Mid life crisis

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Hit 54, became divorved, bought a Porsche Cayenne, and my Condo in BKK, travelled through the country using the zip lines in Chiang Mai,  and climbing the mountains in Khao Yai.  Then I realized my body was not meant for the abuse and I was not a teenager anymore.  Sold the Porsche and settled down to a life of relaxation.

I was still playing teenager, first 5 yrs here (45-50 yrs old).  Doubt if my family & friends would recognize me now ... "who are you, and what have you done with LA"  ????

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I did not have a mid-life crisis, I had an epiphany.

A sudden spark of something highly valuable never seen or heard of before. Something like that?  That might qualify for a Ph.D.

Edited by scorecard

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

My epiphany was stopping looking for a wife, it's been great ever since 

Mine was getting shot of my marriage.

I suppose I had a second epiphany when I realized Asian women were so much easier to get along with than Western women, all I had to do was provide money.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Grecian said:

My midlife crises was the moment i substituted myself from the game. Walking off the pitch was painful as fudge. Pain until deep into the tunnel and the last of the crowd noise could be heard.

It ended (mostly) when I was in the players dressing room, in a warm bath and realised that this was actually quiet a comfortable place to be.

spent quite a bit flying around Asia while walking off the pitch mind.

Ah, Mr. Grecian. Based on the responses to your clever post, metaphor is a touch too literary for this site. But still, a delightful little composition. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, I'm 77 years old and have yet to have this mid-life crisis. Either:

I'm not yet in mid-life.

I passed it and didn't recognise it.

I don't understand what 'crisis' is.

I'm OK with the life I have and will continue to get older, comfortably... and I'm not a wealthy guy, I just have what I need.

There you go. 

Sorted!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Grecian said:

My midlife crises was the moment i substituted myself from the game. Walking off the pitch was painful as fudge. Pain until deep into the tunnel and the last of the crowd noise could be heard.

It ended (mostly) when I was in the players dressing room, in a warm bath and realised that this was actually quiet a comfortable place to be.

Yep, weed was just made legal!

Yes I married my wife of 8 years and known for 11 years, who is 36 years younger than me. I learnt that it was a great idea, at 30 years old she still keeps me young.

Edited by jimn

5 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Well, I'm 77 years old and have yet to have this mid-life crisis. Either:

I'm not yet in mid-life.

I passed it and didn't recognise it.

I don't understand what 'crisis' is.

I'm OK with the life I have and will continue to get older, comfortably... and I'm not a wealthy guy, I just have what I need.

There you go. 

Sorted!

It's a cliche.  Must be some comfort in repeating what other people say, I don't get it myself.

I was looking to retire at a relatively early age, and when people heard this nearly everyone responded the same way:

"what are you going to do?"

me: "anything I want to!"

Response was always along the lines of "oh no, that's not how it works!"

Huh?  How would they know? 

Well, I retired at 50 and packed off to Brazil. (When I told my plan to a former friend he immediately said "mid-life crisis!", always was quick with the cliches)  I moved on when the Brazil thing didn't work out and have counted my blessings on that one since (and I'd like to thank my former gf's b_tchy sisters for turning her against me ). 

I'm not wealthy, and even when I had a lot more money I tried doing some fancy living and just didn't take to it.  I don't have use for a big house/apartment with a lot of rooms, for me a car is an appliance as opposed to a socio-economic statement, and while I can appreciate wearing nice clothes I'm too lazy to fuss with them, drip-dry cottons for me any day.  My prize luxury item is a good coffee grinder.

It's been 20 years, I know what comes next and I'm ready for it.

But yeah, cliches.  It's sort of like the way some reference psychology: it makes it look like they know more than they actually do.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2022 at 8:47 PM, Grecian said:

The OP asked about mid life crises not psychiatric illness.

12 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Yep, weed was just made legal!

But not the stuff that gets you stoned. Only the stuff they make ropes from. Over 0.2% THC is still a category 5 narcotic.  The BiB will have a field day shaking down all the stoners who thought weed had been legalized.

On 6/10/2022 at 8:47 PM, Grecian said:

Brilliant description. As if it describes my midlife crises. An enormous amount of grief with ultimately a great life.

On 6/10/2022 at 8:39 PM, Sparktrader said:

Did you have one??

If do what did you learn?

Apparently I did. Personally, I don't recall it as such with no urges for fast bikes and/or touting a pony tail with my comb over. But my room mate learned not to leave stuff lying around on the floor as I tended to kick stuff out of my way a lot.

Not sure if I'm on the verge of one of these mid-life thingys, but I suspect I've seen others going through them now, and I know what I'm NOT going to do:

-get fat

-get a tribal tattoo or flame tattoo on my arms or frankly, any tattoo whatsoever

-grow a man bun

-begin wearing wife beaters and cargo shorts

I've already had the Harley and the sports cars, so I don't need to add anything there. Bike is gone because now that I'm in Thailand and would prefer to see a late-life---crisis or not---I refrain from riding here. Sports cars for me are for fun, not to be seen. There are a few things in life that exceed expectations, and putting one's foot down on the open road in a Ferrari is one of them, but alas, there's no Big Sur highway in Thailand.

Another thing in life that---in my opinion---exceeds expectations is great sex. That is incentive enough to keep hitting the gym, keep the body tight, and maintain the stamina one needs to do the needful. If a drift toward being shallow and dissolute is a sign of MLC, maybe I've arrived.

Edited by Walker88