem to care, and they don't yield -  They just flip the door open, get out, and assume that oncoming traffic will avoid them.

That was a fatal mistake for this guy.  And it's probably a fatal mistake for a large number of Thais each year.
They don't look before exiting their vehicles, they don't care - then they get killed.  I hope the motorcyclist is Ok.

Is the correct answer.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It is a motorway, they should not be stopping on it. Also I doubt the motorcycle should have been on it too!

i agree no stopping on any motorway - but no bikes allowed --AH !!!!!!!

o

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There is a no bikes sign where one goes up the flyover off Sukhumvit North. Bikes coming out of the tunnel can see it easily. ????

Yes but that's just for the overpass bit (and yes I also know no bikes allowed in the tunnel....)

As @KhunBENQ said presumably on the stretch before the tollgate where there are no limitations on bikes.

52 minutes ago, connda said:

You are 1000% correct, but how many times those Bikes don't have lights or what happens a lot here, people coming home from early morning market and their shopping bags obscure the headlights! ????

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, topt said:

Yes but that's just for the overpass bit (and yes I also know no bikes allowed in the tunnel....)

As @KhunBENQ said presumably on the stretch before the tollgate where there are no limitations on bikes.

this area i pass one time each month both way of no toll section h7

sign can be viewed also at small entrance after pay toll roadway to pattaya

here is photo of sign in position many year

7street.png.6c1860a93fb49360fbd20ae6c0745978.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So many flawed decisions culminating in loss of life.

- Motorcyclist riding illegally on the motorway

- Car stops on the motorway

- Man exits vehicle without being sure nothing is coming

An unnecessary loss of like because of corner cutting....    

The idea to change drivers was of course correct, but they could have stopped 5 mins later in a safer area.

The one thing which really stands out from so many of these incidents is how often an utter and total lack of attention is highlighted when a vehicle gets driven or riden into a stationary object (usually a parked lorry or car). 

This is the road in the day time....   clearly no motorcyclist should be on there. But then how does a motorcyclist ride straight into a car ????? (did the car driver turn off their lights ?)

Screenshot 2022-06-09 at 08.26.26.png

1 hour ago, topt said:

Its about 2km from the entrance to the motorway.

Everyone knows - no motorcycles in the motorway.

There are signs - no motorcycles.

Here is the sign at the entrance and below that is the point at which the incident happened. 

Unless the motorcyclist was a Traffic Police officer there was no way a motorcyclist should have been there. 

But the point is, the same idiot deriving a car would have hit a stationary vehicle... and then the other point is that was not a sensible place to stop. 

image.thumb.png.ec50009a5a6dae674679586906c71550.png

Screenshot 2022-06-09 at 08.40.26.png

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Here is the sign at the entrance and below that is the point at which the incident happened. 

So the accident was on the 7 after the tollgate? If so then I sit corrected as presumed before.

If bikes are not allowed on the pre motorway proper stretch then unfortunately it has never been enforced in my experience as I see bikes day in/out (including BIB two up) using the road and the exit/entrances which are before the toll gates when heading north.

I understand the restriction on the access flyover from Suk but not the rest of the that stretch.

45 minutes ago, SomchaiDIY said:

in thailand the reading of road in front is not good

this is problem also with work safety

i have not the answer why this problem is bad here

IMHO because of no real driving education.

In Europe you have to take driving lessons and then have to take a test where an exterminator (not from your driving school, but from a government organization) sits next to you while you drive for 30-45 mins. If you make to many failures, you have to take the test again. Waiting time for a new test 1-2 months (maybe even more).

Here in Thailand you just drive around a simple course with the exterminator looking from a distance!!

1 minute ago, MJCM said:
51 minutes ago, SomchaiDIY said:

in thailand the reading of road in front is not good

this is problem also with work safety

i have not the answer why this problem is bad here

Expand  

IMHO because of no real driving education.

In Europe you have to take driving lessons and then have to take a test where an exterminator

Bet that's a killer of a job ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, topt said:

So the accident was on the 7 after the tollgate? If so then I sit corrected as presumed before.

If bikes are not allowed on the pre motorway proper stretch then unfortunately it has never been enforced in my experience as I see bikes day in/out (including BIB two up) using the road and the exit/entrances which are before the toll gates when heading north.

I understand the restriction on the access flyover from Suk but not the rest of the that stretch.

The spot appears to be before the tolls. 

The ‘no enforcement’ thing comes into play which is why the road is used by motorcyclists - I’d probably use it too if it was a lot more convenient. 

In BKK I use bridges, underpasses on my motorcycle all the time (motorcycles are not supposed to). 

At Sukhmvit 50 (in BKK) use a flyover (over sukhumvit) to leapfrog over Sukhumvit road and above traffic before exiting just before toll booth all the time.....  these regulations are never enforced...  but they are silly regulations anyway. 

Whether the motorcyclist should have been there or not pretty much misses the issue...  which is one person operating a vehicle hit a stationary vehicle (idiots do this in cars too).... 

The issue in Thailand of course is people not paying attention and the other issue is people stopping their vehicles in dangerous places.