What Books Are You Reading (2022)

connda

28 minutes ago, biervoormij said:

I have a large library of ebooks that I believe were downloaded from a torrent site but not sure how I would share it. Lately I have not been using this library but getting most of the books I have been reading from https://z-lib.org/ which @OBOR shared on this thread back in June.

Exactly the same. Pleasantly surprised how fast books get on these sites, ones that have just been published. I still check on a torrent site as they will occasionally have newly published books that Z or Genesis might not.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, biervoormij said:

I have a large library of ebooks that I believe were downloaded from a torrent site but not sure how I would share it. Lately I have not been using this library but getting most of the books I have been reading from https://z-lib.org/ which @OBOR shared on this thread back in June.

Thank you for that link. I will have a root in there over the next few days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading Tolkien's The Silmarillian. 
It is simply a beautiful, wondrous mythology set in the realm of Tolkien's great works.  I'm about 1/4 the way though and it is a worthwhile read. 

On 10/29/2022 at 12:24 PM, biervoormij said:

FYI.  There is no such thing as a free lunch.  That domain along with a number of other "library" domains have been "seized" by "you_know_who." 

Thank goodness Project Gutenberg https://www.gutenberg.org  is still alive and well for books that are in the public domain. So, many classics, such as those by Dickens, are still available as their titles are not covered by copyright.  Link to PG copyright description pages:  https://www.gutenberg.org/help/copyright.html

On 8/3/2022 at 12:46 PM, sanuk711 said:

I just read Michael Connelly latest Lincoln lawyer book---Law of Innocence..

And The Ghost (Robert Harris)...I thought both quite readable----

.both in Kindle...anyone want PM me

A few days ago finished reading the Law of Innocence, read it in one sitting overnight, could not put it down.

On 10/29/2022 at 12:24 PM, biervoormij said:

What I did when I shared my library was simply posted the hard drive they were on to my mate and he copied the library to his hard drive and sent mine back.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

What I did when I shared my library was simply posted the hard drive they were on to my mate and he copied the library to his hard drive and sent mine back.

1. create a new gmail account with 6 - 30 alphanumerics using a simple password
  2. save your account name and password where you can find it
  3. login to new account
  4. click on the 9 dots arranged in a square near the top right of the web page
  5. select "Drive"
  6. select the books you want to share, drag them to window, wait for them to upload
  7. send the gmail account username and password to your friend(s)
  8. tell them how to login, activate Google Drive and how to download the books
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NasirNelson said:

That's cool, but how can I add books there myself?

On 11/8/2022 at 11:01 PM, gamb00ler said:

select the books you want to share, drag them to window, wait for them to upload

On 6/9/2022 at 12:20 PM, spidermike007 said:

Does anyone have any authors they would recommend, who write as well as Barry Eisler, Tom Clancy, or Vince Flynn? Even Tom Wood is good enough, with his Victor series, though he is a bit short on background, character development and atmosphere.

Espionage, assassins, spy stuff, etc? Prefer contemporary, as opposed to historic, like Silva, Ludlum, Forsyth, le Carre, etc. Granted those are great writers, but more historic. 

Have tried so many, and most are real hacks. Lee Child, Joseph Finder, Scot Harvath, Brad Taylor, Ben Coes, Brad Thor, Mark Greaney, Deon Meyer, L.T. Ryan, and others. Most bore me to tears. 

Try Philip Kerr, particularly the Bernie Gunther series. Usually set in Germany during or after WWII. Weaves fiction with historical characters. Fast-paced, all-action thrillers featuring espionage, political intrigue and all the associated skullduggery. Prussian Blue is a good one to start with - a real page turner. Kerr was a great writer, he passed away not that long ago. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vietem said:

Try Philip Kerr, particularly the Bernie Gunther series. Usually set in Germany during or after WWII. Weaves fiction with historical characters. Fast-paced, all-action thrillers featuring espionage, political intrigue and all the associated skullduggery. Prussian Blue is a good one to start with - a real page turner. Kerr was a great writer, he passed away not that long ago. 

I did. He was a good writer. I prefer more contemporary work. Other than Barry Eisler, not alot of good writers at this time, in the espionage, assassin, special ops arena. Victor Wood is halfway decent. The fact that guys like Sinclair, Childs, Sanford, and others sell so well, shows that the demand is there. But, modestly skilled writers are the order of the day. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Possible Marathon Re-reading of The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes, Volumes One and Two, plus the complete works of John Cheever. 

It can be imagined that my close intimacy with Sherlock Holmes had interested me deeply in crime, and that after his disappearance I never failed to read with care the various problems which came before the public, and I even
attempted, more than once, for my own private satisfaction, to employ his methods in their solution, though with indifferent success. 

• 2 weeks later...